PDA

View Full Version : Capo

Rudi
08-23-2008, 01:42 PM
We will have a capo in front of 113/112 tonight. It will be Zac from U-Sector.

I'm looking to try to ensure that he knows some of the more popular RPB chants in addition to the others that he knows. This is just a trial run, so there may be kinks.

Either way, if things go reasonably well, this will become a more permanent fixture.

canadian_bhoy
08-23-2008, 02:24 PM
Hopefully people don't throw things at him

UltraSuperMegaMo
08-23-2008, 02:24 PM
Do other soccer / football teams do this? The podium sounds reminiscent of things I’ve at US College Football games.

ginkster88
08-23-2008, 02:30 PM
It is quite popular in Europe.

OooooTFC!
08-23-2008, 02:51 PM
Do other soccer / football teams do this? The podium sounds reminiscent of things I’ve at US College Football games.

Chicago?

loconet
08-23-2008, 02:56 PM

Very widely used

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeY575iliJw

denime
08-23-2008, 03:00 PM

I'm looking to try to ensure that he knows some of the more popular RPB chants in addition to the others that he knows. This is just a trial run, so there may be kinks.

Either way, if things go reasonably well, this will become a more permanent fixture.

All I can say is GO FOR IT,and and even if it doesn't work tonight don't give up.Let's work together FGS.

BTW can you keep the chants a bit longer that 30 sec. so we in 115-118 eventually can pick it up and chant/ sing with you.

ALL FOR ONE !!! :canada:

ginkster88
08-23-2008, 03:01 PM
^^

Great call. Keep the chants alive, eventually everyone catches on.

denime
08-23-2008, 03:07 PM
Capo's everywhere and for some reason everybody is JUMPING too.Silly people,jumping during the game.:noidea:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2QBk2LE-mbI&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2QBk2LE-mbI&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/GzxXIxDVXWY&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/GzxXIxDVXWY&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

:eek:

FluSH
08-23-2008, 03:07 PM
Goodluck guys... I'll be watching at home unfortunately, but I'm sure Zac will do a good job.

CretanBull
08-23-2008, 03:14 PM
Capo's everywhere and for some reason everybody is JUMPING too.Silly people,jumping during the game.:noidea:

What do Europeans know about football anyway?

yellowfellow
08-23-2008, 03:24 PM
agree. keep the chants longer, ppl will pick them up.

btw, capo is only the lead. EVERYONE needs to sing along

denime
08-23-2008, 03:30 PM
agree. keep the chants longer, ppl will pick them up.

btw, capo is only the lead. EVERYONE needs to sing along

True and :iagree:

FluSH
08-23-2008, 03:30 PM
Just checked their boards... and I must say Good Job to Usector for working with TFC FO and making this happen. These are the sort of things that help supporter atmosphere and should be at the forefront of our goals.

Now I know who to go for Grass, Roof, and the removal of scalper seats in the South End! =)

flatpicker
08-23-2008, 03:34 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing how this goes!

FluSH
08-23-2008, 03:36 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing how this goes!

If someone can take pictures I would greatly appreciate it... according to what Rudi wrote on Usec, TFC has made a makeshift stand? I'm wondering how sturdy it is...

denime
08-23-2008, 04:37 PM
I think that right now the most important thing is to get the message out to all RBP ,to support this whole project.Can someone contact Jack or Shoeless Joe and let them know?
It is kind of short notice from Rudi but it is a good news and I think,no I know it is move to the right direction.
Guys even if you don't like it,don't kill it right away.

Can't wait to see it.

gtaguy
08-23-2008, 04:56 PM
All I can say is GO FOR IT,and and even if it doesn't work tonight don't give up.Let's work together FGS.

BTW can you keep the chants a bit longer that 30 sec. so we in 115-118 eventually can pick it up and chant/ sing with you.

ALL FOR ONE !!! :canada:

I agree .. it would be nice for the 200 section to finally catch on after hearing your guys the first 10 or 15 seconds.. Unfortunately the supporter section stops chanting far to quick for the rest of the stadium to catch on... if you guys start we will follow ..

denime
08-23-2008, 09:17 PM
Ok,Just came back from BMO and all I can say is YOU WHERE FUC*^NG GREAT.
I was in 115 and 111-113 sounded like one,very loud and proud.Zac did great job just the way is suppose to be.
Rudi thanks for getting this Capo thing organized,it can only get better from now on.
Next thing is to work on chants to go a bit longer.

The Oz
08-23-2008, 09:20 PM
Would someone mind telling me how this went? I was at home.

EDIT: posted right before me lol. That's great to hear, hopefully it can happen more often now

Nodoubtguy
08-23-2008, 09:27 PM
from 115.....It looked and sounded amazing. I think if we get people used to this for a few games it'll be great.

adampz
08-23-2008, 09:54 PM
I cant wait to see photos

Bloor West FC
08-23-2008, 10:05 PM
U-Sector and especially Zac Thank You very Much!!!!!! It was a better atmosphere with your added help. Almost the intensity of the Canada game on Wednesday!! But seriously we need that!!

And if I can ask you one question it is to face 111 a little more so we can hear some of the new chants!

Thanks again!!
BWV

ginkster88
08-23-2008, 10:05 PM
Damn. I had my wisdom teeth out yesterday and took my meds about a half hour before kickoff. I waited all day for the match after seeing Spurs let me down this morning. I was pretty excited to hear a more unified South end on the broadcast and let you know what I thought... but I fell asleep at around the 15th minute and woke up well past full time. Poor form on my part. Glad to hear that this worked though!

