PDA

View Full Version : Supporter Groups Protest - Possible Death of BMO Field as SSS

Pages : 1 [2]

Dave67
06-13-2008, 11:29 AM
There are a fair number of TFC enlarged photos from moments to remember in the hallway upstairs where you pick up season tickets (if you have them left at BMO). These should be duplicated and hung in other fan accessible areas of BMO.

TO DEVILS
06-20-2008, 10:35 AM
Lets not forget this...we need to have our black tshirts ready for this game.

Oscar Wilde once said: Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes.

Let's not look back at this opportunity as an experience that we need to build upon, but rather grab a hold of it.

I rather look back and say i was wrong, than look back and be sorry.

greatwhitenorf
06-21-2008, 10:20 AM
After reading the recent Globe story on expansion to 30,000 seats, need to make sure that the stadiim remains soccer specific and gets a grass pitch. Protest now and pre-empt an Argo move.

To be even more pro-active, find out who your local city councillor is and write a nice, calm letter stating that you, your family, friends and neighbours would all prefer to see the stadium remain soccer specific.

When you get the form letter response thanking you for your input, send another asking for the councillor's views on the matter.

Some people think that a move to BMO Field will save that game in this city. Fact is, once the NFL is here - and it's only a matter of time - only one brand of football will exist. Why jeopardize the great success of soccer for a maybe?

When you go to the game today or sometime soon, try to discuss this situation with someone nearby, whether friends or strangers. Lot of people at games are often attending using friends tickets and, while they enjoy soccer, are unaware of the political battle that has to be fought. Enlist them.

Roogsy
06-21-2008, 10:36 AM
Lets not forget this...we need to have our black tshirts ready for this game.

Oscar Wilde once said: Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes.

Let's not look back at this opportunity as an experience that we need to build upon, but rather grab a hold of it.

I rather look back and say i was wrong, than look back and be sorry.

I agree. I know that we are negotiating a fine line between voicing our opinion and beating a dead horse...but every time we think the issue is dead, it raises it's head once again.

It needs to be forced into obscurity so that it never lives again.

StandUpIfYouHateChelsea
06-26-2008, 04:44 PM
HERES A CHANT :Stand up , IF you hate the argos (repeated 4 times)...stad up stand up (repeat)

Jack
06-26-2008, 05:16 PM
HERES A CHANT :Stand up , IF you hate the argos (repeated 4 times)...stad up stand up (repeat)
I don't hate the Argos.

Just don't want them at BMO Field.

nfitz
06-27-2008, 12:53 AM
Stand up if you don't want the Argos would be better - no need to alienate the Argo fans ...

colman1860
06-29-2008, 12:35 AM
Do Argo fans want to move to BMO? Do they have a message board? Whats the sentiment from their side of things?

Bars92
06-29-2008, 07:39 PM
http://argofans.com/index.php

Laurie79
07-08-2008, 04:27 PM
And now all the black shirts will just look like very big 'allstar' supporters! lmfao what are the chances eh?

werewolf
07-08-2008, 04:29 PM
lets wear Claret and Blue instead, I know I am.

DOMIN8R
07-08-2008, 04:38 PM
Argofans.com was hacked on July 6th 2008 (http://www.argofans.com/)Argofans.com was hacked on July 6th 2008. Everything was lost from now to May 31st. I will be fixing this site as days go on should be complete mid July ...

Probably an irate TFC fan!

Wolfgang Mozart
07-12-2008, 12:53 PM
Question: I heard that the BMO field is ten yards short for CFL is this true?

I say we keep it as sss I wouldn't watch the CFL if you paid me... as well, The only time I'd wear a Argo's jersey would be to take out the trash... wait a minute, I wouldn't even do that...

lol.

Live and Die!

WM.

Wolfgang Mozart
07-12-2008, 12:53 PM
Question: I heard that the BMO field is ten yards short for CFL is this true?

I say we keep it as sss I wouldn't watch the CFL if you paid me... As well, the only time I'd wear a Argo's jersey would be to take out the trash... wait a minute, I wouldn't even do that...

lol.

Live and Die!

WM.

alexintoronto
07-12-2008, 07:01 PM
And now all the black shirts will just look like very big 'allstar' supporters! lmfao what are the chances eh?

Nah - the allstars are just part of the protest!

:canada:

Roogsy
07-12-2008, 07:05 PM
They're on our side! LOL!

105BallHats
07-14-2008, 10:17 AM
are black streamers on option? It would stand out a bit more, no?

b/c if we only got 30% buy-in to this plan we'd need the black to really stand out. It's possilbe that they instruct TVs to only focus on fans in sections with a lot of colour...

Shaughno
07-14-2008, 10:19 AM
Why worry about losing SSS status considering it has plastic grass to start with. It's not like Canada is losing a real grass SSS.

And maybe it the Argos do show up, additional seats could be added. And the dreaded children of the area could get tickets to games. And maybe bring their moms and maybe the team might start playing better in effort to get laid.

