PDA

View Full Version : Maurice Edu, man of the people

Kickit09
08-24-2008, 10:22 AM
Love him or hate him, he’ probably the first player to sit with the supporters during a game. He walked up between 114/115 and watched a bit of the first half from the top of the south end while signing autographs and talking with people, then left and came back again during the second half. he gained some major respect in my books for that. Did he make appearances in other parts of the stadium too?

Ossington Mental Youth
08-24-2008, 10:25 AM
Thats pretty dope and how it should be done.
Thats a good sign too, hopefully things work out for the man, he has an illustrious career and comes back home for a season or two before he finishes. Theres always something nice about a player closing their career with their first club.

Pinkie
08-24-2008, 10:26 AM
He's really not the first player to do that...last season we had a couple of player visits in various sections...
but still it was pretty neat of him to do that last nite..he even showed up in 111...

canadian_bhoy
08-24-2008, 10:27 AM
He was sitting in the West stand for the start of the match.

Wynne came to the south end last season when he was injured - He was at the top of 112/113 though so I didn't even find out about it till the next day.

JDG
08-24-2008, 10:55 AM
In was talked to Edu after the match, and he nothing but great things to say about the crowd. I thanked him for doing the walkabout, and asked him about what it was like from the stands vs on the pitch. He said that on the pitch you can REALLY hear us, but being in the thick of it was just - WOW.

Fort York Redcoat
08-24-2008, 11:07 AM
I gotta admit i had mixed feelings about this move. I'm glad we were able to show appreciation but I couldn't hellp think that he should be somewhere doing something. we were struggling to go level and then win it and Rangers drew with Aberdeen. Granted these player moves take time but it was a distraction. Too soon for me.

bhoybobby
08-24-2008, 11:12 AM
Playing for a shit team, serves the tit right, he did fuck all for us this year!!

Rudi
08-24-2008, 11:32 AM
Playing for a shit team, serves the tit right, he did fuck all for us this year!!
Gotta love the lack of bias among Celtic supporters :D

Smenge
08-24-2008, 11:49 AM
Edu's leaving only ensures that the team finishes last again, and that MO will be giving us another one of his on-pitch speeches, about how much better the team will be next year....for fucks sake, he is an asshole. It is one thing to support a guy in his desire to move to a better league, it is another to actively promote this without doing anything meaningful to improve the club.....I wonder if MO offered Edu a chance to rewrite his contract with TFC, that he may have stayed another year or two.....this sucks....surrounded by better players will reveal just how good Edu is....instead, we have a last place club, again.

BigD
08-24-2008, 11:51 AM
Edu's leaving only ensures that the team finishes last again, and that MO will be giving us another one of his on-pitch speeches, about how much better the team will be next year....for fucks sake, he is an asshole. It is one thing to support a guy in his desire to move to a better league, it is another to actively promote this without doing anything meaningful to improve the club.....I wonder if MO offered Edu a chance to rewrite his contract with TFC, that he may have stayed another year or two.....this sucks....surrounded by better players will reveal just how good Edu is....instead, we have a last place club, again.

Why do you bother logging onto this forum?? I am convinced that you don't even like the team!

Brooker
08-24-2008, 11:55 AM
He said that on the pitch you can REALLY hear us, but being in the thick of it was just - WOW.

*insert grin ear to ear* :D

Smenge
08-24-2008, 11:56 AM
I was one of the first to buy season tickets, and have been a supporter, but now, after MO has thrown in the towel again this year, i am royally pissed off.....this is no way to treat the supporters, the team is barely good enough to compete in the USL, nothing MO has done makes any sense, or improves the club.

MrHawk
08-24-2008, 11:57 AM

Edu got into this obviously for the same reason everyone does. as a career to better himself.

We all know the problems with the league, if you think this is a problem, go look at the bs that goes on in Eastern Europe.

