PDA

View Full Version : Remember August 24th 1814

Kooper
08-22-2008, 06:23 AM
On August 24th 1814 Red Coats of the English Continental Army took Washington DC and proceeded to burn the White House and other government buildings. This act was done in retaliation for the invasion of York in 1813.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burning_of_Washington

Happy 194th anniversary. Just something to think about the day before the New England Revolution Game.

ensco
08-22-2008, 07:07 AM
August 24 is also the day Vesuvius erupted in 79 AD

Too bad we don't play on the 24th, though

DVS
08-22-2008, 07:15 AM
unfortunately I would say the states won the war of 1812 :(

Fort York Redcoat
08-22-2008, 07:17 AM
They invaded. We are a country still. They lost.

DVS
08-22-2008, 07:20 AM
They invaded. We are a country still. They lost.

This is true. However I'm still pissed on the land Canada gave up in the west coast. Canada should have some of Washington state for goddsakes.

Again an argument that could go on forever

Cashcleaner
08-22-2008, 07:21 AM
That wiki article is bullshit, Kooper. Just read the anti-Canadian rhetoric on the discussion page and you can see the obvious encroachment of historical revisionism.

Fort York Redcoat
08-22-2008, 07:28 AM
The British really over extended themselves on counter campaign but the result was that both nations went away with pride. If it went another way our countries relations would have been different today.

Cashcleaner
08-22-2008, 07:42 AM
^ True dat. Though I really think Michigan Territory should have been held and given over to the natives as Tecumseh had petitioned and agreed on with Brock and Fitzgibbons. The Shawnee and their allies saved our collective asses on more than one occasion and we owe them big-time.

Fort York Redcoat
08-22-2008, 08:01 AM
That would have been an interesting development. I'm a bit cynical as to how long that would have stayed in their hands, though.

RealG-TFC
08-22-2008, 08:45 AM
Let's take the Upper Peninsula of Michigan! I can has rights to Lake Michigan?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Upper_Peninsula_of_Michigan

I_AM_CANADIAN
08-22-2008, 09:00 AM

Unless you're American, I've no idea how you came to that conclusion.

Revisionist historians have worked tons of overtime trying to make it seem like Americans won, but hey, that's why revisionist history is always complete and utter BS, all it is is people trying to twist history with the flimsiest of evidence to suit their point of view. For instance, the other day I was reading a book that claimed it was Australian machine gunners that took down the Red Baron, and claimed that said book presented irrefutable evidence... Which proved to be nothing but interviews of the thirty or so Australian gunners who all claim to have fired the shot that killed the Red Baron.

Also, Wikipedia is useless for anything but checking facts that can't have a viewpoint forced upon them, like dates, etc.

mclaren
08-22-2008, 09:06 AM
Speaking of revisionist history:

http://web.syr.edu/%7Emcatwate/u571.jpg

Don Julio
08-22-2008, 09:07 AM
Fuck Washington state.

bangersandmash
08-22-2008, 09:08 AM
On August 24th 1814 Red Coats of the English Continental Army took Washington DC and proceeded to burn the White House and other government buildings. This act was done in retaliation for the invasion of York in 1813.

We should petition the league to have TFC play DC United every August 24th. The winner of the game gets to set fire to a model of the other team's stadium.

TFC Via Buffalo
08-22-2008, 09:28 AM
We invented the missionary position.

You're welcome.

H Bomb
08-22-2008, 09:42 AM

You're welcome.

Yeah you invented democracy too right?:smilielol5:

Won't be too long before you'll have invented water.

I_AM_CANADIAN
08-22-2008, 09:50 AM

You're welcome.
:D

OK, that's worth something, I admit...

TFC Via Buffalo
08-22-2008, 10:42 AM
Yeah you invented democracy too right?:smilielol5:

Won't be too long before you'll have invented water.

It's just a quote from the movie Talladega Nights.

We also invented French Fries, Chinese Food, and nachos.

