PDA

View Full Version : This team can be serious contenders with a quality STRIKER!

giambac
05-17-2008, 10:00 PM
Let me correct that statement. This team can be a serious contender with even an average striker. Problem is we don't even have an average striker.

This team is solid in net, decent at defence (getting stronger with each game), amazing midfileders who can control the game and create chances and advance the ball. Unfortunately then you get to our strikers which is well below par.

I mean I like Dichio but it's time to move beyond him. He looks like a turtle :taz:out there and just can't keep up. It's time for him to consider hanging up the boots. Perhaps move him into an assistant coach role (next year), but this team isn't going anywhere with him.

Today we were playing the top team in the league and we controlled the game but our strikers (Dichio and Cunningham) can't finish off plays. Dichio is to slow and Cunningham although he has speed he has no finesse and no shot.

We could have asily won the game and if managament gets a quality or even average striker than this team will be one of the most feared :taz: teams in the league. As it stands now they will just be an average team which will end up tieing alot of games because they simply can't score.

S_D
05-17-2008, 10:11 PM
They are looking.

Still, Carver said he is looking for improvement from his front-runners.
"I've been banging this drum from the start of the season. We need to improve in certain areas and I still haven't stopped looking. As you all know I was home for a week and I did a lot of work to try and find somebody in that area," Carver said. "The guys who are doing the job for us at the moment are doing a good job but we need better and I think we all know that. It's going to take time. I haven't stopped working on it and neither has (technical director) Mo (Johnston)."

http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20080517&content_id=158658&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280

UltraSuperMegaMo
05-17-2008, 10:18 PM
I agree 100%. Even an above average striker would do. We don’t need a 20 goal scorer, it would be nice, with the way the team is set up we could do much damage with a 10-15 goal scorer.

The problem is who do we get? I’m a bit of nerd about this stuff and have been tracking 5 players via the NET that I feel would work for TFC. All of them were unattached when I started tracking them, now they’re all with teams (actually one’s just on trail). We’re not the only team in the MLS looking for a striker and were certainly not the only team in the world, in our "financial league", looking for a striker.

bhoybobby
05-17-2008, 10:21 PM
Not if Ricketts & Robert continue to do 4/5ths of fuck all. Their effort & application was terrible. Dichio was left to hold the line & dish the ball around.

Ricketts is all hype

Sab0tage
05-17-2008, 10:27 PM
Not if Ricketts & Robert continue to do 4/5ths of fuck all. Their effort & application was terrible. Dichio was left to hold the line & dish the ball around.

Ricketts is all hype I actually thought Robert played pretty good today. He got through Columbus players easily and made some nice passes, and was good at slowing the plays down. A couple of times as he got towards the box he had to slow down as there was nobody to pass to, so he eventually lost it.

UltraSuperMegaMo
05-17-2008, 10:27 PM

Ricketts is all hype

That’s a tad harsh. I think Robert played quite well today, uh, Ricketts not so much

jloome
05-17-2008, 10:41 PM

Ricketts is all hype

Thoroughly disagree; Robert was one of the best players out there today, Ricketts created several chances (and admittedly missed one, but he's never been a scorer, he's a winger). They can both play both sides, so they can both come inside or exploit the fullback is he's up. Robert's set pieces are fucking superb and Ricketts rarely loses the ball.

Oh, and on the subject at hand, yes, we definitely need a quality striker.

Daveisonfire
05-17-2008, 10:42 PM
I thought Robert played well today too...couple inches and we are celebrating a 1-0 win

giambac
05-17-2008, 10:54 PM

Ricketts is all hype

I agree and diagree with you.

I think Robert looked good today and created chances. The thing i find with him is that often he tries to do to much. He has to move the ball more and not hold it for so long.

As for Rickets I agree. So far he has been all hype and nothing more. I've watche dhim in the four games he has palyed and he hasn't done much. I keep looking for something or signs that he may be a quality player but I just don't see it. At best he is average and maybe that's why he was no lomnger wanted in the English league. I realize it is a new taem and a new league for him but after 4 games he has looked rather mediocre.

