PDA

View Full Version : Man of match, tit(s) of match

bhoybobby
05-17-2008, 10:12 PM
Dichio was a workhorse today, his touches & passing were spot on. He was key in defending as well. I thought the ref let the guys marking him away with murder. DD MOM:D

If Ricketts would only lift his head & Robert would give a consistant effort, we'd be better of, joint tit(s) of the game.

As for that diving Argentinian rug burner, he should've been red carded, a disgraceful performance, mls should censure him.

Fort York Redcoat
05-17-2008, 10:15 PM
Loved D's effort but was ineffectual in his scoring duties...Gotta give Robbo and Velez some love in the workhorse dep.

giambac
05-17-2008, 10:59 PM
Dichio was a workhorse today, his touches & passing were spot on. He was key in defending as well. I thought the ref let the guys marking him away with murder. DD MOM:D

If Ricketts would only lift his head & Robert would give a consistant effort, we'd be better of, joint tit(s) of the game.

As for that diving Argentinian rug burner, he should've been red carded, a disgraceful performance, mls should censure him.

Your KIDDING

Check out may thread - If we had a quality striker.

Tells you what I think of Salvatore.:taz:

Pachuco
05-17-2008, 11:10 PM

WOW, you and I are watching completely different games. Dichio was not good today in my opinion, he can't even win balls in the air which is the most frustrating thing. Man of the match for me was Robert, he looked real sharp to me today.

And yes, fuck Schellotto!!!

ua-kozak_TFC
05-17-2008, 11:14 PM
ok Dichio.... he needs to work on his position big time... And if takes advantage of his big frame more often when covering the ball he would be an AMAZINg stricker....
Very good game by Marshal and Robert too... the rest were ok...

I donno why they gave the man of the match to robbo... whoever decides who gets the trophy is on crack! marshal or Robert should have been the top contenders...

bhoybobby
05-17-2008, 11:17 PM
WOW, you and I are watching completely different games. Dichio was not good today in my opinion, he can't even win balls in the air which is the most frustrating thing. Man of the match for me was Robert, he looked real sharp to me today.

And yes, fuck Schellotto!!!

Wow, when the ball was played to Dichio's feet his one touch passing was superb.

When the ball was played near his noggin, he won it. He also headed out several time while defending. He's the only forward we have that can hold the ball up & bring others into the game.

Make no mistake, Robert is a talent, he's just lazy. As for Rohan, he plays with his head down, he's getting worse, not better.

There's a reason he couldn't make it in England, he's overrated & doesn't appear to be able to play with his head up.

UltraSuperMegaMo
05-17-2008, 11:17 PM
It was a funny game. Everyone seemed to put in a lot of effort. It’s hard to point a finger at anyone, saying "blank had a bad game", yet the game was a scoreless draw.
My MOTM is Robert. Some good runs, creative play, almost scored. Velez and Marshall were also both very strong. My only lingering concern about Velez is his inability to clear the ball on occasion. He seems unable to put his foot through it like Marshall can.

Snoop
05-17-2008, 11:19 PM
Yeah I agree, Laurent was easily man of the match.

bignickel
05-18-2008, 01:22 AM

bhoybobby, this is the 3rd thread i see you slagging robert. man, you gotta spend less time in beer lines. the guy was very strong today. his lateral moves seemed to really screw up the columbus defence. i definitely think he was our strongest player.

Keyman
05-18-2008, 01:29 AM
Dichio, MOTM?

I am going to have to disagree with you there.

It was Robert for me.

Roogsy
05-18-2008, 02:28 AM
I am getting tired of the people who don't understand Dichio's role on this team. He may be the leading scorer for TFC of all time...but that is actually not his role. He is there to hold up the ball...so every time I hear "his scoring duties" I cringe.

Dichio has a soft touch for a big man and he created many of the opportunities we enjoyed today. He continues to draw defenders who mug him on a consistent basis. People don't appreciate the work that he puts in... :rolleyes:

CretanBull
05-18-2008, 03:26 AM
I am getting tired of the people who don't understand Dichio's role on this team. He may be the leading scorer for TFC of all time...but that is actually not his role. He is there to hold up the ball...so every time I hear "his scoring duties" I cringe.

