PDA

View Full Version : Mo says new signing on way

Pages : [1] 2

redrocket08
08-19-2008, 11:36 AM
Check out the end of the article on the TFC website....

A new player in next 24 hours....

Mo Johnston on player moves

Toronto Director of Soccer talks about Edu departure

Toronto FC Director of Soccer Mo Johnston has been commenting on Mo Edu's pending move to Scottish side Glasgow Rangers. "The deal is pending as Mo needs to get a work permit, but he is looking forward to his new challenge, and we're looking forward to moving on," said Johnston. Johnston revealed that Rangers have been wanting to sign Edu since last year. "Walter Smith was looking at Mo last year. They made an offer and it was refused, but they watched him leading up to the Olympics and at the Olympics, and made another bid."

Read more (http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20080819&content_id=181353&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280)

Bobo
08-19-2008, 11:39 AM
Good stuff.

Even more importantly:

We will make a proposal to the board to see if we can put it towards a practice facility, maybe a grass field here which I think is vital for us moving forward and obviously the Academy."

arsenal
08-19-2008, 11:39 AM

http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20080819&content_id=181353&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280

And another player leaving the squad. Perhaps a trade within MLS or is Robert being shown the door? Based on report from Ives ..... Ruiz was supposed to be dealt by Thursday.... ???????

Whoop
08-19-2008, 11:40 AM
:violin:

I figure he's talking about Tello.

arsenal
08-19-2008, 11:41 AM
:violin:

I figure he's talking about Tello.

I thought so as well but Mo says "I have had to go within the MLS market." Tello may be the potential signing who is a free agent that is mentioned.

Lucky Strike
08-19-2008, 11:43 AM
Not just another player within 24 hours but ALSO, potentially two more (one unattached and another MLS player). And great news about the proposal to the board. Hopefully, the loss of Huckerby, O'Brien and Dickov will serve as a catalyst for the right decision to be made.

canadian_bhoy
08-19-2008, 11:44 AM
The smart money would be on Ruiz coming to T.O. then no?

Interesting to see who goes, I'd be inclined to think that it could be Robert who hasn't really impressed since his great start to the season. If we ditch him, its a good thing. Hopefully TFC is setting the standard that this isn't a retirement home. Come in, do the business or you're gone.

Roogsy
08-19-2008, 11:46 AM
Make the proposal to the board to make BMO a grass pitch and make Lamport the artificial turf all-year facility!

But glad to hear a signing is on the way...although at this point, all we really have avaiable to us are cast-offs which really isn't that encouraging.

Canadian Blue
08-19-2008, 11:46 AM
be interesting to see who is leaving, hopefully it is not someone we need. Although I don't mind Robert the signing of Jo Smith may be what pushes him out the door.

Roogsy
08-19-2008, 11:47 AM
Nobody needs to leave...I think we have the room don't we?

Besides...even if we didn't...Jo Smith could be pushed down to the developmental team again. It's not like he's made the most of his time on the big team.

denime
08-19-2008, 11:51 AM
He is bringing Cunny back,now that he scored 100 he might be on the roll again.

Chevy
I read Mo's comments as saying he was looking into a practice facility with a grass field, not putting a grass field at BMO.

Roogsy
I know...I am just saying don't do that! Make BMO grass!!! (Just dreaming is all...)

dantdot
08-19-2008, 11:53 AM
be interesting to see who is leaving, hopefully it is not someone we need. Although I don't mind Robert the signing of Jo Smith may be what pushes him out the door.

Hmmm...I wonder who it is, wouldn't be surprised if it was Robert.

romburgundy
08-19-2008, 11:53 AM

Mo Johnston on player moves

Toronto Director of Soccer talks about Edu departure

Toronto FC Director of Soccer Mo Johnston has been commenting on Mo Edu's pending move to Scottish side Glasgow Rangers. "The deal is pending as Mo needs to get a work permit, but he is looking forward to his new challenge, and we're looking forward to moving on," said Johnston. Johnston revealed that Rangers have been wanting to sign Edu since last year. "Walter Smith was looking at Mo last year. They made an offer and it was refused, but they watched him leading up to the Olympics and at the Olympics, and made another bid."

[/URL][URL="http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20080819&content_id=181353&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280"]Read more (http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20080819&content_id=181353&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280)

I can't wait !

