PDA

View Full Version : G. Dobson - Green grass of home

denime
08-21-2008, 06:10 AM
Green grass of home

The week is far from over, but the mind boggles already over what has transpired.

To begin, Canada's national soccer team has two training sessions on the pitch at BMO Field and nobody bitches about the artificial surface. In fact one of its most outspoken critics is Paul Stalteri, and even he refused to denigrate the stuff, preferring instead to talk about the golden opportunity this team has right now. I've been around these guys a long time but have never seen such confidence. It's not arrogance, simply a quiet belief in their ability.

And here's one for you: TFC waived Laurent Robert on Tuesday. I have had several conversations with him over the summer, almost all of them initiated by me. He was quiet, not sullen, but didn't have a lot to say. The language barrier didn't help, although he could get by in English. Before it was announced he'd been waived, he wandered over Tuesday morning and out of nowhere drummed up a conversation, ending it with a handshake and a big thank you. Complete surprise to me. You just never know. And Carlos Ruiz? John Carver says he won't permit diving on his team. Good luck with that. But Ruiz is quality.

And finally, there's Mo Johnston. The gloves are off -- No more Mr. Nice Guy when the subject is the BMO pitch. I get the distinct feeling MLSE have made a conscious decision to throw it out there and see if it sticks. It's the beginning of the lobbying process to convince the politicians that a change has to be made. It's now apparent the lion's share of the Maurice Edu transfer money will be used to create a training facility, upgrade the academy, and get real grass at BMO Field. Johnston has said so himself.

Read more (http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/blogs/2008/08/20/dobson_grass_bmo/)

Cashcleaner
08-21-2008, 06:32 AM
It seems I've read a different story in each paper it regarding the turf issue. I was initially under the impression that Carver and Johnston want a grass surface for practise only, but according to Dobson, the grass would be for BMO Field.

It's all a good step in the right direction, though. It'd be a good compromise if MLSE/TFC built a dedicated training facility with field turf and allow public use of it while laying down sod at BMO Field.

jabbronies
08-21-2008, 09:09 AM
I thought in Johnston's interview on the Fan primetime show, he did say he wanted a BMO grass pitch.

greatwhitenorf
08-21-2008, 09:30 AM
Glad to see Gerry Dobson getting actively involved in putting the grass/turf issues under the spotlight. His stint on the Fan radio show was terrific and he really bore down on the need to go to grass, especially when James Deacon came up a bit thick about how the turf hurts the team in attracting talented new players.

I also thought Dobson and Forrest had one of their best games on the Canada-Jamaica telecast. Hope that extra bit of passion and frankness carries over to TFC games.

Don Julio
08-21-2008, 09:45 AM
The quotes were confusing because the way he stated it. He wants to create a public use practice facility and put grass in BMO.

Batman
08-21-2008, 10:05 AM
Johnston was very unclear in what he stated. I heard the Dobson interview and clearly Gerry wanted to interpret it as if Johnston was lobbying for grass in the actual stadium, but that's not actually what Mo said. I was frustrated that Gerry didn't push for clarification from Mo.

Draracle
08-21-2008, 05:06 PM
Johnston was very unclear in what he stated. I heard the Dobson interview and clearly Gerry wanted to interpret it as if Johnston was lobbying for grass in the actual stadium, but that's not actually what Mo said. I was frustrated that Gerry didn't push for clarification from Mo.

I don't think we were listening to the same broadcast, because he asked at least twice about grass at BMO, and Mo said yes. That it is a long way off, but he would try to get grass into BMO. He even mentioned the headaches of players loving TO, the organization, and just about everything but turning down offers because of the pitch. Mo is going to try to get real grass at BMO.

rocker
08-21-2008, 07:25 PM
dobber clarified it.. dobber reads these boards and saw the confusion and asked him specifically about it.