QFT - Can you put that in 20 point bold font and make it a sticky thread? So many of the posts here and ignorant comments in the stands are made by people who can't grasp this simple fact.

def fret
05-18-2008, 06:01 AM
MOM for me was Marshall. If not for his goalline save, it woulda ended 1-0.
Scheloto is a bitch.

James17930
05-18-2008, 07:07 AM
It was a funny game. Everyone seemed to put in a lot of effort. It’s hard to point a finger at anyone, saying "blank had a bad game", yet the game was a scoreless draw.
My MOTM is Robert. Some good runs, creative play, almost scored. Velez and Marshall were also both very strong. My only lingering concern about Velez is his inability to clear the ball on occasion. He seems unable to put his foot through it like Marshall can.

That's what i thought too. It was just one of those games. Two good defensive teams and no one could break though.

giambac
05-18-2008, 08:05 AM

Dichio has a soft touch for a big man and he created many of the opportunities we enjoyed today. He continues to draw defenders who mug him on a consistent basis. People don't appreciate the work that he puts in... :rolleyes:

Dichio's role should be assiatnt coach. Time for him to hang up the boots has come. way to slow. He would be a good mentor for the young guys.

This team is 1 player shy of being a top team in the league. That plyer is at the striker position. I'm not even asking for an above average striker. Just give us an average striker and it would be a huge upgrade on both Dichio and Cuningham.

ag futbol
05-18-2008, 08:25 AM
Guys, Dichio is doing a pretty decent job holding up the ball, but in the end he's not enough of a threat to score to be effective. He's slowed down a lot since last year it seems. Many of those headers he used to be getting to were just out of his reach. Great guy, amazing work effort, but not the answer for us up front at this time.

Cunningham has to be the most fustrating player in history. He continuously does things like steal the ball from the last defender in the 18 yard box. But instead of taking the guy 1v1 straight to the net for a shot, he fucks around until 4 more defenders come back and takes the ball to the corner.

justin
05-18-2008, 09:34 AM

sure he's doing that part of the job well, but uh....he's our striker....he's supposed to score goals. thats what strikers do

rocker
05-18-2008, 09:36 AM
Robert was lazy yesterday?? huh???

I guess you missed the long runs he made, the great dekes, the moves past ballwatching Columbus players, nearly scoring a goal and nearly assisting on another.

Canadian Blue
05-18-2008, 09:55 AM
Tyrone Marshall was the MOM

H Bomb
05-18-2008, 09:59 AM
Marvell Wynne for me. Strong up and down and caused them some havoc. Having said that I didn't think anyone was great yesterday.

stugautz
05-18-2008, 10:01 AM
I'm sure with Dichio half the problem with his headers was the wind taking the ball for a journey. He did have a few nice touches, but doesn't seem willing to use his body enough.

My MOM is Wynne. If the one play where he took a ball off a Columbus attacker, pushed it forward, then ran down the field to be on the wing to be an open target and almost crossed a perfect pass in.

LUFCanada
05-18-2008, 10:02 AM
Dichio held the ball up front ,had a few nice flick ons ,drew a lot of attention to free up space for Robert the game went flat when he came off.
The goals will come

bhoybobby
05-18-2008, 10:35 AM
bhoybobby, this is the 3rd thread i see you slagging robert. man, you gotta spend less time in beer lines. the guy was very strong today. his lateral moves seemed to really screw up the columbus defence. i definitely think he was our strongest player.

Err. Actually, I wasn't slagging him. All I stated was that he is no doubt talented, but lazy, it's like he does the minimum. I think with a bit more application/effort he'd be brilliant.

As for Ricketts, yeah, I was slagging him. He consistantly plays with his head down. I hope I'm wrong, but I think we're gonna be dissapointed in what he brings to the table.

As for DD, the fact is he is the only presense we have up front. MoJo & Carver know this & are, as Carver stated, trying to fix that situation.

I love what Mo & Carver have done, but we're razor thin in depth. Hopefully we can get another couple of capable bodies in for cover in midfield & competetion up front.

RealG-TFC
05-18-2008, 10:38 AM
Your KIDDING

Check out may thread - If we had a quality striker.

Tells you what I think of Salvatore.:taz:

omg not you again

CretanBull
05-18-2008, 11:20 AM
sure he's doing that part of the job well, but uh....he's our striker....he's supposed to score goals. thats what strikers do

No, he's our center forward. His job is to play with his back to the net and knock down balls played in the air and to dish off the ball to his strike partner or winger. When the ball is played to him along the ground, his job is to hold the ball while the midfiielders come forward. In either case, pace has NOTHING to do with his role on the team as the ball is supposed to be played to him.