Think of how I felt when we lost Modric, Da Silva, Vukojevic, Corluka, Mikulic in the course of 1 year. Why? Cause they want to play in a league where they can better themselves and improve their talent. In some players, they leave for more money and nothing else.

MLS is no where near the quality of other leagues, and every team will have to accept that their top stars will move to Europe at one point or another.

S_D
08-24-2008, 12:00 PM

The team is already (arguably) better player wise, and definitely younger than in the beginning of the year. Not sure of Harmse taking a more offensive role as that is not his forte like last night, but he certainly ran his ass off and made a number of nice plays. My MOM for the first half.

If the Edu transfer gets us a couple of nice players for the allocation cash and the balance gets the stadium grass and a nice training field, that will be a pretty decent upgrade and give TFC the potential to sign players the quality (but hopefully not the injury history) of Huckerby.

It's all good in my books.

Smenge
08-24-2008, 12:05 PM
...agreed. But how does one explain why a team like New England is able to keep their core players for so long? Edu was not here a year, and is already gone. S. Joseph and Twellman remain with New England, and both are probably better than Edu, and both could have left for europe..you have to ask why a young team like TFC has so much trouble attracting and keeping players after just one year in operation? I still believe MO could have offered Edu a contract extension to keep him a little longer....i do not think MO has a clue how to build a team in mls.....what is the point of trading for high draft picks when it is clear these are the players that a) will be the most marketable for europe, and b) will demand the highest salaries?

Ossington Mental Youth
08-24-2008, 12:11 PM
Because they sign them up for 3 years and force them to stay. Twellman is supposedly really pissed, granted it was his fault, even then if they put an escape clause, what can you do? Its just good player management, a young player wants to go and has a great chance you let him. Youre hardly going to encourage other players to sign on if they think they will be mistreated. Itll be interesting to see if Joseph stays, i dont think he will if they show interest in europe as they have previously.

Ossington Mental Youth
08-24-2008, 12:12 PM
PS our team is not worse without Edu. He was great and gave his all but he was not a game changing player, hes still developing and can be that player.

Ossington Mental Youth
08-24-2008, 12:13 PM
we are still a developing league and as a result we are going to be selling players for a long while before we start to retain them

Beach_Red
08-24-2008, 12:16 PM
...you have to ask why a young team like TFC has so much trouble attracting and keeping players after just one year in operation?

Here you ask and answer at the same time - all you need to do is start thinking like an agent instead of like a player. Do you really think Edu's agent would allow him to remain in the MLS if a European team came calling? Where's the upside? How does that make business sense? You think Mo could really offer enough more money to make up for remaining in North Americsa instead of going to Europe? The window of opportunity for athletes closes quickly.

It really looks like Mo does know how to build a team in the MLS - this is why he was brought here instead of some guy who knew nothing about the MLS and how its weird rules work.

The thing is, you don't want an MLS team - okay, fair enough, I can't watch crappy European hockey, either.

MisterMacphisto
08-24-2008, 12:18 PM
Towards the end of the game, Edu was hanging out at the front of NEE, chatted and signed autographs.

After the game, he came out at the main gate too and chatted and signed.

Smenge
08-24-2008, 12:33 PM
.....okay, i relent, i give up,but why on earth was MO actively marketing EDU to the Rangers back in early June, at the same time he was telling the toronto media that he had big plans for the transfer window..again, it is always MO telling us he has big plans..but in the end, we lose a player, we get a player, and none have really done much to improve the overall quality of this club....as much as we enjoy watching them at BMO, they are clearly the worst road club in the league, and have a brutal time just getting a shot on goal, let alone a win..and when they do win, it is not because they outplayed the opponent...like what we saw in colorado.....so i am pissed.....it is late august, and the team is still combating the same issues they had last august......players that were supposed to make a difference: tebilly, robert, samuel, and the others that he traded away, too many to mention, demonstrate to me that MO has no idea what he is doing.

