PDA

View Full Version : Proud Carver thrives where Gullit flailed - The Guardian

Miko
08-28-2008, 08:34 AM
Proud Carver thrives where Gullit flailed

Toronto's head coach John Carver is flourishing in the MLS where Ruud Gullit, his former boss at Newcastle, struggled.

Shaka Hislop

Toronto head coach John Carver hailed the second proudest result of his entire career after seeing his depleted charges defeat Colorado 1-0, thanks to a fantastic Chad Barrett free kick, his first goal for the club. I watched this game and Carver's happiness was obvious - his post-match interview was moving to say the least.
Let me say I am slightly biased. I've known JC since the early 90s, when during my time as a player for Newcastle United he was the academy coach, doing a wonderful job under very difficult circumstances. Until researching this piece I did not realize the parallels between JC, his coaching career and the events at Los Angeles.
Both Carver and Ruud Gullit joined their respective MLS clubs (or former club, in the latter's case) at roughly the same time, although Carver's arrival could quite easily have been missed amid the fanfare that surrounded Gullit's appointment. Carver quite possibly had a soft spot for Gullit. It was Gullit who actually gave Carver his opportunity, promoting him to the first team coaching position at Newcastle in 1998. At least Gullit knows good coaches.

Read more (http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/sport/2008/08/28/proud_carver_thrives_where_gul.html)

Shaughno
08-28-2008, 08:54 AM
Wow.. very interesting article from Shaka.

bangersandmash
08-28-2008, 08:55 AM
I'm assuming that paragraph about Ruiz is out-of-date, right? I love that the Guardian spills a little ink on our league.

CoachGT
08-28-2008, 08:56 AM
Confirms a few things, like Carver's contacts for new players. Just further strengthens my feeling that Carver is a good coach, the type Toronto needs right now.

Shaughno
08-28-2008, 09:16 AM
Confirms a few things, like Carver's contacts for new players. Just further strengthens my feeling that Carver is a good coach, the type Toronto needs right now.

Something people still fail to see for some reason.

ensco
08-28-2008, 09:19 AM
The sad fact of the matter is, as with the players, guys from England come here only if they can't get decent jobs back home

Carver is an enigma to me. He's obviously a terrific, stand up guy, but his post-game antics and in-game tactics make me wonder. He does appear to be able to inspire, which is a big deal.

JonO
08-28-2008, 09:20 AM
I think I have an idea... ;)
zNWySiZpirA

jloome
08-28-2008, 10:50 AM
I believe from the style that this is a "ghosted" column; he's not really writing it, he's interviewed by a Guardian staffer who then puts it into Hislop's words.

Either that, or he's the rare athlete whose media savvy is more than just on-air.

jloome
08-28-2008, 10:52 AM
The sad fact of the matter is, as with the players, guys from England come here only if they can't get decent jobs back home

Carver is an enigma to me. He's obviously a terrific, stand up guy, but his post-game antics and in-game tactics make me wonder. He does appear to be able to inspire, which is a big deal.

This surprises me ensco as you've obviously watched a lot of footie. Euro managers act like this all the time, playing the media with extreme statements. The underlying theory is that you give them something easy to digest but still palatable and it beats them deciding what hunk to bite out of your butt.

I'm not sure how good he is at it, but that's obviously what it is. Add that to what Hislop has "written" here about his one humiliation being a corporate weasel and it might also just be that he's honest to a fault.

Beach_Red
08-28-2008, 11:26 AM

Pretty much the story of Canada, though, isn't it? Not just from England from everywhere. Not just in sports, but in everything. Explains a lot about Canada....

(okay, I'm kidding, of course. The truth is we don't know why some guys see more opportunity in another country form where they were born, we don't know why they can't get those "decent" jobs and it may have nothing at all to do with their abilities, or with them at all)

Smenge
08-28-2008, 06:54 PM
Flailed? Was Beckham beating Gullit with his wife's leg? The Guardian would not make that error in the title, so something ain't right here.....flailed, that is very funnni.

rocker
08-28-2008, 07:37 PM
that reminds me, did I not see Hislop at the all star game?
i think it was him. I remember Craig Forrest talking to a guy at the edge of the field that looked a lot like him.

scooter
08-28-2008, 07:49 PM
bottom line is that Carver is a fantastic football coach and we are lucky to have him to me he seems totally dedicated to tfc and thats what we need to move forward
its a huge challenge to put together a winning squad and i am sure our john carver is up to the challenge
kudos to carver and his staff
not so sure about mo's motivation

rocker
08-28-2008, 07:57 PM
i'm curious to see Carver in 2009, with a year of MLS's quirky rules and reality under his belt. despite being a coach before, he's still had to figure out this league, since it's unlike any other really. gotta develop a sense of what works and what doesn't, with the limits on players and all that.