Azerban
05-17-2008, 11:00 PM
I agree 100%. Even an above average striker would do. We don’t need a 20 goal scorer, it would be nice, with the way the team is set up we could do much damage with a 10-15 goal scorer.

20 goals would've won the Golden Boot in this league every year but 4. 15 would win it twice.

UltraSuperMegaMo
05-17-2008, 11:05 PM
20 goals would've won the Golden Boot in this league every year but 4. 15 would win it twice.

Fair point. Maybe 9-13 goals. My point was with the midfield scoring and scoring on set pieces, we need someone who can make a difference sometimes, but not all the time. Mo and Carver really have to get to it on this one.

Cashcleaner
05-17-2008, 11:05 PM
I thought Robert played well today too...couple inches and we are celebrating a 1-0 win

It's depressing but you're right about soccer being a game of both yards and inches. I'm not all that bent out of shape over the result myself. I think we dominated and got a very convincing draw against a team that had previously been tearing up the league. I'm starting to think giambac may be right about Ricketts, but Robert has pretty good positioning for the most part and he definitely poses a threat.

We could have won, but for a matter of inches.

UltraSuperMegaMo
05-17-2008, 11:13 PM
It's depressing but you're right about soccer being a game of both yards and inches. I'm not all that bent out of shape over the result myself. I think we dominated and got a very convincing draw against a team that had previously been tearing up the league. I'm starting to think giambac may be right about Ricketts, but Robert has pretty good positioning for the most part and he definitely poses a threat.

We could have won, but for a matter of inches.

I think the ‘yards and inches’ thing has been true for us all season. At least a half a dozen times (not today however) Dichio has been just a step too slow to convert a goal scoring chance.

I think Carver and Mo should try to find the UK equivalent to Emillio. If they’re so juiced into things over there, why not? As long we don’t bring back Kevin Gall - he’s just been made available for a free transfer by Carlisle United.

Red CB Toronto
05-17-2008, 11:22 PM
We really need someone with that great finishing touch up front, with that I think all looks bright for us as a complete team. It will be great to get one, but hey sometimes there are hard to find and figure out who is the right one for you.

Daveisonfire
05-17-2008, 11:24 PM
If we get a quality striker [DP worthy] and we play like we did today against Columbus, we will be unstoppable, no doubt in my mind.

Laurignano
05-18-2008, 12:17 AM
Robert played good in my humble opinion.
Ricketts is over rated and I am not liking him too much. He isnt doing anything to really......how do i say it? Excite me?! He seems like he aint there. Even Welshy boy would be involved in the game and make some runs and stuff.

Dichio isn't right for this formation. One thing you gotta remember the Turf is not going to help any of our older players as well...i

But we really really need a new striker upfront and Its obvious. Our club has not been able to score a goal in the last few games w/o it being a free kick...that worries me.

bignickel
05-18-2008, 12:51 AM

Ricketts is all hype

another agree and disagree. ricketts still hasn't been a major factor. he should have buried the chance he had all alone.

robert however, played a big game today. he hung onto the ball making some very good plays. too bad he hit the post because he made a mess of their defence on that play. definitely want to see more of todays robert. he was very aggressive.

giambac
05-18-2008, 07:52 AM
So it seems most are in agreement.

This team can be feared and unstoppable with a striker.

Funny how that one position would make this taem a complete team.

I think Mo didi a great job in bringing in Robert and especially Guevera for our midfield. Maybe the focus should have been on a striker rather than ricketts who hasn't adjusted. Sorrry BIg Burva

The football season overseas has ended so now is the time boys.

djking2
05-18-2008, 08:15 AM
I don't think we should be bashing RR just yet. Edu had a few blunders yesterday not to mention Robbo making great defensive tackles and immediately passing it right back to the guys in yellow. I'm surprised he was MOTM. The biggest influence on the game was the wind and if GBS had a hang glider he could have dove all the way back to Columbus.

