PDA

View Full Version : Toronto Fc Waives Laurent Robert

redrocket08
08-19-2008, 05:02 PM
TORONTO FC WAIVES LAURENT ROBERT

Toronto FC announced Tuesday that they have waived midfielder Laurent Robert.
The 33 year old midfielder joined the club April 2, 2008 signing as a free agent. He started in 16 of 17 games logging 1,364 minutes scoring one goal and adding three assists.

flatpicker
08-19-2008, 05:03 PM
link please

NF-FC
08-19-2008, 05:04 PM
he coulda been great if he gave a shit

LucaGol
08-19-2008, 05:04 PM
fonte?

Kickit09
08-19-2008, 05:05 PM
hmm, if this is true does this mean the new signing today is a midfielder?

kitchener-TFC
08-19-2008, 05:05 PM
This sucks IMO.

Section 117
08-19-2008, 05:07 PM
This sucks IMO.

The only thing that sucked about Robert is attitude

King Jeff
08-19-2008, 05:08 PM
Au Revoir Laurent Robert?

(http://www.thescore.ca/blogs/footy/index.asp?name=footy/2008/08/au_revoir_laure.html#more) Posted by Kristian Jack on August 19, 2008

Mo Johnston held a press conference at BMO Field today and commented on upcoming developments within the team. This is what he said:
"There's another player leaving the club and another player coming in. I think the player coming in will help us immensely. I've had to go into the market in MLS which enables us to get a quality player. I'm also still on the market for a guy who is out of contract and another player within MLS."
Mo has clearly left a lot of things wide open here so I'm going to try and fill in some gaps and always read between the lines.
Lets take the player leaving the club first: This is Laurent Robert.
Anyone who has bought a Laurent Robert TFC jersey might want to get out your sharpie right now. I suppose the player could be Jarrod Smith but there seems no need for that right now. Mo never talks about fringe players when it comes to leaving the club in a significant manner and Robert's performances over the last few weeks have showed to me that his head has been in France for sometime and I think he's on his way there right now. In fact he may have just caught a direct flight from New York to Paris.
Player coming in: This one is Paul McVeigh, a 30-year-old striker who has links to John Carver's former club Luton Town. He has played the bulk of his career at Norwich City. He trained with the team today and is on trial.
Quality player within the MLS: This is Carlos Ruiz - Mo has been a fan of this guy for a long time and I know he is on his radar. Time will tell if he can pull the trigger.
Kristian Jack

From the score...

LucaGol
08-19-2008, 05:09 PM
If this is false....I believe a banning is in order.

ag futbol
08-19-2008, 05:12 PM
Depending on who is coming in, good move by the management. Robert had a great free kick but he just wasn't involved enough in the run of play. Guevara's ability from set pieces is enough to work it out.

RealG-TFC
08-19-2008, 05:13 PM
This sucks IMO.

Indeed, why waive players when we are in such deep shit? I doubt we will get someone as good or better than him.

flatpicker
08-19-2008, 05:13 PM
that link from the score says nothing about him being waived...
give us some confirmation redrocket08!

Blizzard
08-19-2008, 05:14 PM
If this is false....I believe a banning is in order.

It's true!

August 19, 2008

The 33 year old midfielder joined the club April 2, 2008 signing as a free agent. He started in 16 of 17 games logging 1,364 minutes scoring one goal and adding three assists.

###

Media Contact:
Michelle Lissel, Media & PR (416) 815-5400 ext 5399

flatpicker
08-19-2008, 05:16 PM
a link is what we were looking for... here it is...

http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20080819&content_id=181507&vkey=pr_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280

TFCREDNWHITE
08-19-2008, 05:16 PM
WoW!!! WoW!!! RObert is gone eh!?!? Well i say good riddence! Fuck him, i was a fan of him initially but he hasn't produced shit really, so good bye and good luck!! Onwards and Upwards!!

Ben Knight
08-19-2008, 05:17 PM
Yep, the e-mail just came in from Michelle.

No word on new players, but Robert belongs to history now.

RealG-TFC
08-19-2008, 05:17 PM
:(:(:(

dantdot
08-19-2008, 05:18 PM
Well, there it is, we all knew it. Just doesn't have it anymore and is lazy as shit.

The Oz
08-19-2008, 05:19 PM
Wow, I knew it was coming but I didn't think they'd do it middle of the year.

Nuvinho
08-19-2008, 05:19 PM
So the new player takes Robert's spot

When Edu's transfer is complete, we can add another player

We can also replace Dunivant with a new player

Then Jarrod Smith can be moved to the developmental roster.

4 new players?? wishful thinking.

Whoop
08-19-2008, 05:20 PM
Regardless of people's opinions of him, I think this is a sign that TFC is going to go with a younger lineup and thus the possibility of making the playoffs is going to be sacrificed in order to get some young guys some experience.

king10
08-19-2008, 05:20 PM
why release him now.. we're still in the playoff hunt.. unless we needed to make room for a player that is substantially better than him.. he still could have been useful in our playoff push

ManUtd4ever
08-19-2008, 05:21 PM
I'm disappointed but not surprised given Robert's decline in recent weeks. All we can do is hope that his incoming replacement is a comparable talent with more heart...

Nuvinho
why release him now.. we're still in the playoff hunt.. unless we needed to make room for a player that is substantially better than him.. he still could have been useful in our playoff push

we are bringing in a player.

Lucky Strike
It's also up now on a Footy Blog update : http://www.thescore.ca/blogs/footy/index.asp?name=footy/2008/08/au_revoir_laure.html

Although really they only copied and pasted the press release.

egoodwin
I've got a feeling Stalteiri isn't going back to England

The Oz
08-19-2008, 05:22 PM
I'm pretty sure this player will be Tello yes?

