PDA

View Full Version : TFC on TV: Where are the mics?

Shakes McQueen
08-24-2008, 08:53 PM
Anyone who has been to a Toronto FC game, knows how loud it can get at times.

With that in mind, why is it that NONE of that atmosphere translates on television. Watching the Rev's match last night, and knowing that there was a capo present to lead the songs/chants, I was struck by how quiet the atmosphere seemed on Sportsnet.

Is this due to the lack of a roof? Or is it due to poor microphone placement by a TV crews?

Occasionally I could even hear coaches, and random spectators clearly - it was really odd.

Any theories?

- Scott

sweetlemon69
08-24-2008, 08:59 PM
I think you nailed it right on, lack of microphones, or poor placement.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
08-24-2008, 09:02 PM
I think you nailed it right on, lack of microphones, or poor placement.

dont think thats it......i watch the game last night on FSC.....and the level of crowd noise was much more then RSN...or CBC!

I could really get the feeling and atmosphere on that channel

Shakes McQueen
08-24-2008, 09:02 PM
I'm also wondering if it might be because of the mix in the booth - perhaps they turn the match volume down, so that you can better hear Gerry and Craig.

- Scott

Shakes McQueen
08-24-2008, 09:03 PM
dont think thats it......i watch the game last night on FSC.....and the level of crowd noise was much more then RSN...or CBC!

I saw a YouTube video of the FSC feed from yesterday, and it DID sound better than Sportsnet. You are right.

Do they all use the same microphones for their broadcasts?

- Scott

rocker
08-24-2008, 09:09 PM
cbc does it best.. sportsnet is way behind

RPB_Brantford_08
08-24-2008, 09:27 PM

With that in mind, why is it that NONE of that atmosphere translates on television. Watching the Rev's match last night, and knowing that there was a capo present to lead the songs/chants, I was struck by how quiet the atmosphere seemed on Sportsnet.

Is this due to the lack of a roof? Or is it due to poor microphone placement by a TV crews?

Occasionally I could even hear coaches, and random spectators clearly - it was really odd.

Any theories?

- Scott

think its because of the rare;) swearing that happens,

Kickit09
08-24-2008, 09:28 PM
my guess is they put the mics as far away from the south end as possible due to the frequent obsenities that spew out of the south end.

boban
08-24-2008, 09:30 PM
I saw a YouTube video of the FSC feed from yesterday, and it DID sound better than Sportsnet.
Link please.

Shakes McQueen
08-24-2008, 09:33 PM
Link please.

You can find it in the "Capo" thread - second page I think.

- Scott

ginkster88
08-24-2008, 09:59 PM
Man... first time watching a Gerry broadcast. He was AWFUL. I must say, I may never watch again unless it's on CBC with Nigel Reid.

profit89
08-24-2008, 10:12 PM
RSN has terrible broadcasts.. GolTV is pretty bad too, the the crowd is almost entirely muted.

stugautz
08-24-2008, 10:20 PM
Sporstsnet has there crowd mics at the top of 223 right under the booth. Moving the mics to the south end would help out a lot with the crowd noise.

boban
08-25-2008, 10:40 AM
Sporstsnet has there crowd mics at the top of 223 right under the booth. Moving the mics to the south end would help out a lot with the crowd noise.
But that will only happen once all the fucks and cunts, assholes, are taken out of the cheering/chants.
But that won't happen since people think thats a God given right to have it in the chant. :rolleyes:

bee dubya
08-25-2008, 03:24 PM
I was extemely disappointed with the quality of Sportsnet's broadcast on the weekend. I know that it wasn't an HD broadcast but the picture looked like crap. I also agree with the OP that the broadcasts don't translate the sense of energy in the crowd in the same way that a typical EPL broadcast does. Yes, we're not as load as most grounds in the EPL but I think that we are certainly loud enough that it should come across on the broadcast.

FluSH
08-25-2008, 03:34 PM

Any theories?

- Scott

I said this myself... those mics are pointed to God Knows where?!?! I heard invididual conversations from fans... TRUE STORY

Carts
08-25-2008, 03:35 PM
They've stopped planting mics right infront of the bunker, and jacking the crowd music to minimize how much swearing comes through on TV...

Omni directional mics setup to grab the entire stadium (both game sounds and crowd) will produce a more distant or muffled sound of the chants - it comes through, you just can't here "f*ck" with perfection...

Anyone who PVR'd and watched the CBC broadcast of the Montreal/Toronto game at BMO heard how they were burned by a technical error. On the broadcast, the talent mics & vtr audio wasn't tracked - so you didn't hear it. But what you heard loud and clear for a good :10-:15 was "Tic-Tac-Tabernac who the f*cks the impact?!?". And was with the mics being at a distance...

In my opinion, there was far too many f-bombs and c-bombs making the air for the CRTC's liking on the broadcast - moving the mics and muffling the sound prevents that..

Carts...

TFC_123
08-25-2008, 03:52 PM
I've been fortunate enough to attend all but two TFC games ever at BMO. The two times I have watched at home were a dissapointment, in terms of hearing/feeling the crowd noise that I know is there. They should definitely do something about microphone placement; they must have professional sound technicians to do the homework on this sort of thing.

Anyway, for what it's worth, I took my fiance's cousin to the game on Saturday. He's Irish and a Glasgow Rangers season ticket holder. He was very impressed with the atmosphere and, believe it or not, even likened it to a Celtic vs. Rangers fixture! The only differences, according to him, was that he felt safer at BMO and the quality of football was less.

ben_vw
08-25-2008, 04:11 PM

Whenever I watch games streamed from Fox Soccer Channel, mainly involving the Galaxy, the Home Depot Centre always seems electric. I think they do it best.