Look at it this way, if the Argos come in. There is 0% chance of getting grass.

105BallHats
07-14-2008, 04:27 PM
THE JERSEY's ARE BLACK!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA WE FUCKIN SUCK!

shaunsas
07-16-2008, 10:04 AM
Does no one remember when the argos actually played on the exhibition grounds and no one came to watch them there ? That earned the ex stadium the moniker 'mistake by the lake'. The field was almost exactly where BMO field is now !

Then FF a decade and a half, build the totally useless, terribly ugly, smear on the face of our city 'sky dome'... ppl went to see the dome then never returned there either... when the argos were winning titles with gretzky candy and the gang they were averaging 11 thousand... and those days are long gone.

Now they want to move back to the 'mistake by the lake'... why so they can't be a financially successful team on what would be their next home field ???

Fuck the argos... they should just fold... leave the only successful team and stadium that's still for the actual fans (not the corporate asswipes trading tickets to sign deals) alone.

Leave BMO for winter soccer leagues to develop the future of TFC players and Canadian minor soccer leagues and players with air domes over the pitch during the winter regardless if it's grass or turf. The government should pump the money for the argos needed BMO modifications into the CSA (Canadian Soccer Association). Support player development across the country ! You know, the one where the footie fans know the words to both national anthems of the league ! The Chicago trip was amazing and I was thrilled to be a part of that patriotic and respectful display.

If CFL lines are incorporated onto OUR turf, I hope someone burns it right out from under the feet of the argos on their first step onto the field.

Maybe they can move the blue jays to BMO too and we can then transform the dome into TFC land. At least TFC fans would fill that venue too !

The beautiful game doesn't include argos.... life shouldn’t include the argos… I know this isn’t supposed to be anti-argos but honestly… it’s the argos that are the reason this is being considered. They made their bed when they built the dome monstrosity, let them DIE in it.

toonarmy
07-16-2008, 04:05 PM
If you really want to make a statement you should boycott the game and not scalp your tickets. The south end being nearly empty will send a real message to management. All this protest is going to accomplish is to show management that you'll pay your money to see TFC either way. What do they care, as long as they're making money?

And I'm sure that most of the non-Toronto players will be happy that the supporter's groups are choosing to sit on their hands and not through shit at them.

canucker
07-17-2008, 08:38 AM
How likely is it that this will happen. There hasn't been any mention of this or rumours circulating in the papers. The Argos are still in the Dome for a couple more seasons at least.

I think if we're going to protest anything it should be to get real turf! Even though I think the FieldTurf that we have isn't a bad product, its apparent there are many negative perceptions of it out there and could be a reason we are not attracting and decent DP candidates.

The loss of BMO being a SSS is a big concern but why protest this at the game and make our fans look bad on national TV for an issue that may not even be a possibility of happening?!

Jack
07-17-2008, 10:35 AM
How likely is it that this will happen. There hasn't been any mention of this or rumours circulating in the papers. The Argos are still in the Dome for a couple more seasons at least.

I think if we're going to protest anything it should be to get real turf! Even though I think the FieldTurf that we have isn't a bad product, its apparent there are many negative perceptions of it out there and could be a reason we are not attracting and decent DP candidates.

The loss of BMO being a SSS is a big concern but why protest this at the game and make our fans look bad on national TV for an issue that may not even be a possibility of happening?!

The thing is, why do we need to put on a show? Are you a trained monkey who puts on a show for whoever asks you to?

I sing and chant and play my drum and make banners to support my team, not to get on TV.

I really don't think we're going to look bad on national TV and if we do, who cares? Anyone can tune into any TFC game on national TV to see what we look like on any given week. This game has no meaning. If we bring the same support to this game as we do to TFC games, it will just prove that people are there to get drunk and have a party for any reason, not for TFC.

I don't care about the MLS all-stars or West Ham and I wasn't even going to go to this match, but the protest against the Argos and the fact that the corporations running this thing don't respect and understand the supporters is a reason to go.

canucker
07-17-2008, 11:26 AM
The thing is, why do we need to put on a show? Are you a trained monkey who puts on a show for whoever asks you to?

I sing and chant and play my drum and make banners to support my team, not to get on TV.

I really don't think we're going to look bad on national TV and if we do, who cares? Anyone can tune into any TFC game on national TV to see what we look like on any given week. This game has no meaning. If we bring the same support to this game as we do to TFC games, it will just prove that people are there to get drunk and have a party for any reason, not for TFC.

I don't care about the MLS all-stars or West Ham and I wasn't even going to go to this match, but the protest against the Argos and the fact that the corporations running this thing don't respect and understand the supporters is a reason to go.

That still doesn't address the fact that the whole Argos thing is merely speculation at this point. Why not pick an issue that is actually having an affect on the team right now and address the FieldTurf issue?!

canucker
07-17-2008, 11:38 AM
But I do want to point out that I'm totally against the Argo expansion, but at this point its still just an idea that is swirling around.

