PDA

View Full Version : Positive Chi: Best move Trader Mo has made?

Shakes McQueen
08-19-2008, 08:26 PM
So I thought to myself, "hey, how about a positive thread for once?"

So, to contribute, I thought I'd ask what you think is the best move has made this season, in his first year as GM?

If you think he is doing a crummy job, then please don't bother responding. There are 4,576 other threads to satisfy your catharsis.

I'll get things started with an unexpected choice:

I think bringing in Paul Winsper was the best move the club made this season. He has, and will continue to pay dividends in getting new transfers and draft picks into absolute peak physical form.

My second choice would be signing Rohan Ricketts, who has become a fan favourite quickly.

- Scott

FluSH
08-19-2008, 08:28 PM
I don't even recognize this place anymore... this ain't like it used to be last year... It feels like I'm reading a bitch fest about some other team...

LucaGol
08-19-2008, 08:30 PM
I don't even recognize this place anymore... this ain't like it used to be last year... It feels like I'm reading a bitch fest about some other team...

Welcome to year 2.

JDG
08-19-2008, 08:32 PM
The Toronto FC Forum needs a disclaimer that indicates it is an open forum hosted by the Red Patch Boys that generally does not reflect the views of the Members.

Reading the open forums, and reading the Members forums is like night and day.

The knee-jerk complaining has become farcical.

TFC_Chris
08-19-2008, 08:33 PM
Great thread Shakes...

Gold: Hiring Paul Winsper
Silver: Signing Rohan Ricketts (I can't disagree with your first two choices)
Bronze: Trading away Cunningham

Too Early To Tell: Signing Johann Smith...It's amazing to see what a striker who can run like the wind can to, even in just 40 minutes of a game...

Nuvinho
08-19-2008, 08:34 PM
I tried posting a positive thread about Ruiz, but it got merged into the big "I hate Ruiz thread"

Shakes McQueen
08-19-2008, 08:34 PM
The Toronto FC Forum needs a disclaimer that indicates it is an open forum hosted by the Red Patch Boys that generally does not reflect the views of the Members.

I generally thought I wouldn't bother formally becoming a RPB until I had season tickets and could actually go to all of the home games, but I may pay the $25 just to participate in some of these mythical "positive threads" you speak of. :D

- Scott

Shakes McQueen
08-19-2008, 08:35 PM
Great thread Shakes...

Too Early To Tell: Signing Johann Smith...It's amazing to see what a striker who can run like the wind can to, even in just 40 minutes of a game...

I considered adding Johann Smith in there too, but he hasn't really been around long enough for me to pass judgment.

Though I have to say, the flashes of speed he showed in the RBNY game give me immense hope for his future here.

- Scott

LucaGol
08-19-2008, 08:37 PM

A message brought to you by the Red Patch Boys.

Ossington Mental Youth
08-19-2008, 08:39 PM
Tough call theres quite a few, i really do like winsper and carver alot, feel like those are a step towards becoming a professional club

Roogsy
08-19-2008, 08:40 PM
LOL! Yeah it does sound sort of like an advert...but at the end of the day it's true!

It's one of the reasons we wanted the members only forum.

dantdot
08-19-2008, 08:41 PM
Positive Chi? The fuck?

Shakes McQueen
08-19-2008, 08:42 PM
Tough call theres quite a few, i really do like winsper and carver alot, feel like those are a step towards becoming a professional club

Was Carver brought in by Mo's hand? I guess I never even thought to include Carver.

- Scott

FluSH
08-19-2008, 08:43 PM
LOL! Yeah it does sound sort of like an advert...but at the end of the day it's true!

It's one of the reasons we wanted the members only forum.

Tell me about it... I know someone laugh at me early in the season because I was pushing for members only...

I'm pushing it harder this time... I feel like deleting this section of the forums at times.

Ossington Mental Youth
08-19-2008, 08:44 PM
Was Carver brought in by Mo's hand? I guess I never even thought to include Carver.

- Scott

Pretty sure he was if im not mistaken

sully
Bringing in our best player: Guevara

Ageroo
I generally thought I wouldn't bother formally becoming a RPB until I had season tickets and could actually go to all of the home games, but I may pay the $25 just to participate in some of these mythical "positive threads" you speak of. :D

- Scott

This just made my day and I am still laughing.......and this thread is refreshing......