SilverSamurai
08-28-2008, 08:08 PM
Pretty much the story of Canada, though, isn't it? Not just from England from everywhere. Not just in sports, but in everything. Explains a lot about Canada....

(okay, I'm kidding, of course. The truth is we don't know why some guys see more opportunity in another country form where they were born, we don't know why they can't get those "decent" jobs and it may have nothing at all to do with their abilities, or with them at all)

Their are lots of reasons why people move to other countries for work. Security, wages, lifestyle.We have it good here. Not perfect, but good.

Blizzard
08-28-2008, 08:20 PM
Flailed? Was Beckham beating Gullit with his wife's leg? The Guardian would not make that error in the title, so something ain't right here.....flailed, that is very funnni.

That's no error. Have you never heard that expression used? It perfectly describes Gullit's time in Los Angeles.

flail (flhttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/amacr.gifl)
n. A manual threshing device consisting of a long wooden handle or staff and a shorter, free-swinging stick attached to its end.

v. flailed, flail·ing, flails
v.tr. 1. To beat or strike with or as if with a flail: flailed our horses with the reins.
2. To wave or swing vigorously; thrash: flailed my arms to get their attention.
3. To thresh using a flail.

v.intr. 1. To move vigorously or erratically; thrash about: arms flailing helplessly in the water.
2. To strike or lash out violently: boxers flailing at each other in the ring.
3. To thresh grain.

RPB_Brantford_08
08-28-2008, 08:34 PM
bottom line is that Carver is a fantastic football coach and we are lucky to have him to me he seems totally dedicated to tfc and thats what we need to move forward
its a huge challenge to put together a winning squad and i am sure our john carver is up to the challenge
kudos to carver and his staff
not so sure about mo's motivation

Both Carver and Mo have done a terrific job, the team is more competitive then last season, one more win then all of last season, injuries have been reduced due to winsper's conditioning. Now if we could get mls to:

a) increase the salary cap
b) adopt fifa intl calender of Matches.

ensco
08-28-2008, 08:39 PM
This surprises me ensco as you've obviously watched a lot of footie. Euro managers act like this all the time, playing the media with extreme statements. The underlying theory is that you give them something easy to digest but still palatable and it beats them deciding what hunk to bite out of your butt.

I'm not sure how good he is at it, but that's obviously what it is. Add that to what Hislop has "written" here about his one humiliation being a corporate weasel and it might also just be that he's honest to a fault.

I do understand what you're saying. Mourinho is the master at this, but Ferguson, Ancelotti, Wenger, they all play this game.

Carver is obviously honest, indeed brutally honest. This is generally a good thing. But I think he's gone farther than he should have numerous times - ridiculing Cunningham, the "I'm going back to England" speech after the Schellotto diving exhibition, saying we would have scored if we'd had Ruiz last weekend etc etc etc. He's just struck me as too emotional, too prone to saying things that should be said behind closed doors, and nor calculating enough. When Mourinho spouts off, there's more guile, and it must be said, less heart, than you get with Carver. But "heart" is only one component of leadership.

I think he's been too conservative all season, and is locked into variants of the 4-5-1, a formation that I hate. Just my opinion. I also think that he sits guys who go on international duty in order to show the room who is boss, which is a management tactic that doesn't make sense given the thinness of MLS rosters.

But having summed up the negatives, he has real strengths, and for me the jury is out. The team was a tactical mess last year under Mo - that's fixed. Also he's an inspirational leader, and those don't grow on trees - a lot of guys love him. The guy has style. I just about melted when he crossed the pitch after a game in May to kiss the tribute banner that a supporter had made for Tommy Burns.

So we'll see. But St John he isn't - if he was all that Shaka makes him out to be, he wouldn't be here. That's all I'm saying.

Smenge
08-29-2008, 07:39 AM
That's no error. Have you never heard that expression used? It perfectly describes Gullit's time in Los Angeles.

flail (flhttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/amacr.gifl)
n. A manual threshing device consisting of a long wooden handle or staff and a shorter, free-swinging stick attached to its end.

v. flailed, flail·ing, flails
v.tr. 1. To beat or strike with or as if with a flail: flailed our horses with the reins.
2. To wave or swing vigorously; thrash: flailed my arms to get their attention.
3. To thresh using a flail.

v.intr. 1. To move vigorously or erratically; thrash about: arms flailing helplessly in the water.
2. To strike or lash out violently: boxers flailing at each other in the ring.
3. To thresh grain.