Nuvinho
08-19-2008, 11:56 AM
oooh player movement. I like that!!!!

hopefully 2 to 3 players in, and 1 to the developmental roster (Jarrod Smith)

Chevy
Hmmm...I wonder who it is, wouldn't be surprised if it was Robert.

I wouldn't be surprised either. I have always felt that Robert was here just to stay in shape for the upcoming EPL season (which has started).

Lucky Strike

Besides...even if we didn't...Jo Smith could be pushed down to the developmental team again. It's not like he's made the most of his time on the big team.

Nobody needs to, but the article claims that someone is regardless. It<s funny how we're writing off Robert as soon as Jo Smith played 45 minutes. Although Robert did come on an unguaranteed contract though...

dantdot
08-19-2008, 12:02 PM
I wouldn't be surprised either. I have always felt that Robert was here just to stay in shape for the upcoming EPL season (which has started).

Doubt he'd cut it in the premier league at this point considering he barely stands out in the MLS, granted the players around him are mostly shite.

romburgundy
this isn't a retirement home.

Well said we should replace All For One with that one

Bobo

Think ya meant Ja. Smith. :D

TFC_Junky
I'd be happy to see Robert go. Interested in who's coming in though. My bet for the MLS market is Ruiz and the out of contract to be Tello... Can't wait for the official word...

Chevy
08-19-2008, 12:04 PM
Doubt he'd cut it in the premier league at this point considering he barely stands out in the MLS, granted the players around him are mostly shite.

I guess what I meant to say is that the "English Professional Leagues" have started. In what league he ends up in is anybody's guess.

Roogsy
08-19-2008, 12:04 PM

Sorry yes...the Smith that hasn't impressed so far. Jarrod.

Lucky Strike
08-19-2008, 12:06 PM

Indeed.

bangersandmash
08-19-2008, 12:06 PM
I'm officially not getting excited about anything until I see a player walk onto the field wearing out kit with the MLS anthem playing. Not bashing anyone, <violins> I've just been hurt so many times this year that I just cannot take it anyone </violins>. As for the player on his way out... I hope its not Dichio calling time on his career.

The brightest spot is the grass. Mo wouldn't make a proposal to the board if it wasn't somehow in the board's hands. This could mean that TFC don't need the permission of the province, the city and the Masons to lay down some European-quality grass (but not champions league final grass!! We'll never be able to sign John Terry!)

DigzTFC!
08-19-2008, 12:07 PM
Lets list the people who fit the description

There's another player leaving the club and another player coming in.
- Robert leaving or another in a trade. Who could be traded? I really don't know because most of our players are new or permanent.

I'm also still on the market for a guy who is out of contract
- Tello, Christanval

Another player within MLS.
- Ruiz, Unnamed player. Who else is being shopped?

From my understanding, the grass issue has to do with a practice field and not installing grass at BMO.

LucaGol
08-19-2008, 12:08 PM
Just sign the f*ckin player...enough with the mystery, the name dropping, the insinuation, the mind games....just get people in here.

The entire season, the fans as well as the team has been in constant turmoil over player movement. Just get the players in at the expected times and be done with it.

Damien
08-19-2008, 12:11 PM
Well said we should replace All For One with that one

Toronto FC - This isn't a retirement home!

hmm... i like the marketing possibilities! ;)

Lucky Strike
08-19-2008, 12:11 PM
I'd be happy to see Robert go. Interested in who's coming in though. My bet for the MLS market is Ruiz and the out of contract to be Tello... Can't wait for the official word...

I don't know if I'd be happy, per se, but not disappointed. I remember the day where I found Robert was signed, I was psyched: more so than any other player we ever signed (and partly because I was the first one to tell the board here). But ever since the RSL game where he scored and the DC game we lost 1-4 (we was class amongst crap), he's been underwhelming for me. If he hasn't done much in about 20 or so matches, is that enough for us to say: "well, he's not working out" or do we persevere?

Personally, I'd give him until the end of the season and hopefully he can play like Pie-boy (Collin Samuel for any new people) when he was scared for his job.

dantdot
08-19-2008, 12:12 PM
I'm tired of this waiting BS. Where are our moles? We knew Tebily was leaving a week before it was announced.

