PDA

View Full Version : Grass = No Argos?

Ossington Mental Youth
08-20-2008, 12:07 PM
Does it?
Would it make it official?
If we got grass put in at BMO theres no way the Argos could play there right?

Is this a second benefit?

Ossington Mental Youth
08-20-2008, 12:07 PM
I might be wrong so correct me

jabbronies
08-20-2008, 12:08 PM
Well considering the $$ to put grass may come from the Edu transfer, Why the fuck not.

TFC_Junky
08-20-2008, 12:09 PM
I would hope so. The argos on a real grass pitch would destroy it in a matter of minutes...

Tintin
08-20-2008, 12:09 PM
Not for sure but probably or than it is worst and we play on a chewed up field!!!

That woulb be Tragic but Ironic!!! Be carefull what you wish for...

Troll
08-20-2008, 12:27 PM
They could easily slide the current turf overtop of a real grass pitch, or vice versa.

So no, your theory is false.

DigzTFC!
08-20-2008, 12:32 PM
If we get grass at BMO, which is going to complicated to navigate politically, it means there is ZERO chance the the Argos play at BMO. It would also prevent some extracurricular events happening there to secure the integrity of the pitch. TFC would have to build a training facility that would be available to the public is my guess (and Dobson's)

How do you "easily" slide an artificial turf over a real turf? Like in Korea where they had two pitches?

SilverSamurai
08-20-2008, 12:35 PM
If we get grass at BMO, which is going to complicated to navigate politically, it means there is ZERO chance the the Argos play at BMO. It would also prevent other extracurricular events happening there to secure the integrity of the pitch. TFC would have to build a training facility that would be available to the public is my guess (and Dobson's)

Wouldn't they be able to use turf in the off season though along w/ the bubble?
If they did the bubble at lamport as well, the city would actually be gaining though, in the off season atleast.
Hmm...

Sonny Cheeba
08-20-2008, 12:36 PM
no they could somehow slide fieldturf over top of grass for a few hours. argos don't need to practice there, they just want it for games.

i don't see them moving in though.

DigzTFC!
08-20-2008, 12:38 PM
I don't know, but I do know TFC is looking at a training facility. I don't know what they are looking for in a training facility though. Whatever the case, the city will gain in some way in order to concede to TFC that for nearly 8 months of the year BMO is not a public facility

DigzTFC!
08-20-2008, 12:40 PM
no they could somehow slide fieldturf over top of grass for a few hours. argos don't need to practice there, they just want it for games.

i don't see them moving in though.

Okay, it IS possible what you're talking about, but not plausible with the Argos. This is one of cheapest pro franchises in North America. To reconstruct the facility to do something like that just doesn't seem cost effective for them. Moving into BMO as is doesn't really make any sense. I think we were attacking the problem for different ends of the original statement. me = if argos will come, you = is it possible to have field to accomodate

Blizzard
08-20-2008, 01:04 PM
They could easily slide the current turf overtop of a real grass pitch, or vice versa.

So no, your theory is false.

Uh, no.

One, they'd have to switch to a pallette system as used at the Skydome. Those pallattes are bloody heavy. They would devastate the grass under neath and compact the earth making it hard as rock. The forklifts required to put those pallettes in place would also cause great harm to the grass.

Laying FT over natural grass is not an option!

giambac
08-20-2008, 01:18 PM
I might be wrong so correct me

I wa slistening to the fan this morning. They said the opposite. With grass the Argo officials will have more reason to want to move to BMO. They will fight harder.

time will tell....

Fort York Redcoat
08-20-2008, 01:22 PM
I could see the fan saying that but on what authority are they saying it? The Argos haven't said it. But it does mean the media is already talking about. again.

brad
08-20-2008, 02:25 PM
It will have no impact on whether the Argos move in or not. The TFC deal would allow the city to recoup lost revenue from the rentals, but the Argos are a separate issue from that.

The Argos could still play on real grass (remember, the Eskimos do, so it's not like real grass is unheard of in the CFL), the Argos would rip it to shreds for us, and everyone (players and fans) would be complaining about how terrible the pitch is.

As an aside, I remember watching a CMNT game at Commonwealth a few years ago. The pitch was is horrible shape. There were massive swaths of mud with no grass along one of the sides.

ensco
08-20-2008, 02:27 PM
I think you're right, more as a practical matter than anything, because there's zero chance that MLSE will spend millions on anything at BMO, let alone something that risks a worse playing surface, unless they get assurances that the Argos aren't coming

It'll be part of the quid pro quo for MLSE building fieldturf facilities in the CNE parking lot, or at Lamport, or some such

Blizzard
08-20-2008, 03:14 PM
It will have no impact on whether the Argos move in or not. The TFC deal would allow the city to recoup lost revenue from the rentals, but the Argos are a separate issue from that.

The Argos could still play on real grass (remember, the Eskimos do, so it's not like real grass is unheard of in the CFL), the Argos would rip it to shreds for us, and everyone (players and fans) would be complaining about how terrible the pitch is.

As an aside, I remember watching a CMNT game at Commonwealth a few years ago. The pitch was is horrible shape. There were massive swaths of mud with no grass along one of the sides.

If you saw the Whitecaps v Galaxy at Commonwealth earlier this year, it was the same. Horrible.

DigzTFC!
08-20-2008, 03:22 PM
MLSE wouldn't invest in BMO field to have the Argos come in and ruin the field....It won't happen and I think we're underestimating the sway that MLSE has. TFC might be small but their owners can stomp on the Argos whenever they feel like it. Do you think the city really wants to piss of MLSE?

Ossington Mental Youth
08-20-2008, 04:05 PM
If you saw the Whitecaps v Galaxy at Commonwealth earlier this year, it was the same. Horrible.

or even TFC vs Whitecaps for that matter

Blizzard
08-20-2008, 04:11 PM
or even TFC vs Whitecaps for that matter

... at Swangard. Yes. I've never seen Swangard that bad before. It's really been allowed to slide downhill.