PDA

View Full Version : I fucking love this guy : John Carver

GabrielHurl
05-17-2008, 09:35 PM
Could we ask for a better head coach?

TORONTO (AP)—Toronto FC and Columbus tied 0-0 Sunday, keeping both teams’ unbeaten streaks alive in a dull game enlivened afterward by Toronto coach John Carver’s comments.

Carver singled out the Crew’s Guillermo Barros Schelotto (http://sports.yahoo.com/mls/players/1620/;_ylt=Ar_FiRzv.yh_5GWKzUloEWWBvrYF), who spent the afternoon theatrically tumbling to the ground and complaining to the referee.

“I’ve not seen anything like it, to be honest,” Carver said. “I’ve never been involved with anything like that before.”

Columbus coach Sigi Schmid said he talked to his player at halftime and would have more words with him. But he chose not to engage Carver in a war of words. “I think he’s got to worry about his players and I’ll worry about my players,” Schmid said.

http://us.bc.yahoo.com/b?P=N6dP0EwNdHGxf66_SAD3YwEIY.f4xUgvlJkAAUw8&T=140m06itn%2fX%3d1211077785%2fE%3d95862401%2fR%3d sports%2fK%3d5%2fV%3d2.1%2fW%3dH%2fY%3dYAHOO%2fF%3 d1355687110%2fQ%3d-1%2fS%3d1%2fJ%3dCD750D4C&U=13eb0l2n9%2fN%3dqtNxJkwNBl0-%2fC%3d619213.12513325.12865020.1323516%2fD%3dSKY% 2fB%3d4919383%2fV%3d1

“Guillermo is a very competitive individual who plays with a lot of passion and fire, he felt he got fouled a couple of times and it didn’t get called,” he added. “He plays with that emotion but that’s also what makes him a good player.”

Adding to Carver’s ire, the 43-year-old rookie coach had been singled out in a DVD sent to game officials for his behavior at Toronto’s previous home game.

“Rightly so, possibly,” Carver said. “But today we saw a fellow professional, diving all over the park and is anything going to be done about that? I don’t know.”

The English coach was clearly upset at being featured in the DVD.

“I’m a very passionate guy and I love the game. And that’s the way I am. And apparently they don’t want that in the MLS. They don’t want passionate people. They don’t want people who care for the game and wear their heart on the sleeve.”

“They want me to sit down on the chair, in the dugout with my arms folded, my legs crossed and just be a nice little boy and get a suntan,” he continued. “Well, no. If that’s what they want to get, I’ll get on a plane and fly home again.”

Carver acknowledged his behavior last time out was “probably out of order.”

“But whether it merits a DVD going out to all the officials in the league, I’m not so sure.”

Toronto FC’s fans didn’t care for Schelotto’s act, either.

A drink was hurled in his direction after he toppled to the turf near the corner for no apparent reason late in the half and he was eventually given a yellow card for diving late in the game and was substituted to a chorus of boos in injury time.

Columbus (6-1-1) had a five-game winning streak ended. Laurent Robert nearly scored for Toronto in the 60th minute, drifting in from the right, beating two defenders and sending a left-footed shot past goalkeeper William Hesner and off the post.

Columbus hasn’t lost in six games while Toronto (3-2-2) is unbeaten in five.
In the 77th, Robert sent in a short cross that substitute Jeff Cunningham (http://sports.yahoo.com/mls/players/31/;_ylt=ApyayW0ZMOoR8LEDwG5ZL4OBvrYF) couldn’t handle. Minutes later, Rohan Ricketts wasted an opportunity when his weak shot went straight at Hesmer.

Columbus’ best chance in the second half came in the 54th minute when Venezuelan striker Alejandro Moreno (http://sports.yahoo.com/mls/players/875/;_ylt=Ah_na09EELqghObJ9mbwbyyBvrYF) sent a shot wide.