Corcai
08-23-2008, 10:10 PM
I was in 112 today and it worked great, Zac did an awesome job of picking up on chants starting in the different sections and going with them. Hats off for a great effort.

It was at times sort of hard to hear him, but he did a good job of demonstrating exactly what chant we were trying to due.

I think next match having him as Capo and having Flush coordinate to make sure the chant doesn't die down would be awesome.

Capo/Flush coordination for 112/111/110 would be amazing.

Ageroo
08-23-2008, 10:13 PM
was in 115 next to denime....and it was awesome......heard it well and looked very organized.......now all we need to work on is getting it to carry down to all other sections in the south......

Angelo1405
08-23-2008, 10:21 PM
this is Awesome. truly a breakthrough, keep this going, wait till ppl get used to it;) really looking forward seeing some pics or.....VIDEO :eek:

nfitz
08-23-2008, 10:24 PM
Sounded great from 219 - louder than normal.

I have to give credit to the Revs travelling entourage as well in the NE corner. They were audible at times.

Chevy
08-23-2008, 10:26 PM
The Capo was pretty good, seemed to be a little more organized tonight.

One observation from 110/109 - the south end seems to be responding to his initial chant but not actually chanting with him. For example for the "Can you Hear New England sing" chant I think the south end was for the most part responding "no no" rather than chanting the whole thing. I couldn't hear the "can you hear...." part that well but I could tell the capo was shouting it into the phone.

Just my 2cents.

adampz
08-23-2008, 10:26 PM
Sounded great from 219 - louder than normal.

I have to give credit to the Revs travelling entourage as well in the NE corner. They were audible at times. Lets hope parkdale made a video

The Oz
08-23-2008, 10:29 PM
Calling Parkdale, We Need A Video :)!

Corcai
08-23-2008, 10:31 PM
Chevy,

I know what you mean, I think it's because 112 started to pick up on it rather than be in on the beginning. If Flush and Zac coordinated the start of it, it would have been louder. Great job as having everyone watch Zac, worked. Having Flush there means everyone would be coordinated quicker.

King Jeff
08-23-2008, 10:34 PM
And if I can ask you one question it is to face 111 a little more so we can hear some of the new chants!

Thanks again!!
BWV

What he said. I noticed that was starting to happen a bit in the second half, though.

adamdz
08-23-2008, 10:35 PM
Good job tonight, I was surprised to see it, what a nice surprise though. What I can't believe is some fuckers who were stanging near me the whole game like stones and were saying he was a bad capo. GJ zak and usector. It was a great first try, and hopefully this will help push us all further and make us better in the future. GJ all around tonight, everyone seemed more on top of their game tonight (although the people around me seemed to have a dry spell leading up to the goal in the second half).

Shit I didn't even think to take a picture :D, I am sure someone did though.

Soods
08-23-2008, 10:36 PM
I was in the beer garden tonight and I though I had no idea that this was planned, it was obvious that something was different. I thought the atmosphere was very very good tonight.

Also, kudos to the New England travelling support as they were loud and proud and only added to a great time.

Well done to everyone tonight!!!

stugautz
08-23-2008, 10:44 PM
The south end sounded unreal for the first 15 minutes of the game. Who needs a roof when you guys were that loud!!!

Keep up the good work!

As much as I hate to say it, I heard New England chant "This is our house" a few times, and they sung their anthem pretty loud for the small group they had.

mclaren
08-23-2008, 10:45 PM
I was in the beer garden tonight and I though I had no idea that this was planned, it was obvious that something was different. I thought the atmosphere was very very good tonight.

Also, kudos to the New England travelling support as they were loud and proud and only added to a great time.

Well done to everyone tonight!!!

Were they singing? Didn't hear a squeak from them.

Corcai
08-23-2008, 10:49 PM
I couldn't hear a fucking thing.

BritSOL
08-23-2008, 10:58 PM
South end chants seemed to spread around the stadium a bit more than usual tonight. I am near the back of 224 and tonight was one of the better times for this section joining in. We actually had a few more people singing "Dichio 24"

Maybe the chants can go on a bit longer for more people in the upper sections to catch on.

Ageroo
08-23-2008, 11:10 PM
Lets hope parkdale made a video

It that like a tirck question or joke....lol

Jack
08-23-2008, 11:14 PM
It worked pretty well and especially because Zac is open to receiving and passing chants, not just starting them.

I was able to take several chants that were started by us in 112 and pass them to Zac who got them to spread.

I think it worked well. The capo wasn't the be-all, end-all, but a tool used to help spread and pass chants, as well as start some stuff up when things got to a lull. We also had a few lulls where we would start something in 112 and then I would pass it to Zac...

Pretty basic stuff, but when it works it seems pretty cool.

MrHawk
08-23-2008, 11:17 PM
Honestly, the capo made the difference. It sounded like BMO field was rocking hardcore tonight. It made a big difference, so you didn't have 3 different chants going on.

I just have one small suggestion. I know when watching Dinamo Zagreb games, when they get scored on, their fans just chant louder. Perhaps we should start this?

Jack
08-23-2008, 11:20 PM
I think we tried, Hawk...

There are moments during the game where you really have to dig deep and summon up the energy to continue...especially when the team isn't delivering.

I think we still need to work on that, but we had a much better night tonight. There are still many things we can do better, but we're moving forwards..

