PDA

View Full Version : This is why I like Amado Guevara.

v00d00daddy
08-25-2008, 05:11 PM
I think Guevara deserves a little love after the game he played on Saturday.

I think he's the most talented guy on the field and when he motivates himself, like he did on Saturday, he's a pleasure to watch. It's nice to see a guy out there who isn't looking to make the obvious choice.

I'm glad we have one guy who wants to play a possession game. He creates space for his teammates and he's creative on the ball. We need more like him.

More importantly we need the current guys to catch on a little and see if they can get on the same page with him.

Maybe Ruiz is one of those guys. We'll see. At any rate, I hope Guevara plays like that every game. Fingers crossed.

ilikemusic
08-25-2008, 05:16 PM
I dont know what the deal was the attitude problems we heard about.

As far as im concerned, he is absolute class on the pitch. He hustles, hes always on hand to give his teammates (and opponents) a lift up off the ground, anytime an opposing player goes down and lies there Amado is first on the scene trying to encourage him to get up and get on with things, and without being a dick about it, causing the guy to lay down longer.

Our season would already be over if it werent for Amado.

Ossington Mental Youth
08-25-2008, 05:18 PM
My favorite shit is still when we played LA in LA and Secksy Becksy was going to take a freekick and Guevara, whilst grinning, charged at Beckham. The kick was regiven but Becksy was noticibly distracted. Yes man, im defo a fan

Redpunkfiddle
08-25-2008, 05:19 PM

As far as im concerned, he is absolute class on the pitch. He hustles, hes always on hand to give his teammates (and opponents) a lift up off the ground, anytime an opposing player goes down and lies there Amado is first on the scene trying to encourage him to get up and get on with things, and without being a dick about it, causing the guy to lay down longer.

Our season would already be over if it werent for Amado.

Well there was that thing where he elbowed a guy, got red carded and missed two additional games.

Sure he was getting the business from the other player, but he fell into it, lost his cool and cost his team two more games without him.

ilikemusic
08-25-2008, 05:21 PM
Well there was that thing where he elbowed a guy, got red carded and missed two additional games.

Sure he was getting the business from the other player, but he fell into it, lost his cool and cost his team two more games without him.

That whole game was horse-shit. I'll give anybody one game a year to lose their cool. The best players are never angels. Keane-O for one. :cool:

Ossington Mental Youth
08-25-2008, 05:21 PM
Outside of that dude keeps his cool. Dichio prob had more cards last year (if not the same) as Guevara.

S_D
08-25-2008, 05:22 PM

When he got subbed off playing with Chivas, instead of taking it for the team, he went and sat with the Chivas fans and watched the game from there lol.

I'd call that an attitude problem, but I think it is a good one to have. He wants to play every minute of every game.

And I agree, if it wasn't for Amado, TFC would be up the creek.

MG42
08-25-2008, 05:23 PM
I pretty sure it was Amado who ran to grab the ball from the net after Barrett scored on Saturday...he's friendly! :)

v00d00daddy
08-25-2008, 05:24 PM

It was a bonehead move but it happens. He hasn't been the headcase that a lot of people were predicting.

As far as TFC goes:

-He has the best first touch
-He has the best vision
-He is the best dead ball player

I'll take a few meltdowns as long as he continues to play our most exciting brand of soccer.

RealG-TFC
08-25-2008, 05:24 PM

That's about it imo. That happens to every player in the world (losing temper). When he did it, all of a sudden he's a "dirty" player. Hell I remember one forumer here calling him something he was definitely not (something with an ass). I couldn't even begin to think of El Lobo in that way.

ManUtd4ever
08-25-2008, 05:32 PM
I think Guevara deserves a little love after the game he played on Saturday.

I think he's the most talented guy on the field and when he motivates himself, like he did on Saturday, he's a pleasure to watch. It's nice to see a guy out there who isn't looking to make the obvious choice.

I'm glad we have one guy who wants to play a possession game. He creates space for his teammates and he's creative on the ball. We need more like him.