Hopefully it doesn't happen. Just kind of think we should be focusing on issues that are affecting our team and its playing environment now in the present.

Jack
07-17-2008, 11:43 AM
The problem with the Argos thing is that we have to begin opposing it now. If we protest once it's a done deal, we accomplish nothing.

Blazer
07-17-2008, 12:08 PM
And my gut feeling is that such an announcement could be made in a split-second type of deal. No lead up or forewarning, just a straight announcement. By then, yes - it could be too late.

Dave67
07-17-2008, 12:10 PM
That still doesn't address the fact that the whole Argos thing is merely speculation at this point. Why not pick an issue that is actually having an affect on the team right now and address the FieldTurf issue?!

FWIW the points that you are making were made, made often, by other people (myself included) at the time this idea was pitched.

Blazer
07-17-2008, 12:13 PM
How much money does BMO actually save as a result of the turf we currently have? Anyone?

Jack
07-17-2008, 12:14 PM
The thing is, it's all a part of the same puzzle.

Argos coming = us NEVER getting grass.

There is some impetus for us to get grass in the future, any Argos activity would kill that dead. There is already a plan in place for grass at BMO Field, but it needs to be approved by many different people for it to happen.

canucker
07-17-2008, 12:15 PM
Well hopefully our actions can and will do something, but I'm sure we all know that the likelihood of any of these fat cat sports people bothering to care is unlikely.

Anyway, I'm bored at work and my mind was racing. Here's to hoping there's only soccer to be played at the BMO in the future and that its on real pitch!

Jack
07-17-2008, 12:16 PM
Hear, hear!

TFC+Argos4Life
07-17-2008, 02:28 PM
No doubt some of you have read the article from Cathal Kelly in the Star today. Here's the link to the full version:

http://www.thestar.com/Sports/Soccer/article/461884

Here's a part that pertains to this protest:

"And that famous atmosphere we're always crowing about? Don't count on it.

The supporter groups are promising some sort of boycott to express their displeasure with, well, what is it this week? It's the long-way-from-ever-being-official plan to expand BMO Field so that the Argos can play there.

Here's a newsflash: The league. Does not. Care. The team. Cares. Even less.

If they had to float BMO Field on Lake Ontario and ferry fans over there on hovercraft to keep things viable, the league would be okay with that. As long as you keep going to matches, the league will not give a fig. Catch-22, that.

As much as the league cares, divide that by a kajillion and that's how much Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment cares. This was always about accruing as much sporting power under one roof as possible (as long as it does not entail paying to build any sort of actual roof).

If the Argos want to dump Rogers and hitch their wagon to MLSE, the more the merrier. They'll even throw in the shovels and hash marks."

So, what does everybody think? :):)

While I think he's oversimplifying the issue, for the most part he's right.

Jack
07-17-2008, 02:59 PM
He's a douche.

He has no idea about our relationship with the team's management.

Also, his whole "what is it this week?" as though we arrange protests every week or something. GTFO Catheter Kelly.

We already discussed that here:
http://64.13.252.151/forums/showthread.php?p=91895&highlight=catheter#post91895

GabrielHurl
07-17-2008, 03:00 PM
So, what does everybody think? :):)

Cathal Kelly is a moron - simple enough

standupforthetfc
07-17-2008, 11:15 PM
Cathal Kelly is a moron - simple enough

I think that sums it up nicely

Wolfe
07-21-2008, 11:25 AM
Ok, is there a post here which tells everything we will be doing to protest? I don't feel like going through 10 pages to see everything that has been decided.

thanks,

alexintoronto
07-21-2008, 11:43 AM
PRESS RELEASE July 10, 2008
For immediate release

TORONTO FC SUPPORTERS TO PROTEST DURING MLS ALL-STAR GAME

A coalition of Toronto FC supporters groups will stage a silent protest during the upcoming Major League Soccer all-star game at BMO Field in Toronto.

The groups are increasingly concerned about the possible expansion of BMO Field to accommodate CFL football and specifically the Toronto Argonauts. The groups feel strongly that this would ruin the unique experience that has made Toronto FC such a successful franchise. It is not possible to fit a CFL field into the stadium without major reconstruction.

Toronto FC's most rabid supporters will sit rather than stand during the all-star game. There will be limited chanting and cheering. They will wear black. Many of these supporters have pledged to boycott Toronto FC games should the stadium be retrofitted for CFL football.

"This is not an anti-Argos protest," said Pedro Almeida, leader of the North End Elite supporters group. "Many of our members are Argos fans. We have nothing against the Argos or the CFL. We wish them the best of success. But Toronto FC fans signed up in the thousands to support this team based on the premise of it being a soccer-specific stadium with real grass and an intimate setting. We didn't get the grass. We better get to keep the intimate setting."

Fans around the world mock MLS soccer when they see highlights of games being played in cavernous NFL stadiums decorated with football yardlines.