Whoop
08-23-2008, 11:20 PM
I thought it worked well tonight. I thought 112/113 did a good job in picking up chants from one another. There were times where 112 would start a chant but the one in 113 would be louder and 112 would join in and vice versa.

I was told it was pretty loud on TV.

Only suggestion that I had heard was perhaps having the stand in between 112/113. Personally I think that way there wouldn't be that split. If 112/113 - and by extension 111 - can be loud together I think the rest of the south end could catch on.

But it was a good first step!

Whoop
08-23-2008, 11:23 PM
And there were a few chants we didn't do IMO! Allez TO Allez! haha

I'm just feel we hear "Come on you reds" and "when the reds go marching in" too enough... But I don't think it's necessarily our fault... People from the top of the south just keep singing those over and over again. In the end, we just want to create a wall of noise, but diversity is the key.

I think we did a good job of keeping the chants going longer though.

daner90
08-23-2008, 11:23 PM
I was sitting (well standing) down with the North End Elite tonight (although I am not an elite) and I though that something was different in the south stands tonight..you guys were rocking!! This made a huge difference because as we heard the chants from the south we were able to pick up on them and try to join in. Great job!

MrHawk
08-23-2008, 11:25 PM
You guys did a great job, please don't get me wrong. Never heard you guys so loud for a TFC game, and I was even in 112 (Wrong game though). If said capo/leader could just start chanting immediately, and yell at everyone to get it together, it would really help.

I just wish I wasn't the only guy in 110 chanting. Mostly every just did the French chant, but that's it. I tried to get it going, but some kids were around and I couldn't go all out like I wanted to.

Whoop
08-23-2008, 11:42 PM
Just watching the replay.

Man it was loud today!

MrHawk
08-23-2008, 11:43 PM
After that goal, I felt like I was watching a newly reborn SouthEnd.

billyfly
08-23-2008, 11:48 PM
I definitely noticed Zak as Capo tonight but I have to admit the drums in row 15 of sec 112 were not in sync with Zak in the 1st half. It was good to see an organized capo in the SE but it will have to improve for the full effect.

Cheers to everyone tonight!

Jack
08-23-2008, 11:51 PM
Just watching the replay.

Man it was loud today!

Links?

MG42
08-23-2008, 11:53 PM
Boys, having a capo is a revolution in TFC supporters awesomeness...great job Zak, I was so happy that this was finally done...only suggestion I would have is to get a louder megaphone so 111 etc, can hear it better :)

just plain awesome :) thank you so much.

Whoop
08-23-2008, 11:59 PM
^^
No links, PVR.

But just watch the highlights on MLS or on TV.

My gf was watching the game on RSO and said she could chant along with some of the chants they were coming through clearly.

smeghead
08-24-2008, 12:03 AM
sitting in 224 i certainly noticed a difference. instead a wall of disjointed noise. i heard loud unison most of the time. it was terrific.

adamdz
08-24-2008, 12:11 AM
Courtesy of Mr Hawk for those who happened to miss it.

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u130/MrHawk_3340/TFC%20vs%20New%20England/TFCvsNE021.jpg

MrHawk
08-24-2008, 12:15 AM
I got a video on my camera. I'll have to post it.

loconet
08-24-2008, 12:22 AM
Loving the Capo. Good idea, needs work but for a first time, it went well. Good job. A few more matches to get people used to it and follow properly with the help of Flushy, and it should be sick.

Links?

It's supposed to be on FSE at 2:00am if you have that :D

Can't wait to see it...

etro
08-24-2008, 12:59 AM
big ups to zac... he did a bomb job... i find that the capo helped with spreading the chants, and getting people into and rocking... quality of chants > quantity of chants

Rudi
08-24-2008, 12:59 AM
Boys, having a capo is a revolution in TFC supporters awesomeness...great job Zak, I was so happy that this was finally done...only suggestion I would have is to get a louder megaphone so 111 etc, can hear it better :)
We're already looking into it.

Thanks for the kind words, guys. This little project was near and dear to me so I'm glad it came off so well. Honestly, I'm beaming right now, and this was only the first game with the capo stand! It'll only get better from here.

We're looking into repositioning the stand, but there are ton of variables involved (it took two months just to get this idea to become a reality) so please everyone be patient.

Zac was awesome tonight, and was really the first and best choice to take charge. As Jack said, he's open to picking on up other chants already in progress as well as starting his own, which is really what we need.

BC101
08-24-2008, 01:01 AM
RUDIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII my thanks eternal thanks for the Capo Usector gave us today... It was AMAZING...

ALLEZ ALLEZ ALLEZ OH!

deeznutz
08-24-2008, 01:09 AM
Is there any chance that this "Capo" be moved more towards the west so that 114 115 116 so on can catch our chants??? I think keeping a "Capo" infront of 113 all season does not make any sense since we all know the chants???? I mean many times tonight we were all on the same page but looking towards the west stands it seemed they were doing their own thing

BC101
08-24-2008, 01:10 AM
speaking of 114 where were the Ultras today? I didn't see any of them.

Whoop
08-24-2008, 01:13 AM
Jack... here is a link.

nNrSrSTlaJ0

And can I say again... WEEKEND NIGHT GAMES RULE!!!!!

Rudi
08-24-2008, 01:14 AM
Is there any chance that this "Capo" be moved more towards the west so that 114 115 116 so on can catch our chants??? I think keeping a "Capo" infront of 113 all season does not make any sense since we all know the chants???? I mean many times tonight we were all on the same page but looking towards the west stands it seemed they were doing their own thing
The issue isn't knowing the chants, the issue is unifying the loudest corner in the stadium. I think we've proven that a capo will help immensely, and in time we'll be able to focus on the rest of the south end.

