PDA

View Full Version : Ruiz is official

redrocket08
08-21-2008, 02:41 PM
Now confirmed on the TFC website

http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20080820&content_id=181656&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280

Nuvinho
08-21-2008, 02:44 PM
bringing in another striker as well???

DigzTFC!
08-21-2008, 02:44 PM
Thats about as cheap as the come....the supplemental draft

Toronto FC announced Thursday that they have acquired forward Carlos Ruiz from the L.A. Galaxy in exchange for a first-round pick and a second-round pick in the 2009 MLS Supplemental Draft and salary budget considerations. As per team regulations contract details were not disclosed.

Shaughno
08-21-2008, 02:45 PM
And Salary Budget Considerations. Meaning we're probably sending allocations or something.

bangersandmash
08-21-2008, 02:52 PM
Toronto and LA are pretty much in the same position at this point. Whichever team makes the playoffs got the better deal here. That said, Bruce Arena must think Buddle's form is for real(z) to let Ruiz go so cheap!

Don Julio
08-21-2008, 03:03 PM
And Salary Budget Considerations. Meaning we're probably sending allocations or something.

Why would LA need allocation space? I thought the cap doesn't apply to them...

bangersandmash
08-21-2008, 03:07 PM
True superclubs always acquire things they don't need. Cap space, Condo projects, 3rd Kits, Shevchenko. It is just part of the business of being awesome, I s'pose.

Don Julio
08-21-2008, 03:11 PM
:D

So wait, is he available Saturday?

JDG
08-21-2008, 03:18 PM
:D

So wait, is he available Saturday?

I'm pretty sure he is. I think they were just waiting for the sign off from the MLS head office.

Chevy
08-21-2008, 03:19 PM
Thats about as cheap as the come....the supplemental draft

Toronto FC announced Thursday that they have acquired forward Carlos Ruiz from the L.A. Galaxy in exchange for a first-round pick and a second-round pick in the 2009 MLS Supplemental Draft and salary budget considerations. As per team regulations contract details were not disclosed.

It says the SuperDraft in the release on the news portion of the TFC website. ?????

****ACQUIRED F Carlos Ruiz from the Los Angeles Galaxy for a first and second round pick in the 2009 MLS SuperDraft and salary budget considerations*****

Ossington Mental Youth
08-21-2008, 03:26 PM
they need to shift him as althought hes 400 something and counting as 300 something they dont have enough to sign ol whatshisface thats returned from Derby...

Ossington Mental Youth
08-21-2008, 03:27 PM
yeah, i thought it was a draft pick too, which is a bit rough but if he performs well worth it. Hope this doesnt fuck with our chances of signing Obrien.

invictusTFC
08-21-2008, 03:37 PM
Based on what Ruiz was earning at LA, does this make him our DP, or are we using allocation money on him?

Ossington Mental Youth
08-21-2008, 03:43 PM
nah, hes grandfather clause like Donovan and Eddie Johnson, therefore they dont count as DP and i think only count as 300k against the cap, more or less takes up Roberts spot

Ossington Mental Youth
08-21-2008, 03:44 PM
he makes over 400k, not sure what specifically

jloome
08-21-2008, 03:49 PM
$480,000.

invictusTFC
08-21-2008, 03:54 PM
nah, hes grandfather clause like Donovan and Eddie Johnson, therefore they dont count as DP and i think only count as 300k against the cap, more or less takes up Roberts spot

Good, that means Mo still has that option for next season...

Detroit_TFC
08-21-2008, 04:05 PM
For what it is worth, a emailer to World Soccer Daily today said that Ruiz's attempt to behead or something like that Eddie Lewis in the US/Guatemala game last night was because he was pissed about being traded and the reason for the trade - to create cap space to bring in Eddie Lewis. Who knows? But if this guy is unhappy about being traded, we may have just bought a nutcase.

neuf
08-21-2008, 04:31 PM
bringing in another striker as well???

I think Mo is referring to Ruiz.

Flipityflu
08-21-2008, 04:32 PM
For what it is worth, a emailer to World Soccer Daily today said that Ruiz's attempt to behead or something like that Eddie Lewis in the US/Guatemala game last night was because he was pissed about being traded and the reason for the trade - to create cap space to bring in Eddie Lewis. Who knows? But if this guy is unhappy about being traded, we may have just bought a nutcase.

interesting theory, except for the fact that Lewis got hurt colliding with Jose Manuel Contreras and not Ruiz.

Ossington Mental Youth
08-21-2008, 04:35 PM
I think Mo is referring to Ruiz.

agreed
Christ i hope dude gives it his all.
He really could be a god here and i hope Guevara lets him know that

Damien
08-21-2008, 04:45 PM
My most distant memory of the MLS involves watching the MLS Cup final in 2002... and up until TFC was announced, Ruiz was the only MLS player i knew.

Detroit_TFC
08-21-2008, 09:13 PM
interesting theory, except for the fact that Lewis got hurt colliding with Jose Manuel Contreras and not Ruiz.

Ohf, my bad. :)

Flipityflu
08-21-2008, 09:58 PM
its ok, there seems to be a few under the impression that Ruiz did in Lewis.

