PDA

View Full Version : MLS's major improvements in the next 10 years

RPB_Brantford_08
08-25-2008, 12:54 PM
:canada: what does MLS need to work on to bring the league forward even more in the next decade?

flatpicker
08-25-2008, 01:00 PM
do our suggestions count as news??? Alert the presses!!!

:)

anyways... off the top of my head...

- I think a new commissioner may be needed to give the league that extra nudge into a larger market
- they are gonna have to get that salary cap raised so the league can be more competitive in the foriegn market.
- continue to build strong relationships with the supporters
- increased sponsorship.
- adjust schedule to conflict less with Fifa calender (that would allow better players to get more club games in and thus keep the level of play up for fans)
- increased television coverage

Nodoubtguy
08-25-2008, 01:01 PM
- they are gonna have to get that salary cap raised so the league can be more competitive in the foriegn market.
- adjust schedule to conflict less with Fifa calender (that would allow better players to get more club games in and thus keep the level of play up for fans)

These 3 are the most important in my opinion

Billy the kid
08-25-2008, 01:02 PM
What he said, plus a larger roster.

RPB_Brantford_08
08-25-2008, 01:03 PM
do our suggestions count as news??? Alert the presses!!!

:)

anyways... off the top of my head...

- I think a new commissioner may be needed to give the league that extra nudge into a larger market
- continue to build strong relationships with the supporters
- increased sponsorship.

Maybe someone at TFC will take notes and forward them to the league.

Billy the kid
08-25-2008, 01:04 PM
Do away with current player allocation system for returning players (McBride) etc.

Smenge
you forgot to add gambling. Why else would so many Americans watch NFL every week?

olegunnar
Larger roster 1st. Get some players in the system and let them improve to the level that they're worth raising the cap for.
I'm not in favour of raising the cap so that people can sign more 35 yr old internationals, I'm in favour of raising it so that the league is a viable money making career choice for domestic players.

brad
08-25-2008, 01:05 PM
-Double (at least) the salary cap.
-Stop marketing to soccer moms and as a family day out.
-adopt a more traditional transfer system. The league should not own player contracts, the league should not have a say where returning players go (like the McBride situation). Players should not be able to be traded against their will.
-soccer specific stadiums mandated. No more NFL lines on football pitches. Nobody will take that seriously.
-align with the FIFA calendar - teams should not be punished for fielding larger numbers of International players.
-standardize the the schedule a bit more, home match one Saturday, away match the next as much as possible.
-Single table.

CoachGT
08-25-2008, 01:10 PM
Other - probably the single biggest thing and it has been discussed ad nauseum on these boards is a truly professional, accountable refereeing development structure. Put somebody at the top - a referee in chief - and have a proper structure developed to create world class, capable and competent refereeing!

Priorities two and three should be (but will probably occur before the refs because of the upcoming collective bargaining agreement) increasing the salary cap and roster size.

Toronto_Bhoy
08-25-2008, 01:10 PM
The weakest link in the game in North America is officiating.

Toronto_Bhoy
08-25-2008, 01:11 PM
Ha! Ha! Beaten by the Coach!!!

OneLoveOneEric
08-25-2008, 01:13 PM
Increase cap by 2-5x.
Get rid of MLS involvement in player contracts.
Televise games -- try to recruit some seasoned football commentators to do so. I can't listen to Forrest and Dobson any more!!!

CoachGT
08-25-2008, 01:13 PM
^^ just by the "enter" key!

NF-FC
08-25-2008, 01:14 PM
youth Development

The Kingpin
08-25-2008, 01:16 PM
All of the above... Plus more...

brad
08-25-2008, 01:27 PM
Increase cap by 2-5x.
Get rid of MLS involvement in player contracts.
Televise games -- try to recruit some seasoned football commentators to do so. I can't listen to Forrest and Dobson any more!!!

Forest and Dobson are light years ahead of most of the US commentators (which is quite sad).

OneLoveOneEric
08-25-2008, 01:28 PM
^^^Just because there's somebody worse out there.......

RPB_Brantford_08
08-25-2008, 01:31 PM
Forest and Dobson are light years ahead of most of the US commentators (which is quite sad).

the Revs ones on WSBK are pretty good, but Nigel Reed is the best in MLS.

joel
08-25-2008, 01:36 PM
All of the above..it's not like any option is a bad idea, so I'm not sure what the poll is to accomplish. I think everyone know all these things need to happen, and I don't think anyone disagrees, it's just a matter of time and development.

