PDA

View Full Version : Dichio appears to be okay.

Smenge
08-21-2008, 01:28 PM
I saw him practicing today at BMO. He took part with the starting cast of characters, and did not appear to be favouring his head.

I_AM_CANADIAN
08-21-2008, 01:31 PM
Good news, thanks for that. Hopefully the big man is back in action for the Revs game.

bangersandmash
08-21-2008, 01:35 PM
That's great news, but you forgot the essential ingredient:

"I saw him practicing today at BMO. He took part with the starting cast of characters, AND THREE MYSTERY MEN OF EXTRAORDINARY TALENT and did not appear to be favouring his head.

We live on rumours around here!!

Super
08-21-2008, 01:47 PM
"... and on what appeared to be a grass surface."

Flipityflu
08-21-2008, 01:54 PM
http://web.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20080821&content_id=182138&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280

Corpand
08-21-2008, 01:57 PM
Danny D is back baby!

invictusTFC
08-21-2008, 02:10 PM
Great news about Danny, but I think the Ruiz/Barrett combination will be the most effective

poppamidnight
08-21-2008, 03:32 PM
Okay come on guys....

Seriously use your heads on this one....

Danny was back for all of 3 glorious minutes and then got an elbow and was out of it again....

Whoever is on their medical staff needs to have their job-title re-evaluated...

You are supposed to be "symptom free for 7-10 days" before getting back to physical activity.....

If this is indeed the case, shame on TFC for breaking the golden rule....

I think the NHL is the strictest on this (due to their huge spending on research...and they obviously know the most about it),
followed by NFL (obviously)
and NBA/MLB

....MLS get your act together...

Danny needs to be shut down for his well being

H Bomb
08-21-2008, 03:38 PM
Okay come on guys....

Seriously use your heads on this one....

Danny was back for all of 3 glorious minutes and then got an elbow and was out of it again....

Whoever is on their medical staff needs to have their job-title re-evaluated...

You are supposed to be "symptom free for 7-10 days" before getting back to physical activity.....

If this is indeed the case, shame on TFC for breaking the golden rule....

I think the NHL is the strictest on this (due to their huge spending on research...and they obviously know the most about it),
followed by NFL (obviously)
and NBA/MLB

....MLS get your act together...

Danny needs to be shut down for his well being

But you dont have any info dude. He got hit in the head. That probably gave him a headache but a headache is not a concussion. They wouldn't play him if he had symptoms. All of us on this board spend too much time thinking we know what we're talking about. We dont, they do.

Bobo
08-21-2008, 03:41 PM
But you dont have any info dude. He got hit in the head. That probably gave him a headache but a headache is not a concussion. They wouldn't play him if he had symptoms. All of us on this board spend too much time thinking we know what we're talking about. We dont, they do.

Was a concussion not confirmed?

H Bomb
08-21-2008, 03:44 PM
For the second one? No, I have heard nothing of a concussion for the elbow in New York. Taken off for precautionary reasons and re-evaluated later. I have read reports that he was bright and aware after the match and said it was nothing like the previous time...the time it was a concussion.

poppamidnight
08-21-2008, 03:57 PM
For the second one? No, I have heard nothing of a concussion for the elbow in New York. Taken off for precautionary reasons and re-evaluated later. I have read reports that he was bright and aware after the match and said it was nothing like the previous time...the time it was a concussion.

Nah i dont buy that,

and frankly im worried for Danny here... I dont want him getting in there if we dont really need him enough to put him in a position that COULD jepordize his career....

Thats always a load of crap... "precautionary"...

"what are u feeling/where does it hurt" is always the first questions asked when trainers (in any sports) come out....

Clearly we all (or whoever watched the game) saw him wincing... frequently rubbing his eyes...

to me...thats called being, Dazed....
...something that is tied to concussions....
You may not classify it as concussion H Bomb, but its a symptom

To me, you shut him down for those 7-10 days (or whatever it is that doctors recommend) where he needs to be symptoms free...

Smenge
08-21-2008, 04:00 PM
He seemed okay to me, but he kept yelling at Carver to take Cunningham off the pitch before he kicks him in the balls????.......concussions need more than 7 days to recover, so his recent elbow to the head was probably nothing to worry about......if not, he should shut it down for the season.

H Bomb
08-21-2008, 04:04 PM
Nah i dont buy that,

and frankly im worried for Danny here... I dont want him getting in there if we dont really need him enough to put him in a position that COULD jepordize his career....

Thats always a load of crap... "precautionary"...

"what are u feeling/where does it hurt" is always the first questions asked when trainers (in any sports) come out....