Ossington Mental Youth
08-19-2008, 12:13 PM
Really dont see Robert going anywhere despite peoples opinion on here.
Tello is almost definitely the signing, wouldnt be surprised if Christanval got signed as well. Wouldnt be surprised if Ja Smith got dropped to developmental (if he isnt already), traded or waived. Got effort, crap finish

arsenal
08-19-2008, 12:13 PM
Player w/i MLS could also be Will Johnson.

Redpunkfiddle
08-19-2008, 12:15 PM
Anyone who was at Joe's to watch the away game probably knows the new signing.

Moral of the story- Watch Away Games at Joe's.

Lucky Strike
08-19-2008, 12:16 PM

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesss... (parody of Max Bretos - but I do agree with you)

DigzTFC!
08-19-2008, 12:16 PM
It could be Will Johnson....great point

Ossington Mental Youth
08-19-2008, 12:17 PM
It could be Will Johnson....great point

Was just about to write this myself, should be REALLY interesting to see what happens in the next 24 hours

LucaGol
08-19-2008, 12:17 PM

If it was somehow Will Johnson, if he was maybe included at the back-end of the McBride deal, but it couldn't be announced until later....I'd be curious to know what people think he could accomplish in the MLS at the age of 23.

Not a patronising question, I really want to know.

Personally, I think he could have the same type of impact that someone like a Robbie Rogers or a Sascha Kljestan has.....or maybe Im being too optimistic.

bangersandmash
08-19-2008, 12:18 PM
From my understanding, the grass issue has to do with a practice field and not installing grass at BMO.

"500 will go on allocation money. We will make a proposal to the board to see if we can put it towards a practice facility, maybe a grass field here which I think is vital for us moving forward and obviously the Academy.""

I'm only being a dick about this because I'm excited about the possibility of grass at BMO. Mo says "here," if he was talking about a yet-to-be built practice facility he would (should?) have said "there." As I said, not trying to pick a grammar fight, just trying to keep the dream alive. :)

Lucky Strike
08-19-2008, 12:18 PM
Really dont see Robert going anywhere despite peoples opinion on here.
Tello is almost definitely the signing, wouldnt be surprised if Christanval got signed as well. Wouldnt be surprised if Ja Smith got dropped to developmental (if he isnt already), traded or waived. Got effort, crap finish

This is just random thoughts I'm putting out, but maybe having Christanval (if he comes) would stir Robert into playing better. Could be a pyschological thing: he feels isolated because no one else really speaks french on the team and his english is pretty poor.

Smenge
08-19-2008, 12:21 PM
Dicho retires.
Wynne is traded for a seasoned defender.
Robert is waived.
Kiki Musampa is the new player.

Lucky Strike
08-19-2008, 12:21 PM
"500 will go on allocation money. We will make a proposal to the board to see if we can put it towards a practice facility, maybe a grass field here which I think is vital for us moving forward and obviously the Academy.""

I'm only being a dick about this because I'm excited about the possibility of grass at BMO. Mo says "here," if he was talking about a yet-to-be built practice facility he would (should?) have said "there." As I said, not trying to pick a grammar fight, just trying to keep the dream alive. :)

That's the way I read it too. "Here" to me means BMO because Lamport already has grass and a new practice facility would be referred to as "there" (unless he were already standing "there" at the future site making "here" mean "there").

Ossington Mental Youth
08-19-2008, 12:22 PM
This is just random thoughts I'm putting out, but maybe having Christanval (if he comes) would stir Robert into playing better. Could be a pyschological thing: he feels isolated because no one else really speaks french on the team and his english is pretty poor.

Could very well be, i wouldnt be surprised, its an added bonus with Christanvals cb experience.

Could be that Harmse gets moved as well

Tintin
08-19-2008, 12:22 PM
That's the way I read it too. "Here" to me means BMO because Lamport already has grass and a new practice facility would be referred to as "there" (unless he were already standing "there" at the future site making "here" mean "there").

It is turf at Lamport too...

Lucky Strike
08-19-2008, 12:24 PM
It is turf at Lamport too...

Ah. Well that would still fall into "there" unless he were conducting the interview there for some reason.

BTW: Where's capitaine Haddock?

DigzTFC!
08-19-2008, 12:26 PM

Hahaha fair enough

ensco
08-19-2008, 12:26 PM
Dicho retires.
Wynne is traded for a seasoned defender.
Robert is waived.
Kiki Musampa is the new player.

no no it's Savo Milosevic! ;)

jloome
08-19-2008, 12:27 PM
The Robert bashing is getting over the top. This is not Cunny; this guy has skills and plays well 65-70% of the time, maybe more. He just doesn't have the legs he had when he was younger and he was already a primarily attacking player, whereas he's playing on a team where pretty much everyone plays both ways.