Ossington Mental Youth
08-25-2008, 01:41 PM
Picked explain myself, REFFING. Dont really think much needs to be explained here.
Its only second to making rosters 22 men.
Thirdly id say move the cap up (or even rid of it but thats not likely)

parrott114
08-25-2008, 04:27 PM
improve reserve division, will help our young Canadians develop
but this probably coincides with an increase to the roster size

profit89
08-25-2008, 04:29 PM
1. single table
2. increase cap
3. accord with fifa calendar
4. sss for all

T_Mizz
08-25-2008, 04:30 PM
Get rid of the cap and we'd have a superclub situation with TFC, NYRB, LAG, and DC which would be good or bad depending on how you look at it. I think they should raise the cap, add more DP slots, add a Domestic DP slot (a player that would count as a domestic player if not for their salary), and make the cap only apply to the Starters and subs ie the top 16 salaries on the team then let them spend as much as they want on their reserves. Also increase the number of players on the roster especially if they add a league cup (which they won`t because of the US open Cup and the CCC) You need more fresh legs when the season wears on like that.

T_Mizz
08-25-2008, 04:32 PM
I don`t think according to the fifa calendar would be very good I`m surprised someone on a TORONTO (Canada) FC board said that, we have a hard enough time attracting players as it is without making them freeze their balls off in the winter season that Fifa uses.

Beach_Red
08-25-2008, 04:37 PM
you forgot to add gambling. Why else would so many Americans watch NFL every week?

This is true and it probably applies to every sport in the world - what would the audience be for EPL games with no betting?

Ossington Mental Youth
08-25-2008, 04:48 PM
I don`t think according to the fifa calendar would be very good I`m surprised someone on a TORONTO (Canada) FC board said that, we have a hard enough time attracting players as it is without making them freeze their balls off in the winter season that Fifa uses.

Doesnt mean we'd be playing winter/spring, means we wouldnt be playing the weeks that we have international call ups

JonO
08-25-2008, 04:53 PM
Doesnt mean we'd be playing winter/spring, means we wouldnt be playing the weeks that we have international call ups
When would we make up those weeks?

(not that I'm disagreeing, just taking the other side for now)

Ossington Mental Youth
08-25-2008, 05:03 PM
When would we make up those weeks?

(not that I'm disagreeing, just taking the other side for now)

Dont ask me, thats for the league to figure out. Lord knows its hardly working now, especially coupled with the 18 man roster.

T_Mizz
08-25-2008, 05:07 PM
Exactly, you can't start earlier and you can't really end later so those weeks would have to be lost and give way to a 25-something game schedule which would be even lamer than now

JonO
08-25-2008, 05:14 PM
I'm sure something could be worked out - but it's not a trivial matter, that's all

Ossington Mental Youth
08-25-2008, 05:19 PM
I'm sure something could be worked out - but it's not a trivial matter, that's all

I gotta say it should be considered and if they can do it, do it cuz losing 8 guys to call ups is fucking brutal, especially when you have little to no depth, few teams (arguably 1 or two even) have enough depth to deal with call ups like this, we arent one of em

RPB_Brantford_08
08-25-2008, 06:02 PM
The Revs owner is one of the few owners against an increase to the salary cap.
Lets hope the majority win out for an increase soon.

Ossington Mental Youth
08-25-2008, 06:06 PM

Motherfucker is cheap as shit and will continue to be that way until his scouts fall off or hes forced by the rest of the league.
Its why they dont have an academy (yet) and dont have a stadium.

Draracle
08-25-2008, 07:52 PM
Pick your own kit? This won't happen for a long time. It isn't relative to the success of the league and it is a major sponsorship account.

Redcoe15
08-25-2008, 08:26 PM
Increasing the salary cap will help out big time. But you forgot one teensy weensy important detail: IMPROVE THE GODDAMN SHIT OFFICIATING!!!!! :mad5:

zeelaw
08-25-2008, 08:31 PM
I wud much rather prefer No Salary Cap.

But I think taht might compromise the league because of how its built.

RPB_Brantford_08
08-25-2008, 08:32 PM
Motherfucker is cheap as shit and will continue to be that way until his scouts fall off or hes forced by the rest of the league.
Its why they dont have an academy (yet) and dont have a stadium.

I believe the Revs do have an academy team, they are talked about on wsbk all the time during Revs games...the stadium is owned by the Patriots whose owner owns the Revs...just like Seattle.