RealG-TFC
08-19-2008, 05:22 PM

This player better be fantastic, although I have a feeling he won't be.

SilverSamurai
08-19-2008, 05:23 PM
Wow, so whose driving the midfield with Guevara gone? We all remember what happened when O'Brien was out last year...
Anyways good luck to ya Robert.

RealG-TFC
I'm pretty sure this player will be Tello yes?

who's this Tello guy?

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
His attitude was awful......he did have some seconds of brilliance....all in all....another...againg player gone....its all good!

Bobo
Man this guy could have torn up this league. So frustrating.

I've got a feeling Stalteiri isn't going back to England

To stay in Toronto? He dissed TFC when I was speaking with him.:mad:

Jeff s
I said before the season even started that he fucking sucks and I still believe that.

Good get out of our club, fucking lazy shit.

Nuvinho
08-19-2008, 05:24 PM
MoJo said player will help us immensely.......don't know if Tello fits the bill.

More like a Ruiz.

king10
08-19-2008, 05:25 PM

hopefully it happens now.. because mo said they can't use any of edu's allocation money untill at the earliest friday, thats when his work permit hearing is scheduled.. the new player better be someone who can come in and help out immediately

The Oz
Tello is this argentinian (i forget) midfielder that someone said had been trialing with the club in recent weeks.

OneLoveOneEric
I have a feeling the new player will not be a significant improvement. YHIHF.

ag futbol
08-19-2008, 05:26 PM
No Ruiz please. If he shows up it's just confirmation we are out of ideas.

We'd be trading for LA's version of Jeff Cunningham. Not what we want, at all.

Lucky Strike
Man this guy could have torn up this league. So frustrating.

I thought so too, he could have been great. Real shame because we know he's capable, just doesn't do it.

king10
MoJo said player will help us immensely.......don't know if Tello fits the bill.

More like a Ruiz.

please not ruiz

NF-FC

what did he say?

Jack
08-19-2008, 05:27 PM
Adieu Laurent...

I think this is a great move.

Basically, it says it doesn't matter if you're a big (relatively speaking) name from Europe, if you don't put in the effort, you're out of here.

A wakeup call for all the players...and it frees up cap room for someone who cares.

He's this argentinian (i forget) midfielder that someone said had been trialing with the club in recent weeks.

Spanish

jabbronies
this is very disappointing. Well, at least Mo doesn't hold on to players he's unsure of for too long.

OneLoveOneEric
Mo's cut and paste approach is getting a bit ridiculous for me. Sign a guy, cut him. Sign a guy, cut him.
It's as though he doesn't know what he's doing. Hmm.... Might be on to something there.

Nuvinho
08-19-2008, 05:28 PM
I am not saying it is Ruiz, but I think MoJo loves Ruiz.

TFC USA
Wow, so whose driving the midfield with Guevara gone? We all remember what happened when O'Brien was out last year...
Anyways good luck to ya Robert.

He's gone? His suspension was served already.

ManUtd4ever
Our midfield that boasted depth is suddenly looking pretty thin without Edu and Robert. I hope MoJo is bringing in players that can fill the void...

Smenge
08-19-2008, 05:29 PM
I should buy a lottery ticket. In the other thread I predicted Robert would be waived. And, I said the new player is Kiki Musampa.....Should I be buying two tickets???

Phil
That score update makes total sense with what the person who 'overheard' Carvers conversation on the train said the other day. Overall I am happy, too bad Robert didn't work out.

The message is clear - play footie or get out.

The Oz
Adieu Laurent...

I think this is a great move.

Basically, it says it doesn't matter if you're a big (relatively speaking) name from Europe, if you don't put in the effort, you're out of here.

A wakeup call for all the players...and it frees up cap room for someone who cares.

Spanish

Thanks, I couldn't remember. Has anyone else heard anything about Tello ?

MrHawk
The player is Eduardo :) Arsenal is going to loan him to TFC until he gets fit again to play in Dinamo Zagreb, help us capture the UEFA Cup title then he'll go back to Arsenal.

king10
He's gone? His suspension was served already.

int'l duty with honduras?... if he is gone our mid will be hurting

ag futbol
This would seem like confirmation that we're going to sign Tello ... if the math adds up. Otherwise we just gutted the best part of our team.

sully
08-19-2008, 05:30 PM
Wow, so whose driving the midfield with Guevara gone?

What?

TFC USA
Cunningham, Robert, Edu, they all made good impressions and then proceeded to suck and are now gone.

But come on Mo, this mechanical "sign, release" thing is getting old.

Lucky Strike
No Ruiz please. If he shows up it's just confirmation we are out of ideas.

We'd be trading for LA's version of Jeff Cunningham. Not what we want, at all.

I've said this elsewhere but I think it's worth repeating: We don't really know how well Ruiz can play because he hasn't had much playing time. Now, this looks bad but consider that coaches can be wrong and maybe Gullit was sitting one of the best players he had. A change of scenery can reinvigorate a player and we have little to lose. As of now, we're on course to miss the playoffs. After the season is over, Mo can revaluate Ruiz and decide what's best.

This move has great potential, will cost us little and has little risk.

RealG-TFC

Interesting, I always thought Stalts seemed kind of douchy..

Smenge
Mo does know what he is doing, it is the rest of us who have no fucking clue.

rocker
so Robert must have been the guy that Mojo said months ago didn't have a guaranteed contract until September. I remember when Robert was signed, Mo said the contract gave him "flexibility".. so it looks like both sides probably had this possibility in mind if things didn't work out either way.

sully

you mean hypotetically then?

Detroit_TFC
This is unfortunate but the parts weren't in place for him to shine and we all know that he would not do well sitting on the bench.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
08-19-2008, 05:31 PM

QFT!

RealG-TFC
08-19-2008, 05:31 PM
Does this Tello guy have a Wiki page at least?