LucaGol
08-19-2008, 08:46 PM
Tell me about it... I know someone laugh at me early in the season because I was pushing for members only...

I'm pushing it harder this time... I feel like deleting this section of the forums at times.

Just rename it the "rapid-fire super-crazy fantastic TFC thread making zone of death for people who have A.D.D. and other related nervous system disorders"

No need to delete it.

Captain Croatia
08-19-2008, 08:48 PM
Signing Ricketts and Guevara.

Raging Reggie
08-19-2008, 08:50 PM
I agree bigtime with winsper and ricketts as the top 2 signings. Remember when everyone was bitching about RR at the beginning of the season, after a couple of games what a hugh mistake? Remember how when we signed velez and everyone bitched and then he went from zero to hero and nows hes back to zero again?

From reading lots of forums from well established teams in the EPL we sound just like one of them now...bitch moan complain, one minute praise, one minute off with his head...we are a real team now with real fans, just like everyone else..thats a positive :) 2nd year and we bitch about our team and the desicions like we have been around for 100 years :)

v00d00daddy
08-19-2008, 08:51 PM

Are you saying that there is no complaining in the members forum? or is it that there IS complaining but it's not knee jerk?

LucaGol
08-19-2008, 08:53 PM
Are you saying that there is no complaining in the members forum? or is it that there IS complaining but it's not knee jerk?

It's more sophisticated....;)

It's just the riff-raff out here talkin bout nonsense.

...cause paying for nothing is cool.

Shakes McQueen
08-19-2008, 08:56 PM

Not currently being a RPB myself, I can certainly say that the RPB Members that post in the open forums, tend to be a little more calm, and provide a more elaborate analysis for what they think of players, and the club.

That is, of course, just generally speaking, since guys like Ossington, jloome and others are good posters too.

I just get tired of the 47 threads after a loss, calling for everyone and their extended family to be fired, and shipped back on a boat to wherever they came from. This is then followed by more threads demanding Mo's head on a plate, because he hasn't brought Fernando Torres to Toronto yet on a 300 year contract worth $5.76 and a Big Mac.

WITH EXTRA PICKLES. Which of course would result in accusations of Mo wasting cap space on the pickles, leading to more threads calling for him to be fired.

- Scott

v00d00daddy
08-19-2008, 09:07 PM
If you get tired of the threads don't read them. It's not a difficult concept. I avoid all the, "I met this player" "Meet and greet" bullshit threads becasue....well...i think they're bullshit. If you don't want to hear people complaining you're following the wrong team.

I can't imagine that the mood is totally positive over in the members forum during the last two months. They just won't come on the boards and say "player X is shit" and "Carver is an idiot" because half of them see the players and coach, and manager, and front office staff, and ticket reps, and concession guys etc. etc. on a somewhat regular basis. I think the group is getting a little to close to the club in certain ways.

How can you be objective or critical of a person when you've taken a dozen pictures with them and they've signed every piece of red clothing you own. I'm obviously exagertaing but you get my point. I don't mean to say that I think it's wrong to be that involved with the club. To each his own. I just think it makes it difficult to unbiased...and that's probably why the members forum is more calm. How can you get angry at your buddy? Or in this case...how can you get angry at your buddies who play for TFC?

Shakes McQueen
08-19-2008, 09:11 PM
If I didn't read the negative threads, there would be almost nothing to read here, and unfortunately I like talking about my club. So instead, I try to steer things in a more positive, or at least less foaming-at-the-mouth negative, direction.

Anyway, back to the actual thread topic: What do you think is the single best move Mo has made in his inaugural year as general manager?

- Scott

LucaGol
08-19-2008, 09:16 PM
Why is there so much discourse on the quality or quantity or anything relating to thread creation?

It's the internet ffs...

Shakes McQueen
08-19-2008, 09:19 PM
Why is there so much discourse on the quality or quantity or anything relating to thread creation?

It's the internet ffs...

Folks generally don't like having conversations with people who are only negative about everything, and the internet is no different, though online anonymity makes it a little harder to bring out the optimist in people.

BACK TO TOPIC!

- Scott

Kickit09
08-19-2008, 09:35 PM
well if its true that the money from edu's transfer fee is going to bring grass to BMO field than i would have to say that is the best move this year. im surprised no one has mentioned it yet.

