PDA

View Full Version : MLS teams getting SPANKED in Champion's League

jloome
08-26-2008, 08:39 PM
Time to start wondering whether MLS rosters have become so diluted by the skewed salary system that it's not the worst league in the region. New England is being beaten up on by Joe Public of Trinidad and Tobago 2-0 and same for Chivas against Panama's Tauro.

In the latter, Chivas was so slow getting back, that their players hadn't even turned around yet to see where the opposition was and three of the Panamanian forwards had already cut through the backline and basically walked the ball into the goal.

Ugly.

LucaGol
08-26-2008, 08:41 PM
New England and Chivas have both had a lot of games lately....consider US Open Cup, SuperLiga, and now this....

...but yes, if we're going to have these competitions...the teams need to be given extra resources to get bigger squads.

LucaGol
08-26-2008, 08:44 PM
Revs have their precious away goal. They should still be able to go through.

Ossington Mental Youth
08-26-2008, 08:58 PM
honestly it may be a good thing as itll force the owners and MLS to raise the cap and the rosters

jloome
08-26-2008, 08:58 PM
Chivas really stunk, 0-2; Revs weren't so hot either. Can't see either going far.

Ladies Love Julius James
08-26-2008, 09:12 PM
Good for Joe Public :)

James17930
08-26-2008, 09:14 PM
I think next year we will see different MLS teams in Superliga and the CL. The same clubs shouldn't be in both.

I'd like to see something like the four or six teams with the best records who are not already playing in the CL qualify for Superliga. Make it a UEFA cup type thing.

TFC USA
08-26-2008, 09:14 PM
Yeah, chances are TFC would've been playing tomorrow humiliating themselves as well.

Ossington Mental Youth
08-26-2008, 09:30 PM
Cmon Real Estreli!!

DVS
08-26-2008, 09:39 PM
Conspiracy Theory: MLS teams in CL are tanking it to get owners talking to raise the cap

I'm just saying

twistedchinaman
08-26-2008, 09:44 PM
Anyone heard anything about the Cruz Azul-Hankook Verdes match?

twistedchinaman
08-26-2008, 09:45 PM
Conspiracy Theory: MLS teams in CL are tanking it to get owners talking to raise the cap

I'm just saying

There isn't any better stage to tank in order to make a point!

stugautz
08-26-2008, 09:53 PM
How sad would it be if a USL team (who's name I refuse to mention) advanced further than any MLS team?

profit89
08-26-2008, 10:29 PM
Anyone heard anything about the Cruz Azul-Hankook Verdes match?

Azul leading 3-0 last i heard at HT

profit89
08-26-2008, 10:32 PM
The quality of MLS teams is simply not that good. MLS cap rules need to change. There is simply no depth of quality. Each team should have 4 or 5 Guevaras. Not just 1, surrounded by a bunch of hacks.

mclaren
08-26-2008, 10:39 PM

Kenwyne Jones at Sunderland used to play for Joe Public ;)

profit89
08-26-2008, 10:45 PM
Time to start wondering whether MLS rosters have become so diluted by the skewed salary system that it's not the worst league in the region. New England is being beaten up on by Joe Public of Trinidad and Tobago 2-0 and same for Chivas against Panama's Tauro.

In the latter, Chivas was so slow getting back, that their players hadn't even turned around yet to see where the opposition was and three of the Panamanian forwards had already cut through the backline and basically walked the ball into the goal.

Ugly.

It is one of the worst leagues in the region. These outcomes are a great thing and so is CCL. This CCL competition will be the catalyst for change. Soccer is the global game, you have to compete globally, not in isolation as per the other leagues in North America. That doesn't work in soccer, the weaknesses in your league will be exposed.

rocker
08-26-2008, 11:07 PM
it's not surprising that two MLS teams would lose on the road.. that's pretty typical of MLS in north america.

let's wait and see how NE and Chivas do at home. I'd also like to see the lineups. I read somewhere NE was gonna use a lot of subs.. did they?

Heathen
08-26-2008, 11:11 PM
too many competitions, ditch the Superliga

RPB_Brantford_08
08-26-2008, 11:27 PM
New England and Chivas have both had a lot of games lately....consider US Open Cup, SuperLiga, and now this....

