PDA

View Full Version : Who is your Player of the Year so far?

Daveisonfire
08-25-2008, 08:07 AM
Thoughts?

mclaren
08-25-2008, 08:20 AM
I'd have to say Amado - a player with rare quality in our team. He just has that extra bit of class.

Eastend
08-25-2008, 08:28 AM
I say Ricketts as he seems to always give 100%.

Nuvinho
08-25-2008, 08:29 AM
Greg Sutton

bangersandmash
08-25-2008, 08:30 AM
I guess it is too soon to vote for Barrett?

mclaren
08-25-2008, 08:30 AM
I say Ricketts as he seems to always give 100%.

I'd say Ricketts is probably personality of the year but not player of the year yet. He still has a lot to improve - particularly his consistency.

ACSertL
08-25-2008, 08:31 AM
Voted Guevara with my brain...very influential on the field, just wish he would take more shots when he's got the time and space.

Voted Robbo with my heart, but that won't reflect in the poll results.

Axeman
08-25-2008, 08:33 AM
Jimmy Brennan! Like a Rock, a talented rock.

Super
08-25-2008, 08:43 AM
Considering we've all said from day one that the team as a whole lacks heart, I'd say Ricketts. He's always giving 100%, and that's why he's getting my vote.

redcard
08-25-2008, 08:48 AM
Robinson, he does not get the credit that he deserves..although he was MoM in the last match.

The Kingpin
08-25-2008, 08:49 AM
EASY! The rock of the club. Robbo.

cuecas_red
08-25-2008, 09:04 AM
what about Robert? oh wait...

Wagner
08-25-2008, 09:09 AM
SUTTON!!!
he's made some great stops.
Rarely lets in bad goals.
he's been our rock.
came back strong from the nasty head injury.

Carts
08-25-2008, 09:11 AM
Greg Sutton for me...

Guevara lost his chance at my vote with his dicipline... His straight-red elbow meant we lost him for 2-games, and lost a possible 1-3 points against Dallas as it resulted in a penalty...

Robinson was a close 2nd, but Sutton edged him out because of game-saving plays... Robo is a rock in the mid, no question, and the season isn't over yet - but in my personal opinion Sutton has been leaned on more than any other player, and has producer game-saves (like Saturday night with the diving stop in the 90th plus minute)...

Carts...

dannyd
08-25-2008, 09:31 AM
God help us if Robinson or Sutton are player of the year lol... Guevara for me, his work off the ball, penetrating runs, quick 1-2's make the difference when he's on the pitch imho...

peskypetey
08-25-2008, 09:56 AM
Robbo for me with Sutton coming in a very close second.

Guevera is great to watch when his head is in the game but he hasn't been consistent, partly because he hasn't played enough games with the red/suspension and the month off for unsanctioned Honduras games.

Jack
08-25-2008, 09:58 AM
Robbo for me.

Shakes McQueen
08-25-2008, 10:01 AM
Toss up between Robinson and Ricketts for me.

- Scott

ensco
08-25-2008, 10:07 AM
I can't believe that, with 58 votes cast, I'm the first person to vote for Marvell Wynne.

He should have been on the all-star team, instead of Brennan, imho.

Not saying he's perfect, but he has been one of our top 3 players in more matches than any other player.

CoachGT
08-25-2008, 10:09 AM
Robbo for me. He's the key to the midfield and has played well pretty game in and game out. Sutton is a close second, but he has had a few senior moments - he's made some truly world class plays, but there have been a few too many of the second Dallas goal types for my liking. Love Ricketts heart and good quality touches, but his effectiveness will be more evident and improved when we have quality strikers for him to get the ball to.

Strikers
08-25-2008, 10:17 AM
I picked Sutton, but Robbo is up there as well.

RPB_Brantford_08
08-25-2008, 10:22 AM
Sutton

followed by:
Marshall,
Wynne
Guevara,
Ricketts,
Ibby,

Cashcleaner
08-25-2008, 10:29 AM
I think I'll go with Sutton, but it's a difficult choice between him, Brennan, Ricketts, and Robinson.

Damien
08-25-2008, 10:40 AM
Where's the option for Ruiz? ;)

dupont
08-25-2008, 10:48 AM
I voted Sutton but I also like Guevara so far.

NF-FC
08-25-2008, 10:53 AM
What, no love for Dichio? Even with the injuries he's been our player of the year. We're a different team with him on the pitch. If he didn't get injured he'd still be among the leading goals scorers in the league.

Wolfe
08-25-2008, 10:58 AM
Wow, very tough, I want to say Dichio because in his limited playing time, he has had one of the biggest impacts, and he seems to be the biggest difference maker when he is on the field, he dishes well and creates lots of chances. But with him being injured for as long as he has, it is hard to say, I think there are a lot of choices, Ricketts shows the heart and is always going full speed, Robo is a rock in the middle of the midfield, I just wish he knew how to step over a ball when he kicks it, Brennan has been solid on D and is showing that he will do what he needs to for the team with his firey outbursts, Sutton has been very solid in goal, but I think that he has let some weak goals in.