Pachuco
05-18-2008, 11:20 AM
For anyone who thinks Robert was lazy, go back and watch the highlights, he freaking created every single highlight of the game. He was insane today and all over the park.

As for Dichio, go back and watch how many times the ball is crossed to him or passed to him in the air and he doens't get his head on it? My wife at one point actually yelled out "Dichio, you piece of shit!" that's how frustrated she was that this guy is 6'5 and can't win balls in the air. Cunningham might be lazy, but when the ball was played to him in the air, he found a way to bring it down. Also, Roogsy, I just don't see all these great opportunities Dichio created yesterday, except the one that he ran down and passed it back. That's about all I remember. It says enough that when you look at the highlights on MLSNEt.com all you hear is Robert creating opportunities.

koryo
05-18-2008, 11:23 AM

I was very pleased with Robert myself. Some good runs, deft passing, and created our one real scoring that looked to threaten.

The Schelotto ought to be shot out-of-hand.

Pachuco
05-18-2008, 11:24 AM
No, he's our center forward. His job is to play with his back to the net and knock down balls played in the air and to dish off the ball to his strike partner or winger. When the ball is played to him along the ground, his job is to hold the ball while the midfiielders come forward. In either case, pace has NOTHING to do with his role on the team as the ball is supposed to be played to him.

I don't get this mentality whatsoever. Where in the world do you hear of a great striker being good because he holds the ball up well but doens't score??? If you hear what Carver said after the game, he kept Dichio in there because he was thinking set plays. Which is where he is the worst to me. Never in the right position, never gets his head on a ball. And good strikers by the way can do both. Hold the ball up well and score goals. It is not one or the other. If Dichio was doing such a great job then believe me, we wouldn't be openly shopping a striker right now.

koryo
05-18-2008, 11:26 AM
^^ the point is that Dichio, though #9, is not played as a striker but as a centre-forward. That, and people ought to stop judging him as a striker.

CretanBull
05-18-2008, 11:32 AM
^^ the point is that Dichio, though #9, is not played as a striker but as a centre-forward. That, and people ought to stop judging him as a striker.

Exactly!

bhoybobby
05-18-2008, 11:33 AM

Spot on assesment, basic football,nothing more left to be said to that.

A lot of fans on this board, don't understand that. Not a shot at anyone, just an observation.

Pachuco
05-18-2008, 11:34 AM

So a centre forward is not supposed to score goals? sorry, makes no sense. And the reason why he plays your so called centre forward role is to make up for the fact he's not a good striker. Which is what this team neeeds.

koryo
05-18-2008, 11:40 AM
* groan * See you Wednesday mate :)

ag futbol
05-18-2008, 11:41 AM
I don't disagree that his ability to hold up the ball is important, but he needs to be a threat to score as well, and we really haven't seen enough of that this year. That's where the problem is.

Pachuco
05-18-2008, 11:43 AM
* groan * See you Wednesday mate :)

I'll buy you a beer!! if Dichio scores :)

bhoybobby
05-18-2008, 11:43 AM
For anyone who thinks Robert was lazy, go back and watch the highlights, he freaking created every single highlight of the game. He was insane today and all over the park.

As for Dichio, go back and watch how many times the ball is crossed to him or passed to him in the air and he doens't get his head on it? My wife at one point actually yelled out "Dichio, you piece of shit!" that's how frustrated she was that this guy is 6'5 and can't win balls in the air. Cunningham might be lazy, but when the ball was played to him in the air, he found a way to bring it down. Also, Roogsy, I just don't see all these great opportunities Dichio created yesterday, except the one that he ran down and passed it back. That's about all I remember. It says enough that when you look at the highlights on MLSNEt.com all you hear is Robert creating opportunities.

I watched Robert closely the whole game. The little he does, he does very, very well. I think he's capable of more.

As for DD, most of the balls to him in the air, are no fucking where near him. He passing is exceptional, when the ball is near him in the air, he wins it. He won a ton of stuff in our box defending.

When he goes off, we have no presence at all up front, none. As for your better 1/2 calling him a piece of shit, I think that has more to do with her football knowledge that DD. That's no disrespect to your spouse.

