PDA

View Full Version : Transfer Earnings: Some Thoughts

DigzTFC!
08-21-2008, 11:17 AM
Just thinking,

I know Carver and Mo have publicly stated that the proposal for the transfer earnings will go towards a training facility, the academy and possibly grass at BMO Field. Now, does anyone find it strange that it would take this transfer fee to get such an investment in these areas? I'm not too familiar with MLSE operations, but do they run each sporting event as individual businesses without cross investment? I mean if a training facility was an issue for players not coming here (ie playing on turf during the week), then why wouldn't they just get one? I guess from a business perspective it would make sense to have the revenue streams exceed expenses but are MLSE being too cautious in this investment? MLS forces teams to use the transfer earnings above 500k to invest in the club too....

MG42
08-21-2008, 11:21 AM
good questio...I guess the fact that MoJo is only asking for grass now, we can assume that MLSE wouldn't pay the bill from their own funds?

DigzTFC!
08-21-2008, 11:23 AM
It sounds like these moves are dependent on the transfer fees

"He's a huge loss but we are looking to replace him," said Carver. "We all know that we are desperate for a training facility and hopefully we can invest the money back into the club again and continue to develop our Academy."

http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20080820&content_id=181747&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280

Ossington Mental Youth
08-21-2008, 11:27 AM
I think its a matter of the MLS not allowing the money to go elsewhere as opposed to MLSE

Ossington Mental Youth
08-21-2008, 11:28 AM
especially when MLSE has already put together an academy etc etc

DigzTFC!
08-21-2008, 11:38 AM
But the Academy is a requirement of the modern MLS. All teams have to have one now I think or have plans for one

jabbronies
08-21-2008, 11:42 AM
If we have a training facility, then we could put grass down at BMO and not have it torn up by day to day practces and training.

Could it also be used for public usagae????

DigzTFC!
08-21-2008, 11:48 AM
In theory, if we use the training facility for non-game day related TFC events, then it could be publicly available to the same degree BMO is. It would be scheduling nightmare, but if they already tackle that problem is shouldn't be an insurmountable issue. Furthermore, BMO could be used for more friendlies and the CMNT could train their without interuption from TFC.

Ossington Mental Youth
08-21-2008, 11:51 AM
But the Academy is a requirement of the modern MLS. All teams have to have one now I think or have plans for one

Totally but not every owner (Revs) wants to put alot of money into it, as a result these transfers help develop but dont take from their pot

jabbronies
08-21-2008, 11:51 AM
shouldn't be an issue at all...As of right now, I think TFC has first dibs on the stadium for training and games. Everything elses falls into place from there. Would be the same for this new training facility

DigzTFC!
08-21-2008, 11:54 AM
Dobson was talking about the parking lot south of BMO. It would be great for a big TFC imprint on the grounds. I mean, is it used for anything else except that carnival or whatever its called?

invictusTFC
08-21-2008, 11:55 AM
MLSE has made an art of using everybody elses money for infrastructure projects instead of their own. BMO field is a perfect example. The City and the province put in the lion share of the investment.

DigzTFC!
08-21-2008, 11:56 AM
Here's a breakdown of what Canada's National SOCCER Stadium cost to build: The city came up with $9.8 million and $10 million in donated land for a soccer stadium. The province of Ontario chipped in $8 million for a soccer stadium. MLSE's share was $8 million with $10 million coming from naming rights for a soccer stadium. The other $27 million, by far the largest contribution, came from the federal government. That money was contingent on Canada's National Soccer Stadium being a year round use facility for soccer.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/blogs/2008/08/13/dobson_blog_argos/

joel
08-21-2008, 11:58 AM
I don't understand what you're asking, the year round facility will become the training ground, it will be turf. BMO becomes grass, nuff said

DigzTFC!
08-21-2008, 12:08 PM
I don't understand what you're asking, the year round facility will become the training ground, it will be turf. BMO becomes grass, nuff said

What is this in reference to?

Anyways, by the breakdown Dobson gave it looks like the federal government put in the most. The city probably has claim to it because they donated the land. Maybe TFC should try to buy the land or lease it then instead of paying out to the city

Ossington Mental Youth
08-21-2008, 12:11 PM
Cant buy the land, thats where the problem lies, i believe the gov gave the city the land in some sort of legal exchange and the city can never sell it (someone correct me if im wrong)

DigzTFC!
08-21-2008, 12:26 PM
Well is it part of the port authority land? Anything that is touching water is federal lands unless some agreement is reached

Chevy
08-21-2008, 12:36 PM
It wouldn't be touching Lake Ontario. I think they are referring to the piece of land south of BMO and north of Lakeshore BLVD.

Ossington Mental Youth
08-21-2008, 12:50 PM
Well is it part of the port authority land? Anything that is touching water is federal lands unless some agreement is reached

Sorry i was thinking of land directly in the CNE

boban
08-21-2008, 01:00 PM
MLSE has made an art of using everybody elses money for infrastructure projects instead of their own. BMO field is a perfect example. The City and the province put in the lion share of the investment.
Not to sound like a prick but it was the feds who came up with the lions share.

boban
08-21-2008, 01:02 PM
Here's a breakdown of what Canada's National SOCCER Stadium cost to build: The city came up with $9.8 million and $10 million in donated land for a soccer stadium. The province of Ontario chipped in $8 million for a soccer stadium. MLSE's share was $8 million with $10 million coming from naming rights for a soccer stadium. The other $27 million, by far the largest contribution, came from the federal government. That money was contingent on Canada's National Soccer Stadium being a year round use facility for soccer.

I understand what you are saying, but this didn't 'cost' anything to build. The land was already sitting there owned by the city. There were no funds transferred to get this build, therefore was not construction cost.

neuf
08-21-2008, 01:28 PM
I understand what you are saying, but this didn't 'cost' anything to build. The land was already sitting there owned by the city. There were no funds transferred to get this build, therefore was not construction cost.

In donating land, the city donated equity.

DigzTFC!
08-21-2008, 01:41 PM
From what it says there it donated land and put $9.8 million in. MLSE put in $8 million while making 10 million on the naming rights (profiting). This sounds like an extremely poor business move on the city as they own the building but don't own the naming rights....I can understand sharing advertising...but not giving $10 million away every 10 years or so.

All in all, MLSE has the least amount invested of all parties involved. The Federal government just handed it over to the city I guess. Whatever the case, the fact remains that the fight for BMO Field will happen at a municipal level and thats where the RBP focus should be

gtaguy
08-21-2008, 03:39 PM

I say we just break our promise with the federal government,the city and just have this as a seasonal stadium (with beautiful grass). screw them and not give the city or government anything back .
who gives a shit if they put 27 cents or 27 million.(its our tax money ppl).
I figure its payback time for all the LIES,DECEPTIONS,BROKEN PROMISES AND BULLSHIT THESE GOVERNMENTS PUTS US THROUGH..
For once the fans of this city feel like they are a part of something and unfortunately EVERYTHING comes to a stand still becuase the federal government and the city made the toronto FC promise it would be a year round facility...(so what we lied to you bitches!! ha ha)

Hey i was told before that my taxes would go down (still waiting:mad:) . THEY LIE THROUGH THEIR TEETH SO WHY CAN'T WE..
N E ways we are the tax payers and i want my federal, provincial,municipal money spent on making soccer great in this city and all over Canada.
Can't they see that this will further create more jobs ????..

I don't give a shit if you have to cut back on foreign spending , relief money to third world countries. some bum down the street who refuses help.