PDA

View Full Version : Paul McVeigh = Kevin Gall = Andy Welsh

jloome
08-19-2008, 05:37 PM
Really, is it any wonder you've never seen them on the same team?

If The Score is right and this is who we're bringing in, we're in deep shit boys, because Mo has lost his mind.

Andy Todd I can see; good signing, solid defender with solid prem record. But Paul McVeigh is like Dickov-lite, a pest without the skills to occasionally finish.

We give up Robert, who is five times better even at 60%, for that? I've gotta think Robert asked for his release if the 'answer' is Paul McVeigh.

Flipityflu
08-19-2008, 05:42 PM
because robert maybe 5 times better, but he didn't show it here. thats why he's gone.

as for why McVeigh...probably because we are running out of available players who accept playing on artificial surfaces.

Nuvinho
08-19-2008, 05:42 PM
I don't think McVeigh is the guy they are bringing in.

I think it will be a combination of Tello, Ruiz, and Todd.

OneLoveOneEric
08-19-2008, 05:43 PM
Holy shit. 36 goals in over 200 appearances. Woo.

DigzTFC!
08-19-2008, 05:43 PM
Whatever, the reason, McVeigh seems like a really stupid idea. Recent moves showed me TFC had a plan for changing the culture of the club. But why bring in McVeigh. why

justin
08-19-2008, 05:50 PM
i'm definitely not sold on a 5'6 striker with an abysmal strike rate. hope its not him coming in.

TFCREDNWHITE
08-19-2008, 05:55 PM
Really, is it any wonder you've never seen them on the same team?

If The Score is right and this is who we're bringing in, we're in deep shit boys, because Mo has lost his mind.

Andy Todd I can see; good signing, solid defender with solid prem record. But Paul McVeigh is like Dickov-lite, a pest without the skills to occasionally finish.

We give up Robert, who is five times better even at 60%, for that? I've gotta think Robert asked for his release if the 'answer' is Paul McVeigh.

I'm with you buddy. If it is Paul McVeigh we're in deep deep shit! How this guy managed to "carve" out even somewhat of a professional career is beyond me!!! We're fucked if this becomes our "go-to" guy!!!!

Lord help us, please bring magical powers to McVeigh, powers that he has never seen or used before in his life, because you know as well as I, that he needs them really really bad!!!!!!!

ag futbol
08-19-2008, 05:55 PM
I like it already:
interesting (http://www.japan-mma.com/2008/01/paul-mcveigh-interview.html)
"An aggressive Irish midget with interesting hair attacking anyone he is locked in a cage with."

In all seriousness I'd be concerned if we signed him, but i'll reserve judgement until he steps on the field. (yes i know that's not him).

DigzTFC!
08-19-2008, 05:57 PM
You know what...I don`t think McVeigh will be the signing that Mo was talking about. Tello has been here on trial for a week and Mo wouldnt comment about signing a guy who is here on the first day of a trial. If he says he going to sign someone, its someone who has either trialed already or is someone who doesnt need a trial....neither of which is McVeigh

TFCREDNWHITE
08-19-2008, 05:59 PM
You know what...I don`t think McVeigh will be the signing that Mo was talking about. Tello has been here on trial for a week and Mo wouldnt comment about signing a guy who is here on the first day of a trial. If he says he going to sign someone, its someone who has either trialed already or is someone who doesnt need a trial....neither of which is McVeigh

I hope your right!! but the thing that gives me a sharp pain in my balls is the Carver Connection to Paul McVeigh, thats the part thats scary!!

Ossington Mental Youth
08-19-2008, 06:02 PM
I don't think McVeigh is the guy they are bringing in.

I think it will be a combination of Tello, Ruiz, and Todd.

With Mc Veigh on trial but not absolute

DigzTFC!
08-19-2008, 06:09 PM
Yeah, there's always a Carver connection...remember that young guy from Newcastle on trial. I'm not convinced he's going to signed. Both Mo and Carver have had so many people here on trial with contracts. Remember Olivier Bernard was here for conditioning. Don't get worked up about this fellas.

jloome
08-19-2008, 06:20 PM
Yeah, you're probably right. If he has any ball skills and worth ethic whatsoever, I'd take a midfielder with a Real Madrid youth team pedigree over Paul McVeigh. It's not personal, he's just not any good even by MLS standards.

