PDA

View Full Version : Donations for John Carver fine? Yes? No?

Nuvinho
05-18-2008, 09:10 AM
I was just thinking as Rogsy pointed out that we need to show support for Carver. If we each donate $1 to pay the $1,000 fine for Carver. Even if he doesn't take the money, it can be donated to charity.

What does everyone think??

[mods delete/move if you don't feel its appropriate]

ag futbol
05-18-2008, 09:14 AM
How about this:

Carver doesn't need our money, he already has plenty. Instead we match the fine and give it to a charity. My choice:

Something for the vision impared. Make it clear what we're donating it for when we do it.

Nuvinho
05-18-2008, 09:16 AM
How about this:

Carver doesn't need our money, he already has plenty. Instead we match the fine and give it to a charity. My choice:

Something for the vision impared. Make it clear what we're donating it for when we do it.

sounds good!

stretchthetruth
05-18-2008, 09:17 AM
i think in this instance something like this would be more symbolic, and less about the actual money. of course Carver has the dough, and the club will probably cough it up for him anyway, but it would be a nice show of support IMO... the charity thing is also a great idea!

TorontoFC_Matt
05-18-2008, 09:19 AM
i think in this instance something like this would be more symbolic, and less about the actual money. of course Carver has the dough, and the club will probably cough it up for him anyway, but it would be a nice show of support IMO... the charity thing is also a great idea!

I am always good for donating to charities. It also shows that we support Carver, but giving it to charity crates a positive vibe. :)

Just a thought

stretchthetruth
05-18-2008, 09:21 AM
yeah matching the fine and giving it to charity is an awesome idea... and i bet JC would think it was pretty cool too

Chevy
05-18-2008, 09:22 AM
I'm sure the Canadian National Institute for the Blind (CNIB) will take our money.

Nuvinho
05-18-2008, 09:23 AM
Yeah, I don't think JC would ever take the money, he would love the idea for giving it to Charity, so will TFC.

alexintoronto
05-18-2008, 09:24 AM
I understand the show of support, but instead of giving the money to charity after he turns it down, why not use it for a tifo about the situation?

=symbolic support & visual support

T0R0NT0 FC
05-18-2008, 09:25 AM
Lets do it!

Batman
05-18-2008, 09:26 AM
We'll be launching a new charity initiative next week.

I'd prefer we put the organizing effort into that.

I'm sure the team will cover carvers fine, and no doubt based upon the price of beer at the stadium MLSE can afford it.

BTW I do appreciate the optics though.

fiji_blue
05-18-2008, 09:27 AM
Definitely a fitting charity ...

ag futbol
05-18-2008, 09:39 AM
I'm sure the Canadian National Institute for the Blind (CNIB) will take our money.
Ahhh, thanks for that. I couldn't think of the name.

One thing to consider though is whether our donation makes us look like we're putting down blind people (maybe i'm being overly politically correct? It does sound kind of stupid, but i'd hate to see this used against us). Probably not an issue, anyone else have thoughts on this?

Don Julio
05-18-2008, 09:51 AM
90% of sports fines never get paid anyway.. They get lost in a series of appeals that the public never sees. Might be different in a totalitarian league like MLS, though, but I would think Carver has a contract with the team not the league?

Azerban
05-18-2008, 10:27 AM

One thing to consider though is whether our donation makes us look like we're putting down blind people (maybe i'm being overly politically correct? It does sound kind of stupid, but i'd hate to see this used against us). Probably not an issue, anyone else have thoughts on this?

Maybe it is a little insulting to blind people to compare them to MLS refs, I mean you can be legally blind and still have enough partial vision to see that Schelloto is a diving pussy.

But really, you can't be serious.

Bobo
05-18-2008, 10:31 AM
Lets do it!

ag futbol
05-18-2008, 10:41 AM
Maybe it is a little insulting to blind people to compare them to MLS refs, I mean you can be legally blind and still have enough partial vision to see that Schelloto is a diving pussy.