Columbus didn’t get a shot off until the 22nd minute, but Greg Sutton (http://sports.yahoo.com/mls/players/444/;_ylt=Ao2bFH1zGT4YqEX2lgq.3jqBvrYF) easily caught it. In the 25th, Robbie Rogers (http://sports.yahoo.com/mls/players/1571/;_ylt=AqmzC_wl79gxjGUYQcUsTHmBvrYF) turned a defender and put a shot on target while Sutton was out of position, but defender cleared it off the line.

GabrielHurl
05-17-2008, 09:37 PM
Totally agree with Carver on this - that little prick wearing #7 today has officially taken over Landycakes as the BIGGEST cunt in MLS

Cashcleaner
05-17-2008, 09:44 PM
I like Carver. I like him because he's a big loud-mouthed asshole. He's a big loudmouth asshole who knows how to run a proper football team and brings intensity to our club. Fuck, he brings a level of intensity not seen before on the sidelines in this whole fucking league.

S_D
05-17-2008, 09:46 PM
Diving asses like Schelotto and Ruiz are one of the reasons why footie won't be taken seriously by the American public. The MLS needs to do something about it now before it starts getting out of hand.

As for Carver going out on DVD, what did he do?

Sab0tage
05-17-2008, 09:47 PM
I like Carver. I like him because he's a big loud-mouthed asshole. He's a big loudmouth asshole who knows how to run a proper football team and brings intensity to our club. Fuck, he brings a level of intensity not seen before on the sidelines in this whole fucking league. I agree. I really like Carver as a coach. He really knows how to push his players to perform better. Hell, he even pushes us supporters to up our game.

sully
05-17-2008, 09:54 PM
I like Carver. I like him because he's a big loud-mouthed asshole. He's a big loudmouth asshole who knows how to run a proper football team and brings intensity to our club. Fuck, he brings a level of intensity not seen before on the sidelines in this whole fucking league.

agree with everything but the asshole part....Carver has been great so far...class guy who clearly cares a great deal for this team and fans..

forza_tfc
05-17-2008, 09:54 PM
Unlike many people in the league, Carver has balls and brains. That Schelotto is a serious Landycakesque douche.

peskypetey
05-17-2008, 09:55 PM
Diving asses like Schelotto and Ruiz are one of the reasons why footie won't be taken seriously by the American public. The MLS needs to do something about it now before it starts getting out of hand.

Yeah, its the biggest complaint I hear from non footy fans. I was glad to see the ref give him a yellow for it... now if they could just do it more often it might actually stop the diving.

Cashcleaner
05-17-2008, 09:57 PM
agree with everything but the asshole part....Carver has been great so far...class guy who clearly cares a great deal for this team and fans..

I should have mentioned that I mean it as a term of endearment. :)

andyc
05-17-2008, 10:01 PM
I'd love to go for a beer or 12 with Carver... If he says this shit in a press conference, what do you think he'd be like in a bar???

I like Carver a lot!

giambac
05-17-2008, 10:03 PM

Great to see someone with passion and someone who wears his heart on his sleeve.

Fort York Redcoat
05-17-2008, 10:03 PM
Brilliant. Where can I buy the DVD...

bhoybobby
05-17-2008, 10:07 PM

I like Carver as well.

I'd love him if he could put a rocket under Ricketts & Robert. Ricketts is very overrated & Robert, while a talent, is a lazy prick:mad:

UltraSuperMegaMo
05-17-2008, 10:10 PM
I like the fact that he speaks his mind. I’m less impressed with his threat to pack up and go back to England.

Lenny Dikestra
05-17-2008, 10:12 PM
I like Carver as well.