...but yes, if we're going to have these competitions...the teams need to be given extra resources to get bigger squads.

its the same for the clubs in England, premiership games, league cup,
FA cup, CL/Uefa cup so why fell sorry for the Revs and Chivas...
its up to thme to get the job done, not make the league look foolish.

VPjr
08-26-2008, 11:58 PM
How sad would it be if a USL team (who's name I refuse to mention) advanced further than any MLS team?

why would it be sad? Anyone who thinks there is a huge gap in quality between MLS and USL clearly overestimates the quality of MLS.

Personally, I think it would be great for a team with several Canadians starting for them to have a good run in that tournament.

TFC lost out on getting into this tournament because TFC sucked in each and every game in that tournament. they did not have 1 single good performance (the away game in Vancouver was the closest thing to a decent performance by the team).

I won't be cheering for Impact but i sure as hell won't be cheering against them either.

Ladies Love Julius James
08-27-2008, 12:00 AM
Agreed neutral is the way to go....and they earned their spot

jloome
08-27-2008, 12:03 AM
Fuck that! They knocked us out, you pussies! This is football, not olympic fucking gymnastics. It's Montreal, we're TFC, we hate Montreal. We'd rather Nicaraguans win than them.

This is club footie, take the nationalistic support elsewhere.

Ladies Love Julius James
08-27-2008, 12:07 AM
Fuck that! They knocked us out, you pussies! This is football, not olympic fucking gymnastics. It's Montreal, we're TFC, we hate Montreal. We'd rather Nicaraguans win than them.

It aint nationalistic support but fuck they kicked our asses they deserved it. Don't care to see them advance but I don't want to see them fail. Having a Canadian team in the CL = more publicity, heck maybe a young kid or two may see the oppurtunity at an early age and be more involved in soccer, not to mention funding.

Bobo
08-27-2008, 12:08 AM

Hahaha. I don't exactly agree but this is classic.

jloome
08-27-2008, 12:27 AM
Hahaha. I don't exactly agree but this is classic.

Let's say Hypothetically I had a little voice hoping the Canadian team goes far, as Canadians are wont to do in any situation. I sure wouldn't tell anyone else about it; some Limpact fan might read it.

nfitz
08-27-2008, 12:37 AM
It aint nationalistic support but fuck they kicked our asses they deserved it. But they didn't kick our asses. We beat them in Montreal, and drew at home. The problem was Montreal decimated Vancouver - as usual, despite being the poorer team.

Perhaps we should have a poll - who is cheering for/against Montreal.

TFCREDNWHITE
08-27-2008, 12:38 AM
It aint nationalistic support but fuck they kicked our asses they deserved it. Don't care to see them advance but I don't want to see them fail. Having a Canadian team in the CL = more publicity, heck maybe a young kid or two may see the oppurtunity at an early age and be more involved in soccer, not to mention funding.

TRUST me when i say this.....

The rest of the fucking country HATES US(Toronto)!! You think the montrealers would suck us off if we went far in the CCL?!?! Fuck that they would be the first to stab us in the chest with a dirty butter knife!! Toronto-Montreal is going to be the BIGGEST rivalry in north american sports history once those fuckers get an MLS team. Theirs going to be bloodshed, just wait and see.....

Shakes McQueen
08-27-2008, 12:49 AM
This isn't Spain, where we have nothing to prove regarding the quality of our players. I won't be cheering for the Impact, but I'd feel some nationalistic pride if they made it further than they are expected to in the CCL.

As others mention frequently, Canada is a football backwater. What a great way to draw some attention to our players.

That said, any time they are playing TFC, they are my enemies.

- Scott

Cashcleaner
08-27-2008, 01:04 AM
honestly it may be a good thing as itll force the owners and MLS to raise the cap and the rosters

Agreed Oss. Now that the Champions League is pitting our teams up against others outside MLS/USL in a very lucrative competition, I think Garber and the owners are gonna get realise how ridiculous the current financial system is with the league. Seeing all MLS teams get tossed out on their ears by clubs like Joe Public should raise more than a few eyebrows.