Don Julio
08-19-2008, 11:37 PM
The best move Mo has made - hands down - is going on record today saying that Edu's transfer fee could be used to get real grass. He certainly pissed off a few pwople by doing it but he's accomplished an awful lot:

- Put pressure on MLSE to spend the money wisely on something that it's hard to make an actual business case for
- Raised public awareness about the need for grass, and in a general sense told the public at large that BMO would be getting grass (by the time the statement filters through the media)
- Put pressure on governments to accept a compromise solution with a separate practice facility
- Initiated a plan that all but eliminates a possible Argo invasion

Davenport
08-20-2008, 08:26 AM
I considered adding Johann Smith in there too, but he hasn't really been around long enough for me to pass judgment.

Though I have to say, the flashes of speed he showed in the RBNY game give me immense hope for his future here.

- Scott
Don't hold your breath...he's simply not good enough, fast but that's it..no footballing ability.
Got laughed out of town at a League 2 club last year..the pitch wasn't long enough....

brad
08-20-2008, 08:35 AM
- Initiated a plan that all but eliminates a possible Argo invasion

That wouldn't eliminate the Argos. Edmonton Eskimos play on real grass, the Argos would have could as well. It would mean that we would play on beat up grass that would be much worse than the turf, and everyone would be complaining about that.

Don Julio
08-20-2008, 09:08 AM
That wouldn't eliminate the Argos. Edmonton Eskimos play on real grass, the Argos would have could as well. It would mean that we would play on beat up grass that would be much worse than the turf, and everyone would be complaining about that.

Ok, it doesn't eliminate the ARgos, but it is another STRONG strike against them.

Bobo
08-20-2008, 09:15 AM
After that fitness disaster last season I say Winsper too. Guevara has played well on the whole. Ricketts imo has been more positive off the field. I don't see Carver as important as I once did.

jabbronies
08-20-2008, 09:24 AM
Gold - would be Mo's stock pilling of draft picks and young talent.
Our future is looking amazing!!!

Jay1974
08-20-2008, 09:58 AM
I agree with the draft picks. We got SJ's first rounder which will be high for O'Brien. He's good but didn't want to play here. We got another 1st round off of Chicago for McBride that didn't want to play here, plus we got Barrett too. Our bargaining position was low in both cases and Mo got good deals in both cases. As a 2nd year team we have to look for the future and it's bright.

poppamidnight
08-20-2008, 10:37 AM
Great thread Shakes...

I agree with gold, but im gunna change up the bottom two:

Silver: Targeting youth over age (Avoiding Dickov, Milosovic...etc getting Ibbe, Johan, barrett)
Bronze: Signing Rohan Ricketts (face the city can attach to team)

Sullivan
08-20-2008, 10:56 AM
Relinquishing coaching duties, focusing on player procurement.

TFC-Tyler
08-20-2008, 11:18 AM
Rohan

arbogast
08-20-2008, 11:25 AM

ditto.

Shakes McQueen
08-21-2008, 05:03 AM

No way MLSE would allow the Argos to play on the BMO pitch. They would either force them to pay for a solution to temporarily install FieldTurf, or tell them to find somewhere else to play.

A football pitch isn't a cheap thing to maintain, and there is no way MLSE would pay to install one, just so the Argos can tear it up once a week.

- Scott

trane
08-21-2008, 05:06 AM
Rohan Ricketts

Cashcleaner
08-21-2008, 05:35 AM
Carver and Ricketts.

trane
08-21-2008, 06:31 AM
^yes Carver as well.

felipe
08-21-2008, 10:16 AM
I agree with the relinquishing of coaching duties, I think Mo is on par with Dale Mitchell in that department.

But I think mo has done a great job with trades and bringing players in; he is doing a great job despite the MLS handcuffs and turf issues.

Carver and Winsper are key too; this offseason should be monumental in our progression as a franchise.

People now know of TFC in europe, and we have some credible management, coaching, and playing names associated with the franchise, instead of some 'obscure' north americans no one across the pond has ever heard of. (can you imagine approaching a player in europe or south america, "Why don't you jumpstart your career for us in the usa! you can play for the renowned Sigi Schmid!")

Our attraction level for some real quality players is going to continue to rise.

I think mo has positioned us fantastically for the future.