Whoop
08-25-2008, 10:58 AM
If Barrett gets us in the playoffs, I would end up voting for him.

Sutton was the favourite at the beginning of the year. Guevara is really the best player on the team but his fuck up against Dallas still irks me. Ricketts gives it his all, but his lack of finish hurts him as that's what everyone remembers. Wynne shows flashes but everyone remembers his lack of crossing ability.

So by default it ends up being Robinson. He makes lost of mistakes, but they aren't as glaring.

Whoop
08-25-2008, 11:02 AM
I think the variety of opinions here represent one of the small problems the team has in who is the leader of this team?

I know Brennan is the captain and he is a fine captain, but I mean who is the guy you point to, to be the man during the game? The guy who when the game is on the line "says fuck you I'm taking over this game and taking all of you with me" and proceeds to do lead the team to victory.

LucaGol
08-25-2008, 11:08 AM
I think the variety of opinions here represent one of the small problems the team has in who is the leader of this team?

I know Brennan is the captain and he is a fine captain, but I mean who is the guy you point to, to be the man during the game? The guy who when the game is on the line "says fuck you I'm taking over this game and taking all of you with me" and proceeds to do lead the team to victory.

Interesting way to put it, but I completely agree.

SLBuu
08-25-2008, 11:13 AM
im going with Sutton!!!!

for me he has been solid and the most consistent/reliable

NF-FC
08-25-2008, 11:16 AM

it's Dichio, he's just been injured. look at our all time record with and without Big Dich in the lineup

Oblio2
08-25-2008, 11:28 AM
Robinson :hump:

Whoop
08-25-2008, 11:29 AM
Dichio was the one guy who I thought of when I was typing that. But he's been injured most of the year.

But yeah, Dichio is closest thing to that.

RicoSuave44
08-25-2008, 12:00 PM
This was easy for me....

SUTTON!

TFC USA
08-25-2008, 12:05 PM
Jeff Cunningham. I don't know why we traded him.

12 goals this season, he won us the game against Montreal with that tap-in from 6 inches, he always runs hard and for the most part is shots are on target.

bimmer
08-25-2008, 12:10 PM
ROBBO!!!

Followed by Sutton and Ricketts.

Bobo
08-25-2008, 12:17 PM
There's only one Greg Sutton!

Daveisonfire
08-25-2008, 12:56 PM
lol she's a close one

trane
08-25-2008, 01:09 PM

This is the problem, we have a leader who does that Dichio, but he has missed way to much of the season.

etro
08-25-2008, 01:26 PM
wynne... this guy shows up every game... fastest guy in mls

dannyd
08-25-2008, 01:42 PM
Jeff Cunningham. I don't know why we traded him.

12 goals this season, he won us the game against Montreal with that tap-in from 6 inches, he always runs hard and for the most part is shots are on target.

... and his great football brain, the great runs he makes to open up spaces in the defense... yeah, he's "world class"...

trane
08-25-2008, 02:10 PM
What, no love for Dichio? Even with the injuries he's been our player of the year. We're a different team with him on the pitch. If he didn't get injured he'd still be among the leading goals scorers in the league.

I agree, but I did not vote for him, because he has played so little for us this year. If he is in, we would have at least one a couple of more at home, which would put us right into the playoff race.

v00d00daddy
08-25-2008, 02:41 PM
I voted for Guevara but only based on pure skill. He's our best player in terms of talent and brains.

For most valuable, I find it hard to choose one because it's hard to determine how valuable one guy is because they all play different positions and contribute differently. It's also hard to figure out how much a player is "needed" out there because there are so many other factors.

Anyways....I think if you voted for Sutton, Robbo or Ricketts you're probably right, as long as you voted based on heart, hard work and how nice they are with the fans. If you voted purely based on talent and didn't vote for Guevara, I don't know what you were thinking.

manic.street.preacher
08-25-2008, 02:50 PM
Robbo for me ... closely followed by Sutton

T_Mizz
08-25-2008, 02:54 PM
Crazy how Robinson is so far up there after all the anti-Robbo threads, I say Dichio because he seems to have been the only striker who can finish and you can't win without scoring.

boban
08-25-2008, 03:03 PM
Bitchy!!

ManUtd4ever
08-25-2008, 03:20 PM
Sutton and Robbo...

Markham_RPB
08-25-2008, 03:23 PM
There is no way Marco Velez is our "POTY"

So who's the one that voted him , because I would clearly like to hear there explanation on that one !

BigLou
08-25-2008, 04:19 PM
Can't say enough about Robbo.....

