PDA

View Full Version : Today’s News, Friday , Aug.29

denime
08-29-2008, 06:20 AM
Contrary to rumours, Ruiz says he's happy to be here
Striker will lead new-look offence against Chivas USA tomorrow night

MORGAN CAMPBELL

He arrived before dawn Tuesday morning after a five-hour flight from Los Angeles.
After clearing customs at Pearson, Carlos Ruiz hopped a cab to BMO Field to meet his new Toronto FC teammates, then travelled two more hours to a team retreat at Blue Mountain resort.
And he was happy to do it.
Ruiz, a striker acquired in a trade with the Los Angeles Galaxy last week, met local media yesterday after two days in seclusion with the team at Blue Mountain.
Ruiz has heard the rumours that he wasn't happy with the trade and contemplated not reporting. He said yesterday they're not true.
In fact, Ruiz said the Galaxy offered him trades to several MLS teams, including first-place Columbus and L.A.-based Chivas USA, but he chose to come to Toronto, partly because soccer matters here.
"I really liked when I came here and played (last season). The fans are the best in the league," said Ruiz, who will debut with TFC when they visit Chivas USA tomorrow night.

Read more (http://www.thestar.com/Sports/Soccer/article/487448)

TFC down two more
LARRY MILLSON
Toronto FC will be losing two more players to international duty when it plays a Major League Soccer game at BMO Field on Sept. 6 against Chivas USA, the team it plays Saturday at Carson, Calif.
Defenders Marvell Wynne and Julius James are the latest to be called up by their national teams, TFC head coach John Carver said Thursday. Wynne will be called up by the U.S. team as World Cup qualifiers continue and James will be called up by Trinidad and Tobago.

Read more (http://www.globesports.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080828.wspttfc28/GSStory/GlobeSportsSoccer/home)

Ruiz has 'em buzzing
TFC looks to new striker to kickstart attack

By DEAN MCNULTY (dean.mcnulty@sunmedia.ca), SUN MEDIA
Carlos Ruiz has spent so much time in an airplane the past week that, on his first day of training with his new Toronto FC teammates, he had to ask more than once where exactly he was.
"I had just flown from (Los Angeles) to Guatemala, then back to L.A., then to Toronto," he said yesterday at BMO Field, where he has landed after TFC traded a pair of Major League Soccer draft choices to get him from the Los Angeles Galaxy. "When I arrived (Tuesday), the team put me right on a bus for a two-hour ride to who knows where."
Actually, it was to the Blue Mountain Resort in Collingwood, but the 28-year-old striker can be forgiven if the surroundings were unfamiliar.
"I didn't know where I was," he said. "I had to ask some of the guys."
In the three days since, Ruiz has learned a lot about his new team, his new city and his new coaches.
"Toronto is a fantastic city," he said. "I wanted to come here."

Read more (http://www.torontosun.com/Sports/OtherSports/2008/08/29/6604196-sun.html)

Julius James gets call-up
Defender to represent Trinidad and Tobago

Toronto FC defender Julius James has received his first call-up for Trinidad and Tobago. James will be in the squad for World Cup Qualifiers against Guatemala and the United States next week. The defender previously took part in a training camp with his national team but it will be his first experience of being in the squad for a game. "It's really great for me and a very special thing to get a call-up for my country," said James. "There are a lot of international players that belong to Trinidad and Tobago so it's a big honour. It's an amazing feeling right now. Before the World Cup they called me down to Florida to train. I was still in college then and I didn't feel I was ready."

Read more (http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20080828&content_id=183834&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280)

Dichio travels to Los Angeles
Striker recovering from concussion

Danny Dichio was in the Toronto FC squad that left for Los Angeles Thursday afternoon ahead of Saturday's clash with Chivas USA. Dichio was an unused substitute in the 1-1 draw with New England last week and only played for two minutes against New York a week earlier, when he suffered more problems with concussion. The striker has been struggling with concussion symptoms since the loss to Vancouver Whitecaps on July 1st.

Read more (http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20080828&content_id=183838&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280)

Carver on Chivas clash
Reds coach excited to see Ruiz play

Toronto FC coach John Carver describes Saturday's clash with Chivas USA as a "huge game" for both clubs. The Reds go in search of their third away win of the season, whilst Chivas are without a win in six league games and lost in Panama in the CONCACAF Champions League in midweek. "They're not having the best of times, and we need a win, so it's a massive game" said Carver. "I'd rather not play two games back to back against the same side, but we have to get on with it. I know they're missing a few players through injury and suspension and they had a game in the Champions League in midweek, but they're at home and will feel that it's an opportunity to get three points because we've only won away from home a couple of times this season. We've got to make sure we go there and disappoint them. I've got to decide what system we will play, and make a decision as to who I leave out. It's good because I have options now with Carlos Ruiz here."