BuSaPuNk
08-21-2008, 10:10 PM
True superclubs always acquire things they don't need. Cap space, Condo projects, 3rd Kits, Shevchenko. It is just part of the business of being awesome, I s'pose.

It's so true. Lmao.

Limani_Ole
08-22-2008, 07:11 AM
seems like a lot for Ruiz.. Galaxy could have been happy with just the salary dump..

Nuvinho
08-22-2008, 07:15 AM
seems like a lot for Ruiz.. Galaxy could have been happy with just the salary dump..

We basically gave up allocation money for him.

Mo would never use the supplementary draft picks. Last year he used only 1 out of the 4 allocated to him.

DVS
08-22-2008, 07:19 AM
Last ditch effort to make the playoffs. If it works mo looks good.

Is it only me or is anyone sick of the HIGH roster turnover of TFC. For once I'd like to see about 80% of the roster sit still. IMHO that is vital to the growth of a team.

MG42
08-22-2008, 07:29 AM

Is it only me or is anyone sick of the HIGH roster turnover of TFC. For once I'd like to see about 80% of the roster sit still. IMHO that is vital to the growth of a team.

I agree, but could you imagine last years roster sitting still?

Fort York Redcoat
08-22-2008, 07:31 AM
Consistency is always a goal but if we consistently struggle we need to try different players and combinations, right? But I hear ya.

DVS
08-22-2008, 07:32 AM

I guess your right. All a part of the growing pains of having an expansion franchise in what essentially is a "minor league".

It just would be nice if the fans could just get attached to more than just Brennan (not that liking brennan is a bad thing).

invictusTFC
08-22-2008, 07:39 AM

I agree it is frustrating, but it is also necessary for a 2nd year club in this league. Lets face it, last year the rules gave us no choice but to field a side with sub-par talent (Braz, Lombardo, Reda etc...) It became clear in a hurry that these guys weren't going to cut it. The league relaxed those rules somewhat this season which allowed Mo to bring in a little more quality and depth. However, because of cap restrictions, and roster slot assignments, it becomes quite the chess match to assemble a competitive team. Mo has brought in some players hoping that they would fill some holes (i.e. Robert, Cunny, Samuel, Welsh etc...) but they never lived up to expectations. Although I've disagreed with some of Mo's moves, I respect the way he has tried to build a team that can contend now without necessarily mortgaging the future.

Shaughno
08-22-2008, 07:44 AM

That's the way I look at it. Again, year two and we have one of the best squads on paper aside from a few blemishes. If we can keep these guys through the off season I think you'll see a whole different attitude and chemistry between them after going through proper training camp.

Shaughno
08-22-2008, 07:45 AM
Although I've disagreed with some of Mo's moves, I respect the way he has tried to build a team that can contend now without necessarily mortgaging the future.

Wow, that right there is what everyone needs to realize. I could have saved myself a post if I read this one first :lol:

DVS
08-22-2008, 07:47 AM
That's the way I look at it. Again, year two and we have one of the best squads on paper aside from a few blemishes. If we can keep these guys through the off season I think you'll see a whole different attitude and chemistry between them after going through proper training camp.

Is it only me or was that training camp this season a little drawn out?

brad
08-22-2008, 08:16 AM
Is it only me or was that training camp this season a little drawn out?

It was, Carver admitted as much and said that won't happen next year.

Also, remember the roster going into training camp, it changed substantially once the season started.

As mentioned earlier, we need to keep this team together, get them through a proper pre-season, add two or three new faces in the off season, and let some team chemistry develop. Teams need time to gel, regardless of the calibre of players involved.

DVS
08-22-2008, 08:17 AM
It was, Carver admitted as much and said that won't happen next year.

Also, remember the roster going into training camp, it changed substantially once the season started.

As mentioned earlier, we need to keep this team together, get them through a proper pre-season, add two or three new faces in the off season, and let some team chemistry develop. Teams need time to gel, regardless of the calibre of players involved.

I think me and 5 others that just posted would agree to that.

rocker
08-22-2008, 08:19 AM
of course some people (who I won't name) said that TFC's training camp in the spring wasn't long enough because montreal started theirs even earlier, and since everything montreal does it better than us, we should have started at Christmas ;)

there's actually union rules on when spring training can start.. I think TFC started a few days after the possible start date. carver talked about how he actually wanted to train in Toronto more than going to those different tourneys. That one in San Antonio was a joke due to the really skinny field they had to play on.

Nuvinho
08-22-2008, 08:22 AM
The amount of players in/out next year will be wayyyyy less. This year, with a new coach, he wanted in/out certain players. Now that his team is in place, there will be only minor changes.

The core of the team is young now.

Sullivan
08-22-2008, 09:45 AM
Ruiz checks in. TFC chemo treatments start next week.
Cunny part II, the latin version.
This isn't going to be fun.
Sorry for the pessimissm - for the club's sake, I hope I end up eating crow.

Marc"2L"
08-22-2008, 04:27 PM
Ruiz checks in. TFC chemo treatments start next week.
Cunny part II, the latin version.
This isn't going to be fun.
Sorry for the pessimissm - for the club's sake, I hope I end up eating crow.

For a first round and second round pick.....