"The supporters groups are united on this," said Jack DePoe, president of the Red Patch Boys. "The club, the players, the media, everyone has acknowledged the contribution of the supporters groups in the club's success. We want everyone to understand how upset we are about the possibility of a CFL football retrofit. We won't stand for this kind of expansion."

"This was supposed to be our national soccer stadium," said Rudi Schuller, one of the leaders of U Sector. "But the national team players have already made it clear they prefer to play in other venues because of the Field Turf. Rebuilding for the CFL would further take BMO Field away from being the national soccer stadium."

Soccer-specific stadiums has long been a key part of the league's business plan. Seven of the league's 14 teams currently play in SS stadiums. Two others will move into SS stadiums within the next year. The rest have plans to build one.

FluSH
07-21-2008, 04:21 PM

I'm sorry but I have to agree with this sentiment... I've been quite for awhile as to not get involved, but this has nothing to do with Major League Soccer. It is MLSE and The City of Toronto that we should be focusing our efforts as tax-payers and supporters.

Risk vs Reward

What we're doing is jeopardizing any future playoff games being held off at BMO Field as MLS will think we are all just a bunch of political monkeys. You can't blame the MLS for asking for great support?! That's their job... to make sure the game sells in the hopes of more TV coverage and advertizing revenue... what would you do if you worked for the MLS? I mean do we think the general U.S. citizen will give two craps about our fight to keep BMO an SSS? baaaaah it's to late now anyways,,,, oh well

Jack
07-21-2008, 04:24 PM
Where have you been for the past two months on this issue, FluSH?

There are several undercurrents to this that made the decision to choose the All-Star Game the right one. I'll gladly fill you in on them next time I see you.

Remember, this is MLSE's chance to showcase how great they are in front of a larger audience as well, not just MLS.

loconet
07-21-2008, 04:32 PM
Sorry if there is another thread with better info but I didn't see anything else. Hopefully this the right place to ask.

What's the latest plan for this protest? I think it might be helpful to update the first post for those of us who haven't had the chance to follow the entire thread.

Are the black shirts still in order? Silence only? WHU support? IMO, the league chose black to put out the fire in case of a protest :p

Although I don't attend the games regularly (bad luck with season tickets from year 1) - I'm behind this 100% and would like to cooperate Thursday.

Thanks

TFC John
07-21-2008, 09:37 PM
What we're doing is jeopardizing any future playoff games being held off at BMO Field as MLS will think we are all just a bunch of political monkeys.

Let's face it. We have field turf. There will never be another All-Star Game here. MLS might try to blame us for ruining their show but it will be the players who tell them to never come back.

Zeke_Jones
07-22-2008, 10:36 AM
If they replaced the green grass carpet with real grass and a year round crew to maintain it do you think they would increase ticket prices???

I think if they put real grass in the stadium some yuppies would protest to have it changed to a "safe" dog park so that mystery meat wouldnt poision the cities dogs and whatever people put on a leash.

BigD
07-22-2008, 11:43 AM
So I have trying to think of how to both support the protest and support WHU.

What do people think of bringing bottles of bubble solution and then blowing bubbles ... it is silent ... but supportive of WHU

Just a suggestion for those who are torn as to which to support

GabrielHurl
07-22-2008, 02:12 PM
Sorry if there is another thread with better info but I didn't see anything else. Hopefully this the right place to ask.

What's the latest plan for this protest? I think it might be helpful to update the first post for those of us who haven't had the chance to follow the entire thread.

Are the black shirts still in order? Silence only? WHU support? IMO, the league chose black to put out the fire in case of a protest :p

Although I don't attend the games regularly (bad luck with season tickets from year 1) - I'm behind this 100% and would like to cooperate Thursday.

Thanks

I know 127 will be sitting down - and wearing black shirts

OneLoveOneEric
07-22-2008, 04:21 PM
I have a general grass/turf question, and couldn't think of where else to post it, so here goes. And let me preface by saying there's nothing I want more than grass at the BMO.
I was talking with a friend about the protest. His response is that we're being spoiled brats. Basically, we wanted a stadium built, and nobody was willing to pay for it. The city stepped in and fulfilled our desire for a stadium, and now we're turning around and biting the hand that fed us and saying we don't want your money, we want grass. But, the truth seems to be that without their money we wouldn't have a team, nor a stadium in which to put the grass because MLSE certainly wasn't paying for the BMO on their own.
Can somebody with more knowledge of the ins and out of this situation comment? Jack, perhaps?
Not trying to disturb shit at all. Curious.

egoodwin
07-23-2008, 12:06 AM
On Thurs, I now have another reason to wear black...

to mourn for our Champions League bid that now RIP

jaahuuu
07-23-2008, 09:56 AM
I have a general grass/turf question, and couldn't think of where else to post it, so here goes. And let me preface by saying there's nothing I want more than grass at the BMO.
I was talking with a friend about the protest. His response is that we're being spoiled brats. Basically, we wanted a stadium built, and nobody was willing to pay for it. The city stepped in and fulfilled our desire for a stadium, and now we're turning around and biting the hand that fed us and saying we don't want your money, we want grass. But, the truth seems to be that without their money we wouldn't have a team, nor a stadium in which to put the grass because MLSE certainly wasn't paying for the BMO on their own.
Can somebody with more knowledge of the ins and out of this situation comment? Jack, perhaps?
Not trying to disturb shit at all. Curious.
They did a half-assed job on the most important part of a soccer stadium, if you are going to do a job (especially something as large as a sports stadium) do it right and do it good. At least that's my opinion.

