PDA

View Full Version : Interest in Wynne

jocut
08-22-2008, 09:09 AM
http://www.soccer365.com/mls/story_22808143542.php
Hey guys don't know if anyones seen this.

Shaughno
08-22-2008, 09:11 AM
Good for him.

I hope he realizes that he'll have to seriously step up certain aspects of his game to cut it in Europe. His speed will be much less of a factor there.

Flipityflu
08-22-2008, 09:18 AM
sorry, we have already given up our quota to Europe this season. unpack them bags Marvell.

of course, he will probably be gone by next season though.

Nuvinho
08-22-2008, 09:19 AM
speaking of work permits..........did Edu get his???

Shaughno
08-22-2008, 09:20 AM
speaking of work permits..........did Edu get his???

I haven't seen news on it anywhere.

tfcleeds
08-22-2008, 09:21 AM
Yep...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/r/rangers/7567198.stm

Shaughno
08-22-2008, 09:24 AM
^^ :lol:

So trader Mo saw Edu wasn't cutting it here anymore, and started shopping him around. Next thing you know we have a cool $5mil coming our way. :lol:

Johnston had recommended the player, who has six caps, to the Glasgow club.

Nuvinho
08-22-2008, 09:26 AM
now we have Mo Money, Mo Money (no pun intended......well maybe)

Nuvinho
08-22-2008, 09:34 AM
more stuff on the transfer for Edu

http://www.rangers.premiumtv.co.uk/page/Home/0,,5,00.html

Don Julio
08-22-2008, 09:54 AM
Edu for Grass, Wynne for a roof!

Seriously, though.. Wynne would get eaten alive in Europe.

Pachuco
08-22-2008, 10:03 AM

that's a dumb comment. Chris Pozniak plays in Europe for crying out loud. Europe is a BIG place, I am sure there is more then 10 leagues that Wynne could play in where he wouldn't get eaten alive.

JonO
08-22-2008, 10:03 AM

You never know... he has the natural ability (good speed and strong in the air) that with the right coach he could be something.... As he is right now, I would agree with you though

I_AM_CANADIAN
08-22-2008, 10:07 AM
As much as I'd miss Wynne, if we built a roof or a proper north stand with the transfer fee I wouldn't complain.

Billy the kid
08-22-2008, 10:09 AM
The article says he doesn't have the ratio of U.S. games played in order to get a work permit. How many games does he need? Are they talking national team games?

Shaughno
08-22-2008, 10:14 AM
Yeah for the UK they have a rule where you have to be an exceptional talent, ie Messi, or a certain number of national team appearances to warrant the Visa.

I_AM_CANADIAN
08-22-2008, 10:14 AM
The article says he doesn't have the ratio of U.S. games played in order to get a work permit. How many games does he need? Are they talking national team games?
Yeah, that's it. I don't know exactly how it works, but when you get a work permit for a player in Championship Manager (on the computer...) it works the same way.;)

Billy the kid
08-22-2008, 10:19 AM
I learned something new today. If I'd been doing work, I wouldn't have learned anything. There's a lesson there I think.

Thanks for the clarification.

LucaGol
08-22-2008, 10:20 AM
Wow...who are we the Arsenal of MLS?...(aside from the attractive football)...selling our players wherever and whenever.

Shaughno
08-22-2008, 10:21 AM
I learned something new today. If I'd been doing work, I wouldn't have learned anything. There's a lesson there I think.

Thanks for the clarification.

Damn right there is. Less work and more footy/footy talk equals more knowledge acquired. :lol:

brad
08-22-2008, 10:31 AM
I'd be more worried if Attakora hadn't been showing the promise he has been. I'm really looking forward to seeing him in person to get a better idea of where he is at.

Don Julio
08-22-2008, 11:38 AM
that's a dumb comment. Chris Pozniak plays in Europe for crying out loud. Europe is a BIG place, I am sure there is more then 10 leagues that Wynne could play in where he wouldn't get eaten alive.

Agreed. "In Europe" is what I typed, not what I meant. To be fair, the article isn't talking about him making the jump to the Danish 2nd division, though.

denime
08-22-2008, 11:39 AM

or North Stands ,whatever MLS like it more.

Jimmy The Saint
08-22-2008, 11:42 AM
Keep Wynne in here dammit.

For fucks sake this team will never get anywhere if we keep selling our players...

