PDA

View Full Version : "I don't think Toronto will make the playoffs" - Ives

Damien
08-27-2008, 10:31 AM
http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_ives/2008/08/half-of-your--1.html

WTF- Do you think with the addition of Smith and Ruiz, does TFC have what it takes to go deep in the MLS playoffs?

IVES- Losing Maurice Edu is VERY tough but the pieces are in place for a late run. The only problem is TFC is going to need either DC or the Red Bulls to stumble and right now the Red Bulls are playing great and D.C. looks to be straightening things out. Above all, Toronto needs to start winning games. Ties won't cut it. Right now I'd say I don't think Toronto will make the playoffs but I like their chances better than Kansas City's at this point.

:(

Roogsy
08-27-2008, 10:35 AM
Can't say I disagree. One of the two teams needs to stumble. We have been giving points away for free and it will cost us in the form of a playoff spot.

Chewy Unikronik
08-27-2008, 10:35 AM
The truth hurts

a.ungaro
08-27-2008, 10:36 AM
that sounds familiar

Clue: the team is blue and white and plays on ice

rocker
08-27-2008, 10:38 AM
that's interesting, cuz Ives using kisses TFC's ass ;)

Super
08-27-2008, 10:40 AM
It's not unusual for a Toronto team to put in a late run and not make it anyway. But we need to stay positive here and believe in our team, or they might stop believing in it themselves. If they did it would most certainly spell the end of the year for TFC.

MrHawk
08-27-2008, 10:43 AM
Regardless, if they don't make the playoffs, will everyone be shocked?

ESP for a 2nd year team. Toronto had 3 games where they should've gotten points and possibly 4

0-0 draw with KC
0-0 draw with Columbus
0-0 draw with San Jose
1-1 draw with NYRB (the really rainy night)

That's a potential 8 points we gave up.

TFC OZZ
08-27-2008, 10:43 AM
ives can suck me off for saying that.

but in all honesty, i completely agree with him. I see DC as the more likely east team to start slipping, i just htink that new york is playing way too well right now.

stugautz
08-27-2008, 10:48 AM
Above all, Toronto needs to start winning games. Ties won't cut it.

Lets just focus on that part. Can't worry about the rest.

Cashcleaner
08-27-2008, 10:49 AM
I'd hate to say it, but I think Ives is right on this.

I'm not upset over simply missing out on the playoffs, I'm upset with the fact that our club brings in more cash than any other team in the league with the exception of LA, yet we're falling behind clubs like the Crew or Real Salt Lake.

I'm not throwing in the towel just yet on the season, but it's not looking so great for our chances.

VPjr
08-27-2008, 10:49 AM
Ives is right....the team screwed itself by shitting the bed the past 10 weeks. Imagine if we had:

- held on for a draw in Chicago
- held on for a draw in RSL
- won at home against San Jose

Those 5 points loom very large right now. Instead, from those three games, they managed 1 point.

Shaughno
08-27-2008, 10:51 AM
Is this really anything new? I mean, it should be common sense if you have been following the team...

Damien
08-27-2008, 11:03 AM
Is this really anything new? I mean, it should be common sense if you have been following the team...

All of your posts are the same.

OneLoveOneEric
08-27-2008, 11:05 AM
How does this qualify as news.
"Rosie Perez is Puerto Rican" -- Ives.

Damien
08-27-2008, 11:06 AM
How does this qualify as news.
"Rosie Perez is Puerto Rican" -- Ives.

^ thats a fact... it's not a fact that TFC will necessarily miss the playoffs.

bangersandmash
08-27-2008, 11:09 AM
Two things:

I've said this somewhere else, but Toronto's best hope comes via *not* making the Champions' league. If DC, NE, Chivas and Houston are busy tiring themselves out playing 17 games in 10 weeks (or something like that), plus international duties, there is a chance they will drop silly points here and there

The best-case scenario is that teams like DC and NY drop any games to teams in the top 3 of the west since none of our direct competition for play-off sports will benefit! Is everyone ready to sheer for RSL and FCD?.

