PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion For a Practice Facility

James17930
08-21-2008, 11:22 AM
Just an idea I thought I'd throw out there. I have no idea what it would cost, but it's what I think would be ideal (of course, this would be contingent on BMO getting grass).

Make Lamport TFC's practice facility (as well as full-time home of the Academy). Put down grass in the stadium and make any renovations necessary. TFC would train there and the Academy would play its games there.

Then, get rid of the parking lot, either entirely or by putting it under ground. In its place, lay down a full-size Fieldturf field (with full-on winter bubble capabilities). I think there would be enough room. This would be where the Academy practice, and the one which the city would get public usage out of.

Is it doable?

London
08-21-2008, 11:24 AM
did they not just put new astroturf at lamport?

LucaGol
08-21-2008, 11:43 AM
Why don't they just make Ontario Soccer Centre their practice facility?

Tintin
08-21-2008, 11:48 AM

yes.

RealG-TFC
08-21-2008, 11:56 AM

NO! They put in new artificial turf though.

invictusTFC
08-21-2008, 11:59 AM
In the winter they can put the bubble over Lamport Stadium, there is no need to build an additional field anywhere around the stadium.

Tintin
08-21-2008, 12:02 PM
NO! They put in new artificial turf though.

yes, that\s what I meant!

AL-MO
08-21-2008, 12:04 PM
In the winter they can put the bubble over Lamport Stadium, there is no need to build an additional field anywhere around the stadium.

I don;t think there would be enough room anyways...

giambac
08-21-2008, 12:31 PM
Just an idea I thought I'd throw out there. I have no idea what it would cost, but it's what I think would be ideal (of course, this would be contingent on BMO getting grass).

Make Lamport TFC's practice facility (as well as full-time home of the Academy). Put down grass in the stadium and make any renovations necessary. TFC would train there and the Academy would play its games there.

Then, get rid of the parking lot, either entirely or by putting it under ground. In its place, lay down a full-size Fieldturf field (with full-on winter bubble capabilities). I think there would be enough room. This would be where the Academy practice, and the one which the city would get public usage out of.

Is it doable?

What?

are you kidding?

Sure anything and everything is doable at a cost.....

Get rid of teh parking lot and put it underground????Now your looking at sevral millions of dollars. Who is going to pay for it? MLSE? No way man their to busy folding their money.

ensco
08-21-2008, 12:55 PM
Lamport is a tricky asset for the City. As that part of King Street gentrifies, it could be worth tens of millions as a condo project, so the city won't want to give long-term guarantees on the use of that facility.

If we have grass at BMO, then that is our main practice field. We would need another field as a backup for inclement weather, and maybe for the Academy, that's true.

What about Eglinton Flats for a grass field that TFC has some sort of preferential claim on during the season (there are 5 field there now), next to a new bubble with fieldturf for year-round public use?

Eglinton Flats is Toronto's largest regional sports facility already. Lots of room, lots of parking, decent public transit (no worse than BMO). A more central location than BMO for the kiddies!

http://www.toronto.ca/parks/parks_gardens/eglintonflats.htm
http://www.toronto.ca/parks/parks_gardens/eglintonflats2.htm

boban
08-21-2008, 01:08 PM
How do you figure?
The city will ask for a new field at the very least, if not 2.
Loosing the NSS as a result of converting it to grass means the city looses a field. Remember, Lamport already is used by the community. Therefore how does the city gain in your equation?

egoodwin
08-21-2008, 02:26 PM
hate the thought of Lamport being torn down and replaced with Condos...

but the way the city will build a condo over anything it's really believable that it would happen

BritSOL
08-21-2008, 07:49 PM
How do you figure?
The city will ask for a new field at the very least, if not 2.
Loosing the NSS as a result of converting it to grass means the city looses a field. Remember, Lamport already is used by the community. Therefore how does the city gain in your equation?

Does Lamport currently get used during the winter? I not, then putting the dome there will allow all year use.

rocker
08-21-2008, 07:56 PM
this was my proposal.. minimal parking loss (since half of the part the field covers is not parking), and it's close enough to BMO that community users can still use BMO's changerooms and then run over to the field. Only problem might be the power substation there would have to be relocated.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c141/PhJD/bmoextrafield.jpg

boban
08-21-2008, 08:04 PM
this was my proposal.. minimal parking loss (since half of the part the field covers is not parking), and it's close enough to BMO that community users can still use BMO's changerooms and then run over to the field. Only problem might be the power substation there would have to be relocated.
So you want little kids in January with -20 temps run in their shorts across the road climbing snow banks?

Smenge
08-21-2008, 09:02 PM
Put a roof on BMO and place the training pitch on it. Similar to madison sq garden, and we could also try to get the circus to spend time there in the winter.:rolleyes:

The Oz
08-21-2008, 09:12 PM
I still don't see the problem with Lamport. It's close enough to BMO itself. It already has turf and power. And its close enough that people can walk from shoeless to watch the team practice :D !

boban
08-21-2008, 09:27 PM
I still don't see the problem with Lamport. It's close enough to BMO itself. It already has turf and power. And its close enough that people can walk from shoeless to watch the team practice :D !
Because it already exists. A new facility has to be built due to the loss of the NSS being converted to grass.

NF-FC
08-21-2008, 09:36 PM
how about we lay down the turf inside the direct energy centre????

The Oz
08-21-2008, 09:38 PM
What about Eglinton Flats for a grass field that TFC has some sort of preferential claim on during the season (there are 5 field there now), next to a new bubble with fieldturf for year-round public use?

Eglinton Flats is Toronto's largest regional sports facility already. Lots of room, lots of parking, decent public transit (no worse than BMO). A more central location than BMO for the kiddies!

http://www.toronto.ca/parks/parks_gardens/eglintonflats.htm
http://www.toronto.ca/parks/parks_gardens/eglintonflats2.htm

I go to school not too far from there, it's certainly not a bad idea, a little farther north but still good location. They sure as heck have way to many fields lol, im sure that taking one and turfing it up wouldn't be too hard, and seeing as there's grass fields all around, the new players wont mind so much as they could move over a bit haha. Also i could STILL SEE THEM PLAY AFTER SCHOOL :D:D:D!

kitchener-TFC
08-21-2008, 11:28 PM
How about we lay grass at BMO, and then the TFC can practice at BMO as they currently do.
If not, Lamports seems like the obvious choice.

James17930
08-22-2008, 01:47 AM
How about we lay grass at BMO, and then the TFC can practice at BMO as they currently do.
If not, Lamports seems like the obvious choice.

Because it's too much wear and tear on the grass to both practice on it every day and also play one or two games a week on it.