PDA

View Full Version : Streamers on corners.....Is it worth it?

ensco
08-21-2008, 08:59 AM
Look at my avatar. I love the way the streamers has given the supporters, and this stadium, a personality.

But last night I think the streamers hurt our team, as they contributed to Onstad's loss of concentration on the Jamaica goal. I also wondered at the time whether this had played a part in the Impact goal last month.

Are streamers on corners part of the explanation for why TFC are out of CONCACAF, and why Canada is behind the 8 ball in WCQ?

I think maybe yes.

BuSaPuNk
08-21-2008, 09:02 AM
I don't think so....come on Onstad is a professional. He should be able to handle this kinda stuff. It would be like a player being singled out and chanted at. So if he played like shit you think the coach is just going to let it go. Hell No. There professionals and should play like it. Onstad lost the ball and misjudged it and it went in the net. Bad play from him.

Carter
08-21-2008, 09:02 AM
The Streamers were no where near Onstad, if he has a problem with something going on more than 30 yards away, he shouldn't be a Keeper.

Stop making excuses for a has been.

canadaneedsmusic
08-21-2008, 09:03 AM
I don't believe that the streamers had anything to do with Onstad's mistake, or I atleast don't think they should have. He's a professional goal keeper, and there is no way that should have gone in regardless of how many streamers were thrown.

However, I do think they should be limited to TFC games, just seemed out of place in a WCQ game to me. But I don't think they can be blamed for anything in terms of goals scored, the players should be way above streamer distractions.

Wagner
08-21-2008, 09:04 AM
Houston uses streamers too.
and onstad has played in Toronto before...

trane
08-21-2008, 09:04 AM
Onstand fucked up, and cost us the game. That is the truth, I will even give Dale Mitchell a brake the team played a great game, safe for a few brakes, the ref and Onstand one, but major blunder. I cannot see how that has anything to do with steamers.

Bobo
08-21-2008, 09:06 AM
It was a lapse in concentration but I really don't think this was due to the streamers.

Phil
08-21-2008, 09:08 AM
I watched the game again last night, and streamers had nothing to do with his mistake, that much is obvious.

I was a bit surprized at how many streamers there were at points, still nothing like a year ago though.

Ageroo
08-21-2008, 09:17 AM
What I was surprised about was not the streamers...but the amount of Beer and shit thrown at the pitch.......it was ridiculous....

ensco
08-21-2008, 09:18 AM
I should have been more clear in the first post.

It's not the streamers per se that distracted Onstad. It was the field security guys running towards Williams to clean up the streamers. Williams kicked the ball just as they got there. I thought Onstad relaxed because he assumed that there would be a delay while the field guys cleaned up.

I will look for a highlight to post - if I can find it, you will see what I'm saying.

invictusTFC
08-21-2008, 09:21 AM
I don't think the streamers had anything to do with Onstad's blunder. However, I think the whole streamer thing in general has become old. It was funny to watch the first few times when it was rather spontaneous, but now it has become a farce. IMO its mickey mouse and annoying. Players expect the streamer shower and just patiently wait until it over before they take a corner. If TFC is chasing the score, the streamer shower will actually hurt the team, as the player taking the corner will just use it as an excuse to waste time. I watched people who've never even seen a soccer match or couldn't even name one player on the TFC roster who show up to a match with streamers. Something about that just irritates me.

MrHawk
08-21-2008, 09:24 AM
What I was surprised about was not the streamers...but the amount of Beer and shit thrown at the pitch.......it was ridiculous....

Ya watching the full cups of beer get thrown got me thinkin

1) How long until beer is banned in the southend?
2) How the hell can you throw a full cup of a $12 beer

Ageroo
08-21-2008, 09:27 AM
Ya watching the full cups of beer get thrown got me thinkin

1) How long until beer is banned in the southend?
2) How the hell can you throw a full cup of a $12 beer

I see where you are going...and I am not sure how it would fly.....they have taken a good step in not selling it in the stands though....If you really need it you have to go out to buy it in the South end.....and it puzzles me why anyone would spend 12 bucks and throw it away.......

If you want to be more effective...drink your beer and throw 12 loonies at the pitch!!!!!:D

nimamalek
08-21-2008, 09:28 AM
1 thing i have noticed is that players from opposing teams use the streamers as an excuse to slow down the game when their team is trying to waste time, so i think we need to be a bit smarter with the streamers, when our team is down or tied at home and looking for the win, dont give the opposing team excuses to slow down the game

Davenport
08-21-2008, 10:28 AM
It was embarrassing to say the least.

A lot of "fans" need to look at themselves and ask....

1/ Is it cool to throw streamers at opposing players ?
2/ Is it cool to throw beer ?
3/ Is it cool to throw anything ?
4/ Is it cool to toss around a stuffed bear in the last 5 minutes and chant for fans to throw the bear rather than concentrate on the game which was at a crucial point ?

The answer every time would be NO because it's f*cking childish.
Grow up and earn respect by supporting your team properly and respecting the opposition.