But really, you can't be serious.
Fair enough, I just thought I'd throw it out there. It was just a thought.

You are right it is pretty stupid to think that would offend the blind people, but it seems the way the media is sometimes, they are always fishing for some fake bullshit controversy.

bdrs
05-18-2008, 10:44 AM
How about this:

Love this idea!

Chevy

You may be right here. The CNIB thing makes me a little uneasy.

This may sound stupid, but does anyone know someone who is vision impaired? Run it by them.

Azerban
Fair enough, I just thought I'd throw it out there. It was just a thought.

You are right it is pretty stupid to think that would offend the blind people, but it seems the way the media is sometimes, they are always fishing for some fake bullshit controversy.

Soccer Supporters Group Insults Charity By Giving Them Money

That's a terrible headline, man. :D

alexintoronto
I would personally be offended if you put me on the same level as an MLS ref :D

Oh ya and:
Tifo = shows support!

Eastend
05-18-2008, 10:45 AM
what was he fined for?

giambac
05-18-2008, 10:46 AM
I was just thinking as Rogsy pointed out that we need to show support for Carver. If we each donate $1 to pay the $1,000 fine for Carver. Even if he doesn't take the money, it can be donated to charity.

What does everyone think??

[mods delete/move if you don't feel its appropriate]

Great idea.

It will further show the rest of the league that we are the best football fans in NA and also so passionate about the team. If anything it will give our team and city even more recognition

The donation to charity is a great idea. Some organizatiion of choice will get a good benefit out of it.

Red CB Toronto
05-18-2008, 10:48 AM
I will be quite happy to throw a couple bucks or more behind this.

ag futbol
05-18-2008, 10:50 AM
Soccer Supporters Group Insults Charity By Giving Them Money

That's a terrible headline, man. :D
Don't you mean "soccer hooligans insult blind people by comparing them to MLS Refs". I will check MLS rumors next week for that one.

werewolf
05-18-2008, 11:08 AM
I would be a great idea, very symbolic.

However, if we can get $1000 together, lets make a banner or some flags.

TFC07
05-18-2008, 11:15 AM
MLSE should paid his fine. $1000 is nothing to them.

werewolf
05-18-2008, 11:16 AM
couldn't we get $1000 of Monopoly money and send it to them? Or Disney money (does something like that exist) for their Mickey Mouse refereeing.

The Pope
05-18-2008, 11:23 AM
I would be a great idea, very symbolic.

However, if we can get $1000 together, lets make a banner or some flags.

I'd agree with this and what Alex is saying, lets do visual support rather than moral

Mango Kid
05-18-2008, 11:30 AM
I'll go one further - I'll donate a buck for every game the rest of the way so he can keep doing what he's doing.

He can go Allen Iverson on them - when Iverson got a fine for not wearing a tie on a flight, violating a team rule, he pulled out his chequebook and said "okay, let me know what the rest of the year is going to cost me". Let 'em have it J.C.!

Oldtimer
05-18-2008, 12:23 PM
I'll go one further - I'll donate a buck for every game the rest of the way so he can keep doing what he's doing.

He can go Allen Iverson on them - when Iverson got a fine for not wearing a tie on a flight, violating a team rule, he pulled out his chequebook and said "okay, let me know what the rest of the year is going to cost me". Let 'em have it J.C.!

lol good story.

pepher
05-18-2008, 12:28 PM
so what did Carver do to get the fine? anyone? anyone?

pepher
05-18-2008, 12:42 PM
Am I reading this right? "the league distributed a DVD to officials of him (Carver) on the sideline last week".

Was Carver the only coach on this DVD? Is this common? I didn't even know that our very own John Carver was such a problem child that he deserved his own DVD. If anything, the bloody league should be happy that he's taking the 'golden child' of a team up to the next level in his first year... first few games! draws crowds, raises excitement... blah blah blah....