Read more (http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20080828&content_id=183843&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280)

Wynne leads U.S. national team call-ups
Toronto FC defener one of seven MLS players called for World Cup qualifiers

Fresh off an Olympic campaign, Marvell Wynne could earn his second senior United States national team cap as the speedy Toronto FC defender was named to Bob Bradley's 20-man roster for upcoming World Cup qualifiers at Cuba and at home for Trinidad and Tobago. Wynne, a former MLS SuperDraft No. 1 pick, earned his first cap against Argentina in the 2007 Copa America. He joins fellow Olympians Maurice Edu, Tim Howard, Michael Bradley and Sacha Kljestan of Chivas USA on the squad, which was announced Thursday.
It's a big week for Edu, who recently completed a transfer from Toronto FC to Glasgow Rangers and could play in the Old Firm derby Sunday against Celtic.

The rest of Article is about USA NT.

Wynne A January Target
by Greg Seltzer for Soccer365

The agent for Toronto FC right back Marvell Wynne says his client is receiving lingering interest from Europe, but added that any potential transfer is likely to go down during the winter transfer window and not before Monday's continental window close.

After a star show with the U.S. Olympic team in China, the 22-year old is currently being courted by clubs in the Eredivisie and Scandinavian top flights.

"There's interest in the Netherlands and in Scandinavia," Lyle Yorks told Soccer365. "But that would be more of a January thing."

Read more (http://www.soccer365.com/holland/story_28808214501.php)

SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/SUNshineGirl/home.html) :thumbsup:

Fort York Redcoat
08-29-2008, 06:26 AM
CAn we please try to replace Edu before we get rid of Wynne?

Yohan
08-29-2008, 06:34 AM
We do have couple of serviceable rightbacks. James, Attakora and Velez...

akpatel47
08-29-2008, 07:04 AM
Now that's a sunshine girl!!

Platts
08-29-2008, 07:18 AM
Carver might look into the problems that selecting top players from small countries is having for the team. The football calendar is over-stuffed with international dates and we lose too many players to this nonsense. Maybe some quality players from bigger countries where they are not going to be called up (such as Argentina for example) would be a worthwhile tactic.

invictusTFC
08-29-2008, 07:53 AM
Carver might look into the problems that selecting top players from small countries is having for the team. The football calendar is over-stuffed with international dates and we lose too many players to this nonsense. Maybe some quality players from bigger countries where they are not going to be called up (such as Argentina for example) would be a worthwhile tactic.

Maybe it would be in the interest of the league to align their schedule with FIFA int'l dates just like every other league in the world so that teams like TFC can field a strong 11 game in and game out. I'm not sure how much some of the other clubs in the MLS are affected, but TFC has certainly suffered. Toronto hasn't been the same team since the first Int'l call-ups back in May/June.

denime
08-29-2008, 08:03 AM
If Ibrahim get's call from US U20 team we will be missing 9 players.If this is not enough for MLS to realize that they have to follow FIFA dates like the rest of the world than I don't know what has to happened to change their mind.
Postpone the whole game day,or postpone games for teams that can not put best product on the field,product that we all payed for it.If team is missing more than 50% of their roster postpone the game,how difficult that might be.

Oldtimer
08-29-2008, 08:05 AM
In fact, Ruiz said the Galaxy offered him trades to several MLS teams, including first-place Columbus and L.A.-based Chivas USA, but he chose to come to Toronto, partly because soccer matters here.

We supporters are having an impact!

icecoldbeer
08-29-2008, 09:25 AM

agreed
:yum:

flatpicker
08-29-2008, 10:23 AM

not bad at all... in that "Roadhouse" kinda way.

AL-MO
08-29-2008, 12:50 PM

There are probably plenty of players in Argentina that will never make the National Team because the best players are in Europe. These players could be great additions to TFC

Derko
08-29-2008, 01:04 PM
If Ibrahim get's call from US U20 team we will be missing 9 players.If this is not enough for MLS to realize that they have to follow FIFA dates like the rest of the world than I don't know what has to happened to change their mind.
Postpone the whole game day,or postpone games for teams that can not put best product on the field,product that we all payed for it.If team is missing more than 50% of their roster postpone the game,how difficult that might be.

I have a feeling that if the 'Girls from LAG' or the 'New Englanders' were missing more than 5 to International duty, things would change!!