The overuse of old English in rpb amazes me...words like shite.....what the hell........flail is a word, but in the context of the sentence, should have read: failed.....read it again, and you have to agree, it was a typo.

Miko
08-29-2008, 07:46 AM
The overuse of old English in rpb amazes me...words like shite.....what the hell........flail is a word, but in the context of the sentence, should have read: failed.....read it again, and you have to agree, it was a typo.

It wasn't an RPB overuse of old English - That was the actual headline from an English website that I posted, so I guess they're entitled.

I'll make sure to ad "eh" to all postings from now on.:canada:

JonO
08-29-2008, 09:02 AM
shite fine, but flail? Really? Hardly "old english"...

Shaughno
08-29-2008, 09:31 AM
I also think that he sits guys who go on international duty in order to show the room who is boss, which is a management tactic that doesn't make sense given the thinness of MLS rosters.

Understand and somewhat agree with a bunch of what you're saying but I honestly don't think Carver is intentionally 'punishing' players for going on Int'l duty. My $0.02 anyway

shite fine, but flail? Really? Hardly "old english"...

Exactly, it's actually a quite common term.:noidea:

mclaren
08-29-2008, 10:51 AM
No disrespect to John Carver but he has not achieved anything yet in MLS.

Shaughno
08-29-2008, 10:56 AM
It's hard to achieve something before your first season is over. :rolleyes: :lol:

Technorgasm
08-29-2008, 10:57 AM

people that are not behind him. . should shampoo my neighbor's Dogs ass

...trust me, its the stinkiest dog you have ever had the misfortune to be near.

mclaren
08-29-2008, 11:03 AM
It's hard to achieve something before your first season is over. :rolleyes: :lol:

agreed. i like the guy but let's not get too excited until he has actually achieved something. when he does, i'll be the first person to shout his name from the rooftops.

jloome
08-29-2008, 01:14 PM
I also think that he sits guys who go on international duty in order to show the room who is boss, which is a management tactic that doesn't make sense given the thinness of MLS rosters.

I believe quite the opposite is true; knowing full well that with a tiny roster he's going to need them, he's sending the message to the bench players that if they play hard, they have a chance of beating out the established starters for their positions.

It might not actually be true, but it's a lot more motivating than being accorded the sense that you'll never be anything but bench weight.

The St. John crack is a little over, too. You might be right, because he may have developed the rep of being too much the player's coach, which owners hate. But we don't really know why he picked here and there's nothing to suggest factually that it was because of limited options, so while this may be realism, the lack of support also makes it more cynical than I'm willing to be.

Good point on the 4-5-1, though. We never have had the depth to adjust it to an attackign 4-3-3- really. But I made the same mistake as him at the beginningof the year, thinking it was the most flexible solution to depth issues that seemed to start up top.

The real linchpin of our tactical failure has been absences, specifically Dichio (our only natural finisher, despite being a target man, for most of the season) and Guevara. Both have fierce tenacity to attack -- Huckerby's best attribute, along with a really good shoulder fake and jets -- that drives teams offensively. No one else on our team does, period. And as much as I love his play, I include Rohan Ricketts in that, because he has the same skill level of Huckerby. But he overcomplicates things repeatedly, whereas Hucks has shown that MLS defenders are pretty easy to beat: run at them at speed -- which is very un-American soccer -- throw a head or shoulder fake, wait a split second for them to shift left or right, watch their hips for that move, then blow by them. It's the soccer equivalent of the crossover dribble, and he's really perfected it.

I wouldn't be surprised if Huckerby scores 15 and sets up another 15 next year.

Daveisonfire
08-29-2008, 01:20 PM
Good article...Edu wasn't an MLS All-Star though

ensco
08-29-2008, 02:31 PM
jloome and shaugno especially, and others too, we don't agree on everything but we've enjoyed an intelligent discussion here....wish every thread could be like this one.

I can't know what Carver's options were, so I'm making an assumption about what his options looked like. In general I think I'm right - whether it's Carver or Dichio, if they'd had decent CCC options open to them, they'd have grabbed them before coming over here. I could be wrong. For instance, I think Robinson had CCC options, but came here anyway.

The absences have been a killer. It's part of being an expansion team I guess - the Marshalls and Ruizes of the world are available in part because the international absences are such a costly element of bringing them in. But it does make me question the investment (in playing time, draft picks and roster spots) in role players like Velez and Smith - our international problem was well known going into this year. Mo and Carver jointly share the blame for that.