CoachGT
08-21-2008, 10:31 AM
I understand spening 50 cents on streamers to go through the air harmlessly. But I have a hard time understanding a $12+ beer becoming airborne....... what a waste of both good beer and money!

Sonny Cheeba
08-21-2008, 10:52 AM
Houston uses streamers too.
and onstad has played in Toronto before...

yes this is all that has to be said.

Barbarez
08-21-2008, 10:54 AM
Look at my avatar. I love the way the streamers has given the supporters, and this stadium, a personality.

But last night I think the streamers hurt our team, as they contributed to Onstad's loss of concentration on the Jamaica goal. I also wondered at the time whether this had played a part in the Impact goal last month.

Are streamers on corners part of the explanation for why TFC are out of CONCACAF, and why Canada is behind the 8 ball in WCQ?

I think maybe yes.

HAHAH yeah the streamers made Onstad underestimate that corner and fuk up badly right on idiot

London
08-21-2008, 11:00 AM
If you want to be more effective...drink your beer and throw 12 loonies at the pitch!!!!!:D

please throw the 12 bucks at me!!!!!!
with the amount of beer being hurled these days, i would make a killing!!!

Pinkie
08-21-2008, 11:14 AM
^^I totally lectured some dude and his buddy in front of me when they attempted to throw their beer...it totally worked too :P

themodelcitizen
08-21-2008, 11:18 AM
I don't mind streamers when we're 1-0 up, but what I don't understand is fans who throw streamers at a corner when we need a goal (Canada or TFC). What the fuck? I mean, we need all the time we can get. Streamers will just delay the game another minute or two, and of course the opposing team will milk that as long as they can. Come on... are these fans just so pumped by the atmosphere that they can't realize that we need every second to score a goal and win it???

Kevvv
08-21-2008, 11:26 AM
^^I totally lectured some dude and his buddy in front of me when they attempted to throw their beer...it totally worked too :P

Totally glad

:p

Blixa
08-21-2008, 11:42 AM
Let's face it, Onstad fucked up big time and there was no excuse for it. That said, I do agree that streamers aren't as amusing as they once were.

Jeffro
08-21-2008, 11:59 AM

It's not the streamers per se that distracted Onstad. It was the field security guys running towards Williams to clean up the streamers. Williams kicked the ball just as they got there. I thought Onstad relaxed because he assumed that there would be a delay while the field guys cleaned up.

I will look for a highlight to post - if I can find it, you will see what I'm saying.

This is a good point... there is usually a solid 30 seconds of cleanup for the streamers, but in this circumstance, the Jamaican was smart enough to take the corner quickly, ie. before the clean up, which caught our defence, and yes our keeper off-guard.

This is not an excuse for the error, but it certainly had a little to do with it.

We talk about bushleague talent... bushleague refereeing.... Well throwing streamers at opposing players to blatantly interfere with play, is, well.... bushleague support.

No one cared that we threw streamers last year because our team was brutal ("let them have their fun, we'll still beat them anyway") But when we started to win a few games this year, people started taking notice. They have (sort of) tried to stop us from throwing them on the field, and as our team gets better this will become a more serious issue.

Also, this type of behavior during a fifa sanctioned event will be very seriously frowned upon.

Last year we earned a reputation for being the best supporters in mls, but if the beer and streamer throwing and the pitch invasions of this year continue, we will very quickly become the laughing stock.

I have to say I was pretty embarrased last night when the beers rained down on the Jamaican National Team, tough result but seriously lets have some class.

..... I have so much more to say, but for now this rant is over...

Jeffro
08-21-2008, 12:01 PM
HAHAH yeah the streamers made Onstad underestimate that corner and fuk up badly right on idiot

Drop the insults. What's your problem?

Dirk Diggler
08-21-2008, 12:02 PM
That was the most bush league mistake I've seen a keeper make in a long time. That's saying something considering how many blunders Greg Sutton has made recently as well. I don't pretend to know why he made such a mistake in the first place but that is truly inexcusable for any keeper. The streamers may or may not have caused it but either way, I agree with the thread starter. Streamers are beyond the point of getting old now ... they've been old for about a year. It's just plain embarrassing at this point.

dupont
08-21-2008, 12:24 PM

Seeing all the beers get throw made me so pissed off. The South End contains the best fans this city has as well as the absolute biggest douchebag idiots as well. People should just start kicking the shit out of anybody that throws a beer.

4/ Is it cool to toss around a stuffed bear in the last 5 minutes and chant for fans to throw the bear rather than concentrate on the game which was at a crucial point ?

I was in this section and my face was red with embarrassment. That bear shit would be fine like 20 minutes into the game. But this was in the final minutes with both teams getting chances. What the fuck?

blackandwhite
08-21-2008, 12:26 PM
Drop the insults. What's your problem?

hahahah are you new?

Dave67
08-21-2008, 12:27 PM

Grow up and earn respect by supporting your team properly and respecting the opposition.