Cunningham, when he plays is a non factor, greedy, useless, does nothing for those around him. Carver knows this, that's why he doesn't give him much playing time.

bhoybobby
05-18-2008, 11:45 AM
So a centre forward is not supposed to score goals? sorry, makes no sense. And the reason why he plays your so called centre forward role is to make up for the fact he's not a good striker. Which is what this team neeeds.

You're not getting it are you? Love your passion, don't love you're understanding of the game.:noidea:

CretanBull
05-18-2008, 11:49 AM
If we played 4-4-2 and Dichio's strike partner was a finisher no one would be complaining about him, and his role would be more clearly understood by all.

bhoybobby
05-18-2008, 11:56 AM
If we played 4-4-2 and Dichio's strike partner was a finisher no one would be complaining about him, and his role would be more clearly understood by all.

Exactly, some get it, some don't. We had enough chances yesterday, Edu & Ricketts both couldn't pull the trigger with clear path to goal. Either one of them goes in, there's no discussion.

One thing that drove me crazy in the 1st half was when Jimmy B made two lung bursting run to overlap down the left wing.

Ricketts who was busy watching his own feet & the ball (head down) sent in a useless cross, under no pressure.

Robert, just ignored him & under no pressure, put the ball in the beer garden. I thought Jimmy's head was gonna explode. After that he didn't bother overlapping, probably thought, what's the point.:mad:

Mrs. Workie
05-18-2008, 11:58 AM
Tits of the match- the two fuckers standing behind us. They were singing anit-Laurent Robert chants, so I turned around and told them if they weren't gonna support the team, they could get the fuck out. To which is prissy bitch replied "calm down hunnie, you're just blowing this out of porportion".

I nearly went back there and punched the bitch out.

Mikey
05-18-2008, 12:04 PM
Tits of the match- the two fuckers standing behind us. They were singing anit-Laurent Robert chants, so I turned around and told them if they weren't gonna support the team, they could get the fuck out. To which is prissy bitch replied "calm down hunnie, you're just blowing this out of porportion".

Agreed.

The spotty twat who was getting lagered on half a pint and shooting his mouth off was a sad site to see. Though it was funny when security went up. He thought they was asking him to quiet down, (potential major boost for his self-inflated hard man persona) and it turns out they were carding him as he didn't look old enought to be drinking.

(hahahaha instant loss of hard man cred......."excuse me son can I see some ID, Did your mom buy that beer for you....?")

GeorgeB
05-18-2008, 12:12 PM
i felt that Robert was our best player yesterday.Guevarra wasnt as prominent as i was hoping for and Ricketts ,aside from some fancy footwork hasnt shown me much.i think the boys will be fired up for DC cause of the second game of the season result.we need a striker soon , the formation is not suited to Dichio's game .but i still love the legendary DD

Keyman
05-18-2008, 12:14 PM
Well, here is how I feel about Dichio, if anyone cares. Dichio simply cannot play the the 4-5-1/4-4-1-1 formation that we play. If he were to be placed alongside a striker up front, in a 4-4-2, he would be much more effective, however he is not very effective in his new role this year. He plays in front of Amado Guevara, who plays as a #10 with Toronto. He simply is not quick enough to play with Guevara, who has no one to outlet his passes to. We don't need Dichio to play as a CF anymore, we need to have someone up front who has the pace, the shot, and the skill to continually score goals for TFC; Dichio cannot do that. Dichio's job in this formation is not to hold up the ball, which he does do very well, that is something that people have to understand.

MKR
05-18-2008, 12:15 PM
Laurent Robert = Man of the match.

Clearly Toronto's best offensive player yesterday by a mile. He orchestrated a number of decent scoring chances yesterday and was unlucky with that goal post.

Marshall was rock solid. Velez was great as well.
________

Edu needs to work on his shot.
Ricketts = meh.

Roogsy
05-18-2008, 12:48 PM

Exactly.

QFT.

And whatever else I can say in agreement of this.

If somehow we could have a setup to have BOTH Dichio and Cunny on the pitch, I would like to see how it works out. The Fast and the Furious never really had a chance to show what they could do last year.

Maybe we can try this when Edu takes off for National duties?

Then we can see Dichio knock down balls and send them forward for Cunny to run down and bag.

On a sidenote...has anyone noticed that Cunny doesn't seem as quick or is it just me? I am a little worried.