Jack
07-23-2008, 10:03 AM
OLOE... we're not being spoiled brats about it.

We understand where the stadium came from. But we need to look no further than what's gone on in the cup to see that we need a legit playing surface to bring in legit stars.

MLSE now knows it has a money-maker on its hands. But we need to let them know not to take us for granted. We've done our part. We pour our hearts and souls into this. Also a lot of our hard-earned money.

We're not their cheerleaders. We pay them and we have every right to demand an improved product. The thing people aren't getting about the Argos thing is, if we wait until they announce a move, it's too late. We need to stamp this out now and we want a definitive "NO" from the parties involved.

I'm not saying we demand grass tomorrow. But the Argos moving in will kill that forever.

loconet
07-23-2008, 01:30 PM
We need to stamp this out now and we want a definitive "NO" from the parties involved.

Jack, how is it that we're saying NO exactly (see my previous post). There is so much fragmented/inaccurate/stale information regarding this "protest" .. I'm confused. Is anything still happening during the All Star games or? Any insights?

GabrielHurl
07-23-2008, 01:35 PM
Jack, how is it that we're saying NO exactly (see my previous post). There is so much fragmented/inaccurate/stale information regarding this "protest" .. I'm confused. Is anything still happening during the All Star games or? Any insights?

1. Wear Black.

2. Sit down.

3. Don't cheer

Blazer
07-23-2008, 01:35 PM
^ Beer? LOL

Phil
07-23-2008, 01:36 PM
We are going ahead with wearing black, sitting down, limited cheering. Some supporters are wearing West Ham jerseys.

Jack
07-23-2008, 01:37 PM

We want to hear a "NO" from the city, MLSE and the Argos. As in "No, the Argos will never share BMO Field with TFC"

loconet
07-23-2008, 01:37 PM
Thank you guys for clearing it up! Black + Silence it is.

We want to hear a "NO" from the city, MLSE and the Argos. As in "No, the Argos will never share BMO Field with TFC"

Yup, sorry, misread your post.

Blazer
07-23-2008, 01:38 PM
Gonna try getting a catheter full of rye strapped to my thigh smuggled in to suck on throughout the game. Then I really don’t have to get up throughout the match. I can walk in wearing black, sit down, cheer Brennan only, and then leave. LOL

DVS
07-23-2008, 01:41 PM
aren't the MLS all stars wearing black?

TFC Cityboy
07-23-2008, 01:59 PM
yes...and I think I'm suffering from deja vu
;)

redcard
07-23-2008, 02:25 PM
Well it will be a fantastic way to mourn the death of our champions league hopes...i will be in black, sitting and quite as a mouse!

the mls commissioner will now that the supporters are worried about their SSS it will show our dedication to this team and the importance of the SSS to continue our off field succes, and without a SSS there will be very little on field successes.

OneLoveOneEric
07-23-2008, 03:00 PM
OLOE... we're not being spoiled brats about it.

We understand where the stadium came from. But we need to look no further than what's gone on in the cup to see that we need a legit playing surface to bring in legit stars.

MLSE now knows it has a money-maker on its hands. But we need to let them know not to take us for granted. We've done our part. We pour our hearts and souls into this. Also a lot of our hard-earned money.

We're not their cheerleaders. We pay them and we have every right to demand an improved product. The thing people aren't getting about the Argos thing is, if we wait until they announce a move, it's too late. We need to stamp this out now and we want a definitive "NO" from the parties involved.

I'm not saying we demand grass tomorrow. But the Argos moving in will kill that forever.

Good answer. Thank you.

Sonny Cheeba
07-23-2008, 05:42 PM
i don't have any black with me right now. rather a very dark shade of grey. charcoal almost.

i don't have a ticket either so it doesn't matter. hahaha

anyone have any of those big black austin 3:16 foam middle fingers? that would be a nice addition.

leothelion
07-23-2008, 05:56 PM
Protesting during the All-Star Game may yield the desired result of BMO remaining a SSS. But, I think the fact that MLSE is even considering sharing BMO with the Argos proves they are greedy, blind and stupid.
The appeal of TFC is BMO and the enthusiasm of the supporters; they are trying to kill both.
SSS FOREVER...

JPMcLean
07-23-2008, 06:13 PM
Is anyone wearing their scarf tomorow? Im all for wearing black and showing how much i dont want the ARGO's at BMO but im also proud to be a TFC fan (as long as nobody ever mentions the past couple weeks) and not just someone who bought a ticket to see Beckham.

sidvan
07-23-2008, 08:50 PM
Black with a RPB scarf will be the uniform of the day.