Whoop
08-24-2008, 01:17 AM
The issue isn't knowing the chants, the issue is unifying the loudest corner in the stadium. I think we've proven that a capo will help immensely, and in time we'll be able to focus on the rest of the south end.

I agree with this a unified 112/113 and by extension 111. We add to it all.

If that corner is super loud, I'm sure 114/115 won't have a problem catching on.

Baby steps.

Maybe 4-5 years from now, there will be a capo right in the middle of the south stands...!

RedRum
08-24-2008, 01:19 AM
Unreal tonight...the excitement I felt strolling into 1112/113 and seeing that big wooden mofo was surpassed only by what Zac did while standing atop it. I'm gonna punch myself in the face a few times before bed just because I fucking can. It really was that good.

flatpicker
08-24-2008, 01:22 AM
I loved it!

I thought we sounded terrific tonight!

I'm up higher in 111 and I still get annoyed as some people up there (and in upper 110) try to start chants while others are well under way in 112/113. But it's getting better and there was definitely some of the best togetherness I have ever seen.

We must keep the capo going.... it will just keep getting better!

yellowfellow
08-24-2008, 01:26 AM
Zac did a great job unifying the chants. Not necessarily the chants that he wants. But, when a few number started a chant, he would get the whole section in on it. Great job!

Suggestion: I was in Rome for a game. They had 3 capos space out across the supporters section and it's up to them to be unified. Can we have a capo in front of 112, 113 and another one in 114, 115, 116?

Cashcleaner
08-24-2008, 03:37 AM
Couldn't make it to the game tonight and didn't get a chance to watch it on TV, but from the repsonses here it sounds like the capo worked out well. I hope this becomes a fixture on gameday, because I really think its the best way to go abour focusing our voices.

mclaren
08-24-2008, 06:13 AM
You guys did a great job, please don't get me wrong. Never heard you guys so loud for a TFC game, and I was even in 112 (Wrong game though). If said capo/leader could just start chanting immediately, and yell at everyone to get it together, it would really help.

I just wish I wasn't the only guy in 110 chanting. Mostly every just did the French chant, but that's it. I tried to get it going, but some kids were around and I couldn't go all out like I wanted to.

Where were you in 110? There were loadsa people chanting as usual in 110. Were you in the lower part of the section?

Brooker
08-24-2008, 06:43 AM
the capo was fucking genius.

good job whoever set that up. zac did an amazing job.

CAPO = MAGIC

King Jeff
08-24-2008, 06:53 AM

Were you somewhere around Row 18, by chance? There were about a half a dozen kids right behind me who kept trying to start a "Go Leafs Go" chant :noidea:

Kickit09
08-24-2008, 09:43 AM
definitely an improvement last night, but still herd multiple chants going on at the same time, although not as often...oh and the megaphone could barely be herd from the top of 114, maybe get a bigger/louder one? but still an improvement and better than usual.

canadian_bhoy
08-24-2008, 09:46 AM
I thought Zac did a great job - He not only would lead some of the chants - but he let the crowd start up their own and he spread it. It was similar to what he usually does, but just ramped up a little.

For the first 25 mins or so, the whole of 112 was singing and bouncing, but after that it seemed like it was only the first half of the section.

In the second half we were ok - but hey, fact is, its becoming a frustrating season and I think our efforts tonight were fantastic.

FluSH
08-24-2008, 10:00 AM

I think that is the key right there. Throughout the majority of matches this season 112 and 113 were rarely on the same page (Besides Massive and your usual suspects). At times we would take the "day off" and at times you would wonder were 113 was? The key for the Capo is to unify this corner and spread the chants from there. I wasn't at the game, however I did watch the match with a bit more interest on the chants/capo setup.

I was a bit dissapointed to see the the capo stand more west of 113 and not east towards 112/111. I guess this is where you chose your battle... will 111 benefit us more or will 114 in spreading chants? It's obvious that it should be 114 as the rest of the supporters follow.. however 111 is definately alive and strong and as someone stated... in the abscene of the Ultras in 114... who will carry the chants further.

In regards to the performace.... Watching it from TV I could not here a differance, but I think this due to the MIC being pointed God knows where (Kamie and I joked that we could hear individual comversations from people at times). I did see a visual differance in the amount of people that would follow the lead... and that was pleasing. I'm also wondering how Zac did with the more inclined RPB chants? (I.e. We love You, THe Red Bounce, etc..) I think moving forward we will have to be more and more on the same page with chants... and this is crucial.

boban
08-24-2008, 10:08 AM
The south end sounded unreal for the first 15 minutes of the game. Who needs a roof when you guys were that loud!!!

Keep up the good work!

As much as I hate to say it, I heard New England chant "This is our house" a few times, and they sung their anthem pretty loud for the small group they had.
I was sitting in 225 for the game and I must say we the game started the corner was amazing. Like 1 wall of sound as it should be. And it was loud.
Zac, Rudi, you guys did a great job getting this together and executing.
However, as stugautz mentioned. It seemed to die down in the 2nd half of the 1st half. But keep it up and in not time the whole south end will rock.

An aside: 111, 110 seemed a little quiet for some reason. Esp. the top section.

flatpicker
08-24-2008, 10:31 AM
^ I'm up top in 111... and believe me I try to get more people going.
They just don't seem to join in on many of the lesser known or complex chants... they sure love "This is Our House" though... even when we are losing!
Maybe there are too many young kids up there.