With a new striker we'll kick ass.

joel
05-18-2008, 08:18 AM
Yeah where's the 'Ricketts will silence doubters weekly' guy? Not a lot happening from him yet.

ag futbol
05-18-2008, 08:19 AM
Like most people I'm positive on Robert and not so sure about Ricketts. He has good pace and speed to take defenders 1 v. 1 but the end product (and even simple passes) are lacking. He has to get his head into the game a little more, he's wayy too reactionary out there.

The problems (as i see it so far) despite the talent we have on this team there are reeally only two guys who are a threat to shoot (Guevara and Robert). Everyone else looks like they went to the Andre Lombardo school of finishing. Watching teams like NER and Houston, I'm noticing that ever player on those teams is a threat to shoot from distance. Given, they blaze quite a few over the net but it still opens up the game a little more. We're a little too predictable in the attack so far.

professor
05-18-2008, 10:51 AM
I like how Robert gets a little greedy going into and through the attacking third, he wants IT!

Ricketts is becoming the master of the negative pass

Cunningham should be released/waived/whatever and Dichio tied to the bench

Give Smith the minutes as a striker

Sign Tancredi or Sinclair from the women's NT

But enough of Dichio & Cunningham, clearly they can't contribute within the current set up

Pyeddo
05-18-2008, 10:57 AM
I think Robert played a solid game... he got our best chance but rung it off the post... so damn close. He made quick work on the wings moving the ball up and creating space... so he's looking to pay off.

But 110% that we need a quality man upfront as we have a solid midfield that could service a proper striker

koryo
05-18-2008, 10:59 AM
The thing with Dichio is this: he's the same player he's been throughout his career - nothing's changed on that front except his age, which is showing.

Last year he was alright because we had a midfield that was more suited to him, and he didn't play alone up front.

Of course, this year we are a much more up-tempo team, so the fit is no longer there. Dichio was never the lone target-man player in his career, but that's exactly what we need now: pace, instinct and the ability to convert quickly.

To get more out of Dichio we need to partner him up front, at which point we lose control in the mid.

Cunningham I don't rate. He's fast but couldn't score in a month of Fridays.

Now is the time to either a) replace Cunny with another SI striker, or b) DP

Bringing in proven firepower up front will push this team into contention.

giambac
05-18-2008, 11:01 AM
I like how Robert gets a little greedy going into and through the attacking third, he wants IT!

Ricketts is becoming the master of the negative pass

Cunningham should be released/waived/whatever and Dichio tied to the bench

Give Smith the minutes as a striker

Sign Tancredi or Sinclair from the women's NT

But enough of Dichio & Cunningham, clearly they can't contribute within the current set up

AMEN!

torfchamilton
05-18-2008, 12:02 PM
This may be a bit long winded, but oh well. We are definetely missing a striker. Everybody knows it.

Now I am going to take a look at our play from the opposing team's coach and J.C Osorio perfected the plan when we played the RBNY.

Everybody knows that we play a 4-5-1. So lets start with Danny D. I am going to tell my centre backs to drape themselves all over him and make it really difficult to receive the ball. If he does receive it, let's make it difficult for him to lay it off b/c we are going to crowd the midfield. I know he does not make runs into space so we can easily mark him.

Let's move to the 5 midfielders. We like to play with our wide players, Robert and Ricketts. When our wide players receive the ball, they try and dribble into space. I am not sure if you have noticed, as soon as our wingers get the ball the fullback marks and the fullback forces them into a position where their winger helps and double teams are winger. Many times our wingers don't realize that they are going to be double teamed and we lose the ball.

Now look at Guevara, Robinson and Edu. They are so crowded in the middle and a lot of times passes are really hard to make b/c of the congestion. Guevara is really good on the ball, but there is only so much he can do when he cannot spring the striker forward b/c Dichio is only a target man and can only play in a static position.