Nuvinho
08-19-2008, 05:32 PM
I think Mo has 3 or 4 players he wants to bring in.

TFC USA

He'll be gone for something like 2 games, as Honduras is playing the same day as two TFC games.

The home game against Chivas he'll be out.

OneLoveOneEric
How do people not see our revolving door as a reflection of an issue with Mo's eye for talent?

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
08-19-2008, 05:33 PM

you dont know TELLO?:noidea:

oh by the way when you find info on him let me know!:D

Kickit09
robert is the 14th highest paid player in MLS.

but than again, carl robinson is the 15th highest paid player in MLS

Lucky Strike
so Robert must have been the guy that Mojo said months ago didn't have a guaranteed contract until September. I remember when Robert was signed, Mo said the contract gave him "flexibility".. so it looks like both sides probably had this possibility in mind if things didn't work out either way.

Actually, Mo had said outright that he came in on an unguaranteed contract.

jloome
If it's fucking Paul McVeigh we're not in much luck boys, as he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn and is tiny, to boot. Think Andy Welsh at forward.

Sab0tage
08-19-2008, 05:34 PM
Is it possible to remove lettering from a jersey? Because now my Robert jersey is useless.

RealG-TFC

:violin:

king10
i dont think tello can step in to replace robert... tello played for the levant B team last year and was not a stand out

TFC USA
08-19-2008, 05:35 PM

He knows what he is doing, and at the same time he's wrecking the team with stupid ass moves (this not one of them).

Nodoubtguy
08-19-2008, 05:35 PM
Ruiz?? I think its a decent move, but that won't be enough

The Oz
08-19-2008, 05:36 PM
Anyone notice that some of the players we've gotten have played well the first few games they get here and then slowly start to slide off of the radar? Robert, Cunny, Samuels, others?

ManUtd4ever
How do people not see our revolving door as a reflection of an issue with Mo's eye for talent?

Is it really his eye for talent given his draft history? I think it has become obvious that MoJo cannot recruit the veteran players he really wants if they refuse to play on fieldturf. What we have now is the best of the scrapheap that were willing to try playing at BMO...

rocker
Actually, Mo had said outright that he came in on an unguaranteed contract.

that's what i mean. he was the guy that didn't have it guaranteed til september. everyone is guaranteed past July 1 unless they are one of two special cases that MLS allows.
What it means is that Robert took this as a flier. maybe as a favour, maybe as a way to get playing time, he tried it out. Very few players are going to come overseas with no guarantees.
Seems to me like Mojo had in mind that this was a possibility, and that Robert was a stopgap measure.

MrHawk
08-19-2008, 05:37 PM
Robert hasn't done much since his one goal for TFC.

Yes our team is in shambles, but the only way to rebuild is to replace what is likely broken.

dantdot

There's a old thread somewhere in the news section on him, former Real Madrid youth and B team player.

TFC OZZ
I was always a Robert fan. The best ball distributer on the team, confident, and a good crosser. I think the guy got way too much flak on this board, and did the best he could with forwards who can't score. I'm not pleased to see him go, but I agree that there were times where it seemed like his effort was lacking, although I think the amount of times that happened has been completely blown out of proportion on the boards. Hopefully this is a sign of better things to come, and I wish Robert the best.

TFC USA
08-19-2008, 05:38 PM
I got a bad feeling it may be Ruiz.

ag futbol
I've said this elsewhere but I think it's worth repeating: We don't really know how well Ruiz can play because he hasn't had much playing time. Now, this looks bad but consider that coaches can be wrong and maybe Gullit was sitting one of the best players he had. A change of scenery can reinvigorate a player and we have little to lose. As of now, we're on course to miss the playoffs. After the season is over, Mo can revaluate Ruiz and decide what's best.

This move has great potential, will cost us little and has little risk.

Well that might be the case, but every time i've seen him play this year not only was he not scoreless, but he looks way overweight and lazy. I think there is probably a better solution.

OneLoveOneEric
Is it really his eye for talent given his draft history? I think it has become obvious that MoJo cannot recruit the veteran players he really wants if they refuse to play on fieldturf. What we have now is the best of the scrapheap that were willing to try playing at BMO...

So you credit him for the good moves, but say the bad moves are the fault of the turf. I wish you were my boss!!

TFC Cityboy
08-19-2008, 05:41 PM
Robert is a lazy moody fucker and wasted so much potentiala. Glad to see Carver won't put up with passengers, cos we sure as hell can't afford any!
Good move now let's see who comes in.

rocker
08-19-2008, 05:42 PM
Carver knew coming in that Robert doesn't play defense. He mentioned it in his first press discussions after the signing.

Robert's play would have led to more offence if he'd had better strikers. How many times did Cunningham make the wrong move on a run, with Robert looking on in disgust?
Robert and Jimmy had some good chemistry together.
Guevara had some sort of dislike for passing to Robert

Robert had his problems too (easily stripped of the ball one on one, easily frustrated by dumb players, not as strong a shot as he used to have) but i think with reasonable strikers on the end of things, he would have been more effective.

TFC USA
08-19-2008, 05:44 PM
What did it for me with Robert was the game against Montreal (The Cunny 6-inches from glory game), he to me, acted like it was a pre-season match.

Typical.....he is French after all. ;)

TFCREDNWHITE
08-19-2008, 05:45 PM
who's this Tello guy?

Are you being serious?? He came from Real Madrid's Youth Academy! I thought you already knew this guy!!

ManUtd4ever
08-19-2008, 05:45 PM
So you credit him for the good moves, but say the bad moves are the fault of the turf. I wish you were my boss!!

I'm stating that the majority of signings this season were "plan B" or "plan C" in some cases. I don't want to :deadhorse:but in fairness to MoJo, how different would TFC's roster look if turf wasn't such an issue for the several players that have turned him down this season?

