PDA

View Full Version : Do you like BMO field???

Kickit09
08-19-2008, 04:00 PM
I'm talking about the actual facility as it stands right now, not the atmosphere or gameday experience (that has more to do with us supporters than the actual building). seems like people have a love hate relationship with our stadium, so i made a poll and im curious to see the result.

Do you like BMO field as it stands right now? (remember, i mean the actual facility, not the atmosphere or gameday experience.)

ilikemusic
08-19-2008, 04:01 PM
The only thing I would change is the pitch.

Otherwise, I love the minimalism of the facility.

boban
08-19-2008, 04:03 PM
Put real grass in.
Get rid of the tables.
Get rid of the patio stairs
Fully enclose the stadium with seats
and put a roof on top of that

Torcida
08-19-2008, 04:04 PM
It's a great stadium. The facility is well maintained and the sight lines are great. Of course, I would like roofs, grass and expansion but it's a very good stadium and I am happy we have it.

NF-FC
08-19-2008, 04:05 PM
i don't hate it but i could be improved

Beach_Red
08-19-2008, 04:05 PM
Well, it's minimalist all right. Sometimes when the place gets rocking I have images of being part of, "The Great Toronto Disaster of '08."

It's a stepping-stone facility and will fill its purpose nicly, but in fifteen years the team will need a new stadium and in twenty we'll actually get it.

NF-FC
08-19-2008, 04:06 PM
i'd like to see a north stand as soon as possible to help keep the argos out

flatpicker
08-19-2008, 04:07 PM
there should be a "sort of" option in the poll...

JonO
08-19-2008, 04:09 PM
I like the stadium. Sure it's not the greatest, but that's not the question ;) Before a roof, I would like to see grass (who wouldn't) and have them fill in the corners and the north stand.

kitchener-TFC
08-19-2008, 04:09 PM
Put real grass in.
Get rid of the tables.
Do whatever Boban said.

Kickit09
08-19-2008, 04:10 PM
there should be a "sort of" option in the poll...

i know but everyone would of picked that so i specifically made it a simple ‘yes’ or ‘no’ poll to make people make a decision, and added the words "as it stands right now".

JonO
08-19-2008, 04:10 PM
If they're not going to bring the east stands closer - I have no problem with the tables...

rocker
08-19-2008, 04:13 PM
i like the stadium. it gets the job done. i'm not there to piss in a gold encrusted urinal or something. maybe in 10 years it'll start to get decrepit but it's cute as it stands.

I remember when I first walked in .. I loved it.. thought it looked like a wee mini stadium.

basically the sightlines kick ass and that's all that matters really. I would like a roof to keep the sunburning to a minimum, and just more space so that at halftime people aren't like sardines on the concourse. But you can run up there at any time other than half and do what you need to do pretty quickly.

UltraSuperMegaMo
There’s nothing wrong with BMO. I sometimes see these mutli-million (sometimes billion) dollar stadiums and wonder what the big deal is. No one goes to a sporting event to watch the stadium.

tfc_4_ever
Put real grass in.
Get rid of the tables.

ditto

Ossington Mental Youth
08-19-2008, 04:15 PM
Sure, things can always be fixed and upgraded but as of right now, its fine

RPB_Brantford_08
08-19-2008, 04:20 PM
its such a great stadium, its has more life in there the some of the bigger TO stadiums/arenas. the local access by rail/streetcar can't be beat. It's home!!!

boban
08-19-2008, 04:21 PM
its such a great stadium, its has more life in there the some of the bigger TO stadiums/arenas. the local access by rail/streetcar can't be beat. It's home!!!
Question wasn't about life/atmosphere/experience.

jimiv
08-19-2008, 04:22 PM
The Atmosphere is great, but the washrooms and concessions suck ass. If they upgraded these then the stadium would be great, but I hate that the stands are empty for the first tem minutes after the half.

Kickit09
08-19-2008, 04:31 PM
to clearify, the reason i started this thread (besides the obvious anti turf, needs a roof, and more seats talk on these boards) is that i was looking at pics of red bull park and i must admit i am jealous. i know people dont go to the game to watch the stadium, but it sure is nice to watch the game in a really nice stadium.