I'd love him if he could put a rocket under Ricketts & Robert. Ricketts is very overrated & Robert, while a talent, is a lazy prick:mad:

You always speak true truths.. good to see
I have heard stories about both Robert and Guv that when things are good its cool but once the times get tough , they grow vageens a bit

will see ..if we don't lose then no problem

bdrs
05-17-2008, 10:58 PM
Screw those pricks. Carver is OUR coach. We aren't askin them to like him. We need a coach who will go nuts for this team, not some ballet teacher in Ohio. I would hope he wouldn't leave us unless they made him though.

graeme117
05-17-2008, 11:16 PM
just curious... what did JC do at the NYRB match? i hadn't heard anything?... surely JC can do no wrong

Red CB Toronto
05-17-2008, 11:20 PM
John is a great guy, love what he brings to this team, he pulls no punches and says it as he sees it, met him at the TFC-A game on Fridaynight, class act. Was standing in front of what turned out to be the Red section and after some chants with a laugh said it is a little too loud for him as he made his way to the top of the stands, which is where you want to be anyways when scouting.

sidney
05-17-2008, 11:43 PM
At a Fuckin-Boy! Carvs..Fuck that argentinian twat-diver! (and I like plenty an argentinian, just not that beaver-doucher)

ilikemusic
05-18-2008, 12:30 AM
John Carver ran over to the corner and kissed the Tommy Burns you guys had hung up.

I thought that was going to by why you fucking loved him.

That article only makes him even better!

Roogsy
05-18-2008, 03:44 AM
Not sure if this article was posted...but in case it wasn't...

http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/2008/05/17/mls_carver_toronto_fc/

Anyways...we need to do something to show Carver he has OUR support if nothing else...but MLS is doing absolutely NOTHING about their friggin referees.

Buttfuck Schelotto should have had a yellow card in the first half...PERIOD. The fact that he didn't and played the whole game whinging, flopping, threatening, railing and in the face of referees is an embarrassment. And the fact that the MLS has made a point of singling out Carver is disrespectful to a man who has more credibility than most of MLS.

And it is a disrespect to US....the Toronto fans. And we should show that we are not going to accept it.

Would it not have been wiser and more discreet for a private meeting with Carver to simply ask him to tone it down a little IF they felt he was stepping over a line? Instead, they slap him in the face but let that ass on the yellow football team scream at the refs as if he was a pimp and they were his bitches. It's a disgrace!

trane
05-18-2008, 07:16 AM
Thanks, for posting that Roogsy, it does not suprise me, that is the attitude that the MLS has shown to me, they have their own ideas about how things should be, and convinced themsleves that they are a great league. Fuck them we have to show our support for Carver. I love him as our coach and each week he shows me that he is the right choise for us, if the MLS drives him out, I will stop supporting this league as it will prove to me that they will always be second rate, and that there is no place for our kind of passion and love for the game in it.

trane
05-18-2008, 07:22 AM
ANother comment I fucking hate this North American media they called it a "dull game" what the fuck was dull about that game. They realy know shit about Football.

Nuvinho
05-18-2008, 09:06 AM
Not sure if this article was posted...but in case it wasn't...

http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/2008/05/17/mls_carver_toronto_fc/

Anyways...we need to do something to show Carver he has OUR support if nothing else...but MLS is doing absolutely NOTHING about their friggin referees.

Start a donation drive to pay the fine for Carver???

Everyone contribute $1. He needs a $1,000. Even if he doesn't accept it, it can be given to charity. This would definately make news, showing our support for our coach, and our team.

TFC-4-Life
05-18-2008, 10:21 AM
I would vote for Caver for team MVP. He is very strong with tactics and I think with Mo moving up stairs, he can continue to make deals.

koryo
05-18-2008, 10:42 AM

He's not an asshole, he has a backbone and calls a spade a spade.

Oh wait, that does make you an asshole around here...

stugautz
05-18-2008, 10:43 AM
Until the league reviews game tape and issues fines for diving AFTER the game, this will always be a problem.

Dozitwin
05-18-2008, 10:50 AM

Come on Cash, tell us how you really feel, no more of this beating around the bush. :smilielol5:

Azerban
05-18-2008, 10:51 AM

An asshole is not necessarily a bad thing.

koryo
05-18-2008, 10:53 AM
An asshole is not necessarily a bad thing.

We're both essentially saying the same thing. Cash uses the term as a compliment and I whole heartedly agree.

He's annoyed with politicking, dishonest players, and unprofessional refs. He's beginning to realize just how low-rent this league is.

Azerban
05-18-2008, 10:55 AM
We're both essentially saying the same thing. Cash uses the term as a compliment and I whole heartedly agree.

He's annoyed with politicking, dishonest players, and unprofessional refs. He's beginning to realize just how low-rent this league is.

Oh, by 'around here', you mean the league, not the forum. Understood.

koryo
05-18-2008, 11:00 AM
Oh, by 'around here', you mean the league, not the forum. Understood.

I do, and should have clarified.

JDG
05-18-2008, 11:19 AM
John Carver ran over to the corner and kissed the Tommy Burns you guys had hung up.

I thought that was going to by why you fucking loved him.

That article only makes him even better!

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w167/JDeG/DSC04009.jpg

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w167/JDeG/DSC04010.jpg

Roogsy
05-18-2008, 12:59 PM
Carver rocks.

I fuckin love the man. He's done nothing but impress me since he got here.

And has anyone noticed? Despite his reputation of wanting to bring attractive football here...not only is the team able to string more than 2 passes together...but our defence is friggin rocking right now???

I am in heaven. The only thing left is to score a little more and we will be awesome. AWESOME!!!

JC for Prime Minister...

Cambridge_Red
05-18-2008, 03:13 PM
The man is quality we've gone from mediocre to challenging the top teams in the MLS. I'm very excited to see where he will take our team.

Pachuco
05-18-2008, 03:18 PM
And he's a heck of a nice guy as well. Saw him at the TFC Academy game. When he walked in I was just staring at him all star struck. He looks at me, smiles and waves his hand like saying in a humble way, yes I'm Carver :)

The Kingpin
05-18-2008, 03:23 PM

Yes it does... Big time!! :noidea:

The Kingpin
05-18-2008, 03:26 PM

CB is going to be so stoked you captured this...

GBV
05-18-2008, 03:26 PM

i agree, but "diving" in MLS is nothing compared to how much it happens in south america and in europe. it's the part of the game that makes me embarrassed to be such a big fan.

i remember talking to a co-worker prior to the 2007 season and i mentioned i had toronto fc season tickets.
"ah, soccer, nothing but a bunch of diving."
to which i said, "well, north americans don't really dive like the south americans and europeans do."
to which he said, "it's cuz they're not good enough yet."

Cashcleaner
05-18-2008, 04:04 PM

But, of course! :D

And I'm down with Nuvinho's idea of pooling together to pay towards a future fine. He's standing up against the crap refereeing and diving that's making this league a laughingstock. Maybe if he had some of the supporters covering his back (financially speaking), he'd speak out a bit more when it's warranted.

mighty_torontofc_2008
05-18-2008, 04:11 PM
Could we ask for a better head coach?
\

dull game? was this guy who wrote the article even watching? toronto took the game to the eastern leaders keeping them to 3 shots on goal with only one a real scoring chance...great save by marshall on the line.
Mo found the right man to be manger of TFC and Carver is doing a bang up job

bhoybobby
05-18-2008, 04:11 PM
Everyone needs an asshole, otherwise we'd all be full of shite>

ManUtd4ever
05-18-2008, 04:19 PM
JC is TFC's messiah!

Detroit_TFC
05-18-2008, 04:22 PM

One would have to have a heart of stone not be touched by Carver's incredible emotional gesture.

JDG
05-18-2008, 09:50 PM

Has he seen it yet? He's the one guy I was hoping would get to see these shots.

One would have to have a heart of stone not be touched by Carver's incredible emotional gesture.

I was blown away when it happened. I can't beleive I was quick enough to get the camera up in time to capture the moment.

Jack
05-19-2008, 03:59 PM
Has he seen it yet? He's the one guy I was hoping would get to see these shots.

I was blown away when it happened. I can't beleive I was quick enough to get the camera up in time to capture the moment.
Well, he was standing right there when it happened, but I doubt he's seen the pic yet as he rushed off to the cottage right after the game.

