PDA

View Full Version : Embattled Rapids coach Clavijo calls it quits

Flipityflu
08-21-2008, 09:20 AM
didn't see this reported here yet...from si.com

It's been a tough week for Colorado Rapids head coach Fernando Clavijo, and on Wednesday morning he called it quits, according to the Denver Post.
Last week, sources told Goal.com that the 52-year-old Uruguayan was on the verge of being fired. But then word came that he was actually given the vote of confidence by management. The next day, news came that he had returned to Uruguay to attend to a family matter.
The sudden, midseason trip to South America seemed curious, and in his absence, the Rapids won at home for the first time in three games. Assistant coach Gary Smith was on the bench for the 2-1 win over Kansas City. It appears now that the announcement of the Uruguayan trip was just a smoke screen for a larger, broader shake up at Dick's Sporting Goods Park.
On Wednesday, after the team's morning training session, Clavijo confirmed to the media that he was resigning immediately.
"A lot of things happened through the year that I was not happy with in many ways, but I think because of family now I've decided it's the right time to put all my energy into my family and recharge my batteries and myself, too," Clavijo said.
In his nearly four seasons with the Rapids, Clavijo posted a 39-49-25 record. He advanced to the Western Conference finals in in 2005 and '06, but failed to make the playoffs in last season. Furthermore, the team's record dropped in each of his three full years in charge. The club is 7-10-3 so far this season, and sits in fourth place in the West.
Prior to bossing the Rapids, the former NASL and MISL player had stints as head coach of the Haitian national team ('03-05) and the New England Revolution ('00-02).
No word from the Rapids yet on a replacement.

Corpand
08-21-2008, 11:34 AM
Finally!

Blixa
08-21-2008, 11:44 AM
It's hard to believe it, but this team is actually worse than us.

ensco
08-21-2008, 12:45 PM
Shep Messing had some pretty interesting things to say about the Rapids ownership on Sunday. Sounds like it's a total circus out there.