PDA

View Full Version : Today’s News, Monday , Aug.25

denime
08-25-2008, 06:13 AM
Ruiz, offence missing in action
New striker 'en route' from Guatemala amid rumours he won't report
Morgan Campbell

As last night's 1-1 draw with the New England Revolution wore on, and tiring TFC players blew chances to break the tie, head coach John Carver couldn't help but glance at the bench and wonder if the true difference maker was the guy who wasn't there.
He didn't mean Maurice Edu, who watched yesterday's game from the south stands a day after finalizing his $5 million (U.S.) transfer to Glasgow Rangers.
Instead, Carver pined for Carlos Ruiz, who came to TFC in a mid-week trade with the L.A. Galaxy, but who still hasn't reported.
Amid Internet rumours that a disgruntled Ruiz planned not to report to Toronto, Carver said the Guatemalan striker and former league MVP made a quick trip to Los Angeles after a World Cup qualifier in Guatemala. He said Ruiz has already spoken to team management and wished the squad luck in last night's game.
Carver expects Ruiz to join his new team as soon as tomorrow.
Ruiz has scored 82 goals in 150 career MLS games, along with 39 more in international matches, and Carver says TFC could have used his scoring touch last night.

Read more (http://www.thestar.com/Sports/Soccer/article/484368)

Ruiz can't arrive quickly enough
LARRY MILLSON

TORONTO — Carlos Ruiz is expected to catch up with Toronto FC this week, perhaps as early as today, when the Major League Soccer team resumes training at BMO Field.
After a 1-1 draw with the New England Revolution on Saturday, Toronto head coach John Carver was left wondering what might have been had Ruiz, or another proven striker, been in his lineup up front with Chad Barrett, who scored the tying goal in the 66th minute.
It was a game of missed chances that, if taken, could have secured Toronto three points instead of the one before the announced crowd of 20,461.
With seven wins, nine losses and five ties in 21 games, TFC has nine games left in which to reach a playoff spot. And to get there, someone needs to step up and take advantage of gift chances. At 26 points, Toronto is two short of a playoff spot.
"You stick [Ruiz] up there with Chad and half of those chances end up in the back of the net," Carver said. "That's why it's crucial we get two guys who come alive inside the box."

Read more (http://www.globesports.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080823.wspttfc23/GSStory/GlobeSportsSoccer/home)

Surly internationals hurting TFC's playoff hopes ... Canada robbed by inconsistent officiating ... Johnston lashes out at BMO FieldTurf
By GARETH WHEELER

Food poisoning is the worst.
But, the good thing about burying your head in a bucket for 24 hours is having a lot of time to think and reflect. Not about what fast-food joint ruined your weekend, but on a busy and eventful week of soccer in Toronto.
Deep breath -- first thought; forward Carlos Ruiz and his trade to Toronto.
Historically, Central American players have had a lot of success in MLS. Ruiz is no different, making Toronto FC's trade for him earlier this week a no-brainer.
Unfortunately, his achievements on the field don't disguise the red flags raised because of his poor attitude. The shenanigans he pulled during the trade process to TFC this past week, and making himself unavailable for Saturday night's match, are completely inexcusable.
All week, Ruiz reportedly was unreachable, not answering phone calls from the league or TFC. It doesn't matter where you are in the world, there's something called a cell phone, on which anyone can be reached at any time.
Being incommunicado is a choice, rather than an excuse.
If three full days isn't enough time to return from international duty, then you know where his commitment lies.

Read more (http://www.torontosun.com/Sports/OtherSports/2008/08/25/6562386-sun.html)

http://i33.tinypic.com/aavlon.jpg

Soccer's success hard to ignore
Jeremy Loome,Sun Media

If nothing else, the debate over Canada's national soccer stadium is a lesson in the nasty influence of politics.
To those in the soccer community, it was never been complicated: Despite being the most popular participatory sport in Canada, soccer had never been given much a chance by big business, government or media.
When Major League Soccer's Toronto FC arrived, it became clear thousands of Canadians want good soccer, now. The team has an eight-year long wait for season tickets, sells out the 20,000-seat BMO Field for every game and has 16,000 season ticket holders -- 3,000 more than the Argos.
Point made, right? Apparently not, and that's where politics come in. According a Toronto city council report, circa Oct. 31, 2005, BMO is supposed to be Canada's national soccer stadium. It is repeatedly referenced as such, and includes a commitment clause to which the federally-funded Canadian Soccer Association agreed before the feds kicked $27 million into construction.

Read more (http://lfpress.ca/newsstand/Opinion/Editorials/2008/08/25/6561261.html)

SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/SUNshineGirl/home.html) :noidea:

JDG
08-25-2008, 06:23 AM
Good Morning denime!

mclaren
08-25-2008, 07:01 AM
Nice article by Jeremy Loome.

The Kingpin
08-25-2008, 07:13 AM
Ruiz is a cancer and will only prove to disrupt the locker room. If it takes two years to get grass, then we will have to be patient and realise that TFC will be a fairly poor team until then. It seems we can only attract the dregs of the league at this point, maybe we can be one of those misfit teams like Wimbledon.