My suggestion for the capo (which was excellent by the way)...
Use arm movements more to keep the beat and everyone in time.
- especially the "We Love You" song. It was getting started at all different times.
I'm wondering if the long pause at the start of the song is throwing people off. Maybe it needs to start faster on it's second time around.

At times the capo used his arms and it was effective... just needs to do it more... and be more animated... like a conductor.

Naturegirl
08-24-2008, 10:39 AM
Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou!!!!!!! It was an honour to have Zac up on the stand!!! Well Done Usector!!!!!!

denime
08-24-2008, 11:14 AM
Like I wrote before,great job.
I think in order to get the rest of south going is not necessary that 11-113 get louder,it is to get chants/songs longer.
Because 111-113 trying to get as loud as possible after 30 seconds the air is out and most of fans stop chanting/singing.Try to get chant longer and you will see 114-118 will follow.I'm in 115 and it is difficult to hear until 111 get it going, than we can hear and catch up with you guys,unfortunately many times 111-113 is done with chant as we just start to pick up.
Capo was the best thing that happened at south stands this year.

PS Rudi tell Zac to wear RED next time. :D

Pigfynn
08-24-2008, 11:25 AM
Great idea I could hear him no problem all the way at the top of 114.

This will go a long way in helping unify the south end.

Great work!

Mrs. Workie
08-24-2008, 11:27 AM
Zac was awesome tonight, and was really the first and best choice to take charge. As Jack said, he's open to picking on up other chants already in progress as well as starting his own, which is really what we need.

This was something I noticed as well- and was quite happy with. This is what'll make it work (and me going over at half time to teach him chants ;) )

I was a bit dissapointed to see the the capo stand more west of 113 and not east towards 112/111.

I think it was more a question of where they were TOLD to put it- but correct me if I'm wrong Rudi.

I'm also wondering how Zac did with the more inclined RPB chants? (I.e. We love You, THe Red Bounce, etc..) I think moving forward we will have to be more and more on the same page with chants... and this is crucial.

He didn't even hesitate- I was actually over during half time teaching him the words to the bounce, cuz he didn't know them. He told me as soon as I got there that he wasn't trying to snub us, he just didn't know it. He seemed to pick up on it in the second half.

I also noticed a few chants that were primarily chants u-sector does, and I didn't know all the words either. Perhaps Rudi, you could start a thread in our Chants section, with some of the chants you guys do- so we can learn them as well.

ALl in all, this is a great thing, and will only make it better.

flatpicker
08-24-2008, 11:34 AM
Like I wrote before,great job.
I think in order to get the rest of south going is not necessary that 11-113 get louder,it is to get chants/songs longer.
Because 111-113 trying to get as loud as possible after 30 seconds the air is out and most of fans stop chanting/singing.Try to get chant longer and you will see 114-118 will follow.I'm in 115 and it is difficult to hear until 111 get it going, than we can hear and catch up with you guys,unfortunately many times 111-113 is done with chant as we just start to pick up.
Capo was the best thing that happened at south stands this year.

PS Rudi tell Zac to wear RED next time. :D

I'm thinking that, for this very reason, maybe the capo should be closer to the corner of 111/112.
That way 111 would be even more in sinc with the bunker and therefore project there voices over towards 115.
Either that or eventually have two capos who work together...
... one near the corner and one further down around 115ish.
(they would have to be good to stay in time with each other though)

Mikey
08-24-2008, 11:36 AM
It made a huge difference to the few of us at the top of 112 that sing. Instead of catching the tail end of an existing chant and joining in on the sound wave (half a second late), we could see from the arm movements which chant Zac was driving and keep time.

The heavy duty flag pipe/pole worked really well for pounding out the beat on the metal floor and keeping time at the top of the stand as well. Overall, it felt a lot more coordinated and therefore inclusive from the top of 112. The guys in front of me joined in with many more chants than usual.

MrHawk
08-24-2008, 11:46 AM
To mclaren and King Jeff:

Half the chants I wound up being the only one that I could hear (and I frightened the kids infront of me apparently)

There were times when 110 was loud, but sometimes it felt like I was the only one going.

Btw I was in Row 29

MisterMacphisto
08-24-2008, 12:13 PM
I was at the top of 127. I looked over to the South End, because the chanting seemed *A LOT* louder. That's when I saw the stand and the capo. Never had heard about it happening.

I got to tell you, it was one of the many cool moments in TFC history I will never forget.

There was just something really amazing about seeing this dude on a stand from really far away, just seeing his arm go up and down, and hearing this wave of sound from the South. Much better jumping in the south end too. Kudos, keep it up. I think it will only get better.

Rudi
08-24-2008, 12:51 PM
I think it was more a question of where they were TOLD to put it- but correct me if I'm wrong Rudi.
Yeah, I had a general idea where it was going to be, but didn't know its exact location until I got there myself.

From what I've been told, they put it there because it's close enough to the corner to be effective, yet still in a position to get a big chunk of the south stand west of 113 involved. I also believe that they cannot put the stand any closer to the corner due to some sort of safety codes, but I'm not 100% on that.

I also noticed a few chants that were primarily chants u-sector does, and I didn't know all the words either. Perhaps Rudi, you could start a thread in our Chants section, with some of the chants you guys do- so we can learn them as well.
I'll see what I can do :cool:

romburgundy
08-24-2008, 12:57 PM
This was kick ass I was in 220 and no question the loadest game for a very long time. Great job everyone!