T_Mizz
08-25-2008, 08:36 PM
You got served! lol

RPB_Brantford_08
08-25-2008, 08:38 PM
You got served! lol

yeah i know, happens a lot im afraid.:taz:

Ossington Mental Youth
08-25-2008, 08:46 PM
Uh believe you me, the Revs Academy is brand new, ask the supporters, as for the revs 'stadium' its a football stadium, just like redbulls, which is hardly the SSS that is now required of all new teams. The majority of other teams are working towards an SSS, the revs have not made any moves or considerations.

Thanks for serving me.

Ossington Mental Youth
08-25-2008, 08:54 PM
There are 4 SSS under construction right now.

Real Salt Lake (Sep 2008)
New York Red Bull (2009)
Kansas City (2010)
Philadelphia (2010

Houston is in negotiations (albeit ones going poorly)
San Jose is in relative negotiations

Have them
Columbus
TFC
Chicago
Colorado
LA/Chivas
Dallas

New England, little bit of talk last year and then nothing
DCU has converted the ball park and is looking openly

Edit: Looks like im mistaken. Apparently they have been looking into local real estate
Note the skepticism of the revs fans
http://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=751205

T_Mizz
08-25-2008, 08:54 PM
True but in not clearing up your words in the first place they were jumped on and used to serve you and if anyone has seen the South Park episode (you know which one I mean) you just served him back and it's now ON. lol

Ossington Mental Youth
08-25-2008, 08:57 PM
As for Revs academy, just new as the MLS is forcing teams to create them (in accordance to American soccer guidelines etc, i may be wrong here)

Ossington Mental Youth
08-25-2008, 08:58 PM
True but in not clearing up your words in the first place they were jumped on and used to serve you and if anyone has seen the South Park episode (you know which one I mean) you just served him back and it's now ON. lol

HA k

OneLoveOneEric
08-25-2008, 09:02 PM
Scheduling is easy, actually. You double up a few weeks like every other league does. I'm sure our guys could play a Tues and a Sat every now and again....

profit89
08-25-2008, 09:05 PM

He's the cheapest bastard in the league

T_Mizz
08-25-2008, 09:06 PM
Meh that's when Cup games usually are and with the amount of Cups TFC is in we have no time for games midweek but you're thinking, your wheels are turning I like that lol

T_Mizz
08-25-2008, 09:06 PM
This'll cause contreversy but is he cheaper than MLSE even?

kitchener-TFC
08-25-2008, 09:13 PM
1. single table
2. increase cap

4. sss for all
Single table!!!!! and the other two points:p.

stretchthetruth
08-25-2008, 09:55 PM
does anyone else find it extremely annoying that coverage of the game often starts like 10 seconds before kick off? how about a little pre game?

Ossington Mental Youth
08-25-2008, 10:07 PM
does anyone else find it extremely annoying that coverage of the game often starts like 10 seconds before kick off? how about a little pre game?

Thatll happen as the sport gains popularity

profit89
08-25-2008, 10:26 PM
Cheap bugger....