Can I add a 5/ Singing Ole Ole Ole Ole when you are 1-0 up. It sounded amazing but I swear everytime it is sung 1-0 up you get bitten on the ass.

invictusTFC
08-21-2008, 12:34 PM
throwing streamers is tired, gay and retarded at this point. At one point I remember seeing DeGuzman's face while a Jamaican was taking a corner at the South-west corner and he cringed of embarrassment while the fans threw streamers. Who ever said bush league is right on the money.

giambac
08-21-2008, 12:34 PM

I think maybe yes.

Now I heard it all

Excuses.... excuse... excuses.....
Blame it on the weather, the ref, the turf, bad luck, and now the streamers......

TFC are out of CONCACAF becasue they played shitty football against minor league teams.

Canada tied yesterday becasue they had mental lapses and weren't agressive enough in the midfield.

giambac
08-21-2008, 12:37 PM

agreed 100%.

The supporter section is known for their chants, their passion etc however the streamers make them look like idiots.

It's a soccer game not a circus.

invictusTFC
08-21-2008, 12:42 PM
Now I heard it all

Blame it on the weather, the ref, the turf, bad luck, and now the streamers......

TFC are out of CONCACAF becasue they played shitty football against minor league teams.

Canada tied yesterday becasue they had mental lapses and weren't agressive enough in the midfield.

Try one mental lapse by the keeper... Canada was by far the better team for most of the match. They created the most scoring opportunities and were far more aggressive than their opponents who must have thought that they were in Beijing competing in the diving events.

DeGuzman, DeRo and Serioux were by far the best players out on that pitch. Unfortunately, the only mistake Onstad made cost the team 2 valuable points.

Finally, how the fuck does last nights game have anything to do with TFC. I'm surprised you didn't blame yesterdays result on Carver!!!

giambac
08-21-2008, 12:48 PM
Try one mental lapse by the keeper... Canada was by far the better team for most of the match. They created the most scoring opportunities and were far more aggressive than their opponents who must have thought that they were in Beijing competing in the diving events.

DeGuzman, DeRo and Serioux were by far the best players out on that pitch. Unfortunately, the only mistake Onstad made cost the team 2 valuable points.

Finally, how the fuck does last nights game have anything to do with TFC. I'm surprised you didn't blame yesterdays result on Carver!!!

Luigi,

Read my comment. I was responding to the thread which states that the streamers may be responsible for the reason TFC didn't win the CONCACEF and why Canaf=da tied yesterday. That's why I mentioned TFC. I think you begin to type before reading the comments......... This is verrrrrrry baaddddddddd.

Also, I agree Canada was the better team yesterday and should have won. However we were the home team with the fan support. In the first half they weren't agressive enough and allowed Jamica to run around to much with the ball...
Also Canada got some help with the ref. De Rosario should have been given a second yellow for his hand ballll......Did you not see it????

trane
08-21-2008, 12:50 PM
hahahah are you new?

That is what I was thinking.

trane
08-21-2008, 12:51 PM
Luigi,

Read my comment. I was responding to the thread which states that the streamers may be responsible for the reason TFC didn't win the CONCACEF and why Canaf=da tied yesterday. That's why I mentioned TFC. I think you begin to type before reading the comments......... This is verrrrrrry baaddddddddd.

Also, I agree Canada was the better team yesterday and should have won. However we were the home team with the fan support. In the first half they weren't agressive enough and allowed Jamica to run around to much with the ball...
Also Canada got some help with the ref. De Rosario should have been given a second yellow for his hand ballll......Did you not see it????

Yeah, we got aways with several deliberate or at least half deliberate hand balls.

ensco
08-21-2008, 12:52 PM
Now I heard it all

How about reading what was written?

I said part of the explanation...and the obvious purpose of the thread is to ask "are streamers helping or hurting?", not "why did we lose?".

I_AM_CANADIAN
08-21-2008, 12:54 PM

I think maybe yes.
He's played in places where people throw bags of piss and batteries onto the pitch during corners, I doubt a few streamers would seriously trouble him.

Mozfather
08-21-2008, 12:56 PM
Video of the streamers (and goal) from 112.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/49334452@N00/2782658595/

No way Onstad was distracted by them. He screwed up. Whether the streamers are "bush league" is another story for (endless) debate.

Dave67
08-21-2008, 12:57 PM

Now I heard it all

Actually I think Ensco's second shot at explaining himself is fairly possible. Still does not justify the goal but I think it is a possibility.

I_AM_CANADIAN
08-21-2008, 12:59 PM
This is a good point... there is usually a solid 30 seconds of cleanup for the streamers, but in this circumstance, the Jamaican was smart enough to take the corner quickly, ie. before the clean up, which caught our defence, and yes our keeper off-guard.

This is not an excuse for the error, but it certainly had a little to do with it.

We talk about bushleague talent... bushleague refereeing.... Well throwing streamers at opposing players to blatantly interfere with play, is, well.... bushleague support.