Draracle
08-22-2008, 11:43 AM
if Wynne gets a little better ball sense and some more confidence and control when he is in tight and not running, then he will rip it up in Europe. His pace, and what he can do at pace is fantastic. It is when he has to slow down that he has trouble. I think he will probably make a Euro team. Hopefully it is someplace good, I would hate to loose him to a second tier league.

Derko
08-22-2008, 11:47 AM
I'd be more worried if Attakora hadn't been showing the promise he has been. I'm really looking forward to seeing him in person to get a better idea of where he is at.

My daughter and Attakora attended school together in Caledon, I've met him a few times, he's a good kid and has a good head.:canada:

boban
08-22-2008, 11:47 AM
Keep Wynne in here dammit.

For fucks sake this team will never get anywhere if we keep selling our players...
Welcome to the world of MLS.
You better get used to it quickly.
Since we are supporters of a team playing in a 3rd tier league it should come as no surprise that the better players will be poached by the upper tier leagues. The sooner one accepts this, the happier one will be.

boban
08-22-2008, 11:49 AM
if Wynne gets a little better ball sense and some more confidence and control when he is in tight and not running, then he will rip it up in Europe. His pace, and what he can do at pace is fantastic. It is when he has to slow down that he has trouble. I think he will probably make a Euro team. Hopefully it is someplace good, I would hate to loose him to a second tier league.
We are 3rd tier. That would be a good move to go to a 2nd tier league for him.

LucaGol
08-22-2008, 11:50 AM
Since we are supporters of a team playing in a 3rd tier league it should come as no surprise that the better players will be poached by the upper tier leagues. The sooner one accepts this, the happier one will be.

Yes, but we appear to want to sell more early...that's the difference...

(not really putting up a real argument here...just more of an observation)

Look at better prospects around the league that are even older (or close to the same age) as Wynne and Edu....

Robbie Rogers
Stuart Holden
Sascha Kljestan

Still all in the MLS....and no really rumours for them being on the outs.

Dub Narcotic
08-22-2008, 11:52 AM
Agreed. "In Europe" is what I typed, not what I meant. To be fair, the article isn't talking about him making the jump to the Danish 2nd division, though.

Wynne's held his own against far better competition than MLS at the Copa America and the Olympics. He'll be fine in Europe (home of such mega-talents as Colin Samuel and Andy Welsh), as long as he isn't expected to start for Tottenham on his first day or something.

I think it would be a huge blow to lose Wynne, and I'm not sure why so many on this board have turned on a guy who plays hard every game and busts his ass getting up and down the flank. Our attack is far more dynamic when he joins in.

flatpicker
08-22-2008, 11:54 AM

that's the way it goes...

when I was at the Bristol Rovers game, I was talking with one of the supporters who had the exact same thing to say about their team.

Because they are in League One, all the quality players get sold to big clubs.
His beef was that the money did not get put back into the team... instead it was just a money maker for the owner.
So be thankful we have rules in MLS about spending on the team!!!

LucaGol
08-22-2008, 11:55 AM
Wynne's held his own against far better competition than MLS at the Copa America and the Olympics. He'll be fine in Europe (home of such mega-talents as Colin Samuel and Andy Welsh), as long as he isn't expected to start for Tottenham on his first day or something.

I think it would be a huge blow to lose Wynne, and I'm not sure why so many on this board have turned on a guy who plays hard every game and busts his ass getting up and down the flank. Our attack is far more dynamic when he joins in.

People have turned on him?...I don't think so........or Im too lazy to find the posts where ppl have.

Marvell Wynne for life :hump:

Draracle
08-22-2008, 11:57 AM
We are 3rd tier. That would be a good move to go to a 2nd tier league for him.

Sure would be... but if we have to loose him, I would rather loose him to a good team with a ton of cash.

boban
08-22-2008, 12:03 PM
Yes, but we appear to want to sell more early...that's the difference...

(not really putting up a real argument here...just more of an observation)

Look at better prospects around the league that are even older (or close to the same age) as Wynne and Edu....