Clearly we all (or whoever watched the game) saw him wincing... frequently rubbing his eyes...

to me...thats called being, Dazed....
...something that is tied to concussions....
You may not classify it as concussion H Bomb, but its a symptom

To me, you shut him down for those 7-10 days (or whatever it is that doctors recommend) where he needs to be symptoms free...

and again, you're complete to think that, I've no problem with it. But I'm not making any assumptions. by not buying it, you're simply making stuff up. We all need to fill our days and it's all good, no worries. But ... you're making stuff up...then adding colour commentary

poppamidnight
08-21-2008, 04:13 PM
and again, you're complete to think that, I've no problem with it. But I'm not making any assumptions. by not buying it, you're simply making stuff up. We all need to fill our days and it's all good, no worries. But ... you're making stuff up...then adding colour commentary

ahhaha wtf are u talking about...

making stuff up???

whats made up???

The manditory symptom free days doctors say is needed for concussion???
The television images of Danny looking dazed....

....man put the ganja down for a second...

H Bomb
08-21-2008, 04:20 PM
Again, I'm doing my best to show that I'm not being aggressive about this stuff so lets not fight. But there is no proof he was concussed from the elbow in New York. none. You not buying what the club said is up to you, but there's no basis in information, only a basis in you deciding that the club is lying or at best not giving us info. televised images of danny being dazed does not a concussion make. All due respect but it is essentially a different type of tabloid journalism.

Shaughno
08-21-2008, 04:22 PM
One of the rare occasions I actually agree with poppa here.

7-10 days symptom free is the standard. If ANY, I repeat, ANY symptoms occur on the road to 100% you are supposed to go back to ground zero. That includes an elbow to the head.

By the way, in concussion world, a simple headache is a huge tell tale sign.

H Bomb
08-21-2008, 04:24 PM
One of the rare occasions I actually agree with poppa here.

7-10 days symptom free is the standard. If ANY, I repeat, ANY symptoms occur on the road to 100% you are supposed to go back to ground zero. That includes an elbow to the head.

By the way, in concussion world, a simple headache is a huge tell tale sign.

....well in truth it wasn't an elbow...was the arm above the elbow...a lot fleshier.

Shaughno
08-21-2008, 04:25 PM
Regardless, why rush Danny back? We have competent strikers now that can and should get the job done. Is it worth risking Danny's last year(s) of football for a game or two?

H Bomb
08-21-2008, 04:29 PM
Regardless, why rush Danny back? We have competent strikers now that can and should get the job done. Is it worth risking Danny's last year(s) of football for a game or two?

I agree with everything here. But also, why not play him just because people who don't have the info necessary to diagnose him say we shouldn't on a messageboard. All i'm saying in this thread is we here don't know anything about it and should leave diagnosis to doctors and not pretend we're "in the know"

poppamidnight
08-21-2008, 05:05 PM
I agree with everything here. But also, why not play him just because people who don't have the info necessary to diagnose him say we shouldn't on a messageboard. All i'm saying in this thread is we here don't know anything about it and should leave diagnosis to doctors and not pretend we're "in the know"

Nah, we have information from the leading source (NHL/NFL + Their research)...

Which might I add (agreeing with Shaughno here), HAS BECOME COMMON KNOWLEDGE...

....and now MLS goes vs. this common knowledge???

Did i miss something???
or did MLS just spend $234289342082890432980324.00 on consussion research to find something new, and subsequently is witholding this information from the general public..........

Unless Danny was simply rubbing his eyes and grimmacing due to a stinker fart he layed down on the field, then yah... pretty much like Shaughno said, ANY symptoms (of which we all witnessed visually on TV) bring you down to ground zero

rocker
08-21-2008, 07:22 PM
uhh, I think MLSE knows a thing or two about concussion problems -- they have a hockey team with a few players who've had this experience.

i wouldn't worry about it since none of you are 1) a doctor and 2) know the details.

he hasn't played in a long time, so I would assume he had his 7-10 days.

Flipityflu
08-21-2008, 07:27 PM
well, if danny isn't having headaches this week, it isn't an issue is it. he didn't train at all when he got the concussion.

i expect he will be on the bench to come on in the second half assuming ruiz is with the team.

poppamidnight
08-21-2008, 09:13 PM
Rocker + Flipityflu,

you missed the point...

He played on the weekend,
and showed us all (via television) that he experiences symptoms,

hence, he HASNT reached the minimum number of days (cuz it's # of days in a row)...

and heres something i posted on the other "whos our strikers" thread:

How many countless situations have there been where a player BELIEVES in their head they are 100%, so neglect doctors orders or whatever, only to re-injure themselves....

It has nothing to do with what dichio phsychologically feels,

It's what doctors and experts in the field (of concussions) have agreed on:

a minumum number of days in a row of being SYMPTOM FREE,

and from everything we have been told from experts (NHL + NFL big money research), TFC is breaking the concussion rules....

as a matter of fact, hockey canada now requires one bench-coach from ALL minor hockey leage teams to be educated in certain 1st aid proceedures,

and i know for a fact (the old man took it) that concussion stuff IS IN THAT TRAINING, and it requires something over a week of being concussion free....