No one cared that we threw streamers last year because our team was brutal ("let them have their fun, we'll still beat them anyway") But when we started to win a few games this year, people started taking notice. They have (sort of) tried to stop us from throwing them on the field, and as our team gets better this will become a more serious issue.

Also, this type of behavior during a fifa sanctioned event will be very seriously frowned upon.

Last year we earned a reputation for being the best supporters in mls, but if the beer and streamer throwing and the pitch invasions of this year continue, we will very quickly become the laughing stock.

I have to say I was pretty embarrased last night when the beers rained down on the Jamaican National Team, tough result but seriously lets have some class.

..... I have so much more to say, but for now this rant is over...
How can streamers be serious? They're streamers for god's sake, they don't hurt anything or anyone, it's better than the flares you see thrown on the pitch by fans in the biggest leagues in the world, and I'd hardly call the likes of Inter and Liverpool fans bush leaguers. The streamers are harmless fun, get over yourselves.

t.o_moose
08-21-2008, 01:00 PM

Wilbon? Is that you?

..if it is.. Kornheiser rules, beeeitch :cool:

ensco
08-21-2008, 01:00 PM
Video of the streamers (and goal) from 112.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/49334452@N00/2782658595/

No way Onstad was distracted by them. He screwed up. Whether the streamers are "bush league" is another story for (endless) debate.

Thanks for posting the video.

Disagree with the finality of your conclusion. You can see the ball boy speeding over then peeling off as William takes the kick. That kid was moving fast, and I'm telling you, sitting in 117, as I was, I was certain that Williams would wait for the guy to clear the streamers. Did Onstad think the same?

Of course, I agree with all that Onstad screwed the pooch. I'm just also saying that maybe the uncertainty with the streamers didn't help. Onstad would never admit it, so it's unproveable.

mclaren
08-21-2008, 01:01 PM
The streamers debate continues... (will it ever end?)

invictusTFC
08-21-2008, 01:03 PM
Luigi,

Actually, I believe it was Serioux who touched the ball with his hand while he was already sitting on a card, but I think the ref was only making up for all the other shitty calls he made against Canada.

Canada started off the better side in the first half but then let Jamaica have the better of them for about 20 minutes. After that it was all Canada.

I agree, to blame anything on streamers is kinda weak, but I don't think anybody is arguing that point. Could it have been distracting for Onstad? My gut feeling tells me no! From my vantage point, the way he reacted to that corner made me think he either slipped or got pulled back, but none of the replays I've seen since the game were conclusive.

My point is simple... Canada deserved a better result. It was unfortunate that the keepers gaffe cost us the match.

Finally, don't call me Luigi... I'm no luigi, franco, vito, gino or Rocco... :p

Mozfather
08-21-2008, 01:03 PM
You can see the ball boy speeding over then peeling off as William takes the kick. Sitting in 117 low, as I was, I was certain that Williams would wait for the guy to clear the streamers. Did Onstad think the same?

Of course, I agree with all that Onstad screwed the pooch. I'm just also saying that maybe the uncertainty with the streamers didn't help. Onstad would never admit it, so it's unproveable.

I never noticed that until now, but my guess would be no. In all the corners we've seen at BMO I can't ever remember a ball boy cleaning up the mess. Especially while the kick is being lined up.

But who knows.

blackandwhite
08-21-2008, 01:07 PM
I was right behind Onstad in 115. It had nothing to do with streamers. 100% mental error. he got a bad jump on the ball and punched the ball into his own net..

blackandwhite
08-21-2008, 01:08 PM
Thanks for posting the video.

Disagree with the finality of your conclusion. You can see the ball boy speeding over then peeling off as William takes the kick. That kid was moving fast, and I'm telling you, sitting in 117, as I was, I was certain that Williams would wait for the guy to clear the streamers. Did Onstad think the same?

you must be blind! he is picking up the ball next to the Canadian net.. hence the name ball boy..

Carts
08-21-2008, 01:09 PM

Onstad should realize that its a live ball - no need to wait for whistle / security / or someone in the front row to say go...

If he can't remain focused enough to stay alert - he has no business starting our next game...

Carts...

Jeffro
08-21-2008, 01:16 PM
hahahah are you new?

Nope, but there is a reason that I VERY rarely post on this board. There is no need for that crap, and I'm sick of it, it's pointless, and it's killing all constructive discussion on this board, that is all.

Barbarez
08-21-2008, 01:24 PM
Nope, but there is a reason that I VERY rarely post on this board. There is no need for that crap, and I'm sick of it, it's pointless, and it's killing all constructive discussion on this board, that is all.

You want a tissue and a dildo?

ensco
08-21-2008, 01:25 PM
you must be blind! he is picking up the ball next to the Canadian net.. hence the name ball boy..

Why is this thread so full of insults? The point isn't that subtle.

From behind you couldn't tell he was a ball boy, and it doesn't matter anyway, a sideline worker was running at Williams at high speed, and a reasonable person looking at it from Onstad's vantage point would assume that the runner is hustling to clean up the streamers. That's all I'm saying.