DigzTFC!
08-19-2008, 06:24 PM
And you're having a shitty week hahaha. I haven't seen you go off this much since our bigsoccer days

jloome
08-19-2008, 06:45 PM
And you're having a shitty week hahaha. I haven't seen you go off this much since our bigsoccer days

I know, it's because my day job is basically doing what I do here all day, only on various social issues that, if I bring them up even in name here, will lead to long debates instantly.

It can be somewhat frustrating, even though it's a cool job.

By the by, that's why I stopped posting there. Too many idiots.

Lucky Strike
08-19-2008, 07:05 PM
Yeah, I'm not sold on McVeigh. In fact, I don't want him here. If he comes, I'll give him a chance, but I won't be excited. However, unlike someone else said, he is definitely not a journeyman.

TheresOnlyOneDeGuzman
08-19-2008, 10:26 PM
Has anyone actually seen him play?? because he has looked pretty good when ive seen him. and he is a winger not a forward!!!

jloome
08-19-2008, 10:57 PM
Has anyone actually seen him play?? because he has looked pretty good when ive seen him. and he is a winger not a forward!!!

No man, he isn't. He's a striker. He's never played anywhere other than strker. His wiki notes that he filled in for Huckerby once, but that's because Huckerby was playing striker at the time, as he did for several seasons. Find me a reference to Paul McVeigh as a winger and I'll be rather surprised.

He's a 5'6 inch goal poacher. If he did play as a winger (again, it makes no sense) he'd be the next Andy Welsh at the absolute best.

jloome
08-19-2008, 10:59 PM
Ok, my bad, I stand corrected. It appears he has played on the wing recently for Luton.

But if you go back over his career, you won't find any other references to it; and given that the only clips I can find with him starting on the wing are from 2007, I'd suggest it's not his natural role at all.

Oblio2
08-19-2008, 11:16 PM
Fuck me, you guys are complaining about a player before he signs...FFS, give the guy a fucking chance

Don Julio
08-19-2008, 11:23 PM
Wow, I'm never putting a name on the back of a TFC jersey. The only safe pick might be "Peddie"

jloome
08-20-2008, 01:25 PM
Fuck me, you guys are complaining about a player before he signs...FFS, give the guy a fucking chance

No, that's actually kind of dumb. It's better to call a guy out before he's signed that sign him and be stuck with him. Does it make a difference what we say? Not yet. But if you don't think fans have an impact at older European clubs over who's signed, you're not paying much attention. And that has to start somewhere, so bitching here -- which we know is read by certain TFC folk -- when we think the team is about to make a terrible mistake seems appropriate to me.

invictusTFC
08-20-2008, 01:38 PM
I can't see them signing another striker now that they traded for Ruiz. Carver may just be throwing McVeigh a bone because of their past at Luton. Andy Todd will most likely be the next player signed (if they agree to terms). It sounds like Tello may be a bit of a long shot although this team can always use more depth in the midfield.

Blizzard
08-20-2008, 01:52 PM

It's worse than that. We've hung Mo from a tree for signing the guy when he hasn't signed the guy!

There's nothing wrong with taking a look at a player.

Take a deep breath guys.

If Mo signs him, then go nuts. Right now, they're just window shopping.

UltraSuperMegaMo
08-20-2008, 04:19 PM
On the surface signing McVeigh seems a little uninspiring, but I think we all can remember another aging ex-Championship player no one was too excited about. McVeigh might the kind of player who can scrape us into the playoffs.

jloome
08-20-2008, 04:21 PM
USM - Actually, as someone who watches a LOT of English football, I was quite excited by both Dichio and Ricketts. But McVeigh isn't even CLOSE to that class. He'd have trouble these days getting a league two or conference job.

DigzTFC!
08-20-2008, 04:21 PM
Yeah, but Dichio scored a few before he made the move....

felipe
08-21-2008, 10:38 AM
McVeigh is a solid accomplished pro with a great work ethic.

you don't last that long at 5'6 if you are any less than that. Technically, he will be better than any of our other forwards, and he will actually make runs of the ball - incomprehensible! I know -

He won't be a game breaker for sure; but hes defiently not shit.

It costs next to nothing to take a look at him - with have a ridiculously small roster - there is nothing to lose - if he doesn't shake out, he'll go home - we've done it with far bigger names.