PDA

View Full Version : Carver

James17930
08-24-2008, 01:43 AM
My God, does this man have passion for this club.

When Ricketts missed that glorious chance at the open near post in the 2nd half, they showed a shot of Carver on the TV feed . . . he was doubled over, his hands on his knees, as if he was going to throw-up from the excitement/anxiety/disappointment of the moment.

Yes, some of us have made criticisms of some of his decisions so far, but I know when I have I have always backed those up by stating that they are small things, or else things that he's maybe still learning, and overall he's a fantastic coach and what he brings to the club is priceless.

And this just shows how much of a stake he's put into the club and the players already (we all knew this before, I know, but I think it bears repeating).

So -- let's hope he's around for a while.

Shakes McQueen
08-24-2008, 01:46 AM
It's hist first year coaching the team, and the team itself has changed dramatically again over the course of this season. You'll have to give him time. Same as Mo.

But I agree, the guy has a lot of passion for this club. I hope he sticks around.

- Scott

James17930
08-24-2008, 01:52 AM
His tactical changes tonight were excellent: going to a 3-5-2 because he was concerned about NE's strong midfield and he knew he needed to contain them and sticking RR up top. We could have easily won if not for some bad luck.

Cashcleaner
08-24-2008, 03:32 AM
It's hist first year coaching the team, and the team itself has changed dramatically again over the course of this season. You'll have to give him time. Same as Mo.

But I agree, the guy has a lot of passion for this club. I hope he sticks around.

- Scott

I think he really likes Toronto, but doesn't have the same respect for the league (which is understandable). Carver had made multiple threats in the past to pack it all up and head back to the UK. I don't know how long we can keep him here in Toronto if he's constantly at odds with MLS and the TFC management.

James Oliphant
08-24-2008, 06:11 AM
His tactical changes tonight were excellent: going to a 3-5-2 because he was concerned about NE's strong midfield and he knew he needed to contain them and sticking RR up top. We could have easily won if not for some bad luck.

Rohan up top wasn't the best idea if you ask me...we would have been better served having Rohan on the right flank, dropping Wynne to RCB and leaving James on the bench.

I know it wasn't all bad from Rohan (just the finishing), but if we wanted to win, why didn't we have Ibee, Johann or Danny up top with Barrett? Carver knows Ricketts is a playmaker, not a striker, so why try to wedge him into a position he's clearly not comfortable with? Leave him on the wing where he can create space and chances for the proper forwards.

T_Mizz
08-24-2008, 08:42 AM
I've said this before but you can tell he belongs at this club because when I'm at BMO I'll look around me at all the "armchair managers" and their facial expression is the same as Carver he is just one of us, it seems. He is a true supporter of TFC the only difference is he can do something about the results we can't. He is always the happiest when we score and the most disappointed when we lose and he is a master of the soundbite. I think it was Werewolf who has a quote from Carver about Barros Scrotum-otto's divind show. "It's like the wind ws too strong for him" I fell outta my chair when I saw that.

Keep up the good work, and hopefully you can enstill some of that passion into your players and wins will come.

Beach_Red
08-24-2008, 09:23 AM
I think he really likes Toronto, but doesn't have the same respect for the league (which is understandable). Carver had made multiple threats in the past to pack it all up and head back to the UK. I don't know how long we can keep him here in Toronto if he's constantly at odds with MLS and the TFC management.

Yes, I think is true, and I think it's a good thing he's vocal about it. MLS is really at a turning point now - the new owners/teams coming into the league and the new stadiums being built has the potential push it to another level. We'll see how the old guard reacts to the new challenges.

It's a big risk for guys to sign on with an expansion team in a league that's far from established.

Pachuco
08-24-2008, 09:33 AM
Sorry, passion isn't all it takes to be a good coach. I'll give him that, he has passion.

T_Mizz
08-24-2008, 09:37 AM
Passion is a lot of it though because with passion comes things like work ethic

Smenge
08-24-2008, 09:39 AM
Carver's neck veins are close to bursting...i agree with the last post....instead of going berserk, he should be making clever strategic decisions on the pitch, like having his team defend once in a while when the game is almost over......the real test for carver will be when his days at tfc are over, will another mls team sign him? I doubt it.

T_Mizz
08-24-2008, 09:44 AM
Yeah because he'll be going to the Premiership

giambac
08-24-2008, 10:23 AM
Passion is a lot of it though because with passion comes things like work ethic

Why then is TFC's work ethic so pathetic?

They often paly games with no emotion, no desire, no aggrressiveness....especially on the road.....

Beach_Red
08-24-2008, 10:40 AM

They often paly games with no emotion, no desire, no aggrressiveness....especially on the road.....

Maybe it's because the team is still being assembled, still developing its character. I liked Robert but it was a good sign when he was let go.

It would have been nice to have a full roster set from the beginning of the season and in the next couple of years we will have that. On the other hand, I'm glad we didn't just put up with guys who were not performing for the sake of cohesion.

How the team does for the final ten games of this season is a good test of its character, a good way to see where its headed. So, they tied one of the top teams in the league (that's been at the top for years) in a game they could have won, it's not a disaster.

I wish they could keep the same roster for all nine remaining games but as we see there are still going to be international call-ups to screw that up.

CenturySam
08-24-2008, 10:54 AM
Rohan up top wasn't the best idea if you ask me...we would have been better served having Rohan on the right flank, dropping Wynne to RCB and leaving James on the bench.

I know it wasn't all bad from Rohan (just the finishing), but if we wanted to win, why didn't we have Ibee, Johann or Danny up top with Barrett? Carver knows Ricketts is a playmaker, not a striker, so why try to wedge him into a position he's clearly not comfortable with? Leave him on the wing where he can create space and chances for the proper forwards.

thats what i thought also. i had to take a second look when i saw Ricketts up front. i was like 'what the...' and then i look down and see Johann and Dichio warming up for the whole game, and Barrett cramped up again. we should have started with Johann and Barrett up front, and then sub in Dichio for Barrett around 75 or 80 min.

CenturySam
08-24-2008, 10:56 AM
but yeah, i hope Carver is here for at least 2 1/2 seasons. if we are at the same level mid way through the 2010 season, then will be the time for change.

I too enjoy his passion for our team.

deeznutz
08-24-2008, 10:57 AM
He put's 120% in the team each and every day!!! I love the man!

bhoybobby
08-24-2008, 11:10 AM
He's a good coach, but, with the likes of RR, he'll end up carrying the can.

Hope I'm wrong. I see him as real +. Too bad he's stuck with that wee shit head Mo.

Cashcleaner
08-24-2008, 11:46 AM

And you'll note that players who have developed a reputation of playing with no emotion or aggression are often quickly sent packing.