Barbarez
08-21-2008, 01:27 PM

From behind you couldn't tell he was a ball boy, and it doesn't matter anyway, a sideline worker was running at Williams at high speed, and a reasonable person looking at it from Onstad's vantage point would assume that the runner is hustling to clean up the streamers. That's all I'm saying.

Stop looking for excuses, Onstad fucked up and cost Canada the game. End.

Richard D
08-21-2008, 01:29 PM
maybe it wasnt beer and the cups are full of some other foamy yellow liquid cause the lineups are too long in the washrooms and people are 'MacGyver'ing a solution in the stands...

Jeffro
08-21-2008, 01:30 PM
How can streamers be serious? They're streamers for god's sake, they don't hurt anything or anyone, it's better than the flares you see thrown on the pitch by fans in the biggest leagues in the world, and I'd hardly call the likes of Inter and Liverpool fans bush leaguers. The streamers are harmless fun, get over yourselves.

Yeah, and what happened when AC fans threw flares on the field? A champions league match was abandoned, and AC had to play in front of an empty stadium.

Usually if something is thrown in Europe it is due to Anger, at officials, the opposing team, whatever else. Not like here where we throw stuff on the field game in and game out for the sole purpose of gaining a competitive edge. This is the definition of bad sportsmanship.

And when I say serious, I mean fines, sanctions, and more likely and importantly..... A BIG FUCKING NET BETWEEN THE SUPPORTERS AND THE PITCH

blackandwhite
08-21-2008, 01:31 PM

insults?? open your eyes man..

TdJarwvCgEo

100% mental/jumping/positioning error on Onstad...

Jeffro
08-21-2008, 01:32 PM
You want a tissue and a dildo?

You have lots of extras? LOL

Jeffro
08-21-2008, 01:38 PM
Onstad should realize that its a live ball - no need to wait for whistle / security / or someone in the front row to say go...

If he can't remain focused enough to stay alert - he has no business starting our next game...

Carts...

Agreed, and I think that's the whole point

I_AM_CANADIAN
08-21-2008, 01:42 PM
Yeah, and what happened when AC fans threw flares on the field? A champions league match was abandoned, and AC had to play in front of an empty stadium.

Usually if something is thrown in Europe it is due to Anger, at officials, the opposing team, whatever else. Not like here where we throw stuff on the field game in and game out for the sole purpose of gaining a competitive edge. This is the definition of bad sportsmanship.

And when I say serious, I mean fines, sanctions, and more likely and importantly..... A BIG FUCKING NET BETWEEN THE SUPPORTERS AND THE PITCHIt was Inter fans, first off... Secondly, flares are thrown on the pitch more often than you think. That incident was particularly serious because they threw them at players. Streamers don't hurt anyone, they aren't dangerous, they can't injure you if you get hit with one. It's paper.:rolleyes:

Jimmy The Saint
08-21-2008, 01:50 PM
The streamers are overdone; no one cares. It's across the league.

We need to start using batteries and coins now. Oh and lit sticks of dynamite.

Stop. Please. You are hurting the game....stop. throwing. things. (especially beer)

(let the hanging commence!)

Jeffro
08-21-2008, 01:54 PM
oh yeah, sorry, my bad... it was the Derby.... lousy memory:)

And on the other note... no they don't hurt anyone, but they interfere with play while the other team is in a position of advantage. This is bad sportsmanship, and frankly, it's cheating.

trane
08-21-2008, 01:54 PM
^ I am not particularly for or against streamers, but I certainly prefer them to the alternative. when people have nothing else even coins will do.

Jeffro
08-21-2008, 01:55 PM
The streamers are overdone; no one cares. It's across the league.

We need to start using batteries and coins now. Oh and lit sticks of dynamite.

Stop. Please. You are hurting the game....stop. throwing. things. (especially beer)

(let the hanging commence!)

Thank you!

invictusTFC
08-21-2008, 02:00 PM
insults?? open your eyes man..

TdJarwvCgEo

100% mental/jumping/positioning error on Onstad...

Based on that angle, it was obvious that Onstad positioned himself incorrectly and the Jamaican player was alert enough to take advantage...

Jeffro
08-21-2008, 02:00 PM
^ I am not particularly for or against streamers, but I certainly prefer them to the alternative. when people have nothing else even coins will do.

Being in the 3rd row I've also been hit with coins thrown from above that didn't make it to the pitch during a corner.

I think the culture of throwing streamers is encouraging people to start throwing more substantial things, There should be no grey area, it's a simple rule DON'T THROW THINGS ON THE PITCH OR AT PLAYERS.

Rawkus_420
08-21-2008, 02:03 PM
I don't think so....come on Onstad is a professional. He should be able to handle this kinda stuff. It would be like a player being singled out and chanted at. So if he played like shit you think the coach is just going to let it go. Hell No. There professionals and should play like it. Onstad lost the ball and misjudged it and it went in the net. Bad play from him.