I can understand not disrespecting officials and behaving yerself on the sidelines as a 'good example' for the kiddies but if refs cross the line, they too should have their very own DVD sent around to all the coaches.

... please ignore this rant if i've missed something somewhere but that is how i'm reading it.

Roogsy
05-18-2008, 12:53 PM
I am down with this.

Friggin MLS...pisses me off.

WE GOT YOUR BACK CARVER!!!

egoodwin
05-18-2008, 01:13 PM
How about this:

how about this is a supporters group, not a charitable association... really RPB should be about TFC and enhancing the experience at BMO, not building up a reputation as a charitable body to give some self gratification to donators...

If we raise $1,000 put it to good use by making banners that would support Carver and what he says...

No, I'm not anti-charity, I just think money raised from a supporter group should go towards the supporter group in funding road trips, tifos, etc...

Roogsy
05-18-2008, 01:33 PM
Besides...if you REALLY want to give to charity, go ahead! I give to charities all the time. It has nothing to do with my support of TFC.

My wish is to show Carver we support him and we think the MLS are acting like douchebags. However we do that...I am happy with.

Oldtimer
05-18-2008, 01:54 PM
I'd be down for this. Show Carver we're 100% behind him.

Cashcleaner
05-18-2008, 04:18 PM
Having infinitely more loyalty to my team and it's coach than to this league, I've got no problems shelling out a fiver to help pay for any future fine levied on Carver.

As I mentioned in another thread, maybe by helping subsidise his fines, it will encouarge him more to point out the terrible refereeing and player shinenigans that go on in MLS.

Would love to see him go after the Galaxy and the special treatment they get from Garber and Co.

egoodwin
05-18-2008, 04:55 PM
if he keeps going they could suspend him like they did Kreis

uncle p
05-18-2008, 05:11 PM
Are you all serious?!?!
Let the team pay for Carver's fine.
I back Carver and the team 100% but offering to pay his fine is crazy. If your all gung ho about donating to charity then fine lets choose one, but it should be a seperate issue from the fine. I'm sure there are other ways to show support for carver and, IMO our money is better spent on tifo's

ilikemusic
05-18-2008, 05:13 PM
what was he fined for?

Keeping it too fucking real.

Roogsy
05-18-2008, 05:14 PM
Uncle P...they are just trying to figure out a way to show Carver support. It's one idea. If you have a better one...put it forward. It's not about the team's or Carver's ability to pay the fine. Obviously they can. This is about figuring out a way to send Carver a message the supporters support him.

uncle p
05-18-2008, 05:16 PM
Apologies, i didnt want it to sound like i was shiting on the idea.....I just think the money would be better spent elsewhere. In terms of ideas, i'm sure a song or chant would show the proper support

jabbronies
05-18-2008, 06:10 PM
Apologies, In terms of ideas, i'm sure a song or chant would show the proper support

We can't chant as a group, remember??

Roogsy
05-18-2008, 06:11 PM
LOL!

We're fucked.

rocker
05-18-2008, 06:14 PM
unless Garber is in the stadium a chant won't mean anything.

now, if garber shows up to the All-star game I could see something being in order ;)

Dozitwin
05-18-2008, 06:21 PM
How about this:

There's the winning idea.

T_Mizz
05-18-2008, 06:54 PM
Yeah someone called my friend an MLS ref this weekend and a fight broke out, He's not even visually impaired. lol

Also I think this is good on many levels as we're showing our support for carver AND donating to charity, b/c some people need a reason and this is a damn good one, we'll match carver's fines for the year and donate it.

Finally, I'm actually shocked a rinky-dink league like MLS can afford to make DVDs like that. Are you sure they didn't mean Betamax? :)

uncle p
05-19-2008, 07:59 AM
We can't chant as a group, remember??