Shakes McQueen
08-25-2008, 07:18 AM
Guevara refused a trade to us last season, and now he loves being in Toronto, and hasn't really been a problem (aside from his occasional temper flare ups at the refs).

Perhaps Ruiz will be the same way - once you get past the turf, I imagine Toronto is a fun place to play as an MLS player. You actually have rabid fans, who will chant your name loudly if you earn it. The closest thing you will have to feeling like you football play in Europe, without leaving The USA/Canada.

I see Toronto FC as more of the Dallas Cowboys of association football. Take in the ex-convicts and outcasts, and rehabilitate them into fantastic deals (i.e. Terrell Owens). :D

I hope so, anyway. The fact that Guevara worked out doesn't necessarily indicate a trend, just yet.

- Scott

Stouffville_RPB
08-25-2008, 07:21 AM
Ruiz not reporting. I knew I didn't want him. I hope the grass gets here soon so we don't need to count on flakes like Ruiz anymore.

ensco
08-25-2008, 07:27 AM
Nice article by Jeremy Loome.

I assume that's "jloome" on here?

It's a nice piece.

Maple Leaf Red
08-25-2008, 07:30 AM
Ruiz is a cancer and will only prove to disrupt the locker room. If it takes two years to get grass, then we will have to be patient and realise that TFC will be a fairly poor team until then. It seems we can only attract the dregs of the league at this point, maybe we can be one of those misfit teams like Wimbledon.
Everyone said the same thing about Guevara but that hasn't come to pass yet.

Chevy
08-25-2008, 07:45 AM
I love it when the SSG's wear bathing suits two sizes too small.

The Kingpin
08-25-2008, 08:25 AM
Everyone said the same thing about Guevara but that hasn't come to pass yet.

Slow returns from international duty is a big problem in my books. MLS teams already have diminished rosters, not reporting while knowing this is a slap in the face to teammates and supporters. He has also hurt the club with his petulance on the pitch as well... Sure he plays well when on the field, but 'when on the field' is the key statement...

mclaren
08-25-2008, 08:29 AM
Slow returns from international duty is a big problem in my books. MLS teams already have diminished rosters, not reporting while knowing this is a slap in the face to teammates and supporters. He has also hurt the club with his petulance on the pitch as well... Sure he plays well when on the field, but 'when on the field' is the key statement...

If he returned back late (i.e. it wasn't agreed with the club) he should be disciplined (fined, dropped from a few games etc.) Roy Keane dropped Chimbonda on the weekend because he turned up late for a team walk near the hotel in London before the Spurs game. Chimbonda was given a strong message that although he is a new signing and a fairly big name player, he still has to play by the rules. Carver should do the same here, even if it hurts our team for a game. Discipline is critical.

The Kingpin
08-25-2008, 08:46 AM
If he returned back late (i.e. it wasn't agreed with the club) he should be disciplined (fined, dropped from a few games etc.) Roy Keane dropped Chimbonda on the weekend because he turned up late for a team walk near the hotel in London before the Spurs game. Chimbonda was given a strong message that although he is a new signing and a fairly big name player, he still has to play by the rules. Carver should do the same here, even if it hurts our team for a game. Discipline is critical.

Agreed, but I think this is when you'd see the 'true' Guevara. I don't have a big 'hate on' for the guy, I just like players who treat their teammates and club with the utmost respect. I think I just question his motivations.

cuecas_red
08-25-2008, 08:46 AM
I'm thinking it might have been agreed apon since he was traded Tuesday evening when he was in Guttumala and probably didn't leave there until late wednesday early Thursday at which point he would have probably flew to LA since when he left LA he was part of the LAG. Then there are probably some loose ends to tie up there too.

Dave67
08-25-2008, 08:49 AM

The guy must of lived somewhere near LA. Gets traded while out of the country and now needs to move to a new home in a different country. Surely he can be excused if he needs a few days to grab his personal items and move.

bangersandmash
08-25-2008, 08:54 AM
The guy must of lived somewhere near LA. Gets traded while out of the country and now needs to move to a new home in a different country. Surely he can be excused if he needs a few days to grab his personal items and move.

Agreed. Guevara has proven that locker room cancer is a treatable disease. I'm willing to wait and let Ruiz's boots do the talking.

Oldtimer
08-25-2008, 09:17 AM
CONCACAF's Answer To The UEFA Champions League

American soccer fans, the thrill of Champions League soccer is coming to a stadium near you.
No, UEFA isn't outsourcing its matches to the United States. CONCACAF is launching its own edition of the foremost club competition in the world.
Some devoted fans may be wondering what happened to the CONCACAF Champions Cup. Well, the new Champions League is essentially that tournament, on steroids.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/50650-concacafs-answer-to-the-uefa-champions-league

rocker
08-25-2008, 09:21 AM

this is what i was thinking.
it's one thing to go back to your team after.. but quite another to go to a new team in a new country. i'll cut him some slack on that as long as he's ready for the next game.

James17930
08-25-2008, 10:26 AM

I agree as well. I don't see any reason why he should have had to arrive before the weekend. Give the guy a break.