JPMcLean
07-23-2008, 09:21 PM
Agreed. Black + Scarf it is :)

JPMcLean
07-23-2008, 09:25 PM
In fact it'll be my BRENNAN scarf. seems fitting, and one side is black and white

Sonny Cheeba
07-23-2008, 10:11 PM
i think black with the scarf is a good idea... protesting the potential of the argos moving in, but at the same time still showing that you support the team and those represented in the all-star game.

TFC Cityboy
07-23-2008, 10:15 PM
sounds like a plan

elmo
07-24-2008, 08:04 AM
This is going to be epic!!

Chewy Unikronik
07-24-2008, 08:18 AM
Still torn on this one... It's been a dead issue for the last few weeks. Perhaps we should have started this a little sooner. It will prove difficult to sit still and be quiet, after consuming a few beverages prior to the match...

yellowfellow
07-24-2008, 08:31 AM
The Commish said no to the Argos...although it's true that he wants BMO to be SSS, I think he doesnt want our protest to happen. This is his "sales pitch".

http://torontosun.com/Sports/OtherSports/2008/07/24/6248571-sun.html

blackandwhite
07-24-2008, 08:46 AM
Is anyone wearing their scarf tomorow? Im all for wearing black and showing how much i dont want the ARGO's at BMO but im also proud to be a TFC fan (as long as nobody ever mentions the past couple weeks) and not just someone who bought a ticket to see Beckham.

Dude this is not about YOU!!! It's a collective thing. It's so hard for you guys to do anything collectively. Always thinking about your own needs... For once wear black and that's it..

Jay P
07-24-2008, 12:15 PM
a buddy of mine just called to ask if i can get him into the supporter section tonight... i said sure but you might have to give up your seat if ppl show up, told him that the majority of the south end will be in black, sitting down, and not singing or anything... he was pretty sad lol

Haddy
07-24-2008, 01:47 PM
hey guys,

been forever since I posted here...

I need a favour from a USec rep (I'd invite RPB but can't get on their boards)

Can at least one top RPB member please go to Gate 4 of BMO Field for around 4:00 pm.

I've managed to convince a Global TV reporter assigned to today's game to mention the protest in their story for 6pm news -- I will be editing the story as well.

The reporter wants a clip from a supporters group rep. If there is no clip, there will be no mention of the protest in the story.

Sorry about this last minute non-sense but I was just asked to find someone a few minutes ago.

Cheers!!

P.S. Thanks to Jack for activating my account, allowing me to post this!!

Monk
07-24-2008, 02:33 PM
The Commish said no to the Argos...although it's true that he wants BMO to be SSS, I think he doesnt want our protest to happen. This is his "sales pitch".

http://torontosun.com/Sports/OtherSports/2008/07/24/6248571-sun.html

And to be honest, I think I agree. I don't think we'll be doing a lot for our reputation tonight. On the other hand, what do we really have to cheer for tonight? (Certainly not TFCs recent performances).

-W.

Chevy
07-24-2008, 02:40 PM
The protest is LAME, and will be ignored by all.

GabrielHurl
07-24-2008, 02:47 PM
And to be honest, I think I agree. I don't think we'll be doing a lot for our reputation tonight. On the other hand, what do we really have to cheer for tonight? (Certainly not TFCs recent performances).

-W.

What are they going to do? Stop sending All-Star Games to Toronto?

werewolf
07-24-2008, 02:49 PM

So are David Suzuki commercials, but its not going to stop them.

loconet
07-24-2008, 02:53 PM

lol, I find it amusing how people come out from the bushes and call protests lame and predict that they will be ignored only to see those protests really have an impact when done properly.

Having that negative attitude does fuck all for the sport's growth in this country.

Chevy
07-24-2008, 02:57 PM
Not a negative attitude, just an objective opinion.

When have you ever seen news coverage of people sitting down and being quiet?

werewolf
07-24-2008, 02:59 PM
Gandhi

Dave67
07-24-2008, 03:01 PM

Leaf fans - every game.

Chevy
07-24-2008, 03:04 PM
Gandhi employed non-violent civil-diobedience. He didn't just sit on his ass at a football match in a black t-shirt.

Plus, in some ways you are condoning the proposal by PARTICIPATING in the event with both your presence and financial support. That said, if you want to do the Gandhi thing, do it at an Argo's game by sitting at the gates and making their fans step over you to get in.

Jack
07-24-2008, 03:13 PM
Way to go Chevy! Thanks for coming out.

TFC Tifoso
07-24-2008, 04:08 PM
Not a negative attitude, just an objective opinion.

Look below, bud...

hey guys,

been forever since I posted here...

I need a favour from a USec rep (I'd invite RPB but can't get on their boards)

Can at least one top RPB member please go to Gate 4 of BMO Field for around 4:00 pm.