Ossington Mental Youth
08-24-2008, 12:38 PM
Dude, its not fact that he was 'selling' the concept of Edu to Rangers.
He has made trades and has signed players, some worked out some didnt.
This is now starting to drag into the same conversation having in the other thread (and other treads)

Smenge
08-24-2008, 01:19 PM
....fine....the web sites linked to the Rangers, including some UK newspapers, indicated MO was behind the move, and began consultations with the spl club in May....something about him wanting to do this asap in order to get more allocation money......still, it is a fucking shame that edu left so soon..i suppose we can expect the same next season if we get obrien white.

Ossington Mental Youth
08-24-2008, 01:24 PM
it is a shame but its something thatll be happening for a while, shit, take a look at Arsenal right?

If Mo did shop him out thats a bit sad and wrong but im sure noone was holding a gun to Edus head, to be honest its a bit suspect, soccer news in the UK is notoriously shady, i wouldnt right off White so soon, hes a local boy so he might be here for a bit, especially as im sure that the USSF is big on making sure its young players get overseas whereas CSA doesnt care. Dude openly said he was finishing Uni because he'd be the first to do so in his family, as a result id imagine his family is tight and hed be happy here for a bit. Id watch Ibee tho, honestly if he develops and grows to be the player he looks he can be, he'll be gone in 2-3 years

billygrieveuk
08-24-2008, 03:07 PM
WE ARE THE PEOPLE!

billygrieveuk
08-24-2008, 03:11 PM
Why do you bother logging onto this forum?? I am convinced that you don't even like the team!
people move on, this happens in football.

and if you think a young guy like Edu didn't have dreams playing in europe, for a big club like rangers, when growing up, yer crazy. he is up for the next challenge in his career.

anyone is replacable, good luck at rangers Edu.

ensco
08-24-2008, 03:50 PM
Mo's not due in Glasgow until midweek....

http://www.rangers.premiumtv.co.uk/page/News/NewsDetail/0,,5~1374031,00.html

rocker
08-24-2008, 04:40 PM
doubt if he would play, but that Celtic/Rangers game is on Setanta next sat if you have a subscription.
i will be following mo to see what happens. it makes watching those games more interesting, to say the least, when a player from Toronto players there.

egoodwin
08-24-2008, 08:56 PM
he swung around 127 as well lastnight, signed my flag too and a bunch of other stuff for NEE members

Fort York Redcoat
08-25-2008, 12:02 PM
....fine....the web sites linked to the Rangers, including some UK newspapers, indicated MO was behind the move, and began consultations with the spl club in May....something about him wanting to do this asap in order to get more allocation money......still, it is a fucking shame that edu left so soon..i suppose we can expect the same next season if we get obrien white.

Technically if the same was done to White he would leave in 2010...Giving us a great first season and then leaving with serious payout to quality ratio-fine with me. I don't mine being a selling club while we're building. It all can't come at once. I never expected a US international darling to stay on a Canadian team.

JDG
08-25-2008, 12:05 PM
Mo has updated his Facebook message to:

"Maurice 'Mo' Edu (http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=5718904) loves Toronto and the TFC fans n will miss it here."

Sonny Cheeba
08-25-2008, 12:08 PM
doubt if he would play, but that Celtic/Rangers game is on Setanta next sat if you have a subscription.
i will be following mo to see what happens. it makes watching those games more interesting, to say the least, when a player from Toronto players there.

you need a player to be bought from TOronto to find an Old Firm derby interesting?

Derko
08-25-2008, 01:11 PM

True, Edu was having the sophomore curse,but good on him to be in the crowd, he was in Section 110 during the 2nd half.

bhoybobby, that was all you could come up with, I thought you would be a little more astute in your assesment of Edu's play.

as·tute:
(adjective)
having or showing a clever or shrewd mind; cunning; crafty; wily

KrazyKanadian
08-25-2008, 03:11 PM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3147/2792355243_484540da43.jpg