I think Profit89 might be on to something saying that this could be a catalyst for change.

Oh, and to clarify - Montreal didn't beat us outta Champions League play. Vancouver did. :(

James17930
08-27-2008, 01:18 AM

Not really -- we beat and drew them.

It was Vancouver that kicked out asses. Fucking Vancouver. :(

Cashcleaner
08-27-2008, 01:29 AM
^ Copycat.

Tyler Durden
08-27-2008, 08:01 AM
Marco Etcheverry is the type of creative player MLS lacks today/MLSNET.com
The CONCACAF Champions league was built up as Major League Soccer’s opportunity to show how well it sides perform while in season. The complaint about the now retired Champions Cup was that it was played during the MLS preseason. However, despite a flattering scoreline the first match of the Champions League showed how outclassed outside the United States MLS sides often times are, even though New England is arguably the best MLS team around. While Chivas USA certainly played a better match down in Panama than New England did in Port of Spain the result was the same: MLS lost. Now based on these results, it is very likely both MLS teams will advance to the group stage due to having home legs upcoming. Yet the point cannot be lost: unlike Mexican or Costa Rican sides, MLS teams cannot get results or even dictate play away from home.

More.... http://www.majorleaguesoccertalk.com/

Billy the kid
08-27-2008, 08:06 AM
Get rid of Superliga, just have champions league.

trane
08-27-2008, 08:12 AM

Ugly.

Well you know that my complaint overall that there simply is not enough attention to defensive duties in this league. But I did not see the games so I am not sure wether it was just because this was for a lack of pace, or a lack of fundametaly sound play, which should teach you to get back to your position ASAP.

Oldtimer
08-27-2008, 08:34 AM
But they didn't kick our asses. We beat them in Montreal, and drew at home. The problem was Montreal decimated Vancouver - as usual, despite being the poorer team.

Perhaps we should have a poll - who is cheering for/against Montreal.

Poll is in the "Canadian Soccer" section of the forum.

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=5244

profit89
08-27-2008, 09:06 AM

Have it so that top teams that are not otherwise in ccl qualify for superliga. Like a uefa cup. But have it home and away. MLS teams have to learn to play in hostile environments like mexico.

Roogsy
08-27-2008, 09:07 AM

Beautiful. Finally someone said it. What's with the Montreal love-in? I don't root for Ottawa when they were in the Stanley Cup finals, I don't root for Montreal when they are in the CCL. Toronto Till I Die...they aren't the CMNT for gawd's sakes!

BakaGaijin
08-27-2008, 09:17 AM

You do know that Joe Public is owned by Jack Warner, don't you?

I can't think of a better reason for hating a team.........they are owned by a corrupt dickhead.

Chewy Unikronik
08-27-2008, 09:47 AM
Revs have their precious away goal. They should still be able to go through.

Doesn't matter... It's total goals only.

BBBulldog
08-27-2008, 10:13 AM
Revs just don't take internationals seriously. DC smacked Joe Public 8:0 several years ago.

OneLoveOneEric
08-27-2008, 10:22 AM
You mean that MLS quality isn't high?
Wow -- first time I noticed.....

profit89
08-27-2008, 10:26 AM
Doesn't matter... It's total goals only.

Wrong. The away goal rule applies.

"Unlike the previously contested CONCACAF Champions' Cup, the away goals (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Away_goals) rule will be used during the CONCACAF Champions League competition."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CONCACAF_Champions_League_2008-09 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CONCACAF_Champions_League_2008-09#cite_note-rules-4)

Cashcleaner
08-27-2008, 10:27 AM

I believe Superliga is getting scrapped now that Champions League is here. I don't even think we'll see it next season.

jloome
08-27-2008, 12:53 PM
No, Superliga's still on. It's the ConCACAF CUP that was morphed into the champions league by adding more teams.

Oldtimer
08-27-2008, 01:13 PM
I believe Superliga is getting scrapped now that Champions League is here. I don't even think we'll see it next season.

Actually it's up for review soon. They may scrap it, but given the $$$, they may decide to keep it.