PDA

View Full Version : I met Velez and Guevara!!!

SilverSamurai
08-23-2008, 11:59 PM
This is my 5mins of fame. lol
After the game and when I was waiting for the street car to get to the bus station who was it that was waiting in line: Guevara and Velez!
Got to talk to them for a few mins. Pretty much just said good game and thanks for coming to TO and shook their hands. I didn't want to appear like a crazy creeper.
But since the line wasn't moving I talked to them a little bit more. Pretty much talked about the subway transfer (how it works) and then I asked Guevara about Ruiz. He said wasn't as the game today but that he's supposed to be here Sunday.
Then Guevara asked me if it was always that packed during the time of the CNE. Told him ya and that I was worried about not getting back to the bus station in time. He said not to worry and joke about telling the driver to go fast.
He then started joking w/ Velez about where to go eat (Velez seems to like Chinese food a lot) and Guevara joked how they should have some tequilas and red bulls. lol
Anyways the point of this lil story is that I'm an idiot for not having a pen and camera to take a pic and for them to sign my kit. D'oh!
Guevara was tapping a lil kid on the shoulder who had no idea who was doing it. I think he thought it was me. lol

Ok, my story is done. :canada:

MrHawk
08-24-2008, 12:00 AM
I shook Edu's hand.........nice guy.

Global_Warning
08-24-2008, 12:02 AM
haha I knew I saw Velez waiting for the streetcar!

RYANTFC
08-24-2008, 12:02 AM
lool, thats a great story lol, unlucky for now havin a pen and camera though. You should of asked them where they were goin out for the night?

Fernandinho
08-24-2008, 12:07 AM
it was around 5pm, I was heading towards the doors of the direct energy building and coming towards me were John Carver and Paul Winsper...and as I was heading towards the food building around 5:30 I see Ibrahim cross in front of me walking towards the stadium...I was so surprised to see them I didnt even have time to say anything

SilverSamurai
08-24-2008, 12:15 AM
haha I knew I saw Velez waiting for the streetcar!
Going to Union at around 10:40ish eh?
Some people asked them for an autograph but for the most part they blended in.

lool, thats a great story lol, unlucky for now havin a pen and camera though. You should of asked them where they were goin out for the night?
Ya I'm so unlucky :( I'm gonna buy a new cam asap!
Velez's gf (maybe wifey?) mentioned Jack Astors and that's when Guevara said they should have some tequilas and red bulls. lol
She was wearing the pink kit too.
I actually talked to them in Spanish the whole time and was worried I'd say something wrong!
Yay me!

I also saw Edu come up to 111 but I was too far to say anything too him.
He seems like a classy guy. He didn't have to come back to BMO, he could've just left and packed up for Scotland. In the words of Forrest "World Class" ;)

ensco
08-24-2008, 07:25 AM
Wow what a great story.

How many times in the last 10 years do you think any member of the Leafs, Raptors or Jays has taken the TTC to get to where they're going after a game?

I bet it's zero.

Waggy
08-24-2008, 07:30 AM
Matt Bonner, Shaun Marcum, Dustin McGowan, JP Richardi, John Fergoson JR. But ya, still a good point

ginkster88
08-24-2008, 07:34 AM
Wow what a great story.

How many times in the last 10 years do you think any member of the Leafs, Raptors or Jays has taken the TTC to get to where they're going after a game?

I bet it's zero.

It's at least one. How could you forget Matt "Red Rocket" Bonner?

From Wikipedia:

"Matt received the nickname "Red Rocket" during the same season due to the fact that he has red hair and was constantly sighted on the public transit in Toronto, the TTC (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toronto_Transit_Commission), whose streetcars (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Streetcar) are red and slogan is 'Ride the Rocket'."

:) Loved this guy, sorry to see him go.

Nodoubtguy
08-24-2008, 07:35 AM
Maurice Edu just walking through the stands....
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3009/2792599212_70b2ba755a.jpg?v=0

ginkster88
08-24-2008, 07:36 AM
Oops... a little late!

ensco
08-24-2008, 07:48 AM
It's at least one. How could you forget Matt "Red Rocket" Bonner?

From Wikipedia:

"Matt received the nickname "Red Rocket" during the same season due to the fact that he has red hair and was constantly sighted on the public transit in Toronto, the TTC (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toronto_Transit_Commission), whose streetcars (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Streetcar) are red and slogan is 'Ride the Rocket'."

:) Loved this guy, sorry to see him go.

I stand corrected!!

ginkster88
08-24-2008, 08:00 AM
But you do have a point. I think the difference is the financial disparity between TFC players and their counterparts in the NHL, NBA and MLB. The lowest paid player on any of the Jays, Leafs or Raptors is making close to three times as much as the highest paid on TFC. I remember reading an article around when Beckham came... he is making $6.7 million and his locker is beside a guy who makes $43k. That's an extreme example, but I think you understand my point. MLS players are for the most part well-paid and can live comfortably, but it's not life-changing money when you factor in the brevity of their careers.