I'd be very surprised if they dropped him before Jarrod Smith. Both Robert and Ricketts have given decent service from the wings, there's just never anyone there to finish it.

jloome
08-19-2008, 12:29 PM
Anyone who was at Joe's to watch the away game probably knows the new signing.

Moral of the story- Watch Away Games at Joe's.

Whatever, if you have a name cough it up.

And if you're thinking it's a certain Red Bull player, my sources say you're wrong.

Ossington Mental Youth
08-19-2008, 12:31 PM
The Robert bashing is getting over the top. This is not Cunny; this guy has skills and plays well 65-70% of the time, maybe more. He just doesn't have the legs he had when he was younger and he was already a primarily attacking player, whereas he's playing on a team where pretty much everyone plays both ways.

I'd be very surprised if they dropped him before Jarrod Smith. Both Robert and Ricketts have given decent service from the wings, there's just never anyone there to finish it.

Holy shit.
Thank you very much.
Sometimes i think people need someone to bash on here.
Dude is not going anywhere.

Roogsy
08-19-2008, 12:32 PM
LMAO!

Does it count that I wasn't in the country or do I get punished as well?

I saw the Colorado game at Joes...any chance I get credit for that? :lol:

poppamidnight
My Hopes:

not in a contract player: Kiki Musampa..... Mo realizes his penny-pinching F*** up and brings him back (our best pre-season Left-winger)

and the "MLS Player": Ruiz.....

Player Gone: Robert

Kiki slots right into Roberts left side, we go 3 back, slot Ruiz up-front,

_________Sutton___________
_Wynne____Marshall_____Jimmy_
__________Robbo________
__Ricketts___Guevara___Musampa
__Barrett____Ruiz____Johann___

Finally have a good rotation off the bench as well:
Sub 1: Ibbe
Sub 2: Attakora
Sub 3a: Hemming
Sub 3b: James

Tintin
Ah. Well that would still fall into "there" unless he were conducting the interview there for some reason.

BTW: Where's capitaine Haddock?

He is drunk and somewhere in a corner.

Roogsy
08-19-2008, 12:35 PM
_________Sutton___________
_Wynne____Marshall_____Jimmy_
__________Robbo________
__Ricketts___Guevara___Musampa
__Barrett____Ruiz____Johann___

Finally have a good rotation off the bench as well:
Sub 1: Ibbe
Sub 2: Attakora
Sub 3a: Hemming
Sub 3b: James

Ouch...that backline looks weak. A team like this better score because they sure as hell won't keep clean sheets!

DigzTFC!
08-19-2008, 12:36 PM
The Robert issue has more to do with the arrival of Johann and his salary. There are games that Robert plays well and his quality has never been put into question....it has more to do with the fact he doesn't have the legs anymore. It could be the hamstring issue, but its been apparent all season. Sometimes players just get old....

Nuvinho
08-19-2008, 12:37 PM
I think Harmse is out, Jarrod Smith to the developemental roster.

Harmse and allocation money to LA for Ruiz

Tello signed.

poppamidnight
Ouch...that backline looks weak. A team like this better score because they sure as hell won't keep clean sheets!

and our back-line as of late hasent looked weak????

Cmon,
James has shown he isnt ready to start,
Velez has shown he doesnt belong on the pitch with his recent play (shouldnt see the light of day till he gets his s*** in order....

FACT: almost all our clean sheets were due to Greg Sutton, not the "back 4"

Ossington Mental Youth
Prbo is JoSmith is totally unproven at this point and i dont think they want to gamble on that over Robert

Roogsy
08-19-2008, 12:38 PM
and our back-line as of late hasent looked weak????

Cmon,
James has shown he isnt ready to start,
Velez has shown he doesnt belong on the pitch with his recent play (shouldnt see the light of day till he gets his s*** in order....

FACT: almost all our clean sheets were due to Greg Sutton, not the "back 4"

So your rationale is to take a defender out?

Can't agree with that strategy, but would be interested to see how it pans out.

poppamidnight
08-19-2008, 12:40 PM
So your rationale is to take a defender out?