So now every teams plan is to clog the middle up, mark Dichio with guys all over his back and double team the wingers each time they get the ball. The dead bulls did it really well, the Crew were ok, but we were never going to score yesterday even if we added 30 mins of extra time.

If you look at out last few goals, Robert, Guevara and Velez's goals were on set plays or free kicks etc. I forgot Guevara scored a goal from open play that deflected off of the KC defender to him. So that is the last goal we scored from open play.

Now if we hypothetically added a striker like JP Angel. I only use him b/c he is the type that we need. He can receive the ball to his feet(Cunningham can't), and into space(Dichio can't). He is good in the air and can hold the ball and allow the team to move up. What a differece it would make if we had a player of that calibre(for MLS standards) as our lone striker with our current 4-5-1 system

Oldtimer
05-18-2008, 12:31 PM
torfchamilton, I like your analysis and agree with your conclusions.
I think Dichio still has a place to play amoung certain teams (he can really disrupt some teams' defences), but a DP-quality striker is indeed what we need for that service when the better teams (such as Columbus) close down our options.

torfchamilton
05-18-2008, 12:41 PM
Dichio is great for 10-20 minutes, when we are losing and perhaps taking a defender off. He wil give you 150% and would be great to just cause havoc in the box. Cunningham needs a lot of service and so theoretically needs to start b/c of the type of player he is. Yes he scored in LA, but really surprised that they left him in a 1v1 situation in that game. In all honesty, Cunningham cannot play in the 4-5-1 system. Dichio will not be traded but, will become a coach at some point. Cunningham can still play and probably would be beneficial to some team. Lets tradwe him or better yet, just get some $$$ for him to use to pay a salary down.

Roogsy
05-18-2008, 12:44 PM
I understand where you are coming from Bhoybobby...but think of this.

Last year, instead of Ricketts....we had Welsh on the wing.

I am ok with the progress we are making. At least Ricketts has shown willingness and ability to beat that last man and cross the balls in.

What we need now is someone to stretch the defence and provide some a genuine scoring threat. At this point, I don't think we need to address the Robert and Rickett situation until we address what we are going to do upfront.

I think Dichio should come off the bench not start. I have been saying it for weeks.

torfchamilton
05-18-2008, 01:09 PM
I think Dichio should come off the bench not start. I have been saying it for weeks.

You are absolutely right, but unfortunately Cunningham should be coming off the bench as well. Cunningham cannot play in this system, especially if they want him to receive the ball as a target man. If you just keep sending long balls, then he is playing by himself as well. We are in a no win situation.

jloome
05-18-2008, 01:15 PM
At least Ricketts has shown willingness and ability to beat that last man and cross the balls in.

Well, what did that take? Seven games before everyone started looking for a whipping boy? The point above is important. Why? Because that's his fucking job. Create space, cross the ball in. He's a winger. He's only ever been a winger. He has never been a solid inside player, he has never been a scorer (and how many times do people have to be warned not tp expect that much on that front, exactly).

Yes, he's only a winger. But he's a very solid winger. He beats defenders with ease, he crosses over well with Wynne and he can cross with both feet. Plus, pretty much all of his crosses actually end up in the box.

Fuck people, give the guy a break. He's one of the most solid wingers in the league. No, he's not Ronnie O'. But O'Brien is a different type of player, a player who thrives on cutting isnide and essentially keying the offense.

Ricketts, on the other hand, is a winger.

Sometime this week, I'm gonna sit down and go over every game's video and count the following: How many times he tried to get the ball into their zone; how many crosses he tried to put into the box; and how many times he tracked back to play defense and made an important play.

I absolutely fucking guarantee the stats alone will make the Ricketts doubters eat it.

Fiin
05-18-2008, 01:28 PM
Well, what did that take? Seven games before everyone started looking for a whipping boy? The point above is important. Why? Because that's his fucking job. Create space, cross the ball in. He's a winger. He's only ever been a winger. He has never been a solid inside player, he has never been a scorer (and how many times do people have to be warned not tp expect that much on that front, exactly).