Robbie Rogers
Stuart Holden
Sascha Kljestan

Still all in the MLS....and no really rumours for them being on the outs.
I wouldn't say that.
Rogers was in Heerenveen already and only came back last year.
Stuart Holden got the shit kicked out of him (literally) in England and figured its safer to play in the US.
As for Sasha, who knows.
But remember this, seeing as Mo was a star in both Rangers and Celtic, the man has contacts on that island that lead to quicker transfers. TFC could be the express route.

boban
08-22-2008, 12:04 PM
Sure would be... but if we have to loose him, I would rather loose him to a good team with a ton of cash.
Beggars can't be choosers.

poppamidnight
08-22-2008, 12:05 PM
Question:
The Maurice Edu money... some if it is stupilated that it needs to be spent in the next 365 days, correct???

(and of that theres some limit)....

...so technically, should we not wait till next year so we have (potentially) 2 years to spend edu/wynnetransfer money (since it's not a lump sum)...

...or am i incorrect here and theres no real cap on the amount out of the edu money we are allowed to spend over the next 365 days???
cuz if it's the latter,
wouldnt that be the best case scenario (potentially seeing BOTH field turf AND expanded seating for next year) if we also got something for Wynne this year?

Ossington Mental Youth
08-22-2008, 12:06 PM
18 months starting next season

DigzTFC!
08-22-2008, 12:14 PM
The worst news about this is the US will start calling him up regularly to help him get a work permit in Europe....he might not play, but watch him be being called more often.

Draracle
08-22-2008, 12:22 PM
Beggars can't be choosers.

we aren't beggars. And while you might be OK with loosing a player like Wynne to a team like Augsberg, I am not. If the goes to a team that will actually hold decent promise for his future, that is fine.

Ossington Mental Youth
08-22-2008, 12:31 PM
I wouldnt worry about losing him for a bit. Im sure Mo will find good back up when the time comes.

Billy the kid
08-22-2008, 12:37 PM
I'm not sure how much say the team has in the matter since the league owns the contract. I know we get a portion of proceeds but I doubt Mo could stop the league from selling Wynne if it chose to.

boban
08-22-2008, 12:37 PM
we aren't beggars.
Tell that to Mo.

And while you might be OK with loosing a player like Wynne to a team like Augsberg, I am not. If the goes to a team that will actually hold decent promise for his future, that is fine.
Well now you are just being silly. They don't have the money to do this.
But I accept the reality that a players will leave at some point.
Who do we have in our reserves to replace him is the question.

King Jeff
08-22-2008, 01:27 PM
The worst news about this is the US will start calling him up regularly to help him get a work permit in Europe....he might not play, but watch him be being called more often.

I think the work permit rules relate to appearances, not call-ups. However, in the past, I know that the National Team managers have written reference letters on a player's behalf. If Bradley were to write one about Wynne, he'd almost certainly be gone.

giambac
08-22-2008, 01:47 PM
Good for him.

I hope he realizes that he'll have to seriously step up certain aspects of his game to cut it in Europe. His speed will be much less of a factor there.

If Edu can attract a transfer fee of 5 million then Wynne should attract 10 million becasue he is twice as good.

boban
08-22-2008, 02:03 PM
If Edu can attract a transfer fee of 5 million then Wynne should attract 10 million becasue he is twice as good.
The market is based on what the buyer is willing to pay.
Not on ones ability.

ensco
08-22-2008, 03:09 PM
Remember last year, once the season was lost and we had all the injuries, Mo was playing Marvell in midfield?

I thought at the time Mo was "hiding" Marvell from the Euro scouts by doing that....I can't remember the game-by-game details, but I remember thinking that getting Marvell back in as a defender would have been pretty straightforward, if Mo had wanted it.

Ron Manager
08-22-2008, 03:28 PM
I wouldn't say that.
Rogers was in Heerenveen already and only came back last year.
Stuart Holden got the shit kicked out of him (literally) in England and figured its safer to play in the US.
As for Sasha, who knows.
But remember this, seeing as Mo was a star in both Rangers and Celtic, the man has contacts on that island that lead to quicker transfers. TFC could be the express route.

I don't know how much truth there is in TFC being 'the express route', but even the perception of this can be an attractive prospect when trying to sign young talent. Moving a player like Edu has benefits for us beyond money. Other young players see how we treat our guys. They see that Mo has contacts and can aid their development. They see the investment we are making in coaching and facilities and those things can be factors in choosing where to play.