Can't agree with that strategy, but would be interested to see how it pans out.

No my strategy is to take out the ones who have caused A GOOD PORTION OF the trouble and shown they dont belong out there (Velez/James)....

...whats the use in having someone out there if their just gunna f*** up?

...We've all come to that realization with Kevin Harmse, and theres almost a unanimous agreement of all tfc-supporters that he no longer belongs in matches

Hell, If you want to have 4 out there jsut for the sake of 4 out there (and you know 1 will be f'in up), your better off getting one of us out there in a kit.... we wont effect your cap-room.... I'll play for a "on-field ticket"

sully
08-19-2008, 12:42 PM
"The money raised from the transfer........We will make a proposal to the board to see if we can put it towards a practice facility, maybe a grass field here which I think is vital for us moving forward and obviously the Academy."

Is he talking about a grass field for the practice facility or for BMO?

Also, I'd much prefer the money from Edu's sale went toward signing a DP...money gained by selling players should be used to bring in players....as for grass - this should be MLSE's investment...

Roogsy
08-19-2008, 12:45 PM
LOL!

You got me on that one Big Poppa...I don't even have a response... :rofl:

poppamidnight
08-19-2008, 12:47 PM
LOL!

You got me on that one Big Poppa...I don't even have a response... :rofl:

It's true,

any one of us can stand out there and admire the other teams passing...

...I could have easily have played the role of Kevin Harmse last game....

Marco Velez wouldh've been a little harder to emulate, cuz I COULDNT EVEN SEE HIM in his f-ups.... he was nowhere to be found....

Seriously where was he when James was scrambling back to cover his arse????

Did he "pull a manny"????

flatpicker
08-19-2008, 12:48 PM
"The money raised from the transfer........We will make a proposal to the board to see if we can put it towards a practice facility, maybe a grass field here which I think is vital for us moving forward and obviously the Academy."

Is he talking about a grass field for the practice facility or for BMO?

Also, I'd much prefer the money from Edu's sale went toward signing a DP...money gained by selling players should be used to bring in players....as for grass - this should be MLSE's investment...

I sure hope he was talking about BMO getting grass!

I understand that spending the money on bringing in better players would be nice,
but I think if they put grass into BMO then we would attract more players attention as a result.

joel
08-19-2008, 12:49 PM
Kiki? LOL as if he's even remotely match fit.

Ossington Mental Youth
08-19-2008, 12:50 PM

I fail to understand this too

poppamidnight
08-19-2008, 12:51 PM

his "non-match fit" would still dwarft Roberts "match-fit"....

Robert doesnt even run any more....

Seriously, he couldnt even give us that 1 meter jog from that outletpass Sutton gave him!!!!

Shaughno
08-19-2008, 12:52 PM
^^ It would help if Sutton could distribute the ball without giving it right to the other team.

Chevy
08-19-2008, 12:52 PM

I think he meant "here" as in "the club" and was unfortunately referring to a grass practice facility.

Ossington Mental Youth
08-19-2008, 12:53 PM
Yeah, thats why Musampa excelled in Korean right?
Sorry man, he was good but his pedigree isnt the same and his career has been on a downslide

poppamidnight
^^ It would help if Sutton could distribute the ball without giving it right to the other team.

That wasnt right to the other team...

That was right to robert,
who (unconvientently decided), you know what, i'll just stop right here and wait for it to roll to me....

Stugatzo
DeRo.

boban
Make the proposal to the board to make BMO a grass pitch and make Lamport the artificial turf all-year facility!
This doesn't solve anything. In fact the city looses a field in this transaction.
Lamport is already a facility used by people.
A NEW fake grass field or two have to be built to compensate for the loss of the NSS.

dantdot
08-19-2008, 12:54 PM
Didn't Kiki say after his trial that the level in the MLS is too low for him? I don't want this unwanted douche coming back for a paycheck.

Cashcleaner
Gotta be Ruiz. It just has the look and feel of a deal with LA for him.

Shaughno
That wasnt right to the other team...

That was right to robert,
who (unconvientently decided), you know what, i'll just stop right here and wait for it to roll to me....

Sorry, didn't realize you were talking about one particular instance. I still don't see Kiki being 'better' than Robert. He played a whole 5 games in Korea, obviously made a major impact there...