25,000 seats, roof , real grass :drool5:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/8d/RedBull-Aerial-People_copyright_SM.jpg

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2007/12/04/sports/04soccer.span.jpg

RealG-TFC
08-19-2008, 04:43 PM
The only thing that bugs me are the tables at pitch level. It looks so amateur.

Ratven
08-19-2008, 04:51 PM
The Red Bull stadium is really really nice... maybe we need the Argos to come in, maybe we need to play 8+ years on the gridiron before the execs get theirs heads out of their asses and realize that we would benefit from such a stadium much more than New York.

NateDoGG
08-19-2008, 05:07 PM
its nice
but if the argos come in, it will be shit

i wonder how argo fans feel moving to bmo? do they like it or not? i could see why they would like it, but still, they know we dont want them here, fuck em

NateDoGG
08-19-2008, 05:07 PM
btw the redbull stadium looks effing beautiful...... looks world class
makes our look like shit compared to it

i bet they are planning on bringing some big euro names to play in it too,

Redcoe15
08-19-2008, 05:16 PM
btw the redbull stadium looks effing beautiful...... looks world class
makes our look like shit compared to it

i bet they are planning on bringing some big euro names to play in it too,
What they really need are more asses in the seats next year. Averaging 12,000 per non-Beckham match in a metropolitan area of around 18 million is, to say the least, embarassing. And, to say the most, pathetic!

Smenge
08-19-2008, 05:34 PM
Red Bull stadium, when built, will be the jewel of MLS. By comparison, BMO is a glorified high school stadium (there are superior parks in high schools throughout the USA).....no canopy, no grass, lousy plastic seats, crap all around......

king10
08-19-2008, 05:36 PM
Red Bull stadium, when built, will be the jewel of MLS. By comparison, BMO is a glorified high school stadium (there are superior parks in high schools throughout the USA).....no canopy, no grass, lousy plastic seats, crap all around......

we could be playing at buck shaw.. or gillette:eek:

Detroit_TFC
08-19-2008, 05:38 PM
Compared to what, a poke in the eye? I can't even imagine what it would have been like if the York Univ plans had been used. The price tag seems a little high for what we got but it will be easier to expand (for soccer) than some other newer and more fancy stadiums. NYRB's place will be the premier location for North American soccer but it's going to take a long time to get it done. It's taken years to get a shovel in the ground.

stugautz
08-19-2008, 05:40 PM
I like it a lot! Sure we could all agree it's not perfect, but it doesn't have a stage and it's our home!

MrHawk
08-19-2008, 05:42 PM
to clearify, the reason i started this thread (besides the obvious anti turf, needs a roof, and more seats talk on these boards) is that i was looking at pics of red bull park and i must admit i am jealous. i know people dont go to the game to watch the stadium, but it sure is nice to watch the game in a really nice stadium.

And what you are looking at, is how the game day will be for whenever the Red Bulls play.

Kickit09
08-19-2008, 05:47 PM
^ true, and this is what it would look like if it were built here for TFC...

http://blog.nj.com/ledgerupdates_impact/2007/11/large_20071128redbullcloseL.jpg

rocker
08-19-2008, 05:48 PM
i'd rather watch TFC at BMO in Toronto than NYRB at Red Bull Park in New Jersey :)

sully
08-19-2008, 05:50 PM
Even if it needs a new roof and grass, most people like their home cos it's home...same with BMO.

Kickit09
08-19-2008, 05:52 PM
... but it's going to take a long time to get it done. It's taken years to get a shovel in the ground.

they broke ground in 2006, it was supposed to be done for this season but with delays its going to be ready late next year. so a little over 3 years, thats not too bad.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Bull_Park

gtaguy
08-19-2008, 06:11 PM
it does not compare to the best stadiums in europe but atleast we have something we can call HOME....