CretanBull
08-22-2008, 03:33 PM
I don't think that he's good enough for Europe, but if someone offers us $5 million for him I'll help him pack.

profit89
08-22-2008, 03:39 PM
Wynne is terrible in terms of positional sense and foot skills, but great speed boy!

jloome
08-22-2008, 03:42 PM

And our defense is about 25% more porous when he's on the field. If he's such a great attacker move him to the midfield. His positioning choices are highly suspect and have cost us goals.

giambac
08-22-2008, 03:50 PM
The market is based on what the buyer is willing to pay.
Not on ones ability.

really,

And so your telling me that a team won't pay more for a better player?
why was Real Madrid willing to pay up to $100 million for C Ronaldo?

All I'm saying is Edu can fetch $5 m than Wynne can fetch $10M since EDU is twice as crapa s Wynne:noidea:

ensco
08-22-2008, 03:57 PM
really,

All I'm saying is Edu can fetch $5 m than Wynne can fetch $10M since EDU is twice as crapa s Wynne:noidea:

What would you pay for each of these lottery tickets?

1) Edu-lotto: could pay off in 3 or 4 different ways if the player develops skills he has already shown, but has not shown consistently (Edu could be holding MF, sweeper, central defender or AM, depending on how/if he develops)

2) Wynne-lotto: pays off only one way - he is a "one trick" pony whose only real asset is speed - he would need to start showing skills (crossing, positioning) he's never demonstrated before, to change this

If Edu's worth $5 million, then Wynne today is only worth half or a third of that - of course, if Marvell develops, then that price would rise dramatically

By the way, the fact that Edu has been "mailing it in" for TFC this season obviously was understood in the marketplace, as the price didn't drop because of it - was Mo telling Edu to take it easy out there, I wonder?

bangersandmash
08-22-2008, 03:58 PM
really,

Sorry to jump in, but the market makes people desperate. Remember a few years ago there were almost no defencemen on the market so the leafs threw 5.4 million at McCabe? Rationally you always pay more for the better player but clubs that are desperate to fill a position will pay just about anything to fill it. Watch what happens when United don't get Berbatov (or look at their history of overspending to fill out their back four).

Smenge
08-22-2008, 04:05 PM
I agree with much of what has been said here, but I cannot help but feel miffed that MO's propensity to trade for draft choices seems to be a fucking waste of time when the top young players plan to move within a year or two. It seems you need to mix the draft choices with on-going free agent signings or the team will never improve.

boban
08-22-2008, 04:08 PM
really,

And all I am saying is you don't understand the market.
Who gives a fuck what Real or any club for that matter was WILLING to pay.
What matters is what one club DID pay.
Furthermore, you are talking nonsense. What I am saying is that there is no direct co-relation to how good a player is to what price they sell for.
Freddie Adu is way better than Edu, but he only went for not even half ($2m) what Edu went for. Wynne will fetch what the buying team is willing to spend at that time. PERIOD!!!!!!

boban
08-22-2008, 04:13 PM
By the way, the fact that Edu has been "mailing it in" for TFC this season obviously was understood in the marketplace, as the price didn't drop because of it - was Mo telling Edu to take it easy out there, I wonder?
Personally I think Mo hosed the Rangers and got them to overpay on this deal.
When you are friends you are less likely to squabble. ;)

bangersandmash
08-22-2008, 04:13 PM
It seems you need to mix the draft choices with on-going free agent signings or the team will never improve.

Can I add to that you need a stable nucleus of a team? Mo has kept one veteran (from last year) in each part of the field - Sutton, Brennan, Robinson and Dichio for the team to gel around. We're a small-market club. Keeping a healthy nucleus for the incoming newbies and free-agents to look to will be critical for us to grow.

We've only seen one in-between-season draft and it looks like Mo did ok - James and Edwards. I'd be more concerned if Mo was flogging brennan and robinson on the open market (oh crap, I just started another robinson thread, didn't I.... look! over there! boobies!)

j

gtaguy
08-22-2008, 05:53 PM
oh baby heres comes the roof we have been looking for....

LucaGol
08-22-2008, 06:17 PM
really,

Your logic is wrong.

The market and thus monetary value is controlled by the buyer, not the seller....unless of course your operating a monopoly.

This is a market just like any other....it is controlled by economic theory.

ensco
08-22-2008, 06:40 PM
Personally I think Mo hosed the Rangers and got them to overpay on this deal.
When you are friends you are less likely to squabble. ;)

He schmoozed them for months on this. Good point. I think this also.

NF-FC
08-22-2008, 09:58 PM
i'd estimate that wynne is worth 3 million, not nearly enough for a roof. we need to realize how lucky we got on the edu deal and move on