Ossington Mental Youth
08-19-2008, 12:55 PM
Gotta be Ruiz. It just has the look and feel of a deal with LA for him.

Prob right but i hope youre wrong and we are surprised with Johnson
Fingers crossed

Nuvinho
Kiki isn't coming here.

LA needs allocation money, we have money.......we need a striker, they need to get rid of one.

poppamidnight
Didn't Kiki say after his trial that the level in the MLS is too low for him? I don't want this unwanted douche coming back for a paycheck.

Best player in our pre-season...

...could u blame him for thinking he was soo great???:noidea:

Certainly shown mo that he was great enough to be better than Robert turned out for us!!! (around the same asking price $300,000 )

giambac
08-19-2008, 12:56 PM

depth is a god thing. Why show someone the door so latein the season. keep them for depth and then decide in the offseason if you want to release them. They ain't saving much with 10 games to go.

Ossington Mental Youth
08-19-2008, 12:57 PM

Certainly shown mo that he was great enough to be better than Robert turned out for us!!!

Not to be belligerant but we didnt actually see him play, all we have is news reports. Pre season we were shit all together, everyone knows that. I personally dont have a prob with Robert (neither do quite a few others). Not the most convincing argument.

Nuvinho

Certainly shown mo that he was great enough to be better than Robert turned out for us!!!

How much would you play for Kiki?

Is he worth $1M?

How much of an approvement is he over Robert?

Will he make a difference?

He had his chance to come here, but went for the money.

sully
I think he meant "here" as in "the club" and was unfortunately referring to a grass practice facility.

another possibility is that what he meant by "here" was actually in terms of using the word akin to an exclamation point...confusing...but remember the scottish can't speak as intelligibly as the irish

DigzTFC!
08-19-2008, 12:59 PM
I really have mixed feelings about Ruiz...it seems repeat mistakes we've already made

Chevy
08-19-2008, 12:59 PM
I would start a poll on what Mo meant by "Here", but that would just confirm that I have no life.

shwade
08-19-2008, 01:00 PM
What good would grass at a practice facility, and artificial turf at BMO do?
The turf wouldn't give our players an advantage anymore because they wouldn't be practising on it, and buncing back and forth so soon could lead to injuries.

Ossington Mental Youth
08-19-2008, 01:00 PM
I really have mixed feelings about Ruiz...it seems repeat mistakes we've already made

IE Cunny.
I hear ya

giambac
08-19-2008, 01:01 PM

He plays well 65% of the time and you want to keep him? I guess you settled for a C average in school??

How about if we pay him only 65% of his salary?

Cut the Robert. He ha sbeen playing like crap.

Jarrod Smith isn't much better but then look at his salary????

DigzTFC!
08-19-2008, 01:03 PM
What good would grass at a practice facility, and artificial turf at BMO do?
The turf wouldn't give our players an advantage anymore because they wouldn't be practising on it, and buncing back and forth so soon could lead to injuries.

A lot of players, ie Huckerby and O'Brien, didn't have that big of problem with playing on the turf, but they did have a problem training every day on it. Carver mentioned they were looking for a grass field to practice on during the weekdays about two weeks ago

poppamidnight
08-19-2008, 01:05 PM
How much would you play for Kiki?

Is he worth $1M?

How much of an approvement is he over Robert?

Will he make a difference?

He had his chance to come here, but went for the money.

Cuz he's shown a rapport with the team???
Cuz he put up good pre-season #'s....

That $1M report was bogus.... Just like the 1920931289213 Sundin reports,

he knew he was non-DP $$$...

Roberts $300,000+, Kiki was asking $300,000 +.....

While I dont mind Robert in there with his left, I'm getting more and more pissed off with his:
a - Lazyness
b - Turnovers
c - Overt expression of his frustration (could eventually turn into a straight red, putting us a man down)....

Im looking at the #'s here...

Kiki's shown:
-he can put up better "per-game #'s" even with an inferior lineup alongside him (preseason + his set-ups)
-while asking the same price-range,
-not being "one Dimensional" like Robert is (I kick with my left, thats all i do)
-Being "Younger" than Robert
-and even without seeing him we all can say that he'll be a better help coming back on D (something Robert doesnt do)

I dont understand some people's stubborness:
It's like your plowing a field, somebodys offering you a big tractor to get it done, but you'd prefer to use your mule and tow......

...why????