Yes, he's only a winger. But he's a very solid winger. He beats defenders with ease, he crosses over well with Wynne and he can cross with both feet. Plus, pretty much all of his crosses actually end up in the box.

Fuck people, give the guy a break. He's one of the most solid wingers in the league. No, he's not Ronnie O'. But O'Brien is a different type of player, a player who thrives on cutting isnide and essentially keying the offense.

Sometime this week, I'm gonna sit down and go over every game's video and count the following: How many times he tried to get the ball into their zone; how many crosses he tried to put into the box; and how many times he tracked back to play defense and made an important play.

I absolutely fucking guarantee the stats alone will make the Ricketts doubters eat it.

I so couldnt agree more. He just needs someone to get the ball too. I see him beating defenders all the time and crossing it in, and most of the time its the ball receiver who screws it up (seen Dichio botch 2 last game in the 1st half :(). You give this kid the right person on the attack to hit with the ball, and he'll lead the assist column.

For people who dont think he scores enough, go look at his lifetime statistics.. not much in the way of goals at all.

Not ranting here lol, but give people a chance, everyone wants to defend DD with "his style of play" or "he doesnt do that" but when it comes to guys like Ricketts its "he needs to score more" and shit.. when evaluating players you have to be consistant in the way you do it to be fair.

:deadhorse: << What we are doing to some of the players imo.

kdzb
05-18-2008, 01:45 PM
There is a reason why Robert is growing selfish in this team and he prefers finishing himself.
2 or 3 opportunities during the game where he made crucial passes and were lost easily.
I guess he doesn't trust his teamates to finish through his hard work anymore and that is very sad.
CARVER/MO it's time to get Robert and Guevara a real finisher or they will start to be upset and we will see the side of them that unfortunately are known with.
Robert is a first class player and for him to be at the top of his game, he needs an above than average finisher who can complete what he started.

Roogsy
05-18-2008, 02:08 PM
So we all agree...we need a true finisher to start as a striker.

Do you think we will get one this year?

The European season is now over (if that is where TFC is looking) and I think it would be a waste to let this season go without going all out.

kdzb
05-18-2008, 02:13 PM
There is a thread that was open for Pauleta in this board.
I guess he is the true finisher that we are looking for and he is a realistic target.

ag futbol
05-18-2008, 02:24 PM
Some of you guys are getting pretty sensitive. I mean sort of a guy having an early season Valez performance it's like you can't point out one negative aspect.

Ricketts generally does a good job beating his man, he needs to keep his head up more, and his crosses hopefully will improve. That's a pretty accurate assessment. The majority of the people here aren't blaming him for anything but it's a flaw in his game, for sure.

Marco2K
05-18-2008, 02:40 PM
There is a thread that was open for Pauleta in this board.
I guess he is the true finisher that we are looking for and he is a realistic target.

well he would be the perfect guy.

Bring him if for about 1.5 million

Fiin
05-18-2008, 02:59 PM
So we all agree...we need a true finisher to start as a striker.

Do you think we will get one this year?

The European season is now over (if that is where TFC is looking) and I think it would be a waste to let this season go without going all out.

I agree 100% there. And I am not as sure as everyone else seems to be we are going to land one, and for once its not me hating on MLSE, I just dont know if Mo will find what he wants for what he wants if yah know what I mean.

bhoybobby
05-18-2008, 04:18 PM
You are absolutely right, but unfortunately Cunningham should be coming off the bench as well. Cunningham cannot play in this system, especially if they want him to receive the ball as a target man. If you just keep sending long balls, then he is playing by himself as well. We are in a no win situation.

Cunny should come off the bench & onto a plane out of T.O.:D

Seriously, Carver doesn't rate him, he brings nothing to the way Carver wants us to play. He's a one trick pony(speed without skill)

ManUtd4ever
05-18-2008, 04:46 PM
I have strong faith that TFC's lack of quality at the striker position will be addressed by the summer transfer window if not sooner. Management must sense that this squad as currently constructed is one solid finisher away from being a legitimate championship contender. Johnston and Carver have earned my trust as well as patience. History has shown us that ultimately, the right player will be brought in to fill the void and then the possibilities are endless...