Roogsy
05-18-2008, 12:51 PM

This was in 112?

Tell them I'd switch my 118 tickets with them please. I'd give anything to sing in support of team with my brothers and sisters.

This is completely shocking. :eek6:

BeachRed
05-18-2008, 01:00 PM
Robert, just ignored him & under no pressure, put the ball in the beer garden. I thought Jimmy's head was gonna explode. After that he didn't bother overlapping, probably thought, what's the point.:mad:

Robert certainly gets frustrated with his teammates and it seems to take him out of the game for a while before het gets back in.

What about Edu? He seems invisible out there.

ua-kozak_TFC
05-18-2008, 01:18 PM

I am getting tired of people defending Dichio for no reason. I am usually the first guy to defend him, and i don;t expect him to score goal.. And i think he had a bad game NOT because he didn;t score or create a scoring chance but because he really did nothing on the field.... usually he plays better.
Like with his body size you;d think that he could nail his feet on the ground and protect the ball like WYnne does with half the size... while dichio just falls down like a little girl upon a faceoff with a defender... Instead of fighting it off....
Second his air game was shit... same argument with his height if he just tries to jump any air ball should be his... i don;t think he won an air ball with the defender...
the worst of all is his POSITIONING.... Like instead of looking for gaps between defenders to run in the guy would just run in the opposite direction....
Very poor game by DD....

ua-kozak_TFC
05-18-2008, 01:22 PM
Robert certainly gets frustrated with his teammates and it seems to take him out of the game for a while before het gets back in.

THAT has become a norm for him... I never see him during the game... ANd specially against crew he was invisible, the only time i saw him was in the pass back to sutton which almost got intercepted....
I said it a couple of times and i say it again the most OVER rated player on our team.....

Roogsy
05-18-2008, 01:26 PM
Like with his body size you;d think that he could nail his feet on the ground and protect the ball like WYnne does with half the size... while dichio just falls down like a little girl upon a faceoff with a defender... Instead of fighting it off....
Second his air game was shit... same argument with his height if he just tries to jump any air ball should be his... i don;t think he won an air ball with the defender...
the worst of all is his POSITIONING.... Like instead of looking for gaps between defenders to run in the guy would just run in the opposite direction....
Very poor game by DD....

There are a couple of things that I do agree on here. When I defend Dichio, I defend him against people who don't understand what his job on this team is.

HOWEVER...there are aspects to his game yesterday that I found disappointing. His positioning was not ideal. There were times when he would run to the OTHER side of a defender instead of getting in between the defender and passer so that when the passer actually passed the ball, he was on the wrong side of the defender to receive the ball and the defender would easily intercept.

His hitting the ground I think is a result of his adjusting to this league. If he stays on his feet, it is the defender that usually winds up hitting the ground and he gets the foul. He knows this. So in a collision, he simply cannot remain on his feet...this league will not let him. I would rather see him use his strength, but the refs here are completely biased against him.

However...I think nobody has really given Dichio a break yesterday for the wind factor. There wasn't a decent cross into the box all game yesterday and it wasn't the midfield's fault...the wind yesterday was crazy.

fiji_blue
05-18-2008, 01:29 PM
Robert was good, Marshall for me was man of the match..
Tits of the match- two guys behind us, who kept talking about work "bla bla bla work this, bla bla bla work that..." the whole 1st half. I'm in section 125 which is silent but the folks there are watching the game. The guys Kept talking so I started "Oh we are at a soccer match, Hey lets talk about WORK!!" The people around me started to laugh ... the tits behind me quote "this is not soccer, real soccer is in europe.. I cant watch this bla bla bla..." at which point I stood up told my friends to stand up for the rest of the match. Paid the tits no attention cause obviously they wont be back..... I wish these Maple Leaf fans would wait for hockey season and stay home...

Fiin
05-18-2008, 01:44 PM
MoM for me was Robert forsure. Lots of good runs and dodging. Tit of the match was the throng of soccer dads who apparently couldnt sign our songs but could tell me to sit down.. you can imagine how fast that was observed :P

felipe
05-18-2008, 03:01 PM
DD had a very solid game...honestly, I wonder what some of you are watching...He defended away every set-piece by columbus that came in the air, and he brought more players in to every attack with his one touch lay-offs from long balls.