Biography

http://cachemediasrv.patriots.com/ImgDyn.cfm?s=Kraft_Robert.jpg Robert Kraft is the Founder, Chairman and CEO of The Kraft Group, based in Foxborough, Mass. The Kraft Group is the holding company of the Kraft family’s many businesses, with interests concentrated in six areas: manufacturing of paper and packaging, international distribution of forest products, sports and entertainment, real estate development, private equity investing, and philanthropy.
In the field of sports and entertainment, Kraft is widely recognized as one of the most successful owners in professional sports. As Investor/Operator of the New England Revolution (Major League Soccer), Chairman and CEO of the New England Patriots (National Football League), owner of Gillette Stadium and Patriot Place, Kraft has created a world-class sports and entertainment environment in New England.
Under Kraft’s leadership, the New England Revolution and the New England Patriots have delivered nine conference titles and three league championships in the last decade, while his privately-financed Gillette Stadium has given fans a world-class facility in which to enjoy New England’s championship tradition.
Kraft’s long-standing support of soccer in the United States dates back to his efforts in the early 1990s to secure Foxborough as one of the nine host venues for the 1994 FIFA World Cup. The success of the 1994 World Cup ushered in a new era in New England sports and on June 6, 1995, the Kraft family became the founding Investor/Operator of the Revolution, joining Major League Soccer for its inaugural season of 1996.
Kraft's contributions to MLS also include a two-season tenure as Investor/Operator of the San Jose Earthquakes from 1999-2000. Additionally, Foxborough has hosted the MLS Cup championship game three times, including the 2002 final between the Eastern Conference Champion Revolution and the Los Angeles Galaxy in front of the largest crowd in MLS Cup Playoffs history (61,316).
The United States’ men's and women’s national soccer teams have also enjoyed tremendous support from the Kraft family and soccer fans throughout New England. Since 1990, Foxborough has hosted 25 international matches involving U.S. teams at Foxboro Stadium (1990-2001) and Gillette Stadium (2002-present). The U.S. teams have enjoyed remarkable success in Foxborough, compiling a combined record of 20-1-4 in those games. In addition to hosting games in the 1994 Men's World Cup, Foxborough was a host city for the 1999 Women's World Cup, when more than 50,000 fans watched the U.S. women defeat North Korea, 3-0. Gillette Stadium has also hosted the 2003, 2005 and 2007 CONCACAF Gold Cup – the North American, Central American and Caribbean regional championship – and several international friendlies between top national teams, including the Brazil-Mexico showdown in 2007 that saw a record 67,584 fans set a new soccer attendance record at not only Gillette Stadium, but also in all of New England.
Kraft is a lifelong New England sports fan who began attending Boston Patriots games during their infancy in the 1960s. When the franchise moved to Foxborough in 1971, he purchased season tickets for his family, an account he maintained for the next 23 years before purchasing the team in 1994.
The Kraft family has built the Patriots into one of professional sports’ model organizations. Since 1994, the Patriots have won more games (162), more playoff games (17), more conference championships (5) and more Super Bowl championships (3) than any other team in the NFL.
Beyond their success on the field, the Patriots have enjoyed unparalleled support from the New England community under his guidance and Kraft has established himself as one of the most influential and respected owners in the league.
Kraft began his business career with the Rand-Whitney Group, Inc. of Worcester, Mass., a company he later acquired. In 1972, he founded International Forest Products, a trader of paper commodities that now does business in 87 countries around the world. Together, Rand-Whitney and International Forest Products comprise one of the largest privately-owned paper and packaging companies in the United States. In 1998, he founded The Kraft Group to serve as the holding company for the family’s varied business interests, whose holdings include the Rand-Whitney Group, Rand-Whitney Containerboard, International Forest Products, the New England Patriots, the New England Revolution and a portfolio of more than 30 private equity investments.
A native of Brookline, Mass., Kraft attended public schools before being accepted to Columbia University on an academic scholarship. Upon graduation, he received a fellowship to attend Harvard Business School, where he earned a master's degree in business administration.
Kraft serves on the board of directors for Viacom and is on the executive committee of the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, where he established the Robert K. Kraft Family Blood Donor Center. He is a trustee emeritus of his alma mater at Columbia University and is a trustee of Boston College. He has served on the board of directors of numerous institutions, including the Federal Reserve of Boston (New England), and the board of overseers of the Boston Symphony Orchestra. He has also received honorary degrees from a variety of universities. In 2006, Kraft was awarded the NCAA’s highest honor when he received the Theodore Roosevelt Award, which is presented annually to a distinguished citizen of national reputation and outstanding accomplishments.
During the last three decades, the Kraft family has been one of New England’s most philanthropic families, donating millions of dollars in support of local charities and civic affairs. In 2007, the Krafts pledged half a million dollars to the Greater Boston Food Bank to enhance the Kids Café program. The contribution will assure thousands of Boston-area children will receive nutritious meals five days a week.

Beach_Red
08-25-2008, 10:33 PM
Single table!!!!! and the other two points:p.

Right now we're heading into the final nine games in a playoff race with a good chance of making it. If it was a single table our season would pretty much be over, wouldn't it?

RPB_Brantford_08
08-26-2008, 10:13 AM
Right now we're heading into the final nine games in a playoff race with a good chance of making it. If it was a single table our season would pretty much be over, wouldn't it?

single table will never work in north america so i don't think its something we need to worry about. a increase in the salary cap and no pointy ball lines on the fields would be great.

ManUtd4ever
08-26-2008, 11:47 AM
As the overwhelming majority of MLS clubs will be playing in soccer specific stadiums within 3-4 years, I believe the key to the future viability of the league is the quality of play, which has improved exponentially over the last few years. As many have suggested, an increase in the salary cap will have a tremendous impact on the quality of import players coming to MLS to augment the domestic player base...