Nomad
05-18-2008, 05:02 PM
Cunny should come off the bench & onto a plane out of T.O.:D

Seriously, Carver doesn't rate him, he brings nothing to the way Carver wants us to play. He's a one trick pony(speed without skill)

96 goals would tell you otherwise. I don't think it's that...i genuinely believe Cunny does not want to be here anymore. I do agree that carver doesn't rate him though.

I will also reiterate that bringing in an old guy, fresh off a full season and banking on past glories is not the answer we need to getting a quality striker.

jabbronies
05-18-2008, 06:18 PM
How much would a DP striker cost us?? (in terms of actually Salary Cap hit)
What do we have left? Can we afford that without loosing what we have?

rocker
05-18-2008, 06:34 PM
How much would a DP striker cost us?? (in terms of actually Salary Cap hit)
What do we have left? Can we afford that without loosing what we have?

if mojo leaves it until the summer transfer window (less than a month away) the DP apparently costs 200K. at least that was the word last year when Becks and Blanco arrived mid season. it might just be the prorated thing (like Sammy last year had a contract that was prorated over the # of games left in the season, so it looked lower than it was this season when it had to be over 30 games).

nobody really knows what TFC has left exactly under the cap. But even if they were at the max, they could trade Cunny (to San jose??) and clear up more than enough for the half season DP. They do need to free up a spot on the senior roster for a DP.

Jings
05-18-2008, 07:54 PM
In Carvers post game interveiw he talks about how in a tight game like he expected with Columbus set plays were going to win the game, and that Danny matched up better against there back four. He mentions when he sent Cunny in for DD he gave him a piece of paper to give to Jimmy telling him what set plays would then be used...he has a plan and trys to follow it.
I would still like to see Jarrod Smith brought in to replace DD rather than Cunny though.

rocker
05-18-2008, 08:12 PM
ohhh, thanks for the explanation of the piece of paper. I wondered what was going on there... i saw Cunny hand JB something and wasn't sure.

jabbronies
05-18-2008, 08:23 PM
ohhh, thanks for the explanation of the piece of paper. I wondered what was going on there... i saw Cunny hand JB something and wasn't sure.

Ya I saw Cunny run straight to the back line and I was like WTF!!!

shaggingscot
05-18-2008, 08:28 PM
96 goals would tell you otherwise. I don't think it's that...i genuinely believe Cunny does not want to be here anymore. I do agree that carver doesn't rate him though.

I will also reiterate that bringing in an old guy, fresh off a full season and banking on past glories is not the answer we need to getting a quality striker.

96 goals in 250 odd games isn't a great strike rate, especially when you consider the amount of chances he wastes. He's been the same wherever he's played in this league Jeff Cunningham is out for himself, I'd have sent his ass out after his temper tantrum following the penalty. I'd rather give Edu at shot at striker before I'd put Cunningham on the pitch again.

Hopefully we won't have to put up with him much longer.

Draracle
05-18-2008, 09:20 PM
Cunny is losing his spot fast. He is supposed to be our speedy strike option, and he has very very rarely been that. If we had a decent strike option we would score a lot more. Right now it is Guevara and Robert providing all the offense.

J .
05-18-2008, 11:21 PM
Cunny isn't as fast as he was. Dichio I think is good enough, Cunny has really been a disappointment. I think the point is to have Guevara, Robert and Rickets to get the offense going. I can see is making some additions this summer.

On Saturday Edu should have had three goals, Robert put one in off the post and we dominated for long stretches. Columbus will be pleased with getting stealing a point.

giambac
05-19-2008, 08:52 AM

First of all it hasn't been 7 games. I believe he has played only 4 games (the current home stand).

