PDA

View Full Version : Carver wants DeRo and de Guzman

Draracle
08-23-2008, 11:20 AM
On Soccer Central, a little clip had Carver saying he wanted to get his hands on a few CMNT players. Specifically DeRo and de Guzman.

Just pandering to the fans or is he serious (isn't he always serious?)? Is real grass required before these guys would come here? How likely?

I_AM_CANADIAN
08-23-2008, 11:21 AM
Yeah, just seen that. Who wouldn't want those guys? It's not going to happen, but hey, you can't blame him for throwing it out there.

canadian_bhoy
08-23-2008, 11:22 AM
On Soccer Central, a little clip had Carver saying he wanted to get his hands on a few CMNT players. Specifically DeRo and de Guzman.

Just pandering to the fans or his he serious (isn't he always serious?). Is real grass required before these guys would come here? How likely?

Its not the first person at TFC I've heard say they wanted those specific players. The other one said it quite recently - but the fans need to support the moves and push the club to do it. I agree with that philosophy get F'n DeRo to TO!!!!!

Carts
08-23-2008, 11:23 AM
Yeah, just seen that. Who wouldn't want those guys? It's not going to happen, but hey, you can't blame him for throwing it out there.

Its a good thing to throw out, puts a little leaning on management...

Doubt it'll happen unfortunately...

Carts...

Draracle
08-23-2008, 11:24 AM

DeRo isn't out of the question. His contract is up this year or next, I can't remember. But I think he signed a 2 year extension when TFC joined the league. If he wants to come to Toronto, and we want him, Houston will be able to do shit when the contract ends.

H Bomb
08-23-2008, 11:24 AM

Exactly. In England things work differently and coaches tend to talk about how good other teams players are. There's no story there other than he rates them as players

flatpicker
08-23-2008, 11:25 AM
I watched that too...

but, well what else would he say???

you would have to be that little kid in the playground who eats dirt not to see that those guys would be good on your team!

I like the coverage they gave TFC, Canada, Montreal and Vancouver.
I wonder if there will be any tv coverage for the Impact games next week?

rocker
08-23-2008, 11:26 AM
he said he likes at least 5 of the guys there. he was smiling the whole time.
i'm sure he wouldn't mind any one of those players, since most of them are at or above MLS quality in my mind.

ya this sportscentral coverage kicks ass. lots of canadian club and national stuff.

sully
08-23-2008, 11:28 AM

Just pandering to the fans or is he serious (isn't he always serious?)? Is real grass required before these guys would come here? How likely?

any team in MLS would like to get their hands on those two players...so saying that doesn't mean anything on its own..

I_AM_CANADIAN
08-23-2008, 11:28 AM
I agree that DeRo could happen if we get grass, which is hopefully likely in the near future... De Guzman though, not yet.

Draracle
08-23-2008, 11:30 AM
he said he likes at least 5 of the guys there. he was smiling the whole time.
i'm sure he wouldn't mind any one of those players, since most of them are at or above MLS quality in my mind.

ya this sportscentral coverage kicks ass. lots of canadian club and national stuff.

I think that is the changing tastes of Canadian fans -- we are becoming more and more interested in Canadian clubs.

ManUtd4ever
08-23-2008, 11:33 AM
JDG is out of the question as he has a long and prosperous career in Europe ahead of him. As for DeRo, if MoJo is successful in his bid to build a new practice facility and install natural grass at BMO, I have no doubt that he would love to finish his career in his hometown once his current contract expires...

Corpand
08-23-2008, 11:40 AM
Guzman as a DP, not only does he get a fat paycheck but he's in his hometown :)

profit89
08-23-2008, 11:43 AM
DeRo is not out of the question... in fact, very likely.

TFC USA
08-23-2008, 11:44 AM
I'd love it, but....

Mo Johnston: 2 CANADIANS CARVER?! ARE YOU INSANE?!

wzhxvy
08-23-2008, 11:49 AM
Carver is now drinking Mo's coolaid. Lets say we "would love to", or we are "trying" as if that is good enough. I agree that Dero is a possibility but we saw it on the pitch, JDG was by far, heads and shoulders above any player on both teams. Would be a great DP, and I am sure we could afford him, but we need grass and some more seats in the stadium.

v00d00daddy
08-23-2008, 12:01 PM
Wow....did any of you guys watch the clip on soccer central? He didn't say he's out to get DeGuzman or DeRo. He just said that there are 3-4 guys on the Canadian team that he would take "tomorrow". I think that's what the quote was. It's the same as Carver watching any other game and picking out the bright spots and saying, "I'd love to have them on my team". It doesn't mean he's pursuing them, just that he likes them.