TFC-Tyler
08-19-2008, 05:46 PM
Had a bad attitude, I'm not shedding any tears.

BC101
08-19-2008, 05:48 PM
Iam just disappointed I wont get to sing the allez allez allez robert song anymore LOL.

Terry
What to do with my Robert kit.

Bobo
what did he say?

Well it was actually pretty light-hearted. I asked him for a signature and told him I only had a TFC hat. He said he wouldn't hold it against me.:rolleyes:

Iam just disappointed I wont get to sing the allez allez allez robert song anymore LOL.

You got tomorrow still! Just a different rendition.

pepher
so much potential... such a shame. awe well... onwards and upwards... WHOOOOO NEXT!? STEP RIGHT UP! JOING OUR TEAM HERE!!!

BC101
08-19-2008, 05:49 PM
Well it was actually pretty light-hearted. I asked him for a signature and told him I only had a TFC hat. He said he wouldn't hold it against me.:rolleyes:

You got tomorrow still! Just a different rendition.

Oh yeah LOL can we adopt that for TFC as wellLOL

RPB_Brantford_08
08-19-2008, 05:50 PM
they gave up on Robert too quick he had just half a season, with new players coming in it might have helped him.

egoodwin
08-19-2008, 05:52 PM
that was one of my favourite songs...

what a sad week for TFC...

- lose to the Shite bulls
- lost the na na na, na na na na, na na na na, Edu song...
- lost the Robert allez song...

I guess he's not better than Beckham

brad
08-19-2008, 05:54 PM
i dont think tello can step in to replace robert... tello played for the levant B team last year and was not a stand out

I think Johan Smith was brought in to replace Robert. Tello is likely Edu's replacement.

BC101
08-19-2008, 05:54 PM
that was one of my favourite songs...

what a sad week for TFC...

- lose to the Shite bulls
- lost the na na na, na na na na, na na na na, Edu song...
- lost the Robert allez song...

I guess he's not better than Beckham
Aflac.

Ossington Mental Youth
08-19-2008, 06:00 PM
Carver knew coming in that Robert doesn't play defense. He mentioned it in his first press discussions after the signing.

Robert's play would have led to more offence if he'd had better strikers. How many times did Cunningham make the wrong move on a run, with Robert looking on in disgust?
Robert and Jimmy had some good chemistry together.
Guevara had some sort of dislike for passing to Robert

Robert had his problems too (easily stripped of the ball one on one, easily frustrated by dumb players, not as strong a shot as he used to have) but i think with reasonable strikers on the end of things, he would have been more effective.

Pretty much how i feel.
Its unfortunate but i have faith Mo has a plan

TFCREDNWHITE
08-19-2008, 06:05 PM
Pretty much how i feel.
Its unfortunate but i have faith Mo has a plan

I think he has a plan too....But with that being said, don't you think or sense the level of frustration MoJo is feeling by not being able to execute the Plan that he really wants to! I sensed it in his voice on AM590 today

1) He had players decline based on the Turf
2) MLS fucked him on who he initially wanted in the McBride deal and had to "settle" for Barrett
3) MLS has dragged their feet on the Edu Transfer, MoJo said he wanted it finalized way before the olympics and the MLS transfer window
4) Salary Cap is cramping his style
5) Robert not performing up to standard

I sense he has had to resort to Plan B's and C's which must be very frustrating ...NO???

nfitz
08-19-2008, 06:08 PM
He'll be gone for something like 2 games, as Honduras is playing the same day as two TFC games.

The home game against Chivas he'll be out.Yes, on September 6, also gone will be Sutton and Brennan as they are playing Honduras in Montreal. And presumably Marshall will be playing in the game against Mexico; and is Wynne called up for the game against Guatemala? I'd assume Robinson will be called up, as Wales is playing a WC qualifier as well. Hopefully Trinidad doesn't call up Julius James - though they've not before. And if we do get Ruiz, he'll be playing for Guatemala. In theory New Zealand could call up Smith for their match against New Caledonia as well ... have they called him up recently, that match looks critical for them?

And it all happens again for the October 11 away game against Dallas.

MLS has to get their act together.

gtaguy
08-19-2008, 06:09 PM
lets be serious about the numbers ..

when laurent came in to the reds team he showed some emotions and gave us alittle flash of what he was back in europe .. since then we have not had any signs of life from him and he's been at best just another player..
Where were his laser shots that i got to see on youtube about him.
where is that drive from a player that supposedly wanted to come here and shake this league up...

In my eyes he has not delivered to expectations and we are a club in search of an identity which he has not helped in delivering...

i rather take a chance at someone new and feel that euforia again that we felt when we first signed him on .....

don't kill me guys for voicing my opinion....

LucaGol
08-19-2008, 06:14 PM
How many players has Mo signed in just 18 short months, from Europe that have failed....its becoming a little ridiculous...

Collin Samuel
Laurent Robert
Andy Welsh
Olivier Tebily

Im sure there's more.....

rocker
08-19-2008, 06:19 PM
How many players has Mo signed in just 18 short months, from Europe that have failed....its becoming a little ridiculous...

Collin Samuel
Laurent Robert
Andy Welsh
Olivier Tebily

Im sure there's more.....

to be fair tho, I think you can do that for a lot of the incoming players to many of the teams in this league. Chicago fans are lamenting Frankowski, for example. LA fans probably say the same about Abel Xavier. DC fans were all over their ownership for that midget Niell, who has since left the team. NY gave a DP to a returning player from Europe -- Reyna -- and he was a huge waste of space. RSL signed Kenny Deucher to great fanfare as a massive striker in lower divisions in Scotland and he has 3 goals in 20 games.

I would say that Robinson and Dichio have done relatively well, and they were from Europe. I like Ricketts.