I disagree....as a professional sure they should be able to deal with distractions like people yelling. But this was a visual distraction that blocked the ball, he couldnt even see the ball coming through the streamers, it was a fast corner, so it was too late. If the streamers werent there i think he would have seen it coming the whole time, I mean c'mon when has onstaad ever been beaten on a corner like that. The streamers were absolutely having an affect on that goal. I think we hurt ourselves , and if we didnt throw the streamers it would have been an easy save. Any goalie in the MLS would nromally save that goal, even the shit goalies. Now onstaad is considered one of the best int he MLS right??? With that being said I seriously doubt it was bad judgement...and that it was caused because he could not see the ball clearly as it was kicked, he had to wait a split second for it to come out of that mess, and couldnt react fast enough...maybe the ol guy needs glasses, but if we didnt throw those streamers, Maybe we would have won.

In every other sport in the world , you throw something on the pitch, you get ejected, how is it that we get away with it. Sure it looks cool, but is it really distracting the other team?? sometimes it works, but last night it didn't. Let the teams play their games, we have the home field adv with our voices...let it be that way. I think the streamers are more beneficial for us the fans, speaking from an entertainment perspective and not for the teams on the pitch. It may have cost us 2 points. thanks.

Oh and you fucking idiots who threw beer on the field are classless twits.

Also one more thing there were people behind me in 111, i was in the front row, one guy looked all coked out, the other dude was clearly hammered, they were screaming in my ear the whole game, about how we should play and bitching about everything.. hell they were even bitching when there was a substitution....they were like "what he fuck start the game, stop stalling" I turned around and said theyre making a sub its part of the game, he said he doesnt care and kept yelling. Whoever that fuck was, you are an idiot and don't know fuck all about the game, stay at home, nobody needs to hear your uneducated banter about the game that you clearly know nothing about.

Nuff said

blackandwhite
08-21-2008, 02:08 PM
I disagree....as a professional sure they should be able to deal with distractions like people yelling. But this was a visual distraction that blocked the ball, he couldnt even see the ball comign through the streamers, it was a fast corner, so it was too late. If the streamers werent there i think he would have seen it comign the whole time, I mean c'mon when has onstaad ever been beaten on a corner like that. The streamers were absolutely having an affect on that goal. I think we hurt ourselves , and if we didnt throw the streamers it would have been an easy save. Any goalie in the MLS would nromally save that goal, even the shit goalies. Now onstaad is considered one of the best int he MLS right??? With that being said I seriously doubt it was bad judgement...and that it was caused because he could not see the ball clearly as it was kicked, he ahd to wait a split second for it to come out of that mess, and couldnt react fast enough...maybe the ol guy needs glasses, but if we didnt throw those streamers, I bet we would have won 1-0.

are you for real??? watch the video above!

Blessington
08-21-2008, 02:13 PM
TFC 1-0 Imp - corner, streamers, 1-1 => TFC out
Can 1-0 Jam - corner, streamers, 1-1 => World Cup Qualifying damage?
Perhaps: streamers on the pitch inspire opposition and distract our teams.
Perhaps: nets will be introduced to prevent streamers interferring at corners.
Definately: streamers on the pitch reduce the amount of playing time by holding up the game - we don't get the time back . . . maybe vital seconds/minutes.
Time to move forward and stop anything being thrown on the pitch (apart from soil and grass seed). [apologies for repeating a message from another thread]

Rawkus_420
08-21-2008, 02:14 PM
are you for real??? watch the video above!

Im just saying maybe he couldnt see the ball clearly prior to the corner takers foot striking the ball, which obviously would affect reaction time. if he could see the ball clearly the whole time then I guess it is his fault, or maybe he got distracted by the streamers. either way the play sucked.

blackandwhite
08-21-2008, 02:19 PM
Im just saying maybe he couldnt see the ball clearly prior to the corner takers foot striking the ball, which obviously would affect reaction time. if he could see the ball clearly the whole time then I guess it is his fault, or maybe he got distracted by the streamers. either way the play sucked.

I am done arguing soccer with you people.. ok it's the streamers! It has nothing to do with having 2 guys at the posts ..or goalie punching that ball out..

Rawkus_420
08-21-2008, 02:20 PM
after reviewing the video that I never knew even existed until black and white pointed it out...Ive decided there weren't enough streamers to prevent him from seeing the ball...so I guess i take part of my above rant back, but not all of it.

I think it is time to move on and keep things off the pitch.

Whats with the two canadian players standing close to the corner, I understand one guy, to cover any short pass....I duno its an interesting play, alot of WHAT IFS

Rawkus_420
08-21-2008, 02:21 PM
I am done arguing soccer with you people.. ok it's the streamers! It has nothing to do with having 2 guys at the posts ..or goalie punching that ball out..

not arguing buddy...simple debate, all I said was here's my point of view and I already corrected it after reviewing the video that I didnt realize existed at first. If you're done then log off the msg boards it easy.