HBomb and Flatpicker got it right here. Fingers crossed tonight boyos.

Draracle
08-23-2008, 12:05 PM
Wow....did any of you guys watch the clip on soccer central? He didn't say he's out to get DeGuzman or DeRo. He just said that there are 3-4 guys on the Canadian team that he would take "tomorrow". I think that's what the quote was. It's the same as Carver watching any other game and picking out the bright spots and saying, "I'd love to have them on my team". It doesn't mean he's pursuing them, just that he likes them.

HBomb and Flatpicker got it right here. Fingers crossed tonight boyos.

I don't think anyone said Carver is actually trying to land a player. We just like that the Management said they like DeRo; incase you missed it, DeRo is kind of a big deal around here.

v00d00daddy
08-23-2008, 12:28 PM

Well then this first post is a little mis-leading. Sure sounds like you thought he was talking about legitimately trying to land them.

Yes. I like DeRo too. I would consider giving up a hell of a lot for him but that's probably just the desperation talking due to the shitty skid TFC is in. One day he'll come home. Hopefully its soon.

Rawkus_420
08-23-2008, 01:45 PM
guzman has more euro year left in him, he woudlnt come here unless he was desperate I would think. Although he would be a hero if he did...I think de-ro is the more likely possibility, didnt he mention he would like to play in toronto some day, or did I just dream that??

a.ungaro
08-23-2008, 02:34 PM
I went to meet Dero and de guzman at the intercontinental hotel on wednesday morning to pick up my game tickets. We started conversation and then i brought up TFC and i said becuase they were fans they should suit up and come help us out... then i joked and said u guys probably dont wanna come because of the turf and laughed but they looked at eachother and said yeah its true :(

professor
08-23-2008, 02:39 PM
DeGuzman & DeRosario in Toronto, playing for TFC, ....

Unprecedented opportunity for marketing and brand presentation.
Ad Mgrs would be lining up, far surpassing anything that a Flutie,
Clemons, Bosh, Carter, Gilmour, Haliday, Wells, Clark, or any
other Argo, Blue Jay, or Maple Leaf player has achieved

According to a friend who is in advertising, many Global companies
with a high domestic (Cdn) presence would jump at a DeGuzman/DeRosario
opportunity - it would be Gretzky/Weir like levels with similar $$$.
Ford, CIBC and Air Canada were all mentioned as those are ad campaigns
he has worked on with athletes

The side bar, from a advertising perspective, would also be the appeal
to the footie fan who is not a TFC/MLS fan that is Toronto/Ontario/Canada resident

I'm pretty sure I've butchered the ad lingo/logic, but the main point was
the options available to them would be far greater than any other
contemporary player in any of the more "mainstream" T-O pro teams.

and the enormity of their impact upon TFC, local football and MLS ....

professor
08-23-2008, 02:48 PM
I went to meet Dero and de guzman at the intercontinental hotel on wednesday morning to pick up my game tickets. We started conversation and then i brought up TFC and i said becuase they were fans they should suit up and come help us out... then i joked and said u guys probably dont wanna come because of the turf and laughed but they looked at eachother and said yeah its true :(

Yeah

One of the guys I was with on Wednesday knows a couple of NT players

I don’t know which player, but his comment was if MLSE ever decided to make the same kind of commitment to football as they have to hockey and basketball, players would contact TFC, never mind TFC sending out feelers

makes ya wonder

CretanBull
08-23-2008, 03:20 PM
DeRo will likely end his career here...I think JDG will stay and retire in Europe .

ensco
08-23-2008, 03:36 PM
DeGuzman & DeRosario in Toronto, playing for TFC, ....