I think it just shows that international signings are never a guarantee. Some succeed, some don't. We are more likely to go after internationals, given the roster composition (even before mo got mo' int spots), so there's always gonna be more internationals who fail.

LucaGol
08-19-2008, 06:22 PM
to be fair tho, I think you can do that for a lot of the incoming players to many of the teams in this league. Chicago fans are lamenting Frankowski, for example. LA fans probably say the same about Abel Xavier. DC fans were all over their ownership for that midget Niell, who has since left the team. NY gave a DP to a returning player from Europe -- Reyna -- and he was a huge waste of space.

I would say that Robinson and Dichio have done relatively well, and they were from Europe. I like Ricketts.

I think it just shows that international signings are never a guarantee. Some succeed, some don't. We are more likely to go after internationals, given the roster composition (even before mo got mo' int spots), so there's always gonna be more internationals who fail.

I guess.

I think we should begin to MLS our roster a little bit if you know what I mean. I think they're a lot of quality soccer players on this side of the pond that need to be sought out.

Ossington Mental Youth
08-19-2008, 06:24 PM
Even by comparison to Niel, frankowski etc Robert wasnt that bad.
Regardless hes gone and we move on.
Lets see what you got Mo!

GhostPK
08-19-2008, 06:25 PM
The money raised from the transfer will be split between Major League Soccer and Toronto FC. "The MLS gets 33 percent of the five million and 66 per cent comes to our club which we can utilize in many ways for the development of the soccer club; 500 will go on allocation money. We will make a proposal to the board to see if we can put it towards a practice facility, maybe a grass field here which I think is vital for us moving forward and obviously the Academy."

Doesn't anyone read the full article? If MoJo is serious, (which he probably is getting anxious) then players will no longer decline baised on turf. As well, the Argos are shit outta luck. WIN WIN SITUATION!!!!

tfcleeds
08-19-2008, 06:39 PM
Robert's performances in recent weeks have left a lot to be desired. The guy is a lazy git, and I was saying that Carver should bench him.

Yet another club now that Robert hasn't performed at and has now been released. I figure he'll either pack it in, or maybe he'll get some huge contract to play in Qatar or somewhere like that.

TheRenter
08-19-2008, 06:44 PM
dead weight, good riddance

kdzb
08-19-2008, 07:34 PM
Wow, so whose driving the midfield with Guevara gone?

I believe Ricketts will step up and fill the void...RR is more creative when Robert is not in the field.

zeelaw
08-19-2008, 07:38 PM
The fucker never tried... Get him out.

GhostPK
08-19-2008, 07:41 PM
I believe Ricketts will step up and fill the void...RR is more creative when Robert is not in the field.

Whos that comming down the wing?
Ricketts, Ricketts
Who makes you want to stand and sing?
Ricketts, Ricketts
First he's here and then he's there
The fucking guy is everywhere
He's Rohan Ricketts Toronto's number 10!

Hustle
08-19-2008, 07:43 PM
I was a big supporter of Robert early on, and he put alot of quality balls in early in the season, and I reserved judgment lately due to talk of injury. but I am glad to see him go.

He could have gone out with respect, by putting in a solid effort against RBulls. He was fucking pathetic in that first half and I think it set the tone of the match for the other players. How can you play with someone like that and be in a winning frame of mind?

Was he playing injured? If so, suck it up and go out with style.

Chevy
08-19-2008, 07:56 PM
The fucker never tried... Get him out.

I think he had a nice summer vacation (paid) in Toronto and also got himself in shape for a return to England (Championship? League 1?)???

Benficachop20
08-19-2008, 08:03 PM
finally. wasn't a fan of his when he was in Benfica and not a fan of his with Toronto. I wasn not happy at all when we got him. I actually thought his first couple of games was pretty good, but then he just went on to show his true self, just a lazy player, who is finished

Stugatzo
08-19-2008, 08:12 PM
DeRo.

Smenge
08-19-2008, 08:17 PM
The constant in MO's international errors, is that they all played in the UK. If he opened his fucking eyes, he might discover that there is a world out there, filled with soccer players who have NEVER played in the UK......I have nothing against UK soccer leagues, but they are grossly overrated outside of the EPL. Particularly, the League Championship players are not the answer.....I simply disagree that these second and third tier English leagues are worthy of the awe-inspiring rhetoric we keep reading in these threads......

Shakes McQueen
08-19-2008, 08:20 PM
DeRo.

That would be akin to New England gettign rid of Shalrie Joseph. It just won't happen, until closer to the end of DeRo's contract with Houston.

I could see them unloading him maybe a year before the end of his current deal, so they get trade value for him, as opposed to a free transfer. But any time before that, it would be Houston essentially dealing the heart and soul of their club. And with Edu gone, we don't even have a worthy player (or an overhyped player) to offer them in return anymore.

We also have no confirmed interest from DeRosario that he even wants to come here, aside from an unsourced line in his Wikipedia entry, stating he wants to play for Toronto FC "at some point".

- Scott

Chevy
08-19-2008, 08:21 PM
DeRo.

DeRo........?

Lucky Strike
08-19-2008, 08:24 PM
DeRo.

Smoke. (Family Guy fans will get this).

P.S. In no way do I endorse smoking, for the record.

Shakes McQueen
08-19-2008, 08:30 PM
Smoke. (Family Guy fans will get this).

P.S. In no way do I endorse smoking, for the record.

Are you smoking yet?

- Scott

FCBarcelona
08-19-2008, 08:34 PM
I love this player but he seamed to never really to find his spot on the team. But our offence is so poor his free kicks where never a threat towards goals.

Watch Robert many times back home do like the way he plays, all best senior !:D

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
08-19-2008, 08:35 PM
hmmm did you have to make a another one....

Maple Leaf Red
08-19-2008, 08:36 PM
The constant in MO's international errors, is that they all played in the UK. If he opened his fucking eyes, he might discover that there is a world out there, filled with soccer players who have NEVER played in the UK......I have nothing against UK soccer leagues, but they are grossly overrated outside of the EPL. Particularly, the League Championship players are not the answer.....I simply disagree that these second and third tier English leagues are worthy of the awe-inspiring rhetoric we keep reading in these threads......

Do you guys that always bring up that same tired old argument just keep in on your clipboard so you can paste it into any thread?

There are a myriad of reasons for why Mo has had to sign players from the UK but you guys never want to bother listening to them.

Captain Croatia
08-19-2008, 08:46 PM
He helped out, but not enough i think. I'd rather have Guevara take the free kicks towards goal, although Robert did have a great sense of quick free kick plays.

All the best Robert

mclaren
08-19-2008, 09:00 PM
Does anyone really think Mo has a clue let alone a plan?

Marco2K
08-19-2008, 09:08 PM
You know after we lost to montreal i was thinking a house cleaning was in order.

Gone are EDU, Robert and cunningham.

Now we have to see who we add.

FluSH
08-19-2008, 09:09 PM
he coulda been great if he gave a shit

He could have been Tremendous...

Shakes McQueen
08-19-2008, 09:15 PM
He could have been Tremendous...

It will be an ongoing problem with MLS, that you will get the odd international transfer who treats the league like a retirement home mixed league.

Robert has the talent, but just didn't care. And that's fine. But I certainly don't want you collecting a paycheck from my club.

We may not have an instant solution for losing his talents, but getting rid of lazy players will have good effects on the locker room down the road.

- Scott

Oblio2
08-19-2008, 09:17 PM
He hasn't really done anything and coasts in games...a shame because he has so much potential to do well in this league. Still, it was well worth a gamble...

Marco2K
08-19-2008, 09:18 PM
Robert has done this his whole life.

benifca went out and picked him up, He scored vs porto and that was it.

He has shown zero passion this year.

His carear is over.

thats the end of that.

TFC&Gunners4Life
08-19-2008, 09:22 PM
This was no surprise. His work ethic was always in question where ever he played. Good riddence.

T_Mizz
08-19-2008, 09:24 PM
I was hopng for something better than Ruiz tho

Benficachop20
08-19-2008, 09:28 PM

lol and even that he was lucky that baia pulled off a frango, it should have been saved

T_Mizz
08-19-2008, 09:29 PM
This was no surprise. His work ethic was always in question where ever he played. Good riddence.
Replacing that with Ruiz is almost a step back in those departments, n'est pas?

Chevy
08-19-2008, 09:29 PM
In - Johan Smith, Ruiz, Barrett

Out - Cunny, Robert

I'm not counting McBride here as he would not have played for us. We lose a little cash and an allocation spot but overall I think we win here big time.

billyfly
08-19-2008, 09:30 PM
I can't pretend to know if Ruiz is any good. In the case of Robert I saw potential in those first few games and actually thought "Wow, he is good and if he can't make Derby, we (MLS and TFC) must be shite."

giambac
08-19-2008, 09:40 PM

He is done like French Toast.

It's about time.

players we brought in

Robert
Guevera
Ricketts
Teliby

2 of the 4 are gone. whose idea was to bring in these players? Mo? carver? It just has happened.

time to look elsewhere... Portugal, Italy, Germany, South America where they can play some footy.....

ag futbol
08-19-2008, 09:44 PM

He has shown zero passion this year.

His carear is over.

thats the end of that.
Well there you pretty much have it.

He goes to club A - underperforms
Goes to club B - underperforms again (even compared to his last club)
Goes to club C - well you get the idea.

Comes to play for TFC ... is anyone suprized by the results? Management should give their head a shake over that one.

TFC&Gunners4Life
08-19-2008, 09:45 PM
T Mizz, you may be right about his work ethic as I don't know too much about Ruiz. Judging by his previous stats in the MLS, hopefully he can find a goal scoring touch and not a repeat like Cunningham during his time in Toronto.

wzhxvy
08-19-2008, 10:08 PM
Guys, lets be real about the grass thing. Mo does not have the courage (because he likes being employed) to make a public statment about putting something infront of the board if he has not already done so and they agreed.

HOWEVER, in typical Mo fashion, its all fluff and no meat. Its not the board's decision, nor will Edu money make it happen. This is another shameless "we are trying tactic" and he thinks we are stupid. Talk to the city, get the deal done, and dont tell me about the board and waste our collective time Mo.

No matter what anyone says, (I do agree Robert has been useless lately), its never good to be making these type of majour changes mid season. This is a ship with no captain, and when one mouse gets sick, they throw it out and get another freaking mouse. I really do not see a long term strategy, just Mo talking about doing a 100 things, getting 10 of them done, and not achieving a result. So stop talking Mo and start doing. Watch next year, he will be looking for some "veteran" help for all our young players...cmonnnnn

Shakes McQueen
08-19-2008, 10:16 PM
Guys, lets be real about the grass thing. Mo does not have the courage (because he likes being employed) to make a public statment about putting something infront of the board if he has not already done so and they agreed.

HOWEVER, in typical Mo fashion, its all fluff and no meat. Its not the board's decision, nor will Edu money make it happen. This is another shameless "we are trying tactic" and he thinks we are stupid. Talk to the city, get the deal done, and dont tell me about the board and waste our collective time Mo.

No matter what anyone says, (I do agree Robert has been useless lately), its never good to be making these type of majour changes mid season. This is a ship with no captain, and when one mouse gets sick, they throw it out and get another freaking mouse. I really do not see a long term strategy, just Mo talking about doing a 100 things, getting 10 of them done, and not achieving a result. So stop talking Mo and start doing. Watch next year, he will be looking for some "veteran" help for all our young players...cmonnnnn

Mo went out today, and made a public statement on the radio, about his specific intention to put a plan before the board, to install a grass pitch at BMO Field. Unfortunately he mentioned that board won't meet until November. There was no vague statements about "trying" anything.

He also specifically called out the fact that the plastic pitch has cost the team big signings this season - such as Darren Huckerby, who is currently leading the big turnaround in San Jose.

- Scott

wzhxvy
08-19-2008, 10:27 PM
Oh I see...so Mo is the brave soul who is going to put the plan infront of the board...and the board might accept or reject ? You kidding me ???!!!! He is making that public statmement and taking a risk the board will reject his plan ?? lol I dont think so ! MLSE would not allow themselves to be the bad guys and "reject" such a plan...of course they will accept it in November because they already have...

As I said, regardless of the above, its not up to the board, so it is useless and patronizing comment by Mo...I want action not fluff.

Shakes McQueen
08-19-2008, 10:44 PM
Oh I see...so Mo is the brave soul who is going to put the plan infront of the board...and the board might accept or reject ? You kidding me ???!!!! He is making that public statmement and taking a risk the board will reject his plan ?? lol I dont think so ! MLSE would not allow themselves to be the bad guys and "reject" such a plan...of course they will accept it in November because they already have...

As I said, regardless of the above, its not up to the board, so it is useless and patronizing comment by Mo...I want action not fluff.

Well if this was all a ruse, and they will accept installing grass, then.... where is the issue? You wanted action on the issue, and apparently you got it!

- Scott

Brooker
08-19-2008, 11:05 PM
fuck. fuckfuckfuckfuckckfufufukckckck.

i'll miss robert. i really will.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_uL617dwqs

I_AM_CANADIAN
08-19-2008, 11:08 PM
Unless Mo has a HUGE signing on the way in the next couple weeks, I demand his resignation. First Edu, then no striker, now this. What the fuck is he smoking???!!!

druid
08-19-2008, 11:10 PM
Thank god.

If I had to watch Robert stroll around and pout after losing the ball one more time...

Dirk Diggler
08-19-2008, 11:24 PM
There better be a good reason behind this (i.e. Robert asked to be waived; he was a locker room cancer; we discovered a career threatening injury). Based on his performance alone, there is NO FUCKING WAY that he should be getting waived. So what if he is doesn't hustle? Kevin Harmse hustles a lot ... so maybe he is our most valuable player? If we are cleaning house, there are A LOT of other players that needed to go before Robert.

And honestly .... with this much ill-thought of roster turnover, where are you Mo apologists? Where is his supposed plan? Where is the supposed "team chemistry" that he is trying to build? What a load of bullocks. I know the team is absolute shit right now and losing a player, as valuable as I think he may be, doesn't exactly make as any shittier as that just isn't possible but Robert was actually one of the more talented guys on the team .

I_AM_CANADIAN
08-19-2008, 11:25 PM
If Mo had just bought our fucking striker, I honestly believe that none of this would be happening.

Shakes McQueen
08-19-2008, 11:31 PM
If Mo had just bought our fucking striker, I honestly believe that none of this would be happening.

Our strikers touched the ball for all of about 3 minutes on Sunday. Our depleted Midfield and Defender core is what cost us the New York match.

- Scott

I_AM_CANADIAN
08-19-2008, 11:37 PM
And Mo's not helping that now, is he? :D

Jarrod Smith and Harmse clearly can't cut it... And like you said, our defence can't put a proper breakout (to use the hockey term) together. But if we'd had a decent frontman a couple months ago when our buildup play was looking much better, we might be in a much better position right now.

Jack
08-20-2008, 12:41 AM
Carlos Ruiz is now a part of our team... let's see what he can do.

Robert was done. No interest, no passion.

The message had been sent...if you don't give your all, you won't be here.

I have no problem with that.

I_AM_CANADIAN
08-20-2008, 12:47 AM
I agree that Ruiz deserves a chance, you can't write someone off before they even step on the pitch. I'd be more optimistic though if it was someone, well, better. ;) I'll still cheer the guy on as long as he gives a decent effort, he's (probably) a TFC player now, he deserves our support until he gives us reason not to.

Brooker
08-20-2008, 12:50 AM
"I'm not mad at you.... im just disapointed." hah

good luck, Laurent! all the best! thanks for a few good memories.

RYANTFC
08-20-2008, 12:57 AM
i knew robert was gonna have attitude. He never really played that well and didn't work hard enough. He was terrible with derby and quite bad for us. Now he can piss of back to the french league

Cashcleaner
08-20-2008, 01:29 AM
Robert has a lot of technical skills and really showed some mad moves, but most of the time he was a bump on a log. We need players with skill and the initiative to use it.

So long Lauren Robert.

As for Ruiz, I'm pretty happy with Mo signing him. I think he could fit in nicely with Toronto. Still need more, though.

Whoop
08-20-2008, 01:42 AM
I know it doesn't mean anything but Rohan Ricketts is not on the TFC wikipedia page.

Nomad
08-20-2008, 02:02 AM
This is fucking bullshit.

I must say, i am really not happy with the team right now.

Pinkie
08-20-2008, 07:26 AM
This is fucking bullshit.

I must say, i am really not happy with the team right now.

QUOTED FOR FUCKING TRUTH.

MERDE

Tintin
08-20-2008, 07:32 AM
Robert was very over rated. In the last games, he was not even able to take good free kicks wich is the only strenght that he has. He walks all game long, uses one foot to cross and than complaints to his temaates and gets stupid cards for lazy fouls.

Good move but we need a mid or a D if Carver does the smart thing and puts Brenan in mid with Robo, Guevara and Rickets.

maninb
08-20-2008, 07:32 AM
Robert wore out his welcome with a brutal July & August..He can't even take a decent CORNER(75% which go out the other side for throw-ins), and he's missed at LEAST 3 wide open nets because he can't head the ball, and he was meant to have a BRILLIANT left foot, but that was all hype, as he could NEVER get it on target..I so much wanted him to work out but you can't argue with the FACTS. An attacking midfielder making $340K and only ONE GOAL in 20+ games is entirely expendable

invictusTFC
08-20-2008, 08:24 AM
I have absolutely no problems with this move. I can't believe there are people on this thread actually defending Robert. It was clear more often than not that Robert was washed up. Other than his ability to deliver a decent cross and set piece he brought little to this team. He was lazy and slow becoming a liability defensively. I believe this move sends a clear cut message to the rest of the team. Shape up or get shipped out". Too many players have been coasting for too long now. Unfortunately the players whose performances have been noticeably below par are players like Robert who were expected to be catalysts for this team and who are earning a significant wage (Note to Guevara).

Davenport
08-20-2008, 08:31 AM
This sucks IMO.
He did and does apparently.
Another in the multiple failures in Johnston's GM career.
I did warn you all about him........

Luanda
08-20-2008, 09:31 AM
It will be interesting to see where Robert lands: same with Tebily.
Could they have just used TFC to get in shape for Europe?

Rawkus_420
08-20-2008, 09:54 AM
Fuck this sucks, he was one of our best quality players...but the fact is he didnt give a shit, and probably didnt like playign int his shiite league, I mean its obviously a step down from what hes used to...I wonder if he'll play again??? I would have loved to see him lace a free kick from far out into the top corner...just like his you tube highlights....I'll miss the guy...but I like the Johann smith replacement, i think he will create more offense, and int he shitbulls game I noticed that he came back on D and stole the ball right off the guys foot using his pace...Im excietd about ruiz and smith as new additions!!!.....no DP this year...btu when we get one, we shuold use it on a central attacking midfielder bottom line No EXCEPTIONS.

Damien
08-20-2008, 09:55 AM
Robert's right foot might as well been a peg, he NEVER used it!

Shaughno
08-20-2008, 09:59 AM
Robert's right foot might as well been a peg, he NEVER used it!

One of the first lesson's my granddad used to tell me playing footy..

YOUR LEFT PEG IN'T FER FECKING STANDING ON, HIT THE BLODDY BALL WITH IT

Changed the way I played the game that's for sure. Now I score beauty goals with my left at BMO. ;)

poppamidnight
08-20-2008, 10:19 AM
Dear
Shaughno,
wern't you just all over me for saying Robert was junk yesterday????

........So what happens now that mo aknowledges that Robert was the weak point????

Shaughno
08-20-2008, 10:21 AM
Dear
Shaughno,
wern't you just all over me for saying Robert was junk yesterday????

........So what happens now that mo aknowledges that Robert was the weak point????

He's not junk, but he's not playing his heart out for our team. Anyone can see that.

I still think that we could have benefitted from keeping him, but if it means Ruiz OR Robert, I'll take Ruiz thanks.

poppamidnight
08-20-2008, 10:30 AM
He's not junk, but he's not playing his heart out for our team. Anyone can see that.

I still think that we could have benefitted from keeping him, but if it means Ruiz OR Robert, I'll take Ruiz thanks.

But you were disagreeing with the facts i presented on robert:

-One dimensional (i kick with my left thats all)
-came back on D once
-increasingly showing his frustration (threatening for a straight red)
-Crosses are loosing quality....

IMO ur backtracking now to save face :noidea:

CSI Toronto??? No evidence to show these things were true???

...well they obviously were true if Mo/Carver finally decided enough

Poppa knows best

Fort York Redcoat
08-20-2008, 10:49 AM
Robert could've been more. I think we all know it. He wasn't helping us win and now he's going. It's too bad. Moving on..

Shaughno
08-20-2008, 10:55 AM
But you were disagreeing with the facts i presented on robert:

-One dimensional (i kick with my left thats all)
-came back on D once
-increasingly showing his frustration (threatening for a straight red)
-Crosses are loosing quality....

IMO ur backtracking now to save face :noidea:

CSI Toronto??? No evidence to show these things were true???

...well they obviously were true if Mo/Carver finally decided enough

Poppa knows best

Except you didn't present those facts in the post I called you out on.

Robert has always been a one footed player, that's not one dimensional at all. He has talent, he just hasn't been using it to his fullest. That is something I never disagreed on. I don't believe I ever said anything about him tracking back on D either. I do believe I touched on his frustration multiple times in multiple threads.

Did I want Robert to leave? No, not really. I wish he could've performed better though. When it comes down to it, his salary vs Ruiz's salary, I'll take a goal scorer over a lazy winger. Especially so when we have Johann who's looking pretty good so far, hopefully he keeps that up.

poppamidnight
08-20-2008, 11:52 AM
Except you didn't present those facts in the post I called you out on.

Robert has always been a one footed player, that's not one dimensional at all. He has talent, he just hasn't been using it to his fullest. That is something I never disagreed on. I don't believe I ever said anything about him tracking back on D either. I do believe I touched on his frustration multiple times in multiple threads.

Did I want Robert to leave? No, not really. I wish he could've performed better though. When it comes down to it, his salary vs Ruiz's salary, I'll take a goal scorer over a lazy winger. Especially so when we have Johann who's looking pretty good so far, hopefully he keeps that up.

actually all those were presented by me in that thread,
*flip-flop-flip-flop*

Regardless I agree with YOUR CURRENT POSITION (the bolded part)

Although keep in mind, Ruiz isnt Robert replacement....

so u cant really say it's one for the other...

Johann's Robert replacement....
Ruiz is there to take out a def-mid (Edu/Harmse) spot out of our 11

Raging Reggie
08-20-2008, 11:58 AM
8aI0QTEJjIg