PDA

View Full Version : Have we ever fielded the same squad twice?

Jimmy The Saint
08-22-2008, 11:55 AM
Look everyone here bitches and whines about this payer and that player; new guy shows up and everyone screams "YAY" and then he wiffs a ball and we want his head.

I hate that we sold Edu. Now there's rumours of selling Wynne. Who's next? Brennan? Robbo? Ibbe? Apparently no one is safe...

Can we actually play even a remotely similar squad one game to the next and see what the actual potential is? I don't think we played the same squad twice this year, even when we were winning. Injuries aside, we need to have the team actually play together for a few games without adding/subtracting players every match before we can judge, truly, how bad/good they are.

END RANT.

Anyone else here think this is ridiculous?

Ossington Mental Youth
08-22-2008, 12:01 PM
i thik this rant is a bit ridiculous.
-the team has been growing (ie players coming, leaving).
-Players get injured, get red cards
-Players are always going to leave the MLS to go to better clubs/leagues

You do have a bit of a point to a certain extent in the sense that Carvers "those that play well, will play the next game' ploy isnt necessarily the best policy.

Outside of that the players have been signed, for the most part, because they have the needed talent to play a position. They practice together so they should have a general idea of each others nuances (granted playing together in a game is way better for that). The MLS cap does not allow for depth in the sense that you are not going to be able to have a full team with talent for 2.3 million dollars (unless youre the Revs and have a horseshoe up your ass).

Ossington Mental Youth
08-22-2008, 12:02 PM
PS we are in our second year.
How many of these guys were on our team in year one?

rocker
08-22-2008, 12:04 PM
it would be interesting to see what combo of players has played together the most.
you would probably find that 6-8 guys have played together a lot this season. naturally it's rare to have the same starting lineup every game due to cards and injuries. but to have a regular core is a good thing too.

The Pope
08-22-2008, 12:15 PM
I hate that we sold Edu. Now there's rumours of selling Wynne.

I must have been sleeping, where did this come from?

Ossington Mental Youth
08-22-2008, 12:18 PM
ach, some article that showed up on soccer365 with no teams mentioned.
I wouldnt stress it.

joel
08-22-2008, 12:19 PM
booohooooo!

booohoooo!

poooopoooo!!

Jimmy The Saint
08-22-2008, 12:35 PM
I know it's our second year, but the transfers in and out of this club are on a game to game basis! I know we don't have the same team as we did last year, but we don't even have the same team as we did last game, or the game before that.

They can't even depend on who their team mates are from one game to the next.

canadaneedsmusic
08-22-2008, 12:40 PM
I agree that it is ridiculous how often our line up changes, I'm sure Carver thinks so too, but I don't think it's anyones fault, it's a combination of things. Stupid red cards, MLS not planning around international FIFA dates, and MO trying to get the best team on the field. Put all of that together and it's hard to keep the same XI together week to week.

NateDoGG
08-22-2008, 12:44 PM
if we sell wynne then we are stupid.

im gettin sick of this signing players and getting rid of them, i dont believe in that, i believe in sticking with ur team

if john "blame it on the refs" carver ever gets an idea of a solid starting 11 we may actually start to get back 2 back wins every now n then......

lets just be honest, John Carver is not the right coach for toronto fc in the mls....................... i have never felt comfortable with him behind the bench, i dont agree with his tactics, his actics, his squad rotation and starting 11 selections... and all he ever does is blame EVERYTHING on the refs, EVERYTHING!!!!!

tfc2007
08-22-2008, 01:01 PM
Look everyone here bitches and whines about this payer and that player; new guy shows up and everyone screams "YAY" and then he wiffs a ball and we want his head.

I hate that we sold Edu. Now there's rumours of selling Wynne. Who's next? Brennan? Robbo? Ibbe? Apparently no one is safe...

Can we actually play even a remotely similar squad one game to the next and see what the actual potential is? I don't think we played the same squad twice this year, even when we were winning. Injuries aside, we need to have the team actually play together for a few games without adding/subtracting players every match before we can judge, truly, how bad/good they are.

END RANT.

Anyone else here think this is ridiculous?

their isn't rummors of us selling wynne. their is rummors of teams intrested in him, just because they are intrested doesnt mean we will sell him.

Bobo
08-22-2008, 01:01 PM
Same guys who curse Mo for lack of activity?

Jimmy The Saint
08-22-2008, 02:43 PM
I'm just frustrated with trying to keep up with a team that makes more roster changes than a 3-month old gets diaper changes...

I_AM_CANADIAN
08-22-2008, 02:44 PM
We played the same squad for the back to back RSL and Kansas City games, which was about the only time we had our full team healthy... And we looked fairly amazing.

ben_vw
08-22-2008, 03:36 PM
Beat FC Dallas 4-0, went to New England with the same team and lost 3-0.

BrianW
08-22-2008, 03:45 PM
Colorado and Kansas City back in June was the last time the starting 11 were unchanged. There was actually a stretch of six straight games back in April-May.

The back 4 (Wynne/Velez/Marshall/Brennan) has played together 13 times. The midfield group of Ricketts/Robinson/Edu/Robert/Guevara were together 9 times.

The leaders at each position:
Sutton: 18 games
Wynne: 19 games
Velez: 22 games
Marshall: 17 games
Brennan: 20 games
Ricketts: 19 games
Robinson: 22 games
Edu: 13 games
Robert: 19 games
Guevara: 14 games
Dichio: 12 games

This includes all MLS games and all Canadian Championship games other than the Canada Day game which I haven't found a lineup for.

I_AM_CANADIAN
08-22-2008, 03:57 PM
Beat FC Dallas 4-0, went to New England with the same team and lost 3-0.
That Dallas game is one I'll never forget, what a great day, sun was shining and the goals were flying in! :cool:

Dirk Diggler
08-22-2008, 03:57 PM
I'm glad Mo is finally making changes. With the exception of waiving Laurent Robert for an apparent lack of effort, he has made the correct moves. It has become quite obvious that the status quo will mean shit results so why stick with something that is proven to be ineffective? I'm not too keen on the quality of guys that he is bringing in (Carlos Ruiz for one, as I think we should be bringing in young guys with potential, not floppers who have lost the scoring touch) but atleast he is making an effort.

Also, I'm glad that he has sold Edu for a cool $5 million and there are rumours about Wynne as well. The way I see it, these are the only two guys who we know will have any sort of interest from Europe so the point about selling Brennan, Robbo and Ibbe is just stupid since those guys are either too old or too unproven. If the right offer comes along for Wynne (meanining either equal to or greater than $5 million) I hope Mo pulls the trigger once more without heistation. Not saying that Edu or Wynne are poor players (I think Edu is by the way) but their presence hardly made a difference in our results so we might as well cash in through them.