Unprecedented opportunity for marketing and brand presentation.
Ad Mgrs would be lining up, far surpassing anything that a Flutie,
Clemons, Bosh, Carter, Gilmour, Haliday, Wells, Clark, or any
other Argo, Blue Jay, or Maple Leaf player has achieved

According to a friend who is in advertising, many Global companies
with a high domestic (Cdn) presence would jump at a DeGuzman/DeRosario
opportunity - it would be Gretzky/Weir like levels with similar $$$.
Ford, CIBC and Air Canada were all mentioned as those are ad campaigns
he has worked on with athletes

The side bar, from a advertising perspective, would also be the appeal
to the footie fan who is not a TFC/MLS fan that is Toronto/Ontario/Canada resident

I'm pretty sure I've butchered the ad lingo/logic, but the main point was
the options available to them would be far greater than any other
contemporary player in any of the more "mainstream" T-O pro teams.

and the enormity of their impact upon TFC, local football and MLS ....

Professor I agree with you 100%. I'd also point out that something like this may be required to get TFC ratings moving. Remember the Jays average $250K/game in TV revenue, this would be $7.5 million/year for TFC, well worth the cost of some DP dollars (assuming it works of course, which I think it would with these two).

Does MLSE have the guts to go for a Beckham-style business plan?

ilikemusic
08-23-2008, 05:26 PM
Im seriously beginning to get the impression Mo and JC are just a couple of chickens running around with their heads cut off. They see DeRo and JDG wednesday and think 'hey, we could use these guys'. What? You hadnt even looked at them yet?

Then theres the Ruiz deal. More trades for players who dont want to be here. Does Mo even talk to these guys before making the deal? :noidea:

:confused:

The Oz
08-23-2008, 08:49 PM
DeRo is a complete possibility, he would love to come here and play, and we're are in the way of getting grass so it could happen. JDG is prolly never gonna come to TFC while he is in his prime cause he really is too good for us.

James17930
08-23-2008, 09:44 PM
I love DeRo, but, if I'm not mistaken, it's his fault he's not here.

Didn't he sign that four year contract with Houston after TFC had been announced? Meaning, if he wanted to come here, he shouldn't have committed so long to Houston. I think he just assumed MLS would make it happen if he asked to be traded here, but of course, why would Houston get rid of him?

So he kind of made his own bed on that one. Now we're all going to have to wait.

Or -- it could be an issue with the turf. I guess we'll find out when his contract's up.

Bloor West FC
08-23-2008, 09:53 PM
Who doesn't want those two!!!! It would be an awesome addition!!

Shakes McQueen
08-23-2008, 10:27 PM

Hopefully by the time De Guzman will be ready to consider MLS, BMO will have grass. Same with DeRo.

- Scott

Keegan
08-23-2008, 11:54 PM
hahah I laughed out loud. Carver really hasn't a clue.

DE GUZMAN? Does TFC have 15 million euros lying around!?!?

Really lets be realistic. De Guzman is the best Canadian player of all time at only 27 years old. He was named player of the year on a team that had the best second half in LA LIGA without scoring a goal! Plus my Spanish friend who is a fan of Murcia told me Barcelona and Real Madrid are after him (apparently).

Are TFC a big enough club to fend off interest from Barca and Real Madrid?!?!

lol, if not then lets switch our attention to Yaya Toure haha

Keegan
08-23-2008, 11:55 PM
DeRo is a complete possibility, he would love to come here and play, and we're are in the way of getting grass so it could happen. JDG is prolly never gonna come to TFC while he is in his prime cause he really is too good for us.

Julian De Guzman will suit up for TFC at age 33. That is my prediction after the 2014 World Cup he will sign for us. He will still be the best player in the MLS at that age.

SilverSamurai
08-24-2008, 12:11 AM
hahah I laughed out loud. Carver really hasn't a clue.

DE GUZMAN? Does TFC have 15 million euros lying around!?!?

Really lets be realistic. De Guzman is the best Canadian player of all time at only 27 years old. He was named player of the year on a team that had the best second half in LA LIGA without scoring a goal! Plus my Spanish friend who is a fan of Murcia told me Barcelona and Real Madrid are after him (apparently).

Are TFC a big enough club to fend off interest from Barca and Real Madrid?!?!

lol, if not then lets switch our attention to Yaya Toure haha
Madrid and Barcelona? For real!?
Hold crap that would do wonders for Canadian footy! I would run out and get a Madrid or Barcelona kit the day he signs!

I can see JDG coming back when he has a year or 2 left in him. He's mentioned in interviews that he'd like to retire here.
Now about that grass...