Sure, it'd be nice if he turned his marker every once and again, but what would be the point? Every time he does, his marker catches up to him before he goes a yard.

He plays to his strengths, and does that very well.

We're five unbeaten, and the entire unit looks very very good.

Torcida
05-18-2008, 03:49 PM
Dichio had a good game. If you don't see that your lost. It's obvious however that we need to sign a goalscorer, Cunningham is not going to cut it especially if he's playing as a lone striker. Once we get a goal scorer hopefully DP caliber we should switch to a 4-4-2 with Dichio playing behind the striker. Edu is the logical player to drop from the XI (don't worry Maurice lovers he will still get a ton of playing time)

bhoybobby
05-18-2008, 03:59 PM

Edu, I thought he was away the last couple of games on Int'l duty:D

His new nick name the invisible man:) He was an unknown qty last year, not so much this year, hopefully he gets better as the season goes on

mighty_torontofc_2008
05-18-2008, 04:07 PM
MOM for me was Marshall. If not for his goalline save, it woulda ended 1-0.
Scheloto is a bitch.

Yes Marshall for man of the match...not a bad effort by the team, but they must make more of their chances as carver says...bring on UTD!!

ManUtd4ever
05-18-2008, 04:16 PM
Robert and Marshall were both deserving of man of the match honors...

David_Oliveira
05-18-2008, 06:06 PM
I think we had a hellova game yesterday and everyone did their job. But my mom was Robert. Creates lots of chances and had the best scoring chance.

tfctillidie
05-18-2008, 11:21 PM
Robert was a man amongst boys out there yesterday...he created most of the scoring chances for Toronto, he was creating something out of nothing with those long runs he made

graeme117
05-18-2008, 11:31 PM
MotM for me is Robinson... He worked all day getting under schelleto's skin. i think robo went in with a plan to irritate the hell out of the crew's best player and he did it brilliantly. You would have to watch robo very closely to see it though, but it was brilliant.

Second is our back four (5 icl. sutts), bloody brilliant covering each other and making sure our usual mistakes didn't end up being goals. And then robert.

Tit of the match is the ref. good game compared to the officiating last year but really should have dealt w/ the dissent and diving in the first couple minutes. ruined the game imo, although everyone needs a villian and he let schelleto become one

almost tit of the match. Edu, he really had an off game, bad passing, bad shots, although his getting into position to shoot was good. Still love him though

J .
05-19-2008, 06:06 AM
Marshall is my MoM.

Kooper
05-19-2008, 08:53 AM
Marshall is my MoM.

Defenders often get overlooked. Marshall played a great game, had 1 or two slip ups but a great last man clearance on the shot in the first half that beat Sutton. Well Done Tyrone.

I love with our defenders they have to start as villains before they become heroes. Both Marshall and Valez had rough starts now they are loved.

Rawkus_420
05-19-2008, 11:13 AM
Robert was lazy yesterday?? huh???

I guess you missed the long runs he made, the great dekes, the moves past ballwatching Columbus players, nearly scoring a goal and nearly assisting on another.

Anyone who thinks robert played bad, Im convinced you didnt even see the game. Im a committed student of the game, and from what I saw his performance was easily the best on the field that day. Its just a shame for that post, or that nobody could get on the end of one of those "gimmes" he put into the box. They were tap-ins. Robert is the best player on our team hands down. I think you all need to get off his back.

Dont forget there are ties in football, it happens, our defence is solid.. our midfield can both move the ball, and two maybe 3 of those mids can even attack with it. We all know the problem is the finishing touch up front, so get off the midfields backs, without them we would be losing every game....whend did this unbeaten streak start, oh yah when guevara and robert started playing...coincidence, i think not. and ricketts well he just adds to it, he has definitely proven to be overated so far, I hope he proves me wrong. But we're better off with him than without.

ManUtd4ever
05-19-2008, 11:46 AM
Anyone who thinks robert played bad, Im convinced you didnt even see the game. Im a committed student of the game, and from what I saw his performance was easily the best on the field that day. Its just a shame for that post, or that nobody could get on the end of one of those "gimmes" he put into the box. They were tap-ins. Robert is the best player on our team hands down. I think you all need to get off his back.

