PDA

View Full Version : Tonight's 4th Official Was . . .

James17930
08-24-2008, 01:33 AM
. . . Carol-Anne Chenard. Did everyone notice that?

I think this is a great story. She gives an excellent performance in the NCC game which impresses everybody, and MLS notices and hires her.

So while Garber always defends the refs and says they're no worse than in any other league, you can see that they are making efforts to find and hire other quality officials wherever they can.

I wonder when she'll actually helm a game.

Or -- do I have this all wrong? Could she have been the fourth official maybe just for this game (like being supplied by the CSA or something?) Does anyone know if she's going to helm any games in the league?

Oldtimer
08-24-2008, 06:05 AM
Don't give MLS the credit for this one.
The refs for the games are hired by US Soccer and... the CSA.
So as much as it chokes me to say anything positive about the CSA, good on them for hiring her.

. . . Carol-Anne Chenard. Did everyone notice that?

I think this is a great story. She gives an excellent performance in the NCC game which impresses everybody, and MLS notices and hires her.

So while Garber always defends the refs and says they're no worse than in any other league, you can see that they are making efforts to find and hire other quality officials wherever they can.

I wonder when she'll actually helm a game.

Or -- do I have this all wrong? Could she have been the fourth official maybe just for this game (like being supplied by the CSA or something?) Does anyone know if she's going to helm any games in the league?

James Oliphant
08-24-2008, 06:13 AM
What Oldtimer said....

Though I do agree that Chenard was probably the best official I've seen this year.

BritSOL
08-24-2008, 06:43 AM
Wasn't she the 4th official a few games ago, or was that a different woman?

SilverSamurai
08-24-2008, 09:19 AM
Wasn't she the 4th official a few games ago, or was that a different woman?
I think it was the same lady...

Ossington Mental Youth
08-24-2008, 09:22 AM
What Oldtimer said....

Though I do agree that Chenard was probably the best official I've seen this year.

absolutely, christ they need to model more refs off her

Pinkie
08-24-2008, 09:23 AM
Thats actually pretty neat!
I love how she doesn't take crap from anyone...(well except that one game where robert laid that french charm on her and got her to smile...)

RPB_Brantford_08
08-24-2008, 02:12 PM
not to get into too much controversey,but women officals belong in womens league games not mens.

Beach_Red
08-24-2008, 02:13 PM
not to get into too much controversey,but women officals belong in womens league games not mens.

This league can't afford to be choosy when it comes to refs.

flatpicker
08-24-2008, 02:14 PM

not sure why you would think that???

what difference would it make on their ability to call a good game?

canadaneedsmusic
08-24-2008, 02:15 PM

I disagree, I think the best refs should be refing no matter what gender. That said, I do think that atleast one, maybe two of the officials (be it linesmen, 4th official) should be male, only for the event where players become physical.

Rhapido
08-24-2008, 08:30 PM
I'm going to hijack this thread and give props to the other woman that did a great job on the sidelines last night...Sportsnet's Andi Petrillo!!! Damn, is she ever cute.

nfitz
08-25-2008, 12:45 AM
not to get into too much controversey,but women officals belong in womens league games not mens.Way too much controversy. That's as bigoted as suggesting that the black officials belong in a black league. If the best ref for the job is a female, then so be it.

Heck, if the best striker be female, so be it.

Cashcleaner
08-25-2008, 12:53 AM

Do you care to elaborate on that? Or are you simply being controversial for the sake of controversy?

I_AM_CANADIAN
08-25-2008, 01:34 AM
Do you care to elaborate on that? Or are you simply being controversial for the sake of controversy?
No, he also has something against women playing football in general, as we found out during the Olympics. :rolleyes:

AL-MO
08-25-2008, 06:41 PM

Sorry Brantford, that is an infraction.

Comments like the above are not welcome on this board.

SilverSamurai
08-25-2008, 06:45 PM
I disagree, I think the best refs should be refing no matter what gender. That said, I do think that atleast one, maybe two of the officials (be it linesmen, 4th official) should be male, only for the event where players become physical.

I'd have to agree with this. 1 or 2 should be men just incase the players get rowdy.
The same during a women's game. 1 or 2 should be women.
Best person for the job I say.

Just wondering though, what does the 4th official say?
Do they ever get asked about their view regarding a call or something? I've only ever seen them tell the coach to calm down and hold up the call # for subs and extra time.

James17930
08-25-2008, 08:43 PM
I'd have to agree with this. 1 or 2 should be men just incase the players get rowdy.
The same during a women's game. 1 or 2 should be women.
Best person for the job I say.

Just wondering though, what does the 4th official say?
Do they ever get asked about their view regarding a call or something? I've only ever seen them tell the coach to calm down and hold up the call # for subs and extra time.

Well, the main reason they're there is in case on of the first three officials gets injured -- then they step in and take that person's place.

Otherwise they communicate with the ref regarding substitutions and yeah, speak to the coaches about stuff.

SilverSamurai
08-25-2008, 09:05 PM
Well, the main reason they're there is in case on of the first three officials gets injured -- then they step in and take that person's place.

Otherwise they communicate with the ref regarding substitutions and yeah, speak to the coaches about stuff.
Okie dokie.
Should use them as another possible angle for controversial calls...
But like replays, that would make sense!
Thanks!

Don Julio
08-25-2008, 09:07 PM
I think the players tend to act less like idiots whilst protesting when there is a female referee.