Keegan
08-24-2008, 12:13 AM
Madrid and Barcelona? For real!?
Hold crap that would do wonders for Canadian footy! I would run out and get a Madrid or Barcelona kit the day he signs!

I can see JDG coming back when he has a year or 2 left in him. He's mentioned in interviews that he'd like to retire here.
Now about that grass...

He is definitely good enough for those teams. There really isn't a flaw in his game. We have seen his attacking flair, pace, moves, dribbling and CANNON boot. He scores with BOTH FEET, heads the ball. There really isn't a flaw in his game. AND GET THIS.... he is an EVEN BETTER defensive midfielder.

SilverSamurai
08-24-2008, 12:18 AM
He is definitely good enough for those teams. There really isn't a flaw in his game. We have seen his attacking flair, pace, moves, dribbling and CANNON boot. He scores with BOTH FEET, heads the ball. There really isn't a flaw in his game. AND GET THIS.... he is an EVEN BETTER defensive midfielder.

If either ended up signing him, it would take Canadian footy to a brand new level. Not only is he the 1st Canadian to play in La Liga, but also the 1st to play on a team of that caliber. It would do wonders for the game in this country, not to mention for HIS game.
It would open new doors for kids in this country and give them a Canadian footy player to look up to. The CSA would be stupid to not promote him but even if they didn't (and we all know they probably wouldn't) either of those giant clubs would end up promoting him.

Keegan
08-24-2008, 12:24 AM
If either ended up signing him, it would take Canadian footy to a brand new level. Not only is he the 1st Canadian to play in La Liga, but also the 1st to play on a team of that caliber. It would do wonders for the game in this country, not to mention for HIS game.
It would open new doors for kids in this country and give them a Canadian footy player to look up to. The CSA would be stupid to not promote him but even if they didn't (and we all know they probably wouldn't) either of those giant clubs would end up promoting him.

Deportivo is still a BIG club. And he should already be a player kids look up to.

SilverSamurai
08-24-2008, 12:28 AM
Deportivo is still a BIG club. And he should already be a player kids look up to.
Big, but not on the same level as Madrid or Barcelona.
I agree he should be a household name here, but well the CSA doesn't market him.
He should be the face of Canadian footy!

Keegan
08-24-2008, 12:31 AM
Big, but not on the same level as Madrid or Barcelona.
I agree he should be a household name here, but well the CSA doesn't market him.
He should be the face of Canadian footy!

The CSA does market him actually. I mean he was on the poster for the Jamaica game. I think the CANADIAN MEDIA is at fault, not everything is the CSA's fault as much as we wish it would be. What should the CSA do though? Have De Guzman commercials? THEY HAVE NO MONEY, we need to get some from our governments hands first.

SilverSamurai
08-24-2008, 12:38 AM
The CSA does market him actually. I mean he was on the poster for the Jamaica game. I think the CANADIAN MEDIA is at fault, not everything is the CSA's fault as much as we wish it would be. What should the CSA do though? Have De Guzman commercials? THEY HAVE NO MONEY, we need to get some from our governments hands first.
I've seen the poster, but it would help if they had what club he played for and if they added the something along the lines of "1st Canadian to play in Top Spanish League" or like it.
Nah TV wouldn't be good, but he seems like a humble guy as he does regularly talk to the footy media here.
IMO he should be the national team captain. Stalteri had his time. Time to pass the torch.

Keegan
08-24-2008, 12:52 AM
I've seen the poster, but it would help if they had what club he played for and if they added the something along the lines of "1st Canadian to play in Top Spanish League" or like it.
Nah TV wouldn't be good, but he seems like a humble guy as he does regularly talk to the footy media here.
IMO he should be the national team captain. Stalteri had his time. Time to pass the torch.

Agreed on the captain comment. He has worn the armband for Depor. A true honour for a black player (spain is a pretty racist country) FROM CANADA who isn't fully fluent in Spanish to wear the armband.

Markham_RPB
08-24-2008, 12:56 AM
Not sure if it has been posted or not.
But De Rosario is under contract untill 2010.

Now what can we trade for him to Houston is the real question ?

T_Mizz
08-24-2008, 09:08 AM
This is the same as the Leafs head coach (don't know who he is I'm a sens fan) saying I'd like to have Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin and Alexander Ovechkin