I've managed to convince a Global TV reporter assigned to today's game to mention the protest in their story for 6pm news -- I will be editing the story as well.

The reporter wants a clip from a supporters group rep. If there is no clip, there will be no mention of the protest in the story.

Sorry about this last minute non-sense but I was just asked to find someone a few minutes ago.

Cheers!!

P.S. Thanks to Jack for activating my account, allowing me to post this!!

So....you were saying.....:rolleyes:

If people (ummm...SUPPORTERS!) ignore the protest there will be no story. TFC is already known by the media to have great supporters. Now, if these said supporters are sitting and wearing black, people will ask questions.

TFC+Argos4Life
07-25-2008, 01:15 AM
Helluva protest, fellas....................... *yawn*

In the end, I think all the exposure in the media hurt your cause. People were all ready and afriad to see a big protest, but if I hadn't read about it before, you'd never know anything special was happening from watching it on TV.

Now no one thinks you can follow through on your threats; that you're all talk, no action; all sizzle, no steak; all thunder, no rain; etc etc etc...

How are you supposed to convince anyone that the supporter groups will give up their seasons tickets if the Argos move in? You couldn't even convince a noticable number of people to wear a black shirt, for crying out loud.

Congratulations, TFC fans one-and-all... we're no different than any other Toronto sports fans.

London
07-25-2008, 05:38 AM
^^^ who cares what you think!!!
mr garber said "the argo's are not welcome here!!!"

nuff said!!!

Fort York Redcoat
07-25-2008, 07:24 AM
:rolleyes5:Yeah we should've all lined up and tackled Don Garber.

Chevy
07-25-2008, 08:39 AM
^^^ who cares what you think!!!
mr garber said "the argo's are not welcome here!!!"

nuff said!!!

Problem is, its not Mr. Garber's stadium.

Fort York Redcoat
07-25-2008, 09:01 AM
I'd like to thank Jack & co. for doing SOMETHING that was mentioned all over the media regardless of how much it changed things. As for those who would rather snipe at its effect regardless if they played a part I'd like to remember our french neighbors reactions to sporting events they don't (or do) like. I prefer this protest to overturned cars and fires.

Thanks again.

ricciboy
07-25-2008, 12:25 PM
you should

alexintoronto
07-31-2008, 02:59 PM
DO NOT trust what the Argos, MLSE or the Mayors office says. We still need to go ahead with our protest. Anything you've heard is just to stop us from moving forward.

SweetOwnGoal from U-Sector:
The CFL commissioner was on the Mike and Mike show today on the Fan. The topic of the Argos at BMO came up.
You won't like what he said (http://www.fan590.com/media.jsp?content=20080731_105949_11028)
And you really won't like what Mike Toth said...
The comments are about halfway through the above audio link.

Kevvv
07-31-2008, 03:02 PM
What'd they say?

alexintoronto
07-31-2008, 03:20 PM
What'd they say?

Mark Cohon says Argos to BMO still a possibility, on Fan590 this morning

-spoke to mayor and deputy mayor
-when outdoors, intimate = what cfl football is all about
-replicate in toronto, the guys are exploring it
-he knows TFC fans upset about it
-city owned facility - responsibility to fill it as many nights as possible
-toth-soccer fans being 'goofy' - 1.5 year history - keep it a rest
-a 3rd guy = Hogan(?) - understands why FC fans would be upset
-if MLSE wanted to expand - then Argos should be part of the plan
-can put retractable seats in the southend
-real opportunity - everyone is open to exploring
-BMO field could be the center for all high school football and Vanier cup.
-Toth: and even all highschool soccer team championship - "i mean come on - lets get together on this"

Phil
07-31-2008, 03:24 PM
I just threw that link into the news forum as well. I can't even begin to express how dissapointed I am about these comments. Mike Toth can fuck off as well. He is a total asshat with his comments about Toronto FC fans.

Maybe he should come out to the game. At least the other host got it but mentions he has never been to the facility.

Jack
07-31-2008, 04:50 PM
Mike Toth has just won the douchebag of the year award.

The comments these assholes are making on this show are just ridiculous.

The Argos had their chance to be in on this deal and they said no.

Fuck that.

AL-MO
07-31-2008, 06:09 PM
So whats the next step?

redcard
07-31-2008, 06:39 PM
maybe we should be lookin at walking out of a game...I know thats a sensitive issue, but we need let it been known that we (supporters) are together on this...anti pointy ball expansion.

whatever is done, everyone has be on board!

MisterMacphisto
07-31-2008, 06:48 PM
So whats the next step?

:mad: Oh, I am pissed right now.

Things need to be escalated, big time, and fairly quickly. No more bullshit, sit down during the game with quazzy-no chanting protest.

I too, also think a fundamental change needs to be made with RPB. When leadership and the majority decides we are going to do a protest, we fucking need to do a protest.

Either a internet fan club needs to be started for those who just want to do their own thing, or RPB needs to split off and start a new group of supporters who are going to act as a group. Its too fucking diluted right now.