Dont forget there are ties in football, it happens, our defence is solid.. our midfield can both move the ball, and two maybe 3 of those mids can even attack with it. We all know the problem is the finishing touch up front, so get off the midfields backs, without them we would be losing every game....whend did this unbeaten streak start, oh yah when guevara and robert started playing...coincidence, i think not. and ricketts well he just adds to it, he has definitely proven to be overated so far, I hope he proves me wrong. But we're better off with him than without.

QFT!!

Milton_Arab
05-19-2008, 02:05 PM
i think that robert had a great game for 3/4 of the match, and with a bit of luck he would have won the game for us. when he cut inside before hitting the post, that was a great play. he looked like he had lost the ball before cutting inside, then looked like he was trying to beat one man too many, but he beat him, then it looked like he had pushed the ball too far in front of him and the defender was gonna get it but he still managed to get a fantastic shot away before that happened. however, after that his influence seemed to die down. he is not helped by the fact that he has absolutely no right foot, which is a shame as there have been several occassions in the past few games when he was in a position where he could only use his right foot, but because he can't the play died.

one player who has really impressed me this season is wynne. the guy is unbeatable on the right, and i would go so far as to say he is a poor mans cafu. a tremendous attacking option, he must be one of the fastest players in the league, and even when he gets caught out of position his speed and strength usually are enough for him to recover and eliminate any danger. one thing which disappointed me was a few times in the first half, when he did cut into their box he crossed the ball low on the ground. i would have liked to have seen him cross in a bit earlier to dichio to attack the ball, but instead the low crosses were easily dealt with by the defenders.

which leads me to dichio. i am not a dichio fan by any means, and i have to laugh at the fact that the dichio nut huggers always seem to resort to insults to back up their 'points'. usually something along the lines of 'what are you watching, you don't understand the game, stop drinking' etc etc. basically offering up excuses for the fact that their hero is not as effective as they would like. having said that, i thought that the first 20 mins yesterday he was tremendous. he fought to win balls, and had some nice layoffs, and even showed a surprising turn of speed on a couple of occassions. however as the game wore on he didn't do much. he poses little to no threat as a goalscorer right now, which hurts the team as in a 4-5-1 formation it usually falls to the 1 to score goals. so you can label him a striker or a centre forward, bottom line is he should be scoring goals. with 5 midfielders it should not be the place of the man up front to come back into the midfield to win balls. i have said it before and i will say it again, dichio cannot play as the lone front man. he will only be effective with a partner as some of you have alluded too. for those of you that insult dichio 'dis-likers' i can only assume you are all rangers fans and are used to the entire team coming back to win balls and posing no attacking threat. that is the only conclusion i can make based on your 'what are you watching/you know nothing about soccer' statements. what should be happening is the defence should play long ball to dichio who can knock it back to the midfield, who in turn can knock it down the wing, who can cross to dichio to score. he should not be coming back to win balls when there are already 5 men in the midfield to be doing this. i think we will struggle to turn these draws into wins unless we switch to 4-4-2, or even better sign a proper goal scorer.

bored at work essay is now over... lol

koryo
05-19-2008, 02:50 PM
I'll buy you a beer!! if Dichio scores :)

If he scores I'll get you a round in as well. cheers.

Mrs. Workie
05-19-2008, 03:38 PM
This was in 112?

Tell them I'd switch my 118 tickets with them please. I'd give anything to sing in support of team with my brothers and sisters.

This is completely shocking. :eek6:

Ya. What's even funnier is that I've never seen them in our section before....

Toronto_Bhoy
05-19-2008, 07:10 PM
I always say that everyone is entitled to their opinion and I respect that.

However, anyone that has played or coached a 4-4-1-1 or 4-5-1 really understands the outstanding job that DD does. I just finished watching the game again...Danny was brilliant. I though he was fanatastic in the first 45. When he flagged in the first 10 of the second I thought okay bring on Cunny and he did exactly what he always does...fuck all!

Every time we got the ball he ran away...we're play 5 in the midfield and where's Jeff...50 yards away...

Do we need a striker...YES...and then who do you drop from the MF? Bye Rohan...your too busy looking at your feet...

When people on here say, "Yeah, but the strikers job is to score goals" I think don't these people understand DD isn't playing a striker in Carver's role?

graeme117
05-19-2008, 07:38 PM

However, anyone that has played or coached a 4-4-1-1 or 4-5-1 really understands the outstanding job that DD does. I just finished watching the game again...Danny was brilliant. I though he was fanatastic in the first 45. When he flagged in the first 10 of the second I thought okay bring on Cunny and he did exactly what he always does...fuck all!