Super
08-24-2008, 01:00 PM
Zac was amazing. The atmosphere was definitely improved. Having a Capo is the way forward, and Zac is the right man for the job.

Don Julio
08-24-2008, 01:03 PM
I mentioned it over on their board, but i don't think a louder megaphone is necessary (of course it wouldn't hurt, though). The key is aiming it properly. The sound is pretty directional and it just needs to be aimed right. You could probably hear it clearly in 104 if it was aimed right at them. Right now it's usually being aimed over everyone's heads.

It really shouldn't be a problem to at least cover the area from at least 114 to 110 with the current one.

Technorgasm
08-24-2008, 01:09 PM
Jack... here is a link.

nNrSrSTlaJ0

And can I say again... WEEKEND NIGHT GAMES RULE!!!!!

holy fuck EVERYTHING was clicking last night. . GUevara / Ricketts / Wynne were playing to their potential and communicating well. .

this ommunication was echoed in the south end. . even on the NORTH end folks were into the chants. . and then. . THE GOAL.

oh sweet sweet sweet goal.

WELCOME BARRETT!!

chant for him?

Mrs. Workie
08-24-2008, 01:20 PM
It made a huge difference to the few of us at the top of 112 that sing. Instead of catching the tail end of an existing chant and joining in on the sound wave (half a second late), we could see from the arm movements which chant Zac was driving and keep time.

The heavy duty flag pipe/pole worked really well for pounding out the beat on the metal floor and keeping time at the top of the stand as well. Overall, it felt a lot more coordinated and therefore inclusive from the top of 112. The guys in front of me joined in with many more chants than usual.

It seemed like we weren't the only ones at the top, and we too noticed the guys in front of us joining in as well- which just proves that this is a good thing. There is now someone loud enough, and visible enough for everyone- which makes picking up on this easier.

billygrieveuk
08-24-2008, 03:20 PM

this guys is amazing.
he gets things going, and has good timing on chants.
just give up on the cross field massive! :)

another person who is crawling his way up the capo ladder is FlusH! boy never stops.....

profit89
08-24-2008, 03:30 PM
Unite The South End !!!!!!!!

Mrs. Workie
08-24-2008, 05:58 PM
Unite The South End !!!!!!!!

We need to get out shit together in 112/113, before we even think about uniting the South End.

One section at a time :D

denime
08-24-2008, 06:09 PM
We need to get out shit together in 112/113, before we even think about uniting the South End.

One section at a time :D

True,111 is almost there and than spread slowly to the west 114,115 by the year 2013 south will be united. ;)

Maple Leaf Red
08-24-2008, 07:49 PM
It was great to look down and see him co-ordinating chants. It really seemed to make a massive difference. Hopefully it can keep going.

MEU
08-24-2008, 08:42 PM
The capo and the singing were awesome. I would suggest to try a visual cue for the songs so that the rest of the stadium can learn to time the chants with the south end. Case in point, The "TFC Clap Clap Clap" was started in the south end, but by the time the noise got to the north end it was "visible" that we were off sync because we were just raising our hads when you guys were already lowering them. Just due to the physics (speed) of sound. So for example, the capo would hold up a red triangle flag that would be coded to the "TFC Clap Clap Clap", and as soon as it goes down we ALL start chanting. Also, this way, it won't matter where the capo is located.

heather
08-24-2008, 08:51 PM
I posted this in "the view outside the bunker" thread. I'll post it again here :)

I spent the game in the first row of 113 directly behind the Capo stand and Zac (I normally find myself near the front/middle of 112).

It was my first time in 113 and I am NOT trying to speak for anyone in that section.

Any chant that was known to both U sector and RPB and could be heard coming from 112 Zac seemed to pick up rather quickly (i.e. they have their own version of the Bounce and don't know our lyrics so that didn't make its way across very well).

Definitely agree with Denime that the capo made a HUGE difference. It seemed to me that unless someone at the bottom of 113 is taking the effort to LOOK and see what 112 is doing a lot of the action in 112 is lost simply because the sound doesn't travel that well.

I tried my best to look to the first few rows of 112 (L-wag, deniz etc), or to the mid section (Jay, Jack, Red Thunder etc) to see what was going on and pick up on the chants. I applaud all the RPB in 112 - you looked GREAT :hurray:

The drums, while not always on time (it might be an issue with how the sound travels over the stands, I don't know) also definitely seemed necessary to get the timing of the chants cross to the front of 113. Red Thunder is LOUD!!!!! :D

Anyways, it was great seeing 112 from a different perspective, looking forward to being back in the Bunker!

ochos
08-25-2008, 11:28 AM
I didn't think it was the loudest game (especially when thinking back to those memorable first few games last year :D) but I definitely noticed a more coordinated, synchronized effort!! There were way fewer rebel chants going off on a tangent..

112 did great to pickup the louder chants started in 113.. what progress in only 1 game! And because 113 seemed more together, and therefore 'composed', they seemed to notice our chants a bit easier and pick them up accordingly.