SilverSamurai
08-21-2008, 03:03 PM
Loved the streamers, but shouldn't be tossing them when we need a goal. We just helped the Jamaicans waste even more time...

Jeff s
08-21-2008, 03:18 PM
Streamers cost us the game? No really are you guys serious? If anything the 2 Canadian players that made the wall in front of the corner was more of a distraction.

In the end it was Onstad that fucked up, and he shouldn't start anymore. He's done, we don't need a 42 year old gk in the WC, he's never performed well for Canada imo. Get Sutton in there.

Toronto Ruffrider
08-21-2008, 03:39 PM
I don't mind streamers when we're 1-0 up, but what I don't understand is fans who throw streamers at a corner when we need a goal (Canada or TFC). What the fuck? I mean, we need all the time we can get. Streamers will just delay the game another minute or two, and of course the opposing team will milk that as long as they can. Come on... are these fans just so pumped by the atmosphere that they can't realize that we need every second to score a goal and win it???

Yeah, that pissed me off too. The Guatemalan referee was never going to allocate more time because we delayed Jamaica's corner kicks. When time is not on our side, we can't afford to waste any, one the pitch or in the stands.

Yeoman
08-21-2008, 03:39 PM
TFC 1-0 Imp - corner, streamers, 1-1 => TFC out
Can 1-0 Jam - corner, streamers, 1-1 => World Cup Qualifying damage?
Perhaps: streamers on the pitch inspire opposition and distract our teams.
Perhaps: nets will be introduced to prevent streamers interferring at corners.
Definately: streamers on the pitch reduce the amount of playing time by holding up the game - we don't get the time back . . . maybe vital seconds/minutes.
Time to move forward and stop anything being thrown on the pitch (apart from soil and grass seed). [apologies for repeating a message from another thread]

oh
my
god
what about the games that we threw streamers and won? huh?
you guys that come on here, a board that we willing allow you to go nuts on, and yet you complain about the very things we do. smooth, real smooth.

invictusTFC
08-21-2008, 03:50 PM
Geeze... the streamers didn't cost us the game FFS... Its obvious from the video that Onstad was caught out of position and Jamaica capatalized.

That being said, the streamers are gay... They've jumped the shark, and as supporters we've jumped the shark too by insisting on overdoing the streamers game in game out... If our supporters groups want credibility and to be respected we got to cut out this mickey mouse garbage.

Supporters groups are about unique chants, Tifo's, flags, making the club they support accountable and the atmosphere they generate, not throwing party accessories

gtaguy
08-21-2008, 03:50 PM
I am almost certain that this is a case of "monkey see monkey do".

We all started this early last year and it has carried on ..
Now i am certain that normal ppl (regular fans) coming to the stadium get all hyped bringing in loads of streamers to pitch at the players when the opportunity is right. (I see more and more every game). We and I mean anyone from redpatch , usector, tribal whatever, are guilty of throwing grease at the fire and when we finally say its not cool we bitch about it here.
but i'm pretty certain there are very few here in these boards that that are the ones doing this. The word must get out to the newbies, regular fans at the stadium that its passe and unacceptable... :taz:

Rawkus_420
08-21-2008, 06:02 PM
^^^makes sense to me, the beers on the field got to go, after sitting in the first row, I realized what it feels like to have beer that may have been in someones mouth on my back, not that I ever throw my beer, never throw my beer, but if I did , I would have learned my lesson last night.

NoNameboys
08-21-2008, 06:52 PM
Supporters groups are about unique chants, Tifo's, flags, making the club they support accountable and the atmosphere they generate, not throwing party accessories

Exactly. People read it and learn it

GhostPK
08-21-2008, 07:01 PM
I don't think the streamers had anything to do with Onstad's blunder. However, I think the whole streamer thing in general has become old. It was funny to watch the first few times when it was rather spontaneous, but now it has become a farce. IMO its mickey mouse and annoying. Players expect the streamer shower and just patiently wait until it over before they take a corner. If TFC is chasing the score, the streamer shower will actually hurt the team, as the player taking the corner will just use it as an excuse to waste time. I watched people who've never even seen a soccer match or couldn't even name one player on the TFC roster who show up to a match with streamers. Something about that just irritates me.

Thats like saying going to a footyball match is getting old or that chanting is getting old or overloading one's self with merch is getting old. Its called support whether or not bandwagon fans show up with streamers or not.

I do agree however, that streamers need to be thrown at the proper time. 0-0 is proper, 1-0 for TFC is proper and highly encouraged, 0-3 against TFC is discouraged. Look at the montreal game. Sure the hefty amount of streamers on the first corner was alright, however they could have used more on the second corner where they scored off a header.

But then again, it is hard to know when the best time for streamers is. Just dont help the clock work against TFC. Streamers away!

giambac
08-21-2008, 10:15 PM
Actually, I believe it was Serioux who touched the ball with his hand while he was already sitting on a card, but I think the ref was only making up for all the other shitty calls he made against Canada.