MrHawk
08-19-2008, 06:16 PM
Stadium will be no different than a lot of the other stadiums. Brand new stadium, gorgeous state of the art facility and it's main goal:

Compared to some stadiums in europe, we have it really easy. At least we have bathrooms

LucaGol
08-19-2008, 06:18 PM
Stadium will be no different than a lot of the other stadiums. Brand new stadium, gorgeous state of the art facility and it's main goal:

Compared to some stadiums in europe, we have it really easy. At least we have bathrooms

Italy, Greece, Croatia...ya...crap........everywhere else...I dunno what ur talking about.

profit89
08-19-2008, 06:37 PM
Put real grass in.
Get rid of the tables.

In other words,

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/8/8d/RedBull-Aerial-People_copyright_SM.jpg/300px-RedBull-Aerial-People_copyright_SM.jpg

Bars92
08-19-2008, 08:00 PM
Yeah the tables are so shit, like something the Argos would do.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
08-19-2008, 08:01 PM
In other words,

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/8/8d/RedBull-Aerial-People_copyright_SM.jpg/300px-RedBull-Aerial-People_copyright_SM.jpg

beauty!

Keegan
08-19-2008, 08:07 PM

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/8d/RedBull-Aerial-People_copyright_SM.jpg

That is bullshit. The stadium in those pictures looks like a 40,000 seater at least not 25,000 lol

Smenge
08-19-2008, 08:07 PM
This topic has been discussed for ages, and it is clear, that people like BMO, but BMO, in the world of stadiums, is shit.....compare it to anything being built in North America, or Europe, or planned, and you will be shocked into reality: it is an amateur facility built out of tin foil lego.

Roogsy
08-19-2008, 08:08 PM
BMO Field is ok...it isn't anything special structure-wise. But it's ours.

They could have spent a few more bucks and made it a little more aesthetically pleasing but that's neither here nor there.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
08-19-2008, 08:11 PM
That is bullshit. The stadium in those pictures looks like a 40,000 seater at least not 25,000 lol

I beleive....the one being built will only have one level...not 2 as shown in the pic

Shakes McQueen
08-19-2008, 08:14 PM
Red Bull Park may be nice, but BMO has the best location of the entire MLS, and that is likely never going to change.

Right in downtown Toronto, right off of a streetcar stop. Doesn't get any better than that.

I look forward to the day the TTC has a stop called "Toronto FC", sort of like how London Underground has the "Arsenal" stop.

One day BMO will be renovated into a more complete facility, and we will still get to retain the awesome location. And Red Bull Park will still be in the middle of rural New Jersey. :D

- Scott

MisterMacphisto
08-19-2008, 08:19 PM
I have a soft spot for BMO, but I will feel complete and be in love with the stadium, the day we have grass and I 100% know for sure the Argos will never play in the stadium.

Roof and more seats would be the gravy, but right now, I just want grass and no argos.

LucaGol
08-19-2008, 08:20 PM
BMO is only great cause we make it great....

....but let's call a spade a spade...it's a tin can.

druid
08-19-2008, 08:25 PM
Do you like BMO field as it stands right now? (remember, i mean the actual facility, not the atmosphere or gameday experience.)

Here's a list of my personal peeves.

Safety Entry/Exit: the place looks like it was designed by someone who's never heard of stadium disasters. The long stairs to the west stand, the length you have to go to get to an entry/exit point, the way they try and narrow the crowd through channel points at the end of the game. I really hope nothing bad every happens at BMO Field because I could see people getting seriously hurt or dying. The design is a disaster in itself.

No Grass: speaks for itself...

Steepness of the Stands: If they'd made the stands a little steeper there would be more room on the concourse and the noise of the crowd would have had a greater impact on the field.

Urinals: have you ever been in a football stadium before that had individual urinals? WTF?

On the bright side I do love the location.

mclaren
08-19-2008, 09:02 PM

That is one beautiful stadium.

SilverSamurai
08-19-2008, 09:17 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again, BMO may not be perfect seeing as it has no roof, no grass, and looks basic currently but atleast we have a home to call our own.
Having said that I look forward to the expansions and the improvement of our home and hope the Argos are kept the f*ck out!

billyfly
08-19-2008, 09:23 PM
Its a home more than any other facility I've ever been in. (except that one on Queen St that you may have heard of..)