The Bounce still needs work.. this one will be our bread and butter once we perfect it (and I'm not just saying that as a huge LFC/Torres supporter)

Kudos to everyone in the south end for their great work on Sat...
I'm dreaming of the playoffs right now, what an atmosphere it'll be when we get there!!!!!

nimamalek
08-25-2008, 11:45 AM
can we have him move a little more central? we're still having some issues with our timing in the other end of the supporters section, we need to get the entire south end in sync somehow

flatpicker
08-25-2008, 11:49 AM
I think it would awesome to eventually have two capos... one near each corner of the South End.
The South West corner of BMO is very loud at times and if it could be unified with the Bunker then I think the rest of the South would fall in line.

two points for our current capo (who was awesome):

- be careful to direct the megaphone toward those who need to hear it the most.
- be very animated with arms to help keep everyone in sinc.

joel
08-25-2008, 12:09 PM
At times it sounded fantastic from 224, now I didn't know what the chants were stilll, but I couls hear them clearly..before it was a wall of noise for many chants, great job!

jabbronies
08-25-2008, 12:13 PM
ya Capo worked IMO.
Things that could be improved

- Crowd not picking up a chant and trying to chant against the capo as opposed to singing with him

e.g.
Capo - Can you hear New Enlgand Sing
Crowd- Noooo Nooooo
Crowd - I can't hear a fucking thing

Anyone agree?? Disagree??

AL-MO
08-25-2008, 12:15 PM
another person who is crawling his way up the capo ladder is FlusH! boy never stops.....

If there is a capo ladder he would already be around the top with Zac. What Zac is to U-Sector is what FluSH is to RPB.

I thought the capo stand worked out great. I was really happy to see it when I first came in to the game from the top of 114.

AL-MO
08-25-2008, 12:16 PM
ya Capo worked IMO.
Things that could be improved

- Crowd not picking up a chant and trying to chant against the capo as opposed to singing with him

e.g.
Crowd- Noooo Nooooo
Crowd - I can't hear a fucking thing

Anyone agree?? Disagree??

More back and forth chants between the capo and crowd would be great.

sabre22
08-25-2008, 12:17 PM
I think it would awesome to eventually have two capos... one near each corner of the South End.
The South West corner of BMO is very loud at times and if it could be unified with the Bunker then I think the rest of the South would fall in line.

two points for our current capo (who was awesome):

- be careful to direct the megaphone toward those who need to hear it the most.
- be very animated with arms to help keep everyone in sinc.
absolutely true
arms are crucial for timing.
there are moments when 119 starts up oh toronto but nobody joins in and 116 starts up forza to and nobody joins in, a capo in that end would solve that.

jabbronies
08-25-2008, 12:24 PM
More back and forth chants between the capo and crowd would be great.

No I meant we shouldn't have the crowd cheer against the capo....they should only pick up the chant from the capo and if anything, chant against other sections...

Gobi
08-25-2008, 12:36 PM
Just want to add my support for the capo and congratulate Zac and everyone else who got it done.
I was standing with the Workies at the top of 112 and it was like night and fcking day compared with other games.
I think we finally have our solution with regard to uniting the southend. (And, in time, a united, synched South will allow the rest of the stadium to join in and get it right.)
Viva le Capo!

MrHawk
08-25-2008, 12:50 PM
I stated earlier on, the one thing I would suggest is the capo should lead the group into a louder chant if/when TFC gets scored on.

luvgravy
08-25-2008, 01:00 PM
The drums, while not always on time (it might be an issue with how the sound travels over the stands, I don't know) also definitely seemed necessary to get the timing of the chants cross to the front of 113. Red Thunder is LOUD!!!!! :D

Not being entirely sure who and how you guys are operating your bass drum, but I think the issue is when they try a complex rhythm. You need 2 sticks to bang out a more complex rhythm and I think I saw Boris using only 1 when I had a chance to look.

Yes it's loud, but if it's not in sync it's actually counter productive.

flatpicker
08-25-2008, 01:17 PM
^ When I was listening to the drumming in the last game I was actually thinking they were trying too hard.

I think it needs to be very simple beats to keep people in sinc.

If you want to rock out on the drums then let it be about the drums...
... I remember one game earlier this year when a bunch of drums started a big percussion jam in the bunker and it sounded very cool.
Do that once or twice a game... but the songs need very minimal beats!

in fact, now that I think of about it...
...perhaps a good time for the drums to rock out is when Toronto is putting on the pressure and fans are too wrapped up with screaming enthusiasm to carry a tune.
just let the crowd roar and the drums go ballistic!

Whoop
08-25-2008, 01:21 PM
No I meant we shouldn't have the crowd cheer against the capo....they should only pick up the chant from the capo and if anything, chant against other sections...

I'm more along the lines of AL-MO.

The capo starts the chant.

i.e.
Capo: Can you hear New England sing?
Crowd: No, no.

or

The Ultra call-out.

Problem is you need a loud megaphone.

Like this. Check out how loud the megaphone is though.

MeY575iliJw

On other chants... like Forza, the capo just tries to keep going and he does that by waving his arms in the air and/or just adding to as it goes on.

Zac does a good job, just needs a louder megaphone that's all.

Whoop
08-25-2008, 01:24 PM
Also the capo should start the Massive.

ie. Get the attention of 111 for example and he starts. Once 111 responds, then 112/113 picks it up.

It's a bit of pet peeve because when the Massive starts off weak it turns everything off. It's only when it's repeated that it sounds better.

Red Skies At Night
08-25-2008, 01:27 PM
From my spot close to the middle of 115 there was a chant very early in the game which spread like wiildfire across the sections (forget which chant now) but it made the hairs on my neck stand up and I thought "Oh this is going to be epic" but after that things changed and again in 115 we were caught between competing chants from left and right. Another capo (an idea which I originally scoffed at, but am now being brought around to) in the sw corner coordinating with the se capo would do wonders for the entire south end.