RealG-TFC
08-22-2008, 10:54 AM
^^ And sushi!

sWS-FoXbjVI

Blizzard
08-22-2008, 10:57 AM
Speaking of revisionist history:

http://web.syr.edu/%7Emcatwate/u571.jpg

Don't get me started on that piece of crap! Ridiculous garbage!!!

MFBODD
08-22-2008, 11:13 AM

You're welcome.

All I gotta say is thank you for revolutionizing the chicken wing!!

I'm being serious here... I have an addiction to them.

H Bomb
08-22-2008, 11:15 AM
This is the USA appreciation thread now eh?

Hmmmmm, thank you for Savannah's women

Cashcleaner
08-22-2008, 08:52 PM
That would have been an interesting development. I'm a bit cynical as to how long that would have stayed in their hands, though.

Well, the idea was for it was to be native-run but also a registered protectorate under the crown, so I'm guessing there would be some British control over it's frontiers and that in itself may have kept the yanks from trying to retake it later on. Prevost (did I spell that right) was the one who put the kibosh on it, though.

Oldtimer
08-22-2008, 09:24 PM
All I gotta say is thank you for revolutionizing the chicken wing!!

I'm being serious here... I have an addiction to them.

You could add New York fries and Chicago deep dish pizza to the list. mmmmm

Richard D
08-22-2008, 09:28 PM
the missionary position is nothing to be proud of... my dog however gave us doggy style which is far superior...

Richard D
08-22-2008, 09:29 PM
we also invented the jamaican beef patty... in jamaica its only known as a patty...

Maple Leaf Red
08-22-2008, 10:12 PM
And comments like this show why Canada needs to do a better job of teacahing it's history and stop allowing others to push whatever skewed or outright BS version they want.

At worst it was a winning draw for the British Empire.

Detroit_TFC
08-22-2008, 10:59 PM
This is true. However I'm still pissed on the land Canada gave up in the west coast. Canada should have some of Washington state for goddsakes.

54-40 or Fight! James K. Polk, the Napoleon of the Stump, assured America that the Pacific Northwest was ours. And so it was....at the 49th parallel.

WTF! I am totally voting for the Whigs now.

MFBODD
08-22-2008, 11:25 PM

The Alaska shite it a big piss off too...just wait until the ice goes bye bye in the Arctic and then the games will begin all over again.

MFBODD
08-22-2008, 11:30 PM
You could add New York fries and Chicago deep dish pizza to the list. mmmmm

Well, I was being Buffalo specific, but while we're at it... Geno's Steaks (cheesesteak) and white ricotta pizza (NYC/NJ specific).

Keystone FC
08-23-2008, 04:47 AM
And comments like this show why Canada needs to do a better job of teacahing it's history and stop allowing others to push whatever skewed or outright BS version they want.

At worst it was a winning draw for the British Empire.

Actually, the US needs to do a MUCH better job at seperating the truth from the fiction in reguards to history...which this will never happen. If this did happen I would think that there would be alot less of foreign bashing or at least people would have a specific reason for disliking a country instead of just 'they suck'.

iansmcl
08-23-2008, 08:09 AM
I've never understood why Canadians are proud that "we" burned down the White House.

Can anyone explain this to me?

Red Patch CA
08-23-2008, 09:53 AM
Hi.
The "we" in burning down the White House, refers to a Canadian conciousness that goes beyond the historical incident. Strictly speaking, Canada as a sovereign entity did not exist in 1812. However, the "idea" of Canada goes back much further than 1867. There were many steps in Canada's full sovereinty. Before 1867, there was the Union of the Canadas (1840, I think)containing Canada West and Canada East. This was, roughly speaking, Ontario and Quebec. Other increasingly autonomous bodies preceded that. Going in the other direction, it could be argued that Canada's full independence didn't start until the last legal reference was to our own Supreme Court and not the British House of Lords. This was, I believe, in 1931.

All of which is to say that, I believe that the "we" is appropriate.

I love it! A historical thread!:)

Hoping "we" burn New England later today.:canada: