PDA

View Full Version : Edu traded for grass?!?!?!??!

squarehead
08-19-2008, 10:02 PM
oh man... this could be good

EDU TRANSFER FEE COULD MEAN NEW FIELD; TFC RELEASE ROBERT

TORONTO - Maurice Edu is headed for greener pastures with Glasgow Rangers. But the U.S. international midfielder could leave a green legacy of his own in Toronto.
Mo Johnston, director of football for Toronto FC, said Tuesday he may try to use his club's share of Edu's US$5-million transfer fee to replace the FieldTurf at BMO Field with natural grass.
The sale, widely reported on both sides of the Atlantic, was finally confirmed by Toronto FC on Tuesday, pending the 22-year-old California native securing a work permit to play in Scotland. The delay in confirming the deal was due to MLS red tape.
One-third of the transfer fee goes to the league, which as a single entity owns the rights to all its players, and two-thirds to Toronto's coffers. Of that, $500,000 will go towards player allocation money - which can be spent over 18 months starting next year, used on salary or to buy a player - with the rest earmarked towards the club's soccer operations such as facilities and youth programs.
"We'll make a proposal to the (MLS) board in terms of can we put it towards a practice facility. Maybe a grass field, which I think is vital and important in moving forward. Then obviously the academy," Johnston told reporters.

Read more (http://www.tsn.ca/soccer/story/?id=246908)

TicTacTabarnack
08-19-2008, 10:22 PM
This thread should be called: TSN reports on Footy!??!?!?! LOL

Looking forward to the grass, training facility for the lads and boosting the Academy!

denime
08-19-2008, 10:22 PM
I just saw on CP24 news about this issue.They said money mad eon Edu transfer will be used to install grass at BMO Field.:noidea:

MisterMacphisto
08-19-2008, 10:25 PM
Regretfully, I read this as grass at the practice facility. Hopefully I am wrong.

denime
08-19-2008, 10:26 PM
Regretfully, I read this as grass at the practice facility. Hopefully I am wrong.

Read again:
If the club was to replace the stadium turf, it would need to build a nearby practice facility with turf to meet commitments to the city of Toronto, which provided the stadium land in exchange in part for a year-round facility that could be used by local residents. In winter, a bubble is put over the field to allow that.

Rocco
08-19-2008, 10:31 PM
Read again:

with that much money, they can afford to make a turf stadium that seats min capacity AND replace the turf with grass.

denime
08-19-2008, 10:39 PM
For that money they can buy Lamport stadium and put grass at BMO.

Kooper
08-19-2008, 10:46 PM
How is the headline not "Robert placed on Waivers"!!!??!!

MisterMacphisto
08-19-2008, 11:05 PM
Read again:

They said *IF* the *Stadium* had its turf replaced, they'd need a secondary field with field turf. However, I read this as keeping BMO field turf and getting a practice facility with grass.

Again, if I'm wrong, I'm the fucking happiest man in the world, but I'm not getting my hopes up from that quote just yet.

I_AM_CANADIAN
08-19-2008, 11:14 PM
Edu for grass is a pretty fair deal. But if, and only if, there is at least a grass practice pitch installed.

CoachGT
08-20-2008, 07:44 AM
If you read through the notes on documents coming from City Hall, there is a budget brief that suggests that MLSE (read TFC) will be helping to finance a soccer facility in Rexdale somewhere in 2009-2010. That was my fist thought about the grass comments coming from this........

olegunnar
08-20-2008, 07:54 AM
They said *IF* the *Stadium* had its turf replaced, they'd need a secondary field with field turf. However, I read this as keeping BMO field turf and getting a practice facility with grass.

Again, if I'm wrong, I'm the fucking happiest man in the world, but I'm not getting my hopes up from that quote just yet.

Maybe they'll clarify after the renewal process :noidea:
I mean after the MLSE board meeting in late November ;)

rocker
08-20-2008, 08:08 AM
If you read through the notes on documents coming from City Hall, there is a budget brief that suggests that MLSE (read TFC) will be helping to finance a soccer facility in Rexdale somewhere in 2009-2010. That was my fist thought about the grass comments coming from this........

are those notes accessible online?

boban
08-20-2008, 08:50 AM
No offense but you are :p
This report does not do justice to what was actually said. Its Coles notes leaving room for interpretation. At a press conference Mo said they are looking to get grass in the stadium, and on the Fan590 yesterday evening, he said in no uncertain terms that grass for the stadium is needed for soccer to move forward for this team and the mens national program.

invictusTFC
08-20-2008, 09:54 AM

With the money they received from this transfer they can afford to get grass, and maybe build an indoor facility for the city to use during the winter. For example they can revamp lamport stadium. They already have the dome that they used for BMO this past winter. They can use the existing BMO field turf at Lamport thereby upgrading the oversized area rug they have there now. There is a compromise here that involves relatively little cost.

denime
08-20-2008, 09:56 AM
With the money they received from this transfer they can afford to get grass, and maybe build an indoor facility for the city to use during the winter. For example they can revamp lamport stadium. They already have the dome that they used for BMO this past winter. They can use the existing BMO field turf at Lamport thereby upgrading the oversized area rug they have there now. There is a compromise here that involves relatively little cost.

Lamport stadium already has brand new turf (NO gridiron lines)installed last spring,all they have to do is fix those ugly change rooms and put the bubble there.

T0R0NT0 FC
08-20-2008, 10:00 AM
I will take that trade

invictusTFC
08-20-2008, 10:48 AM
Lamport stadium already has brand new turf (NO gridiron lines)installed last spring,all they have to do is fix those ugly change rooms and put the bubble there.

Didn't know that... Thanks...

Well, Im sure they can recycle the BMO field turf and install it somewhere else in the city. I think its feasible for sure, and the expense will be minimal for the City. If they do install grass at BMO, they need to do it right. A heating system will go a long ways to prolonging the season.

flatpicker
08-20-2008, 11:01 AM
I'm confused... why are there two threads with the same title in two different forums?

boban
08-20-2008, 11:45 AM

It doesn't address the problem of a lack of fields in the city.
Grass being installed in the NSS means its use is removed from the community.
Lamport already is a community used field. A new field has to be be made by MLSE, maybe even 2.

king10
08-20-2008, 11:48 AM
Lamport already is a community used field. A new field has to be be made by MLSE, maybe even 2.

lampport can have a bubble put over it.. and they can transport the current field turf at bmo to the south parking lot and have a bubble put over that.. even more fields for the city

CoachGT
08-21-2008, 10:26 AM
are those notes accessible online?

Budget Briefing Note 2008-2010 – note the Rexdale item on Page 4

http://www.toronto.ca/budget2008/pdf/bn_cap_commitment_to_priority_neighbourhoods.pdf (http://www.toronto.ca/budget2008/pdf/bn_cap_commitment_to_priority_neighbourhoods.pdf)

I_AM_CANADIAN
08-21-2008, 10:29 AM
So they build a new field, it can't be that expensive. I'd assume those 20,500 seats don't get filled for these community events, so they can make it something smaller.