(Dallas v DC: Sept 13; DC v Dallas: Sept 28; RSL v NE Oct 4; NYRB v RSL: Oct 9; DC v Hou: Oct 9)

LucaGol
08-27-2008, 11:19 AM
Truthfully, I started looking towards next season about 5 games ago.

Don't get me wrong, I hope TFC goes on a wonder run....but we have to be realistic.

Ossington Mental Youth
08-27-2008, 11:28 AM
Dont think many of us do think we will make the playoffs

LucaGol
08-27-2008, 11:32 AM
It's kind of a sad state of affairs especially after that flyer of a start we got off to.

Attractive soccer...goals...good team spirit....then things all went awry....July absolutely killed us. Too many games...too many international absences....not enough team cohesion, John Carver's naivety about the league in general, being a first year MLS coach = momentum down the tubes.

Oh well, that's how it goes sometimes.

Oldtimer
08-27-2008, 11:58 AM
It wouldn't be unusual if TFC didn't qualify:

RSL record:

2005 did not qualify
2006 did not qualify
2007 did not qualify
2008 ?

Chivas qualified in their second year, but they play in the West division.

Ossington Mental Youth
08-27-2008, 11:59 AM
It's kind of a sad state of affairs especially after that flyer of a start we got off to.

Attractive soccer...goals...good team spirit....then things all went awry....July absolutely killed us. Too many games...too many international absences....not enough team cohesion, John Carver's naivety about the league in general, being a first year MLS coach = momentum down the tubes.

I agree with this with exception to the Carver/Naivety bit (i might agree but i need a further explanation if you dont mind)

cementhead
08-27-2008, 12:05 PM
I think losing Player to International duty not having strikers that could put the ball in the net hurt us the most.Plus plane bad breaks !It seem to go down hill when Dichio got hurt.

boban
08-27-2008, 12:10 PM

ESP for a 2nd year team. Toronto had 3 games where they should've gotten points and possibly 4

0-0 draw with KC
0-0 draw with Columbus
0-0 draw with San Jose

They gave up points this past Saturday as well.

boban
08-27-2008, 12:11 PM
I think losing Player to International duty not having strikers that could put the ball in the net hurt us the most.Plus plane bad breaks !It seem to go down hill when Dichio got hurt.
Other teams lose them too.
Whining ass kid syndrome if you ask me.

Beach_Red
08-27-2008, 12:11 PM
....then things all went awry....July absolutely killed us. Too many games...too many international absences....not enough team cohesion, John Carver's naivety about the league in general, being a first year MLS coach = momentum down the tubes.

What's that saying about, it's not how many times you get knocked down that counts, it's how many times you get back up?

Sport is full of cliches and one of the biggest is "character." Can a team build character without adversity?

I still say, if this team had joined this league and been instantly successful most people would quickly lose interest.

boban
08-27-2008, 12:39 PM
July absolutely killed us. Too many games...too many international absences....
Nothing that other teams didn't have.

brad
08-27-2008, 01:39 PM
The real reason has nothing to do with international absences, its because we are not a very good team yet. We are making progress, but there is a way to go.

We hardly score from open play, and we suck on the road. Those are the two real reasons we are not going to make the playoffs.

a.ungaro
08-27-2008, 01:49 PM

0-0 draw with KC
0-0 draw with Columbus
0-0 draw with San Jose

not to mention the 1-0 loss opening day in Columbus should have got a point on the PK

SLBuu
08-27-2008, 01:52 PM
not to mention the 1-0 loss opening day in Columbus should have got a point on the PK

we actually lost that game 2-0

Damien
08-27-2008, 01:59 PM
we actually lost that game 2-0

we were a much different team then... not that it matters now.

invictusTFC
08-27-2008, 02:59 PM
At this point, I'll be happy to see some improvement and some consistency in the remaining games. I'll remain hopeful but realistic.