Remember, these 'rumours' that he wouldn't report are just that -- rumours. I think the whole thing's probably horseshit.

Let the guy at least show up and get a training session in and talk to the media before everyone starts dumping on him.

Ron Manager
08-25-2008, 10:33 AM
I agree as well. I don't see any reason why he should have had to arrive before the weekend. Give the guy a break.

Remember, these 'rumours' that he wouldn't report are just that -- rumours. I think the whole thing's probably horseshit.

Let the guy at least show up and get a training session in and talk to the media before everyone starts dumping on him.

Indeed and be sure he gets a huge welcome from us when he steps on the pitch at BMO.

Beach_Red
08-25-2008, 10:57 AM
Soccer's success hard to ignore
Jeremy Loome,Sun Media

Whoever that is... ;)

rocker
08-25-2008, 11:51 AM
if Ruiz had had those chances Ricketts had, he would have scored on at least one of em.
that's not a knock on Ricketts, but just a realization that Ruiz has scored a shitload of goals in this league.

Nuvinho
08-25-2008, 01:59 PM
RUIZ IN TUESDAY:

Carlos Ruiz will meet up with his new team for the first time on Tuesday. The Guatemalan striker is scheduled to arrive in Toronto later today. "When he didn't turn up at the weekend, everybody was saying it was because he doesn't want to play on the turf, but that wasn't the case," said Coach John Carver. "The good news is that he is flying in tonight, and then he can see the stadium and the facilities and have a look at the turf." Carver believes he can get the best out of Ruiz, who is eighth on the list of all-time leading MLS scorers but had fallen out of favour in L.A. "I've got to get the best out of him, and I think I know how to do that," said Carver. "He will certainly enjoy the training here and the fitness work with Paul Winsper. So I'm looking forward to managing him and getting the best out of him, because if we do that, it will be a big benefit to us."
"They tell me his one of the best finishers in the league so that excites me. I've heard he is a good guy in the locker room and that he's a good character. What I'm not going to do is start a war with him. You can't do that with certain players. Some players need a cuddle to get the best out of them and you have to get in the faces of others. This is a guy who you have to show respect to."
"He can be a hero here. It's not as if he is in his thirties, so he has some good years left ahead of him. If he gets a couple of early goals the supporters will love him and he could become an icon," said Carver.

http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20080825&content_id=183160&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280

CoachGT
08-25-2008, 02:15 PM
:

If he gets a couple of early goals the supporters will love him and he could become an icon," said Carver.

Something like Barrett has done - he's had a couple of beauties already!

Smenge
08-25-2008, 02:19 PM
Nice article JLoome. You can be an abrasive pain in the ass, particularly when somebody (me) disagrees with you...but you are a good writer.

jloome
08-25-2008, 03:42 PM
Gotta admit, Barrett looks like the real deal so far. Not sure what those folks in Chicago were whining about. Looks like a steady 10-goal-plus per season forward.

professor
08-25-2008, 04:55 PM
if Ruiz had had those chances Ricketts had, he would have scored on at least one of em.
that's not a knock on Ricketts, but just a realization that Ruiz has scored a shitload of goals in this league.

No, it should be a knock on Ricketts, he's a professional, but one who's inconsistency is the mainstay of his game

Ricketts rode the bench at Barnsley FC, a club that finished in the lower third of the CCC, and they released him for no consideration

After limited appearances over 3 years with Spurs, his career trajectory was going in the wrong direction, sniffs & spells with Coventry, Wolves and QPR

We're seeing why he's here in the MLS at 25, he's done in the UK

and he's one of our better players (name me a Cdn player = to RR?)

which further illustrates just how poor player development is here in Canada and why we needed the MLS to serve as a destination and incentive for our future emerging prospects

v00d00daddy
08-25-2008, 06:46 PM
No, it should be a knock on Ricketts, he's a professional, but one who's inconsistency is the mainstay of his game

Ricketts rode the bench at Barnsley FC, a club that finished in the lower third of the CCC, and they released him for no consideration

After limited appearances over 3 years with Spurs, his career trajectory was going in the wrong direction, sniffs & spells with Coventry, Wolves and QPR

which further illustrates just how poor player development is here in Canada and why we needed the MLS to serve as a destination and incentive for our future emerging prospects

I agree with this post 100%. Well said.

themodelcitizen
08-25-2008, 09:15 PM
TFC in score draw at BMO
(http://tfc.american-soccer-news.com/)

boban
08-25-2008, 09:22 PM
TFC in score draw at BMO (http://tfc.american-soccer-news.com/)
Whose sight is this?
Whats with all the 'american'?

jloome
08-26-2008, 06:35 PM

He's a winger!?!? How does missing scoring chances have anything to do with his "consistency." Prior to coming over he had 3 goals in 44 appearances, so obviously it's never been part of his game.

He didn't really crap out there, either. He had manager changes back-to-back-to-back at Spurs, Wolves and Barnsley, and went from in favour to in the doghouse; it happens over there all the time to the guys just below the superstar level. I think he'd do very well if he was playing day in and day out at the CCC level.

I don't think his lack of finish has any bearing on his game whatsoever.