Every time we got the ball he ran away...we're play 5 in the midfield and where's Jeff...50 yards away...

Do we need a striker...YES...and then who do you drop from the MF? Bye Rohan...your too busy looking at your feet...

When people on here say, "Yeah, but the strikers job is to score goals" I think don't these people understand DD isn't playing a striker in Carver's role?

Only disagreement is that i don't think rohan needs to go quite yet ;).

I agree that we need a new striker though, and i agree that DD should stay b/c he does his job well, where cunny does... :noidea: ... well nothing.

Some speed and flair up front would make robert and armando's play look sooooo much better. And having DD around would offer sommit different tactically when we get our DP striker (as a liverpool supporter i know the value of a tall front man with skill at his feet). I have no idea what cunny would offer.

Toronto_Bhoy
05-19-2008, 07:54 PM
Only disagreement is that i don't think rohan needs to go quite yet ;).

I agree that we need a new striker though, and i agree that DD should stay b/c he does his job well, where cunny does... :noidea: ... well nothing.

Some speed and flair up front would make robert and armando's play look sooooo much better. And having DD around would offer sommit different tactically when we get our DP striker (as a liverpool supporter i know the value of a tall front man with skill at his feet). I have no idea what cunny would offer.

If not RR...who?

GeorgeB
05-19-2008, 08:04 PM
If not RR...who?EDU ?

Keyman
05-19-2008, 08:25 PM
However, I think what people are saying about Danny is that although he does a fantastic job as a target man up front, because of his ability to hold up the ball and control the pace of play, he is not the type of player that we need up front. I appreciate what Danny does, I always have, but we simply cannot have Danny playing as a lone man up front. Guevara needs to have the option of playing through balls forward, and he simply cannot do that with Danny in front of him. If Danny were playing beside a small, quick striker, his skills would be better utilized; just like last season. This is not the case this season.

To allow us to play our 4-5-1/4-4-1-1 formation properly, we need a striker with pace, strength, and the ability to continually put the ball in the back of the net. Danny Dichio does not fit that description. No one is slagging Dichio, they are just pointing out the fact that he no longer fits our tactics, he's not a bad player, he's just not the right striker for this team anymore.

graeme117
05-19-2008, 09:14 PM
If not RR...who?

no one yet... just cunny (for the right price)

without RR and robert (could he move into the centre and let armando move wide?) on the wings i really don't know what we'll offer offensively. would edu move out wide? i don't think that would be an improvement, although mo could do it.

I think the solution is to either have Armando push up further and edu play more centrally in-front of robbo. The other is get a striker with speed and strength, and use dichio off the bench to exploit tactical weaknesses.

As it is removing RR doesn't make sense to me b/c i don't see anyone on the bench who can fill that role, and i don't see anyone on the pitch who can do it either. Unless you move jimmy b up on the left, but can he do the job better? can his LB position be filled?

I know you've seen some problems w/ RR play like having his head down, and i agree he needs to look up, and his passing has not been up to snuff yet (although no one's was on saturday). But given a bit of time i think he'll get better. this is b/c i think our MF problems are the result of a system working itself out. Given time (and a striker other than cunny) i think we'll have a lot of options up front and RR is a part of that.

I guess the time argument is always the hardest to accept, especially w/ the way our league is set up, but look at lvp's transition to a rafa's defensive system... the adjustment sucked but they've got it

Milton_Arab
05-19-2008, 09:52 PM

so what you are saying is, we are the only team in world football that doesn't have a player who's main purpose is to score goals??

the fact is, that is dichio's role, but he's not very good at it, so he does what he can do, which is come back into midfield and try and win the ball. we are playing 4-5-1. if the 1 (dichio)'s role isn't to score goals, then who's role is it? :confused:

bhoybobby
05-19-2008, 10:10 PM

spot on:D

tfc88
05-20-2008, 02:40 AM
QFT - Can you put that in 20 point bold font and make it a sticky thread? So many of the posts here and ignorant comments in the stands are made by people who can't grasp this simple fact.

i agree, but at the same time, everyone knows eventually we'll have to change tactics (eventually meaning as soon as they find a solid goal scoring striker from some 2nd division team in europe).

i love dichio, but don't think he's gonna cut it in the long run.