Ratven
08-25-2008, 04:38 PM
Really? I voted for Wynne, I think on pure effort, no one tries harder out there than Marvell Wynne game in and game out.

Oblio2
08-25-2008, 04:59 PM
It's a shame we still don't have Welsh :)

WELSHY FOR ENGLAND!!!!

mclaren
08-25-2008, 05:02 PM
Poor Tyrone! :)

TFC_Chris
08-25-2008, 05:18 PM
No questions about this: Jeff Cunningham....for leaving us alone...
Close second: Collin Samuel

Bobo
08-25-2008, 06:17 PM
Not sure why Ricketts has so many votes. The guy goes invisible for large parts of matches.

zeelaw
08-25-2008, 06:22 PM
Robbo or Sutton.

But Robbo nips him, because he gets a lot of unnneccessary stick.

People cant appreciate the DM role unless you play it.

Draracle
08-25-2008, 07:39 PM
Among many worth picks: Amado. When he plays he changes the game. Our core becomes much more secure, our wingers can stay on the outside and keep the field from getting cluttered, and when panic begins to set in he can calm the team when he gets the ball. The whole team has tons of confidence in Amado.

kitchener-TFC
08-25-2008, 09:16 PM
Although my signature says Robbo, I voted Ricketts.
IMO, the players of the year are both Robbo and Ricketts.

ua-kozak_TFC
08-25-2008, 09:31 PM
WIthout a shadow of a doubt Sutton... He is the most consistent player on our squad by far. Every game he makes crazy saves and without him we would get pulverized on many ocassion. the rest of the players to be fair have good moments on ocassions and the rest ofn the time are invisible. Sutton is the most consisten player on our squad.

ua-kozak_TFC
08-25-2008, 09:37 PM
Not sure why Ricketts has so many votes. The guy goes invisible for large parts of matches.

i totally agree with you. Maybe ricketts-mania has hit toronto as beckham-mania has hit LA at one point.

I think it most likely because fans always like to relate to a play maker or goal scorer something exciting you see it in every team... sadly in toronto we have no good ones and fans try to relate to the next best thing... which technically are guevara and rickets (play maker of the team) although in my eyes far from good ones... The reality is that most of fans don't like to associate with/have as an idol a defensive player or a goaltender which could be seen as "dull"

Jeffro
08-25-2008, 10:54 PM
I'm between Jimmy B and Sutton... I also understand the Robbo backers, if he could only clean up his passing out of the back he'd be a shoe in, just far too many bad give-aways for my liking, although he tends to make up for his own mistakes. As for Ricketts, I love the guy too, but I think his flair blinds a lot of people to some of his shortcomings.

Sutton and Brennan have been monsters for us this year.

I_AM_CANADIAN
08-25-2008, 10:57 PM
For me it's either Dichio or Ricketts, but also a shoutout to Brennan, Guevara and Robinson, they've also played well.

ensco
08-26-2008, 06:46 AM
I'm torn between Huckerby and O'Brien...

oops wrong thread

Daveisonfire
08-26-2008, 12:05 PM
I'm surprised that Ricketts has more votes than Guevara

Smenge
08-26-2008, 01:17 PM
Maurice Edu. Because five years from now, he will be the only one that is still playing.

jloome
08-27-2008, 12:24 AM
I'm surprised that Ricketts has more votes than Guevara

Work ethic goes a long way here, as does being around for more than half the season:cool:

TFCREDNWHITE
08-27-2008, 12:28 AM
Sutts for me! He has saved our ASS numerous times!!!

King Tut
08-27-2008, 08:31 AM
Easy...GREG SUTTON!

Daveisonfire
08-27-2008, 08:36 AM
Work ethic goes a long way here, as does being around for more than half the season:cool:

Very true, I just think that Guevara transforms this team whenever he's on the pitch..but yes, he is definitely absent far too much

I voted Robbo anyways :D

Roogsy
08-27-2008, 08:38 AM
Danny D has been hurt too much this season to help us and you really can't give a guy "Player of the Year" honours when he has been riding the bench for half the season. I feel for him though...it's obvious this team needs him badly.

Guevara has been inconsistent and gone too much, both for the red card and international duty.

Jimmy B always a rock for us, but not quite the same year as last year. His temper seems to have gotten away from him a little bit.

Sutton has been great, but has had mental lapses at times. He's let in some soft ones while making some spectacular saves. I think those great saves are overshadowing some glaring deficiencies in goal.

Robbo comes in a close 2nd for me. A steady hand in midfield, his only fault is that he is completely inept offensively. While not a big part of his game, it should at least be A part of it. Those field goals from 20 yards out are killing me.

Ricketts for me. Plays 90 minutes a game. Feels it for the team and fans when we lose and has setup a ton of goals and opportunities, not to mention scored a few himself. This is the kind of player I want to see on TFC and therefore, he gets my vote. I sincerely hope he gets it, I would be disappointed if he didn't.

CoachGT
08-27-2008, 09:54 AM
Well said Roogsy. Agree with all of what you've said, but I still think Robbo comes out on top. His work ethic is great, and I think his game is focused on defensive responsibilities - something much harder to assess.

Ricketts plays with his heart on his sleeve, and may become even more effective with strikers in the lineup, but Robbo is a little ahead for me at this point. That may change in the final nine games.

Fort York Redcoat
08-27-2008, 10:00 AM
Guevara. I took into consideration absences and outbursts but for me he's the new player in that has contributed the most to give this team a feeling of improvement.

Roogsy
08-27-2008, 11:02 AM
Well said Roogsy. Agree with all of what you've said, but I still think Robbo comes out on top. His work ethic is great, and I think his game is focused on defensive responsibilities - something much harder to assess.

Ricketts plays with his heart on his sleeve, and may become even more effective with strikers in the lineup, but Robbo is a little ahead for me at this point. That may change in the final nine games.

If Robbo won it...I would be ok with it. I think he deserves SOME accolades for the unheralded work he does do in the middle. The Robbo haters are really blind in my eyes.

I just wish as a professional soccer player, he would at least hit the target well enough to create more chances or even a goal when we get in the final third. Very frustrating for me, which is why I put him behind Ricketts.

Daveisonfire
08-29-2008, 12:11 PM
Oy Vey..we can't have a 3-way co-POTY hahahah

Daveisonfire
08-31-2008, 05:37 PM
So who want to change their vote lol

giambac
08-31-2008, 08:54 PM
This team doesn't have a player of the year.

I don't believe in awrding it to aplayer just for the sake of doing it.

I think managemnt and the coaching staff should make a statement to the team and the fans. They shouldn't awrd it this nyear becasue from top to bottom, from players to players, from managemnt to coaches, it has been a toatl disappointment, a total waste of a season.

I think managemnt can get 1 thing right and don't give the award. Actions would speak volume and this would send a messgae to all the players.

tfc_4_ever
08-31-2008, 09:07 PM
Wynne should Wynne it...

My sense of humor:)

giambac
08-31-2008, 09:14 PM
Wynne should Wynne it...

My sense of humor:)

I don't get it?:noidea:

can you explain it to me.:D

Thanks and God Bless.:)

MFG1
08-31-2008, 09:24 PM
As it looks like now my vote goes to the dirty blond haired ticket taker girl from in and around gate 3. She always has a kinda emo pissed off look but it screams of CONSISTANCY" I need to make her laugh once by the end of the season. that frumpy frown does it for me

colman1860
08-31-2008, 09:31 PM
Marvell Wynne for me.

P.S. The negativity on this board really gets to me. No player of the year? Are you the emo girl at gate 3?

Kickit09
09-01-2008, 11:21 AM
last i checked player of the year usually went to the player who performed and helped his team the most, its not a "effort of the year" award. allthough thats exactly what this is. sad.

NateDoGG
09-01-2008, 02:43 PM
wow alot of robinson lovers? and not many wynne lovers at all?

wow...

anyways, mista rohan ricketts for me

Cuchulain
09-01-2008, 10:04 PM
I voted for Wynne. I know he hasn't scored but his effort is always there.

David_Oliveira
09-01-2008, 11:20 PM
I'd have to say it is Sutts. If it wasn't for him, the score lines would be embarrassing. He's kept us close alot of the games when it shouldn't be close ie DC Utd. at the beginning of the season

Footie-11
09-01-2008, 11:47 PM
Wynne for me. Wynne is by far the hardest worker and is solid defensivily and saves a ton of goals. I don't think Wynne gets enough credit for all the great work he does on the field.

VPjr
09-02-2008, 12:34 AM
Bitchy the Hawk gets my vote. still keeping the seagulls away very effectively.

the only player who would get a half vote would be Sutton. I like Jimmy B but he's not been nearly as effective this year as last year.

rocker
09-02-2008, 08:59 AM
i still say dichio, because he's still our leading goal scorer, on a team that's had a terrible time scoring.. and when he's out the team is lost. so he's "player of the year" as I define it -- the guy we need the most.

giambac
09-02-2008, 10:13 AM
This team doesn't have a player of the year.

I don't believe in awrding it to aplayer just for the sake of doing it.

I think managemnt and the coaching staff should make a statement to the team and the fans. They shouldn't awrd it this nyear becasue from top to bottom, from players to players, from managemnt to coaches, it has been a toatl disappointment, a total waste of a season.

I think managemnt can get 1 thing right and don't give the award. Actions would speak volume and this would send a messgae to all the players.

If you have to vote for one and give the ward away I would select Cunningham>>>>>>