The Kingpin
05-19-2008, 04:02 PM
Well, he was standing right there when it happened, but I doubt he's seen the pic yet as he rushed off to the cottage right after the game.

I told him about it and texted him the pic... He's well aware!!

Jack
05-19-2008, 04:09 PM
He had a tear in his eye when Carver did that. (for real)

The Kingpin
05-19-2008, 04:13 PM
He had a tear in his eye when Carver did that. (for real)

Yea, he told me that on the phone... He called (text) me right after to let me know. He was quite stoked... I wish I was there to see that, it would have been right in front of me (as that's where I used to stand as you know). Top moment of the season to date from what I can gather... Quite Awesome

ensco
05-19-2008, 04:26 PM
I think Carver's great, and funny, and all that, and I do recognize and love his passion....

but....

has he really never seen that before in his life? Ever?

I think he was a bit over the top there.

It was an above average but still essentially run-of-the-mill diving exhibition.

Going on like that, and showing up an opposing coach, can't help his rep with the league office.

MUFC_Niagara
05-19-2008, 05:38 PM
We need a Carver chant....this mans tactics are the class of MLS. Our team looks organized and the players know exactly what they're role on the pitch is. That is down to the manager. Carver and Winsper have made all the difference this season. Our conditioning is top notch. The MLS can stick it in their ass. As for him leaving, I don't think he'd leave over this...he just needs to keep doing what he's doing. MLSE and Mo need to communicate on behalf of the coach to the league that these strong arm tactics from the 4th official are not acceptable!

canadian_bhoy
05-19-2008, 06:10 PM
Just got back from the cottage now. I still can't believe what Carver did on Sat, I'm still gobsmacked about the whole thing. It was a surreal moment. I thought he was just coming over to give us a clap but as he got closer and closer, I knew why he was coming over and that's when emotions got the best of me.

Burns was an assistant in 97 following his Celtic manager role, so I am assuming that they would have known each other.
Sorry, but Carver can do no wrong now in my eyes, instant legend.

This just goes to show the type of impact that Burns had on people and the type of person he was...respected by both sides of the OF and quite rightly.

I want the thank Bluenose for his gesture of bringing a Rangers top to place on the side of the banner (with the celtic one on the other side). It was a great sentiment from you and was much appreciated.

Normally I do my best to keep anything not related to TFC out of BMO, but sorry, I just had to to something small for TB on the weekend.

Can't believe Carver though........Legendary, Class act. And calling Sh!tletto a diver as well....good on ya Carver!

Toronto_Bhoy
05-19-2008, 07:25 PM
I was sitting with my Dad when we saw it...as classy as Carver's gesture was...the banner itself was first rate...Old Firm well represented thanks to C_B with honorary mention to BN_13.

Thanks guys!

Roogsy
05-19-2008, 10:15 PM
Does anyone have a picture of the Burns homage? I haven't really seen it...

bhoybobby
05-19-2008, 10:30 PM
Just got back from the cottage now. I still can't believe what Carver did on Sat, I'm still gobsmacked about the whole thing. It was a surreal moment. I thought he was just coming over to give us a clap but as he got closer and closer, I knew why he was coming over and that's when emotions got the best of me.

Burns was an assistant in 97 following his Celtic manager role, so I am assuming that they would have known each other.
Sorry, but Carver can do no wrong now in my eyes, instant legend.

This just goes to show the type of impact that Burns had on people and the type of person he was...respected by both sides of the OF and quite rightly.

I want the thank Bluenose for his gesture of bringing a Rangers top to place on the side of the banner (with the celtic one on the other side). It was a great sentiment from you and was much appreciated.

Normally I do my best to keep anything not related to TFC out of BMO, but sorry, I just had to to something small for TB on the weekend.

Can't believe Carver though........Legendary, Class act. And calling Sh!tletto a diver as well....good on ya Carver!

Tip of the hat to Bluenose, classy all round. As for JC, he'll never walk alone

Rawkus_420
05-20-2008, 10:29 AM
I hope he doesnt get on plane and fly home again!

