PDA

View Full Version : Supplemental or Draft picks - Ruiz related

Ossington Mental Youth
08-21-2008, 07:13 PM
Ive seen we've traded one and ive seen else where that we traded the other.
Which is it?
Are we 100% certain its supplemental drafts?

Nuvinho
08-21-2008, 07:17 PM
straight from the mls site:

TRANSACTION: LA Galaxy sign midfielder Eddie Lewis and trade forward Carlos Ruiz to Toronto FC in exchange for a first and second round pick in the 2009 MLS Supplemental Draft and salary budget considerations.

Ossington Mental Youth
08-21-2008, 07:20 PM
sweet, even if hes shit we rinsed em

Chevy
08-21-2008, 07:23 PM
Yes, it is the Supplemental draft. earlier in the day the TFC Site (news section) stated that they were SuperDraft picks, but it has been changed.

I think that is where the confusion started.

kdzb
08-21-2008, 09:24 PM
I guess Mo got a great deal for Ruiz...LAG looks desperate to offload salaries and we profited on it.
If I remember correctly this year's Suplemental draft were a pass from Mo...then instead of tossing them for no reason next season it's better getting a good player of the Caliber of Ruiz for them.
I personally think that we made a good deal.

The Oz
08-21-2008, 09:41 PM
For sure I agree. Even if he's HORRIBLE, we didn't lose anything important. And if he's good we totally totally ripped them off. Owen Nolan style rip off lol.

Damien
08-21-2008, 09:45 PM
Mo skipped picking someone in this years supplemental draft... so we really cant loose!!! :)

MG42
08-21-2008, 09:57 PM
...Owen Nolan style rip off lol.

like Russ courtnall for John Kordic type ripoff!!

professor
08-22-2008, 12:56 AM
Mo skipped picking someone in this years supplemental draft... so we really cant loose!!! :)

He dumped our last three picks in the 2008 supp draft - rounds 2, 3 and 4.

James17930
08-22-2008, 01:49 AM
He dumped our last three picks in the 2008 supp draft - rounds 2, 3 and 4.

Yeah -- we still used the first pick to get . . . anyone remember?

professor
08-22-2008, 06:26 AM
iirc,
Xavier Balc, Ohio State

Nuvinho
08-22-2008, 06:34 AM
With having 3 first round picks, Mo was never going to use supplementary picks this coming draft.

BuSaPuNk
08-22-2008, 06:51 AM
Yeah you got a quaility striker for really nothing well done by Mo. Let's just hope that Ruiz and check his baggage at the door.

Sullivan
08-22-2008, 09:38 AM
With having 3 first round picks, Mo was never going to use supplementary picks this coming draft.

Agreed,
Contrary to the opinions of others, I respectfully will say that MoJo is no draft genius. Top 20 drafts are no brainers, usefull players. Mojo is just plain lazy when it comes to the NCAA - he didn't watch much at the combine either.

Lower picks, thats different. Look no further than the rosters of the Revs, Fire and Dallas and you'll see thier scouting paying off.

Damien
08-22-2008, 09:47 AM
Where's Xavier Balc again? He can be baggin groceries for all I care cuz he aint with TFC.

rocker
08-22-2008, 09:50 AM
Agreed,
Contrary to the opinions of others, I respectfully will say that MoJo is no draft genius. Top 20 drafts are no brainers, usefull players. Mojo is just plain lazy when it comes to the NCAA - he didn't watch much at the combine either.

Lower picks, thats different. Look no further than the rosters of the Revs, Fire and Dallas and you'll see thier scouting paying off.

there's a slight difference tho -- those rosters have Americans from the draft because those players count as domestics. You would never see TFC's back end of the roster taken up with lower drafted Americans, because that would be taking up INT spots.

Mo's been criticized for not using his later draft spots, but in reality there's no point. If he uses all his picks on Americans, he ties up the rights of guys he cannot use due to roster limits, and who are worth barely nothing if traded back to American teams. he could draft Canadians in the later rounds, but most of those Canadians will never be selected by the American sides anyways (since they count as INT), and Mo can just invite them to training camp if he so desires anyways.

Ossington Mental Youth
08-22-2008, 09:57 AM
Thats not to mention the fact that how many actually good players came from the most recent supplemental drafts.
I can think of 2 or 3 off hand. Even then its safe to say they were a gamble.
Its hardly booming with talent.

TheRenter
08-22-2008, 11:00 AM
straight from the mls site:

TRANSACTION: LA Galaxy sign midfielder Eddie Lewis and trade forward Carlos Ruiz to Toronto FC in exchange for a first and second round pick in the 2009 MLS Supplemental Draft and salary budget considerations.

anyone know what is exactly meant by this? thanks in advance!

peace

Ossington Mental Youth
08-22-2008, 12:19 PM
means someones taking on part of his salary

TheRenter
08-22-2008, 01:26 PM
means someones taking on part of his salary

i would think that since he is now on our club, that would go without saying, so does that statement then mean that the gals will be paying part of his salary as well?

thanks again

Ossington Mental Youth
08-22-2008, 02:09 PM
http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_ives/2008/08/a-closer-look-a.html
Full details here

TheRenter
08-22-2008, 05:44 PM
http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_ives/2008/08/a-closer-look-a.html
Full details here

thanks bud, wow...after reading those details, this was a steal for our club;...even if ruiz is to get hit by a bus on his way to BMO tomorrow...way 2 go Mo!

Yozzarian
08-23-2008, 12:56 PM
Has he shown up yet? I have a sinking feeling he may not even report.

Ossington Mental Youth
08-23-2008, 03:13 PM
thanks bud, wow...after reading those details, this was a steal for our club;...even if ruiz is to get hit by a bus on his way to BMO tomorrow...way 2 go Mo!

HAHAHA
we did rinse em.
Now if we couldnt only get Ruiz to actually play for us, HA