HA HA, good point.....maybe we can get multiple chants going in multiple sections (jokes)

a.ungaro
05-19-2008, 12:20 PM
are u guys fukin serious??? lett him deal with the fine and we will make a chant or banner or both for him..... what are we the Red Cross Boys

ManUtd4ever
05-19-2008, 12:26 PM
are u guys fukin serious??? lett him deal with the fine and we will make a chant or banner or both for him..... what are we the Red Cross Boys

lol, I have to agree...

Roogsy
05-19-2008, 12:28 PM

*sigh*...again...it's not about the money. Some here were just trying to come up with ideas to "show" him that he has our support. Even if the fine was $50, the point still stands.

James17930
05-19-2008, 12:29 PM
I like the idea of matching it and donating it to charity.

a.ungaro
05-19-2008, 12:33 PM
roogsy..... thats why i said make a chant or banner..... we are a supporter group lets support him the best way we know how.... lets get creative and do this right

shwade
05-19-2008, 12:41 PM
Because Carver and MLSE can't afford to pay the fine?
I love Carver and hope he keeps doing what hes doing but $1000 could be better spent.

Leafs 92/93
05-19-2008, 12:43 PM
sign me up

it's symbolic, and sends a message to the league.

Roogsy
05-19-2008, 12:47 PM
I agree...there are many ways of supporting. All I am saying is some people want to do A some people want to do B. If you don't want to do A, then do B...or even come up with a C. But it doesnt make A any less valid.

Besides...I think this idea was just talk anyways...I don't think we are actually going to do it. But it does put us in the right frame of mind.

And for those of us short on time...sometimes putting $2 forward is a lot easier for those that have difficult times putting aside 2 or 3 hours to help with a Tifo. I mean...how many people actually show up when the call goes out for Tifo help? I have to admit, I haven't shown up...yet.

Anyways...I liked the idea, even if it meant matching it for charity and telling Carver about it.

Red CB Toronto
05-19-2008, 02:06 PM
I really like the idea of us giving it to charity, I am sure John would appreciate it, I really like the style John brings to the field and would not want it any other way. Love what he said this weekend about maybe the MLS is not the right place for him because they want they want him to sit on the bench with his arms crossed and to be nice. That is just not the way he coaches, so lets all show our support.

Gobi
05-19-2008, 02:25 PM
I agree...there are many ways of supporting. All I am saying is some people want to do A some people want to do B. If you don't want to do A, then do B...or even come up with a C. But it doesnt make A any less valid.

QFT.

And I'm in. A whole buck shouldn't break anyone's bank and I think we could get 1000 supporters to donate.
It shows support for Carver and does some good for charity, so why are we arguing?

The Kingpin
05-19-2008, 04:00 PM
Maybe the $1000.00 could go towards supporting the club Carver manages. I believe the greatest retribution for the fine levied would be the supporters urging the club towards success. Not every fundraiser has to be for charity, some can actually go towards supporting TFC and helping fellow RPB's with Road Trips, Banners, Tifo's, Chant Coordination, etc etc etc... When these elements are as best as can be, then the remaining funds could go to a RPB sanctioned charity.

sully
05-19-2008, 05:37 PM
how about this: If Carver does get fined $1000 then we do the collection on the basis that Carver must choose the charity that it goes to..then we make the point..$1000 goes to a good cause..and we all look good......and and it's the principle that I think most people here will think is the key and by doing it this way we uphold our principles - to back our team and coach.

BBBulldog
05-19-2008, 05:52 PM
you can't pay MLS fines, Barra has offered to do it many times. Instead we've matched fine to charity of player's choice (that's if fine was earned in act of defending supporters or something like Esky spitting out red bull after goal). For example if Tino gets fined for sacking Kljestan (still can't believe that wasn't straight red, he even told ref he's gonna fuck him up for it) after he taunted us in LA few days ago that would be good cause :D

FluSH
05-19-2008, 05:57 PM
you can't pay MLS fines, Barra has offered to do it many times. Instead we've matched fine to charity of player's choice (that's if fine was earned in act of defending supporters or something like Esky spitting out red bull after goal). For example if Tino gets fined for sacking Kljestan (still can't believe that wasn't straight red, he even told ref he's gonna fuck him up for it) after he taunted us in LA few days ago that would be good cause :D

That's not bad... although in this case Carver's quote should be made into a Banner!!! That was hilarious

koryo
05-19-2008, 06:08 PM
you can't pay MLS fines, Barra has offered to do it many times. Instead we've matched fine to charity of player's choice (that's if fine was earned in act of defending supporters or something like Esky spitting out red bull after goal).

This approach has a lot of merit to it.

James Oliphant
05-19-2008, 06:10 PM
http://gotorontofc.com/jamey/carver_1000.jpg

werewolf
05-19-2008, 06:12 PM

:smilielol5: print that and send it to the league

alexintoronto
05-19-2008, 06:15 PM

That's awesome James. I'm stealing it FYI. I'm glad they put the bill back in circulation. Mulroney can go back into business now.

Barbarez
05-19-2008, 06:16 PM
How about you collect a thousand dollars for a tifo, flags, or some banners instead?

James Oliphant
05-19-2008, 06:18 PM
I've sized it down so we can put it in our signatures.

http://gotorontofc.com/jamey/carver_1000_small.jpg

TFC John
05-19-2008, 06:19 PM
I like the idea of donating to the CNIB. Here is how I envision this;

1) Get 3 - 4 of those big plastic water cooler jugs with the narrow necks.
2) Make 3 - 4 signs explaining we are collecting matching funds for Carver's fine to be donated to vision research.
3) At the top of the signs put a picture of a Ref in dark glasses with a white cane.
4) Leak it to our friends in the media that we are doing this
5) Set these up outside the gates of BMO Field on game day. Have a couple people there top explain what it is about.
6) Ask all fans (not just the supporters) to contribute a Loonie each.
7) Ask John Carver to come with us as the donation is made to the CNIB.

I think this would be successful because at $1 a piece most people would be willing to contribute. It would probably be newsworthy and hopefully embarrass the league. And, if John Carver actually comes to make the donation with us, it will demonstrate exactly how much we support him. Every dollar would represent a vote of confidence in him.

Don't forget that this franchise not only makes a ton of money for MLSE, it also makes money for the MLS in general. We are a cash cow in a league that loses money on most of its teams. We should have more influence on their decisions. If they want to do stupid things like send out a DVD of Carver, or fine him for speaking the truth, we have to do something to respond. Banners and chants are fun but most people ignore them. If we want to have an effect we have to get into the press and on TV. To do that you have to give them what they want. The media are only interested in 4 things; sex, violence, scandal or celebrity. Carver's comments provide the scandal and his presence at a donation would provide the celebrity. I don't see a sex or violence angle to this but if there is one it would guarantee coverage.

James Oliphant
05-19-2008, 06:22 PM
Or we could just do it and not involve the media.

werewolf
05-19-2008, 06:25 PM
hopefully everyone that donates to this, donated to the tifo from this past weekend.

James Oliphant
05-19-2008, 06:30 PM
This actually makes a nice segue to Wednesday's game against VW United...

http://gotorontofc.com/jamey/carver_divers.jpg

Sab0tage
05-19-2008, 06:34 PM

Besides...I think this idea was just talk anyways...I don't think we are actually going to do it. But it does put us in the right frame of mind.

And for those of us short on time...sometimes putting $2 forward is a lot easier for those that have difficult times putting aside 2 or 3 hours to help with a Tifo. I mean...how many people actually show up when the call goes out for Tifo help? I have to admit, I haven't shown up...yet.

Anyways...I liked the idea, even if it meant matching it for charity and telling Carver about it.

Good points. Just because some people don't agree with the idea doesn't mean other people can do it. It's $1, it's not that big of a deal to begin with.