I believe part of the problem with Ricketts was the hype surrounding his signing. Carter first signed Robert and then Guevera who both have looked great. Then came Ricketts and everyone thought because of his experience in the English league he would easily step into the MLS. Everyone said we had the top midfield in the league.

Well after watching him I totally disagree. We have the top 2/3 in Robert and Guevera but Ricketts hasn't adjusted. I expected him to improve with each game but he has gone in the opposite direction. In the first game the dude fucked up a 4 on 1 and didn't pass or even take a shot. I know know why he didn't shoot because he has no force in his shot. Watching him in the past 2 games, he dribbles the ball with his head down. He never has his head up and therefore can't see the open player or the opposing player. As such he eventually loses control of the ball. To me he is at best just an average joe.

Not a bad palyer but just an average joe, and hasn't even come close to the hype when he was signed.

JDG
05-19-2008, 09:13 AM
First of all it hasn't been 7 games. I believe he has played only 4 games (the current home stand).

I believe part of the problem with Ricketts was the hype surrounding his signing. Carter first signed Robert and then Guevera who both have looked great. Then came Ricketts and everyone thought because of his experience in the English league he would easily step into the MLS. Everyone said we had the top midfield in the league.

Well after watching him I totally disagree. We have the top 2/3 in Robert and Guevera but Ricketts hasn't adjusted. I expected him to improve with each game but he has gone in the opposite direction. In the first game the dude fucked up a 4 on 1 and didn't pass or even take a shot. I know know why he didn't shoot because he has no force in his shot. Watching him in the past 2 games, he dribbles the ball with his head down. He never has his head up and therefore can't see the open player or the opposing player. As such he eventually loses control of the ball. To me he is at best just an average joe.

Not a bad palyer but just an average joe, and hasn't even come close to the hype when he was signed.

If your disappointment is based on the hype before he was signed, I think you should consider that the hype was less about Ricketts himself, and more about the fact that we had a new source for entertainment in Big Bruva, after an off-season where we had nothing to smile about.
Nobody said Ricketts would be the Messiah. His record was examined & questioned at the time, but we had hope that he would be a good fit.

giambac
05-19-2008, 09:23 AM
If your disappointment is based on the hype before he was signed, I think you should consider that the hype was less about Ricketts himself, and more about the fact that we had a new source for entertainment in Big Bruva, after an off-season where we had nothing to smile about.
Nobody said Ricketts would be the Messiah. His record was examined & questioned at the time, but we had hope that he would be a good fit.

You are correct. I think all the hype came around the Big Bruva and Bruva tells no lies concept.

Anyways Ricketts is definetly no Messiah. I now know why people gave up on him in the English league. I mean he has looked average in the MLS so that tells you alot.

But like I said I have no problem with him. He can and does fill a role on this team. People just have to take him for what he is. I just thought that they would have taught him in Soccer 101 to dribble with his head up. His head is always down.

Nevertheless, he isn't our problem. Our problem is our strikers (or lack thereof)

mighty_torontofc_2008
05-19-2008, 09:36 AM
Cunny isn't as fast as he was. Dichio I think is good enough, Cunny has really been a disappointment. I think the point is to have Guevara, Robert and Rickets to get the offense going. I can see is making some additions this summer.

On Saturday Edu should have had three goals, Robert put one in off the post and we dominated for long stretches. Columbus will be pleased with getting stealing a point.

Dichio is not good enough, he has looked lost on the pitch for the last 4 games for christ sakes. Cunny hast been playing so how can he be a disapointment? its hard to make thing happen when you come on 10-15 mionutes left in a match?

Jamaicanadian
05-19-2008, 09:36 AM
You are correct. I think all the hype came around the Big Bruva and Bruva tells no lies concept.

Anyways Ricketts is definetly no Messiah. I now know why people gave up on him in the English league. I mean he has looked average in the MLS so that tells you alot.

But like I said I have no problem with him. He can and does fill a role on this team. People just have to take him for what he is. I just thought that they would have taught him in Soccer 101 to dribble with his head up. His head is always down.