Canada started off the better side in the first half but then let Jamaica have the better of them for about 20 minutes. After that it was all Canada.

I agree, to blame anything on streamers is kinda weak, but I don't think anybody is arguing that point. Could it have been distracting for Onstad? My gut feeling tells me no! From my vantage point, the way he reacted to that corner made me think he either slipped or got pulled back, but none of the replays I've seen since the game were conclusive.

My point is simple... Canada deserved a better result. It was unfortunate that the keepers gaffe cost us the match.

Finally, don't call me Luigi... I'm no luigi, franco, vito, gino or Rocco... :p

No insult intended,
how abot manuel, Jose, nelson, fernando,victor.....i take it your Portuguese. Some of my best friends are Portuguese.

Whoop
08-22-2008, 12:29 AM
No matter what your opinion is on streamers, that is one of the lamest excuses I've ever heard.

Onstad fucked up big time, it had nothing to do with the streamers. The ball boy is running behind the barrier - and ball boys never clear the streamers, that's security.
De Guzman and De Rosario were prepared for the corner as they jumped as the kick was being taken. Now what they were doing there is another topic for debate.
But there was no defender on the post and Onstad fucked up.

And there wouldn't have been a corner, if the defender - I think it was Serioux but don't quote - had kicked it out to the side instead of conceding the corner.

Streamers are for kids...

Fort York Redcoat
08-22-2008, 07:23 AM
I think I'll change my mind on streamers when MLS is one table, replaces playoffs with a season long tournament, does away with the "Super"draft and is no longer single entitiy. Until it grows up I'm going to enjoy it.

Barbarez
08-22-2008, 08:01 AM
When we have an atmosphere like this (video below) at BMO than we can blame the public when our players play like shit, until than STFU cause you sound like a bunch of whiny school girls.

Enjoy a real supporters group

vYVrQe5uTsc

Jeffro
08-22-2008, 09:48 AM
When we have an atmosphere like this (video below) at BMO than we can blame the public when our players play like shit, until than STFU cause you sound like a bunch of whiny school girls.

Enjoy a real supporters group

vYVrQe5uTsc

Note the lack of things being thrown on the field

toonarmy
08-22-2008, 11:21 PM
Haven't read this whole thread, but I just got back home from Toronto (was at the game) and I couldn't believe that people were throwing streamers in the 89th minute during a Jamaican corner, when we desperately needed to score a goal. It's absolutely f*cking stupid and reflected poorly on the fans. It's moments like that, that justify when broadcasters say that TFC fans don't watch the game or understand the game.

Personally, I've always hated that the fans throw shit on the field, because it delays the game in general, but if you MUST throw streamers, don't do it when the other team is already desperate to waste time and we need a goal.

The Oz
08-22-2008, 11:58 PM
throwing streamers is tired, gay and retarded at this point. At one point I remember seeing DeGuzman's face while a Jamaican was taking a corner at the South-west corner and he cringed of embarrassment while the fans threw streamers. Who ever said bush league is right on the money.

I gotta say he's right. The idea of this thread should be changed from did it affect onstad to is it right in general. Using better words, it really is bush league, i have to agree with the dude on PTI (where this originated from although many have been saying it from before). We gotta stop the streamers at the corners, people are just following the crowd. If people start to stop it will diminish as it has from last year, which is a great step. It's one thing to do it when the team scores or when the game starts but not when game is in play.

EDIT: Also if i ever see a guy throwing his beer in front of me i will destroy him.

v00d00daddy
08-23-2008, 12:39 AM
Haven't read this whole thread, but I just got back home from Toronto (was at the game) and I couldn't believe that people were throwing streamers in the 89th minute during a Jamaican corner, when we desperately needed to score a goal. It's absolutely f*cking stupid and reflected poorly on the fans. It's moments like that, that justify when broadcasters say that TFC fans don't watch the game or understand the game.

Personally, I've always hated that the fans throw shit on the field, because it delays the game in general, but if you MUST throw streamers, don't do it when the other team is already desperate to waste time and we need a goal.

I agree. Some people would rather be the entertainment for one another than watch and enjoy the game. It's especially hard to watch when TFC is not playing well. I'm curious to see what's gonna happen tomorrow if we go down a goal.

Hopefully we'll snag one early and everybody can party it up while we steal 3 points. Wow, never thought I'd be hoping to steal 3 points when TFC are playing at home. Oh well, fingers crossed.

FluSH
08-23-2008, 12:44 AM

Blizzard
08-23-2008, 01:04 AM

Gotta agree Deniz. Streamers?! Give me a break. Pat must have been five feet off his line when that corner was taken.

Pat cheated and was made to look the fool ... and yes, having guys on the posts would have been nice!

ricciboy
08-23-2008, 01:23 AM
Can I add a 5/ Singing Ole Ole Ole Ole when you are 1-0 up. It sounded amazing but I swear everytime it is sung 1-0 up you get bitten on the ass.

dude i agree are you sitting in the NEE section