Kickit09
08-19-2008, 09:55 PM

it just looks bigger than it is. the lower level only has like 16 rows and on one side there is no upper level just luxury boxes.

peskypetey
08-19-2008, 09:58 PM
Love it... and I am in the minority but I don't want a roof, I like the open air feeling.

Hustle
08-19-2008, 09:59 PM
Put real grass in.
Get rid of the tables.

yep, thats about right! Hate those fucking BMO patio tables!!! I cant wait to see one of those get hammered with a hard clearance!

Sonny Cheeba
08-19-2008, 10:26 PM
that redbulls stadium is only 25 000? and we're talking about 30-40 000 on these forums?

just remember, we need to expand before we get a roof. i like BMO field, i think it's great, and has potential.
the only thing we really have to complain about at this point in time is the grass. and loose screw
that roof at the redbulls stadium is what we should aim for.... dick's sporting goods roof is shit. a nice cantilever roof will do.

and those tables are a joke.

Cashcleaner
08-20-2008, 01:45 AM
BMO Field is a let-down to the potential of Toronto FC.

It was built as cheaply as possible and it shows. Make no mistake; it is our home and we make the place jump on gameday; but our home could do with a few improvements.

...Like grass...

...And a roof...

...And 5000 more seats...

...That wrap all the way around the stands.

I_AM_CANADIAN
08-20-2008, 02:01 AM
This topic has been discussed for ages, and it is clear, that people like BMO, but BMO, in the world of stadiums, is shit.....compare it to anything being built in North America, or Europe, or planned, and you will be shocked into reality: it is an amateur facility built out of tin foil lego.
It's better than your average Championship/Serie B/Bundesliga 2 stadium, which is really all we need right now. They will eventually get rid of that beer garden, but hey, the design of BMO is the standard for really all but the top clubs in Europe. Four stands, and I'm sure they'll eventually add a roof over at least some parts of the stadium. Upton Park (West Ham), Villa Park (Aston Villa), Ewood Park (Blackburn Rovers), The Valley (Charlton) and Craven Cottage (Fulham) are all current Premiership stadiums that are designed almost the exact same way as BMO. I like how ours is designed, actually, I prefer it to the ultra modern designs like the Emirates Stadium and the new RSL one. As for the corners not being filled in, I kind of like that actually, gives it more of a vintage appeal in my opinion... Of course, I'm weird, so there you go. ;)

Though I agree it is cheaply built and the beer garden must go within the next five years preferrably, it's a brand new stadium that was built for a team they weren't sure would succeed. Now they know that TFC are a big hit and the fans are here to stay, there are bound to be improvements. It makes sense business-wise as well, the more comfortable you make it for your supporters, the more likely they are to keep coming back.

Inswingingwingman
08-20-2008, 05:48 AM
There are a couple of roofs to protect the players from rain and beer showers. LOL

dannyd
08-20-2008, 06:41 AM
I like BMO, it's better than Selhurst Park, where I used to watch Palace, and Selhurst has grass and a roof. The problem with Selhurst is there are pillars blocking your view and whenever you're in the bathroom or stairways it's intimidating and you feel like your gonna get mugged. BMO is a definate improvement over most European/British stadiums (except for the famous stadiums in Europe).

Bloor West FC
08-20-2008, 07:45 AM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/8d/RedBull-Aerial-People_copyright_SM.jpg[/IMG]

It is a beautiful stadium thats for sure!!!!! But I still love BMO Field!!! Location rocks, I kinda like that we don't have a roof. We need grass thats the only negative thing about our stadium now, if Argos come in than everything falls apart :(

Fort York Redcoat
08-20-2008, 07:52 AM
BMO is working for now. I'd rather be there than many other stadia on the continent. But really, don't we know what improvement are needed?

Grass- coming
stand covers-nice but not manditory
and better flow around the stadium. More bank machines. lines that crowds don't walk through etc.

So far so good.