Nevertheless, he isn't our problem. Our problem is our strikers (or lack thereof)

I've seen this comment a few times by some RPB pundits...What if R-double left England on his own accord?...Please post an article, any article, that suggests he was pushed out...We could use this same "there is a reason why he's here" argument against any current player that is on the TFC roster (or in the MLS for that matter) that has played across the pond or in a "bigger league".

adammac
05-19-2008, 10:30 AM
All this time when people were talking about getting a DP striker and my opinion on it was wait til you build a half decent side then fill in the final position with one that can make us a very competitive side and I really think this time is now.

rocker
05-19-2008, 10:38 AM
All this time when people were talking about getting a DP striker and my opinion on it was wait til you build a half decent side then fill in the final position with one that can make us a very competitive side and I really think this time is now.

yep, good timing as well not just because of the state of this team, but that the euro leagues are all ending and players may become available.

Rawkus_420
05-19-2008, 10:59 AM

Ricketts is all hype

I disagree, without a doubt robert was the man of the match. lets see he hit the post.....Put several balls within 10 feet of the goal, where all we needed was ANYONE to tap it in, hell if I was playing I could have tapped those in, he put them in great spots , nobody could get to the empty space in front of their goal.

Where you at this game? Fuck i was drunk and I noticed that robert played well, and ricketts did okay, but I do agree you're being a little harsh.

TFC07
05-19-2008, 11:42 AM
San Jose’s Most Wanted: Strikers

THE WILY VETERANS:

Cristiano Lucarelli
Kevin Phillips
Oliver Neuville
Martin Palermo
Bruno Marioni
Martin Cardetti

THE (RELATIVELY) YOUNG GAMBLES:
Clinton Morrison
Meyong Ze
Reinaldo Navia
Allan Delon Santos Dantas
Sibusiso Zuma

http://americansoccerreader.com/2008/05/19/san-joses-most-wanted-strikers/

-----------------------------

Do you guys think any of these strikers could be useful for TFC?

Captain Croatia
05-19-2008, 11:50 AM
Lucarelli and Palermo would wreck the MLS, as for the others i dont know beacuse i dont know who they are. Lol

UltraSuperMegaMo
05-19-2008, 02:34 PM
San Jose’s Most Wanted: Strikers

THE WILY VETERANS:

Cristiano Lucarelli
Kevin Phillips
Oliver Neuville
Martin Palermo
Bruno Marioni
Martin Cardetti

THE (RELATIVELY) YOUNG GAMBLES:
Clinton Morrison
Meyong Ze
Reinaldo Navia
Allan Delon Santos Dantas
Sibusiso Zuma

http://americansoccerreader.com/2008/05/19/san-joses-most-wanted-strikers/

-----------------------------

Do you guys think any of these strikers could be useful for TFC?

Nice find TFC07. I think the majority of the players on the list would fit in with TFC (or the Quakes for that matter) nicely. I just don’t see any of them being very realistic MLS targets. For example the list has two players who are top scorers on their Championship sides, what makes anyone think they’d want to come to the MLS. Maybe they’re a little long in the tooth, but the Championship’s getting to be like Serie A in that it’s cool with 30+ players (look at Dion Dublin with Norwich). The only player on that list I can see coming to the MLS is the Brazilian fellow playing in their second division (I hope I’m wrong).

I think it might be time to start tossing around Carl Cort’s name again. Big powerful forward, good (thought admittedly not great) goal scorer record, still has some pace left at 30. I believe his contract at UD Marbella is going to be up soon. I’m also pretty sure that he was at Newcastle at the same time as Carver.

A couple of other players I think could contribute and are potentially available on a free (Redan’s currently trialing at Aberdeen):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trevor_Benjamin (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trevor_Benjamin)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iwan_Redan (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iwan_Redan)

Superstars? No, but I think that they’re the kind of players that could give us the 8-11 goals throughout a season that could win some games and breaks some ties.