S_D
05-20-2008, 11:17 AM
i agree, but "diving" in MLS is nothing compared to how much it happens in south america and in europe. it's the part of the game that makes me embarrassed to be such a big fan.

i remember talking to a co-worker prior to the 2007 season and i mentioned i had toronto fc season tickets.
"ah, soccer, nothing but a bunch of diving."
to which i said, "well, north americans don't really dive like the south americans and europeans do."
to which he said, "it's cuz they're not good enough yet."

And that is why I don't watch South American games. I hate diving and dislike embellishment almost as much.

Towards the end of last season Samuel was starting to piss me off with his embellishing and am glad he is gone for that reason alone. He would hold his hands up and do a perfect forward breakfall from a little bump from behind. If I see any TFC players start doing this I hope Carver kicks their ass.

According to some posters in B.S. the USSF has told the MLS to cut down on the foul calls to bring about more flow to the game. I am praying that this does not bring more flopping to the league for those who want minor fouls to look a lot more serious. If I can find a link to this I will add it later.

jloome
05-20-2008, 01:18 PM
Carver's a pro; he knows exactly what he's doing, and this wasn't just an off the cuff rant. He knows we've got DC coming in and they're going to be playing with desperation; he wants the Refs to be aware that Gallardo, Moreno and Emilio may be flopping around like mackerel on a dock, and like any long time pro he knows refs are super concious of trying to be fair and balanced -- it's their main stressor.

So he's planting the seed that teams are going to flop against our dominant play at home -- and based on RSL, NY and Columbus, it ain't exactly inaccurate.

scots17
05-20-2008, 01:20 PM
carver stays...we will continue to get better, front office has been making some great decisions and the boys on the pitch are responding...we keep doing our job and they'll take care of the field work!! unbeaten in 5!!!!!

jloome
05-20-2008, 01:21 PM

Class move in memory of a fine man.

Rawkus_420
05-20-2008, 01:25 PM
Yep of Carver gets forced out of this league, because some dumb yanks think they know something about football, when they really know fuck all. I personally think they are just scared to see the Canadian team doing well. If Carver leaves any other way than on his own accord, then I will also probably stop caring and pay much less attention to the MLS as they will have proven to me that they know fuck all and dont deserve to have a respected league based on the way theyre running it. If Carver goes, and no suitable replacement is found. we will get worse, and TFC's support will sadly dwindle. It seems thats what the MLS is going for.

Broadview
05-20-2008, 01:50 PM
Yep of Carver gets forced out of this league, because some dumb yanks think they know something about football, when they really know fuck all.

The official in question who was badgering JC was likely "getting even" over Carver previously yelling at his colleague against New York.

It's pretty dumb, yeah, but I don't think it's an anti-Canadian conspiracy or anything like that. I read in the news section today that this official is from Vancouver.

Personally, I blame the CSA. It's just too easy....

LUFC
05-20-2008, 02:58 PM
Lets hope he doesnt f-off tho, hes the best thing to happen to this club.

TFCREDNWHITE
05-20-2008, 03:06 PM
Carver is god!! and we need a chant for him!!!

Rawkus_420
05-20-2008, 03:12 PM
The official in question who was badgering JC was likely "getting even" over Carver previously yelling at his colleague against New York.

It's pretty dumb, yeah, but I don't think it's an anti-Canadian conspiracy or anything like that. I read in the news section today that this official is from Vancouver.

Personally, I blame the CSA. It's just too easy....

I dont really think its an anti-canadian thign either, i just like throwing that one out there. I think it s good that carver says he will be going to the league to complain, rather than waiting for them to come to him.

I think Carver will stay, and we will do fine, the refs need to step it up though, and start carding those dives every chance they get. Which means marshall can start getting away with some leg breaking tackles:D

Oldtimer
05-20-2008, 03:35 PM
Carver is one class act.

CretanBull
05-20-2008, 03:50 PM
Carver has been lucky enough to coach Leeds and TFC - the two best clubs in the world :D

koryo
05-20-2008, 07:52 PM
^^ In that order