More importantly we need the current guys to catch on a little and see if they can get on the same page with him.

Maybe Ruiz is one of those guys. We'll see. At any rate, I hope Guevara plays like that every game. Fingers crossed.

Absolutely. Guevara has the best first touch and overall ball control on the team...

BigLou
08-25-2008, 05:35 PM
Ok guys I hate to start raining on everyone's parade but here goes. Let me say first that I like some of the things Amado Guevara brings to the field. He is an incredibly talented player with great technical ability and a great field sense. This said Guevara's attitude whether you like it or not has affected this team negatively. He has been sent off for punching someone in the box off the ball resulting in the winning goal on Penalty and a 2 match ban. Think about that sentence for a moment as it is a pretty monumental screwup considering the point in the game and in the season. He could have been booked for dissent in two recent matches that I remember and although playing in a positive way last match vs. NER still bitched and complained his way through the entire game. We, IMO, shouldn't praise players like Guevara for showing up once 12 or so games into being on a new team when we have guys like Dichio and JimmyB for example. Dichio and JB are good examples because, to them, it is inexcusable to not give 100% all the time. I have seen Guevara,looking disinterested, walking back to defend too many times to get excited when he comes to a game 80%. If you think TFC gets more than 80% from AG#20 then watch Honduras' next WCQ match and talk to me then. Rant over.

BigLou
08-25-2008, 05:37 PM
Oh and by the way, it is players like Robbo and Sutton that have salvaged this season NOT Amado Guevara. Our big difference this year has been in Goals Conceded and not so much goals scored.

Ossington Mental Youth
08-25-2008, 05:40 PM
Thats evident as we havent had a striker that could score, however the chances to score have increased significantly and he can take credit for that

loconet
With or without the punch, one of my favorite players in the team.

ManUtd4ever
Ok guys I hate to start raining on everyone's parade but here goes. Let me say first that I like some of the things Amado Guevara brings to the field. He is an incredibly talented player with great technical ability and a great field sense. This said Guevara's attitude whether you like it or not has affected this team negatively. He has been sent off for punching someone in the box off the ball resulting in the winning goal on Penalty and a 2 match ban. Think about that sentence for a moment as it is a pretty monumental screwup considering the point in the game and in the season. He could have been booked for dissent in two recent matches that I remember and although playing in a positive way last match vs. NER still bitched and complained his way through the entire game. We, IMO, shouldn't praise players like Guevara for showing up once 12 or so games into being on a new team when we have guys like Dichio and JimmyB for example. Dichio and JB are good examples because, to them, it is inexcusable to not give 100% all the time. I have seen Guevara,looking disinterested, walking back to defend too many times to get excited when he comes to a game 80%. If you think TFC gets more than 80% from AG#20 then watch Honduras' next WCQ match and talk to me then. Rant over.

I agree that he has not always given 100% for TFC, but the fact of the matter is that even at 80%, he is the most skilled player on our squad. As many have indicated, I'm hoping that working with Ruiz will motivate him that much more...

BigLou
08-25-2008, 05:45 PM
I'm way more afraid of him and Ruiz fighting over right footed, direct free kicks. I want to stress I am not shitting all over Guevara. I do like some of his offensive gifts. I just can't get high on a player who behaves the way he does.

ensco
08-25-2008, 05:58 PM
I like Amado, but imo he didn't have his "A" game Saturday. Lots of unforced errors. Passed when he should have shot, shot when he should have passed. Had no gas at all after about the 60 minute mark.

I'm not complaining. He gave us all he had 72 hours after going 90 against Mexico at the Azteca. He's 31, after all.

But I didn't think his contribution last Saturday was even average for him.

v00d00daddy
08-25-2008, 06:29 PM
Oh and by the way, it is players like Robbo and Sutton that have salvaged this season NOT Amado Guevara. Our big difference this year has been in Goals Conceded and not so much goals scored.

Oh and by the way....Robbo and Sutton have played this entire season so they're part of the reason it needs to be salvaged.

