PDA

View Full Version : If Wynne Leaves Not Likely Until January Transfer Window

Jitter
08-28-2008, 03:54 PM
by Greg Seltzer for Soccer365

The agent for Toronto FC right back Marvell Wynne says his client is receiving lingering interest from Europe, but added that any potential transfer is likely to go down during the winter transfer window and not before Monday's continental window close.

After a star show with the U.S. Olympic team in China, the 22-year old is currently being courted by clubs in the Eredivisie and Scandinavian top flights.

"There's interest in the Netherlands and in Scandinavia," Lyle Yorks told Soccer365. "But that would be more of a January thing."

"Right now, Marvell is focused on the MLS season. If someone wants to make an offer for after the season's over, they can talk to MLS."

With just one win from four August starts, Wynne and Toronto FC will try to get their playoff hopes back on track with a Saturday trip to face Chivas USA.

Soccer365 reporter Greg Seltzer blogs daily over at No Short Corners (http://www.noshortcorners.com/).

Smenge
08-28-2008, 03:57 PM
I can understand La Liga, Serie a, etc, but the fucking Norwegian League? How far down the pecking order has MLS become, if its top young players leave for a league in Norway?....shit, why not Iceland, or better still, Botswana?

Beach_Red
08-28-2008, 04:12 PM
Damn right. Where's that thread about the CBA being renegotiated early????

Ossington Mental Youth
08-28-2008, 04:50 PM
I can also see Eredivisie but like everyone else said, Norway? Cmon...

werewolf
08-28-2008, 04:57 PM
Update from that guys blog.

The U.S. Olympic ace is being courted by at least two teams on the continent. Seeing as how Wynne excelled against the Netherlands recently and at least three top 10 Dutch teams need a right back (FC Twente (http://www.soccer365.com/holland/story_27808141342.php), NAC Breda & NEC Nijmegen), it would stand to reason that someone there is talking with his agent.

Of course, TFC also just lost Maurice Edu, and the potential flak from selling another U.S. international would require a lot of financial soothing. It also doesn't help that MLS teams are now at diminished capacity to bring in replacements.

UPDATE: The idea that everyone is thinking January, takes the lid off of possible Eredivisie suitors - could be anyone now. And if a team like Ajax or PSV gets a hold of him, there's no telling how good he could end up being.

The Scandinavian team is surely one of the power names up there (for instance, FC Copenhagen). If a Dutch team is in, most clubs in the Nordic region would be out-muscled financially.

p.s. Why does everyone keep bringing up Norway in a Wynne thread? There is more to Scandanavia. Denmark, and even Sweden aren't that bad of leagues, certainly more potential to break into 'mainstream' Europe.

RPB_Brantford_08
08-28-2008, 05:11 PM
Wynne would be missed thats for sure buit it hasn;t happened yet.

Ossington Mental Youth
08-28-2008, 05:27 PM
Update from that guys blog.

p.s. Why does everyone keep bringing up Norway in a Wynne thread? There is more to Scandanavia. Denmark, and even Sweden aren't that bad of leagues, certainly more potential to break into 'mainstream' Europe.

Outside of one or two teams per league, those leagues arent leaps and bounds better then ours, they are about on par or a little bit better

Draracle
08-28-2008, 05:33 PM
Ajax or PSV I would be happy to see him go to. But I wouldn't want to loose him to a fringe Euro league where we will likely wander around for a few years before coming back to American and signing with New York.

At least at PSV or the ilk, he can get the best training and best exposure to give his career a real fighting chance.

AL-MO
08-28-2008, 05:35 PM
Ajax or PSV I would be happy to see him go to. But I wouldn't want to loose him to a fringe Euro league where we will likely wander around for a few years before coming back to American and signing with New York.

At least at PSV or the ilk, he can get the best training and best exposure to give his career a real fighting chance.

You think he is good enough to play on a team like this?

I don't.

Draracle
08-28-2008, 05:41 PM
You think he is good enough to play on a team like this?

I don't.

No. But if they take him, then I am fine with that. I just don't want to loose him to one of the hundreds of Euro clubs that mean shit all to someone's career. I would rather he stay here.

And I do think Wynne COULD be good enough... he just needs some more skill on the ball and some more football intelligence. I'm not so sure he has it in him.

werewolf
08-28-2008, 05:45 PM
Outside of one or two teams per league, those leagues arent leaps and bounds better then ours, they are about on par or a little bit better

I don't think the leagues are a whole lot better, but there is certianly a difference between Denmark and Finland or Norway. Most of all, it gives him more exposure, even if it isn't a top club in the league.

rocker
08-28-2008, 05:46 PM
one thing i noticed about Wynne, is that when he plays internationally he doesn't look as fast as he does in MLS.... mainly cuz at that level all the guys are pretty speedy. He's still up there with the best, but the difference between his speed and the next best guy isn't as great. That's his biggest asset right now. His second biggest asset is his ability to battle guys one on one and come away with the ball. That's useful anywhere, although maybe against better talent he wouldn't stand out as much in that regard.
His positioning is weak, as everyone knows, but maybe that could be taught?
and honestly, sometimes I think he puts himself way out of position in MLS cuz he knows he can get back. He cheats up sooooo much and rarely does he get caught on it.
I see a lot of Wynne from my seats, and you can see even when guys are out wide down the wing to await a ball, he's watching them, yet he doesn't move... he knows if the ball goes that way, he'll catch em.

jloome
08-28-2008, 06:30 PM
If he goes, it'll be to Norway or to a big Dutch, French or German club. He's not ready to play in those leagues -- aside from Norway -- but he is young enough to still be considered developmental.

Norway gets the most mention of the Scandinavian leagues because it's paying the best right now, and drawing the most American expats.

Corpand
08-28-2008, 06:40 PM
one thing i noticed about Wynne, is that when he plays internationally he doesn't look as fast as he does in MLS.... mainly cuz at that level all the guys are pretty speedy. He's still up there with the best, but the difference between his speed and the next best guy isn't as great. That's his biggest asset right now. His second biggest asset is his ability to battle guys one on one and come away with the ball. That's useful anywhere, although maybe against better talent he wouldn't stand out as much in that regard.
His positioning is weak, as everyone knows, but maybe that could be taught?
and honestly, sometimes I think he puts himself way out of position in MLS cuz he knows he can get back. He cheats up sooooo much and rarely does he get caught on it.
I see a lot of Wynne from my seats, and you can see even when guys are out wide down the wing to await a ball, he's watching them, yet he doesn't move... he knows if the ball goes that way, he'll catch em.

Sums up exactly what i think of the bugger, he's playing great here, he's still young and I think his speed has been a real positive. Still, in leagues outside the MLS, his speed might not seem as effective and THEN all his negative qualities will start shining. I think he should stay for another year, pick up a thing or two here, improve a bit and then take a shot at the Eredivisie. It will hurt him if he goes out to Europe just coz he can and wastes his years playing crappy soccer for crappy teams. Still, until we find out which teams are looking at him, my previous sentence wont mean as much.