PDA

View Full Version : 2:30, and Other Carver-esque Subs

poppamidnight
08-23-2008, 08:41 PM
I thought of putting this in the game-day thread, then realized he does this every game...

...so would somebody please explain to me what good a 88 min sub does for us????

It seems to be a carver trademark...
...don't get me wrong, like many of you I hated the Cunningham effort, but now i realize what Cunny meant when he said that he didnt get a fair shake of it with us...
.... You really don't have much to show when you only get 2-4 mins to do so...
...hell your lucky to get a touch....

So I ask again,
what good does it do for us bringing in OUR PREVIOUS GAMES BEST PLAYER so late in the game???
...especially when we had 3 CLEARLY GASSED guys at the 70 min mark (Ricketts, Guevara, Brennan) that couldhve been taken off with 20 mins to go???

anyone take any coaching courses recently?
...i was under the assumption that "coaching 101" teaches when your player + defensive players are done for energy it is beneficial to make your subs ASAP to allow those fresh legs to get in:confused:

(and you wonder why people think TFC fans bitch too much.....common sense stuff being screwed up)

EDIT: admins, can you move to the TFC forum.... sorry, my F-up...

rocker
08-23-2008, 10:47 PM
I thought of putting this in the game-day thread, then realized he does this every game...

...so would somebody please explain to me what good a 88 min sub does for us????

trademark? he rarely does that.
go through all the game reports from the season (uhh, I just did) and you won't see any particular sub pattern.

subs come on for many different reasons, you'd have to ask him.

Ossington Mental Youth
08-24-2008, 03:12 AM
Teams are tired as shit at that point and to put a man on with hunger and speed will catch em off guard. Its hardly a bad move to make seeing as you cant carry those subs over... Whats teh worst that can happen? A tired player comes off and a player that can possibly do damage to the opposition comes on?

Cashcleaner
08-24-2008, 03:22 AM
I don't think he subs in late as much as you think he does. The late substitutions he did to put Cunningham into the match a while back were completely intentional, BTW.

sweetlemon69
08-24-2008, 07:12 AM
A lot of clubs do this actually. They bring guys on to slowly get them back into game fitness. Barcelona did it with Ronnie when he was trying to get back into fitness in February.

There's a difference between being gassed and mentally not putting so much energy into it.

ensco
08-24-2008, 07:31 AM
I think Carver was bringing Ibbe on (I think for Ricketts, but who knows?) just before Barrett scored. Then he decided to wait after the goal - see if the guys on the field could keep the momentum up. It almost worked.

I too was surprised that Guevara didn't come out. He looked really spent.

sidvan
08-24-2008, 08:14 AM
I thnk Carver had Ibbe up ready to go in as a motivator for the guys on the field. It was still early in the second half (50th minute) the first time and then sat him down as soon as the play semed to move more offensively.

poppamidnight
08-24-2008, 08:42 AM
you guys are missing the whole point....

around the 65 minute mark you could see Guevara, Ricketts, Jimmy B, and Chad were all gassed.....
....like completely gassed....

...it has nothing to do with the subs, who they are, sending the "message" to them...

...it's the fact its so obvious that the legs are gone, and the timeframe in which you can maximize your advantage with fresh legs

PS - Sweetlemon69: Johann got more time last game, his legs didnt give out... and again, he was our best player in those 45 mins last game

sidvan
08-24-2008, 08:58 AM
Ibbe up was a motivator - Harmse subbed out and Ricketts subbed out were overdue, and I don't think they could afford to sub out Guevera even at 3/4 speed

Pachuco
08-24-2008, 09:29 AM

...don't get me wrong, like many of you I hated the Cunningham effort, but now i realize what Cunny meant when he said that he didnt get a fair shake of it with us...
.... You really don't have much to show when you only get 2-4 mins to do so...
...hell your lucky to get a touch....

So I ask again,
what good does it do for us bringing in OUR PREVIOUS GAMES BEST PLAYER so late in the game???
...especially when we had 3 CLEARLY GASSED guys at the 70 min mark (Ricketts, Guevara, Brennan) that couldhve been taken off with 20 mins to go???

anyone take any coaching courses recently?
...i was under the assumption that "coaching 101" teaches when your player + defensive players are done for energy it is beneficial to make your subs ASAP to allow those fresh legs to get in:confused:

(and you wonder why people think TFC fans bitch too much.....common sense stuff being screwed up)

EDIT: admins, can you move to the TFC forum.... sorry, my F-up...

I couldn't agree with you more. And everyone in our section was pretty pissed when Carver decides to finally make an impact sub in the 88th minute. WTF? is he playing for a tie? the only freeking reason you sub that late in the game is to waste time.

T_Mizz
08-24-2008, 09:32 AM
Usually this is done when you're winning and trying to waste time because they get the player to walk slowly off the field and get subbed it wastes precious time and stops momentum

brad
08-24-2008, 09:36 AM
The ref is supposed to add an additional 30 seconds of stoppage time for the substitution, so that may have played a part as well.

Wooster_TFC
08-24-2008, 09:41 AM
I couldn't agree with you more. And everyone in our section was pretty pissed when Carver decides to finally make an impact sub in the 88th minute. WTF? is he playing for a tie? the only freeking reason you sub that late in the game is to waste time.

Did you not noticed that on every break Velez was stretching his legs out looking like he was cramping up? Same goes for a couple of other players on the team.

During a hot, extremely humid day/game, you do NOT use up all three of your subs before the end of the game. I hate to say it, but I think for the formation, his subs were fairly decent, although I would have like to see Johann Smith come in when Ibee did. I rejoiced at the Harmse sub, since the last 6-7 possessions that came his way, he passed the ball directly to a Rev player. He had a great first half IMO, but was completely gassed starting the second half and was basically a black hole of turnovers at the start of the half.