Oh and by the way...we've managed 6 points in the last 9 league matches. That's 6 points out of a possible 27 since June 21st. I guess I didn't get the memo from TFC FO that our season was salvaged.

Your rose coloured glasses have been completely tinted over the colour red my friend.

BigLou
08-25-2008, 07:09 PM
Wow...... Ok turn it into another fight thread. I said that our highlight this year has been defence.... Where does Guevara play? What about Sutton, Robbo? How many times have Sutton and Robbo given up a penalty off the ball while being ejected when the score is 0-0? How many times has Guevara needed to slide into another role mid-game and been a highlight for the team? How many times has Guevara said something positive to a teammate on the field, applauded someone elses effort or shown any leadership skills at all? How many more goals have we scored this year? And you obviously dont know your TFC....Sutton did NOT play all season, JC left him out of the team on several occaisions.Also, How can you say that our #1 goalie who at one point was leading the league among goal keepers statistically and our rock of a vice captain are the reason we are in trouble. You think I don't agree our last few months has been an embarassment? Try sitting next to me at BMO or away. These results are upsetting but hot head Guevara who DIDN'T EVEN REPORT TO TFC THE FIRST TIME is all amazing now. Offence might win games, defence wins championships. Maybe its time to learn the nuances of the game my friend before you start hacking at what I say.

BigLou
08-25-2008, 07:16 PM
I agree that he has not always given 100% for TFC, but the fact of the matter is that even at 80%, he is the most skilled player on our squad. As many have indicated, I'm hoping that working with Ruiz will motivate him that much more...
Cant deny the plain truth there. Amado has bags of ability and is just short on motivation.

TorCanSoc
08-25-2008, 07:36 PM
Yeah. I'd like to see him at 100% Guevara for 90 minutes. A lot of the MLS players have oodles of talent, but don't show it game in and game out for the full 90 minutes. Football wise I still think Guevara is our best.

I don't see the dissent or negativity rumoured to plague Guevara.

As far as Robbo being rock solid? I'm not sure man. He has a defensive m/f role that he does well. But his two yard passes to covered teammates is tough to watch. He's had a few howler back passes for goals against or chances against for sure.

Hate to be too Canadian about this, but, the teams is still miles ahead of last year. We're improving, all is good in TFC-land for me.

Damien
08-25-2008, 07:37 PM
Sutton had a great start, but he's kinda lost his touch. Awful handling of long shots and god awful on goal kicks.

Guevara's the man. Don't care what anyone says.

Draracle
08-25-2008, 07:43 PM
Amado's biggest problem is thinking others are a smart as him. He will sometimes set up a brilliant pass into nothing because another player didn't see the run or pulled up thinking they had outlived their usefulness to the play. Language might be a part of this, maybe with Ruiz we will really see some magic.

MrHawk
08-25-2008, 07:46 PM
if anyone has any pictures of him of the game, does he normally wear really bright white socks with black shoes?

He looked like a tap dancer

Captain Croatia
08-25-2008, 07:47 PM
Amado's biggest problem is thinking others are a smart as him. He will sometimes set up a brilliant pass into nothing because another player didn't see the run or pulled up thinking they had outlived their usefulness to the play. Language might be a part of this, maybe with Ruiz we will really see some magic.

QFT.

Amado actually understands where to put the ball, while a lot of the times the intended target is out of it. :noidea:

ensco
08-25-2008, 08:19 PM
QFT.

Amado actually understands where to put the ball, while a lot of the times the intended target is out of it. :noidea:

True.

It was also true of Robert.

peskypetey
08-25-2008, 09:13 PM
I think he's the most talented guy on the field and when he motivates himself

Exactly why I'm reserving judgement. He's been inconsistent this season, some world class plays and some not so class stuff.

As Carver said, he flicks in and out of games. I'd really like to see what he can do when his head is 100% in the game.

He played well on Saturday, but, he wasn't our best player.

druid
08-25-2008, 10:27 PM
True.

It was also true of Robert.

Now if we want to talk about someone with an attitude problem...