...there was even a case where our top D man showed up for a game 1 week after getting a concussion, and already had em laced up, and we had to send him home before the game cuz he didnt meet the minimum # of days of symptom free (even though he looked and said he felt fine)....

....so yes, in this case, i trust hockey canada + the research provided to them by the NHL, more than i trust TFC medical staff on this one....

look at the budgets on research, nhl takes a (not-so) slight edge

PS - Any hockey coaches or trainers in here with that training that can tell us the exact minimum number of days needed to be symptom free????

Edit: Note to "rocker".... your MLSE arguement falls flat on it's face.... MLSE is the same organization that brought in a mash-headed Eric "he's healthy" Lindros.....
Even with all his non-concussion leaf injuries, his head was mashed, shown in the fact he wasnt even 1/10th of the player he once was in Philly

VPjr
08-21-2008, 09:25 PM
well, if danny isn't having headaches this week, it isn't an issue is it. he didn't train at all when he got the concussion.

i expect he will be on the bench to come on in the second half assuming ruiz is with the team.

Carver was quoted that he had concussion symptoms earlier this week. If i were TFC, i'd shut him down for this game.

Phil
08-21-2008, 09:55 PM
Rocker + Flipityflu,

you missed the point...

He played on the weekend,
and showed us all (via television) that he experiences symptoms,

hence, he HASNT reached the minimum number of days (cuz it's # of days in a row)...

and heres something i posted on the other "whos our strikers" thread:

Edit: Note to "rocker".... your MLSE arguement falls flat on it's face.... MLSE is the same organization that brought in a mash-headed Eric "he's healthy" Lindros.....
Even with all his non-concussion leaf injuries, his head was mashed, shown in the fact he wasnt even 1/10th of the player he once was in Philly

Really the damage was done is Philly but not helped in Toronto and I think MLS&E have learned some things due to this scenareo.

I wonder if the headache / possible concussion had any impact on Danny doing a DJ set last night?

I say we sit tight and wait for information from the club on this, they certainly don't seem to hold back on information on these matters.

Flipityflu
08-21-2008, 09:57 PM
fair enough. i didn't hear that carver had said he was experiencing concussion symptoms this week.

BuSaPuNk
08-21-2008, 10:03 PM
Well if he does have symptoms at all they should shut him down just for his own well being. If there is really nothing wrong and he feels he can play he should come off the bench. We have depth with Ruiz and Barrett. I don't want Dannys health comprimised for his own well being and also hopefully being able to come back next year with us.

Shaughno
08-22-2008, 07:32 AM

Understandable logic, except I'm looking at it for the benefit of the player rather than the team. Players play injured all the time, ask Brennan about that one. If Danny remotely feels good enough to step on the pitch, he's gonna want to play. Should we let him, that's another story.

"Danny has done a little bit of light training this morning and I will have to assess him again tomorrow to see whether he's available to go in the squad.

A little bit of light training this morning. So that's yesterday, first time back to minimal training. Again, why push it, why risk it for a game or two? This is Danny's career we're talking about. Possibly end it this season, or let him play for another year or more.

Fort York Redcoat
08-22-2008, 07:36 AM
I want him back a soon as he's healthy but lets not forget Sutton's knock last year. They took the time and I think Sutton is back to his best. A fragile Dichio is not what we need on the pitch.

Shaughno
08-22-2008, 07:41 AM
I want him back a soon as he's healthy but lets not forget Sutton's knock last year. They took the time and I think Sutton is back to his best. A fragile Dichio is not what we need on the pitch.

Exactly, another 'elbow' and say goodbye to Dichio for good.

invictusTFC
08-22-2008, 07:43 AM
If Ruiz is cleared to play, I can see Danny sitting out this game. However, if Ruiz isn't ready to go Danny will dress out of necessity.

jocut
08-22-2008, 07:50 AM
Maybe we should postpone this thread until he actually plays.
Unless you have seen something that I have not he was practicing with the team and not favouring his head. Does that mean he is automatically in the line up for Saturday?? I say give the medical staff a bit of credit here. If he's fit he will play, if not he won't.

Flipityflu
08-22-2008, 08:23 AM
its at least a good sign that he was dj'ing this week. that would probably be hard to do if he was suffering from concussion symptoms. hopefully circumstances (ie strong game from TFC this weekend) will negate the temptation of playing him.

Rawkus_420
08-22-2008, 12:47 PM
Good news, thanks for that. Hopefully the big man is back in action for the Revs game.

Im glad too, I think taking him out last week, was more of a precautionary move, because he jsut came off injury. although it probably hurt, I bet prior to his injury he would have stayed in the game.

Mark in Ottawa
08-22-2008, 12:53 PM
As a precaution it was a prudent move.
After all the other player got red carded so subbing in for Danny at that time as not seen as a big risk was it?

Danny D. is bright enough not to fool himself or the team by coming back until he is ready. Sub in or out after a little bit of playing time to get back into form and he should be fine.