How about we start RPM... Red Patch Men. Too many fucking frat boys right now who can't even sit down for one game that featured Landy Cakes and Becky.

Jack
07-31-2008, 07:34 PM
Let's talk about what we're going to do about this, for real this time.

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=4097

nascarguy
07-31-2008, 09:52 PM
I found a place in Parkdale that sells that old 'astroturf' for really cheap.
Imagine an entire roll of it turned into a S.O.SSS banner?

that has a nice ring to it...... Save Our Soccer Specific Stadium (or just Save our Stadium)
I have all ready made one but they lost it and they are looking for it it cost me 40$ for a 12ft by 4ft and it has " we want real grass" paint on it

nascarguy
07-31-2008, 09:54 PM
Let's talk about what we're going to do about this, for real this time.

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=4097

I can not get in this post

nascarguy
07-31-2008, 09:58 PM
:mad: Oh, I am pissed right now.

Things need to be escalated, big time, and fairly quickly. No more bullshit, sit down during the game with quazzy-no chanting protest.

I too, also think a fundamental change needs to be made with RPB. When leadership and the majority decides we are going to do a protest, we fucking need to do a protest.

Either a internet fan club needs to be started for those who just want to do their own thing, or RPB needs to split off and start a new group of supporters who are going to act as a group. Its too fucking diluted right now.

How about we start RPM... Red Patch Men. Too many fucking frat boys right now who can't even sit down for one game that featured Landy Cakes and Becky.
yeah I watch the game from up north on a tv that one gone one ch good thing it was cbc...lol and they did not even talk about any protest

greatwhitenorf
07-31-2008, 10:22 PM
David Miller himself spoke to me a couple of weeks back said that a second deck would soon be built over the east side stands. Probably new suites as well.

When asked about putting in real grass, he got kind of vague. Putting the new seats down the east side allows for shifting back of end zone seats to accomodate football.

The Argos want in. They're desperate.

We have to make people aware of how bad that will be for soccer - no grass, no ability to attract the best players long term, loss of the stadium's soccer-specific identity.

You have to clear out big sections of seats to make this work.

Why not block traffic trying to get in through the key access points at Princes Gates, Dufferin Gates, Lakeshore Blvd west-end entrance?

You don't need everyone in the stadium to co-operate. With a relatively small number of committed, organized people, you can cause automotive anarchy outside the park and create all sorts of inconvenience in the surrounding area to generate maximum impact. Some people will be pissed off. Done properly, it will be more fun to watch than the game itself.

No one will ignore it.

werewolf
07-31-2008, 10:24 PM
^ that is not the answer. That is the number 1 way to make enemies.

greatwhitenorf
07-31-2008, 10:27 PM
wolf: then run along like a good ar5ena1ist and make us all a nice cup of tea.

olegunnar
07-31-2008, 10:28 PM
David Miller himself spoke to me a couple of weeks back said that a second deck would soon be built over the east side stands. Probably new suites as well.

When asked about putting in real grass, he got kind of vague. Putting the new seats down the east side allows for shifting back of end zone seats to accomodate football.

The Argos want in. They're desperate.

We have to make people aware of how bad that will be for soccer - no grass, no ability to attract the best players long term, loss of the stadium's soccer-specific identity.

You have to clear out big sections of seats to make this work.

Why not block traffic trying to get in through the key access points at Princes Gates, Dufferin Gates, Lakeshore Blvd west-end entrance?

You don't need everyone in the stadium to co-operate. With a relatively small number of committed, organized people, you can cause automotive anarchy outside the park and create all sorts of inconvenience in the surrounding area to generate maximum impact. Some people will be pissed off. Done properly, it will be more fun to watch than the game itself.

No one will ignore it.

Sad truth is that with open corners and two double level sides, BMO is a sterotypical football (american style) stadium design.

It's as if this was planned from the get go.

Psycho-Kid
08-01-2008, 03:39 AM
SweetOwnGoal from U-Sector:
The CFL commissioner was on the Mike and Mike show today on the Fan. The topic of the Argos at BMO came up.
You won't like what he said (http://www.fan590.com/media.jsp?content=20080731_105949_11028)
And you really won't like what Mike Toth said...
The comments are about halfway through the above audio link.

I cannot believe what they said about US What the fuck this is bullshit i say where ever they talk about it we stand infront of there building with signs and protest

jiforio
08-06-2008, 08:12 AM
Let's hit MLSE where it hurts the most. In their pocket books. If we were to not buy beer for even one game they would lose TOOONNNNS of money. (Hundreds of thousands of dollars) I don't think MLSE would stand by and watch us not drink (and not make money) for too long before reacting.

Blazer
08-06-2008, 11:20 AM
^ You try telling 19,999 other people at BMO to boycott drinking their beer. There’s too much apathy outside of people on this board. We’re a very, very small minority.

Jack
08-10-2008, 10:08 AM
Thread unstuck. The all-star protest is done, but the battle continues.