Shakes McQueen
08-27-2008, 03:05 PM
At this point, I'll be happy to see some improvement and some consistency in the remaining games. I'll remain hopeful but realistic.

I'd love to see the current club gel, light the league on fire, even if they don't make the playoffs. Then put the same squad out on the pitch for next season, with some major alterations in the depth department.

- Scott

Broadview
08-27-2008, 03:33 PM
We still have a pretty good shot at the playoffs if you ask me. MLS teams are super streaky, they play great for three or four games and then suck balls for a few. Unfortunately, TFC have just been sucking balls a little longer and harder then a couple other teams lately. Things'll turn around.

Kickit09
08-27-2008, 04:11 PM
whats everyone making a big deal about? he said he "thinks" they aren't going to make the playoffs, its just his opinion. Its not like he said they have no chance in hell of making the playoffs.... and unfortunately i don’t think he’s wrong either.

RPB_Brantford_08
08-27-2008, 04:40 PM
all those other games are in the past, we have Chivas coming up saturday we need
a win or not lose. A win is possible as Chivas is not as good as LA and we won against LA in the same stadium.....2-0 TFC

ag futbol
08-27-2008, 10:28 PM
http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_ives/2008/08/half-of-your--1.html

WTF- Do you think with the addition of Smith and Ruiz, does TFC have what it takes to go deep in the MLS playoffs?
Not in the slightest, unless Ruiz somehow regains his form of several years ago and Smith somehow becomes way better than advertised, way sooner than expected.

We've added nothing significant compared to plenty of other teams and we've won one game in our last 14.

I think he's just stating the obvious.

tfc2007
08-27-2008, 10:48 PM

how pissed would all of us be if you found out this was the attitude of the players in the change rooms.
if in an interview jimmy said yea i hope we make it.. but realisticly we probably wont, everyone would be mad.
how about we stand behind are team and dont give up until the last whistle in that last game.

ilikemusic
08-27-2008, 10:51 PM
"Sky is blue" - Ives

TFC-Tyler
08-27-2008, 11:31 PM
all those other games are in the past, we have Chivas coming up saturday we need
a win or not lose. A win is possible as Chivas is not as good as LA and we won against LA in the same stadium.....2-0 TFC
For future reference, I believe a 'not lose' is called a tie or a draw.

Shakes McQueen
08-28-2008, 01:33 AM

Can a mod temporarily suspend this guy's account or something? I swear to God every post he makes here, usually begins or ends with him being a dick to someone.

- Scott

Fort York Redcoat
08-28-2008, 07:40 AM

:troll:

Beyond that, I'm looking forward without dwelling on playoffs. Playoffs are just a benchmark to qualify for anyway. I want to concentrate on how we finish in the table. I don't want to start looking at MLS like every other NA sport-If we just make the playoffs and get on a good run we don't have to be good all season. There's a reason most of us watch other leagues than our own.

CoachGT
08-28-2008, 07:48 AM
Right now, even if we qualify for the playoffs, we'd be hard pressed to be anything but an underdog. I'd rather have a longer term competitive team. But that doesn't change my desire to see the team win and do well in the short term. Some of the losses and draws this year have left me feeling that my heart has been torn out - games that should have had better results. But I'll always be there supporting the boys!

TFC-Tyler
08-28-2008, 12:39 PM
:troll:
Sorry, I shouldnt have helpfully corrected him?

jloome
08-28-2008, 03:44 PM
Sorry, I shouldnt have helpfully corrected him?

If he was hard to understand, which he wasn't. Sometimes, being a pretentious wanker is being a pretentious wanker.

Shakes McQueen
08-28-2008, 03:46 PM
If he was hard to understand, which he wasn't. Sometimes, being a pretentious wanker is being a pretentious wanker.

Welcome to his ignore list, haha.

- Scott