We're getting there folks, we're getting there.

Ratven
08-25-2008, 04:08 PM
From my spot close to the middle of 115 there was a chant very early in the game which spread like wiildfire across the sections (forget which chant now) but it made the hairs on my neck stand up and I thought "Oh this is going to be epic" but after that things changed and again in 115 we were caught between competing chants from left and right. Another capo (an idea which I originally scoffed at, but am now being brought around to) in the sw corner coordinating with the se capo would do wonders for the entire south end.

Probably the Ultra TO chant, where the capo calls out and people respond. I think it's the most epic chant we have, and really makes hair stand. Also pumps the crowd up like nothing else.

flatpicker
08-25-2008, 04:41 PM
Probably the Ultra TO chant, where the capo calls out and people respond. I think it's the most epic chant we have, and really makes hair stand. Also pumps the crowd up like nothing else.

it's too bad that people outside the bunker seem too intimidated to join in on that one.
In 111 we just tend to let the bunker entertain us with it.

Certainly part of that is lot's of people not knowing the words (even with a dude with a megaphone shouting them out)

Ratven
08-25-2008, 04:54 PM
I'd like for Rudi to post up the official words, I'm not sure if I have it 100%.

ULTRAS TO

Capo: Ole Ole Ole O!
Crowd: Ole Ole Ole O!

Capo: We love you Toronto!
Crowd: We love you Toronto!

Capo: Oh yes we love you Toronto!
Crowd: Oh yes we love you Toronto!

Capo: Ole!
Crowd: Ole!

Capo: Ohh!
Crowd: Ohh!

Capo: ULTRAS!
Crowd: ULTRAS!

Capo: T-O!
Crowd: T-O!

Immediately break into T-O-R, O-N-T, Oooooooh-TFC

flatpicker
08-25-2008, 04:57 PM
I know for a lot of people it was the word "Ultra" that turned them off.
But it definitely seems like most supporters are becoming ok with it.

Many non-supporter affiliated folks at BMO will probably have no idea what we are talking about with "Ultras"
And confusion usually leads to silence.

But it is picking up steam and sounded awesome on the weekend... so maybe it will continue to spread.

mclaren
08-25-2008, 05:00 PM
I'd like for Rudi to post up the official words, I'm not sure if I have it 100%.

ULTRAS TO

That sounds 100% quality - one of the best chants we have. It's true, shame the other sections don't get involved but that's because nobody knows the words.

Nodoubtguy
08-25-2008, 05:02 PM

Yeah, the back of 115 seems pretty hell bent on doing their own thing and their own chants which sucks for us in 115 trying to join everyone to out right.

Angelo1405
08-25-2008, 05:10 PM
awesome....just one suggestion....couldnt they attach some smaller podium to the first rail in front of the first row, i just figured since it would be easier for Everyone to see him....but if its working for everyone than no need for that. arm movement, motion thing is Very important, a Louder megaphone would be PERFECT...and since we got a capo...wouldnt hurt to memorize this chant..its like it was Built for the "capo" !!

2QBk2LE-mbI&feature=related

Nodoubtguy
08-25-2008, 05:12 PM
hahahaha.....I think BMO would fall apart if we did that one

Workie
08-25-2008, 05:25 PM
Yea it's a great start. Things just "MIGHT" start to click. Now if we can just get us to pick a song to sing then I'd be over the moon!

All in all great job! Esp for a first run, even if some people seem hell bent on trying to screw it up we prevailed.

I'd like to thank Rudi for the headaches he has had for the last 3 months getting this together. If we all work together we can be as loud, Strong and as co-ordinated as any club. (even if our team is not :D)

All For One!

Boris
08-25-2008, 05:29 PM
Yea it's a great start. Things just "MIGHT" start to click. Now if we can just get us to pick a song to sing then I'd be over the moon!

All in all great job! Esp for a first run, even if some people seem hell bent on trying to screw it up we prevailed.

I'd like to thank Rudi for the headaches he has had for the last 3 months getting this together. If we all work together we can be as loud, Strong and as co-ordinated as any club. (even if our team is not :D)

All For One!

amen

Carter
08-25-2008, 05:45 PM

All For One!

Praise Workie!!!!

Rudi
08-25-2008, 05:58 PM

ULTRAS TO

Pretty close. Just change "Ole" to "Allez" throughout and that's the chant.

The thing I love about it is that it may actually be the oldest U-Sector chant, dating back 8 years when we were known as the Toronto Ultras. The fact that it started in the rickety stands of Varsity, then to the crappy Centennial Stadium, and now at our beloved BMO Field is awesome.

I'm so glad people are catching on to it.

Now we just need more people doing the Bounce and our Horto, and we'll be laughing. :hump:

MrHawk
08-25-2008, 05:59 PM
Horto??????

uh oh hahahaha, I know some people don't like that chant

Dave67
08-25-2008, 06:13 PM
Pretty close. Just change "Ole" to "Allez" throughout and that's the chant.

The thing I love about it is that it may actually be the oldest U-Sector chant, dating back 8 years when we were known as the Toronto Ultras. The fact that it started in the rickety stands of Varsity, then to the crappy Centennial Stadium, and now at our beloved BMO Field is awesome.

I'm so glad people are catching on to it.

Now we just need more people doing the Bounce and our Horto, and we'll be laughing. :hump:

Okay - I remember singing this in Chicago and it is a great chant. Pretty sure we did not sing 'Ultras' in it. Or did we and I need my hearing checked :)