DigzTFC!
08-19-2008, 01:06 PM
Futhermore on the subject of Robert, if Robert looks like he losing his engine to compete at MLS level, what will he look like next year? Johann needs playing time as he is a prospect, so its possible this move is part of the building process. All they guys at The Score have stated int he last podcast that he looks finished.

Shaughno
08-19-2008, 01:08 PM
Kiki is also known to score own goals more frequently than 99% of the players on the pitch. Guess that's an upside too?

Wooster_TFC
08-19-2008, 01:08 PM
http://redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=3237

We don't have space on the senior roster, although we do have the option to place Dunivant on SEI (why this hasn't been done yet, I'm not so sure. I know you need a replacement, but why cut people if you can do this?).

As for the player coming in and one going out, it won't be Robert, since Mo mentioned that it was a trade that made that happen. I can see the unattached player being Chirstanval because we could place Dunivant on SEI to sign him, and wouldn't have to cut anyone.

I don't know that Tello is officially on Mo's radar yet since he's still under trial.

As for the trade, I really hope it's not Ruiz, but I wouldn't expect anyone else.

Ossington Mental Youth
08-19-2008, 01:09 PM
Sorry man, still not convinced at all.
Theres no evidence to back up your claims.
Like i said, its all from what we heard reported to us preseason, not what we saw.

Shaughno
08-19-2008, 01:09 PM
^^ Dunny hasn't been placed on the SEI list yet, because we haven't brought in a replacement. You don't give up your spot when you're injured until they bring in a replacement for you.

Nuvinho
08-19-2008, 01:10 PM
Kiki played with a inferior lineup, but what about the teams he was playing against? Where they playing with their A team?

Its hard to say b/c someone does well in pre-season they will do well in regular season. If that was the case, Darren Bent at Tottenham will win the golden boot.

Kiki would of been a great addition back then, now we have to move on.

poppamidnight
08-19-2008, 01:12 PM
Sorry man, still not convinced at all.
Theres no evidence to back up your claims.
Like i said, its all from what we heard reported to us preseason, not what we saw.

get the tape... theres all the evidence...

Find me Robert coming back on D... He's done it 1 time all year when he was mad (right before he kicked the ball against a sign)???

Roberts Goal: Place kick.... his "specialty" (all he can do)

Financial #'s are there for you to see: roberts garaneed salary is like $315,000 (off top of my head, could be off)

Kiki: July 20 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/July_20), 1977 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1977)
Robert: May 21 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/May_21), 1975 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1975)

Evidence if overwhelming.... CSI Toronto will lock u up

NOTE: Never said it would happen, just that it "Should" happen, or "shouldhve" been....

If u ask me who'se on their way out, it's Harmse not Robert (Carver loyalty and all that garbage)

Dozitwin
08-19-2008, 01:13 PM
I read Mo's comments as saying he was looking into a practice facility with a grass field, not putting a grass field at BMO.

Totally not how I read it.

We will make a proposal to the board to see if we can put it towards a practice facility, maybe a grass field here which I think is vital for us moving forward

To me the comma indicates the next item in the list. And I would think the "here" would mean BMO. I think he knows that with the quality players that have backed away because of the turf, grass has become an necessity to develop the team for the future.

kdzb
08-19-2008, 01:13 PM
I sure hope he was talking about BMO getting grass!

No it will not be Grass for BMO. It will be a grassy surface around BMO to train on it all week but the home games will still be played at BMO.

Remember, the other day when I talked to Carver on the GO train, he mentionned that they are looking for a grassy surface to train on all week.

TFC USA
08-19-2008, 01:14 PM
We hear this what, every week now?

Pachuco
08-19-2008, 01:14 PM

While I dont mind Robert in there with his left, I'm getting more and more pissed off with his:
a - Lazyness
b - Turnovers
c - Overt expression of his frustration (could eventually turn into a straight red, putting us a man down)....

Kiki's shown:
-he can put up better "per-game #'s" even with an inferior lineup alongside him (preseason + his set-ups)
-not being "one Dimensional" like Robert is (I kick with my left, thats all i do)
-and even without seeing him we all can say that he'll be a better help coming back on D (something Robert doesnt do)

It's like your plowing a field, somebodys offering you a big tractor to get it done, but you'd prefer to use your mule and tow......

...why????

This post is ridicolous. This is just a bunch of assumptions, exagerations and false information.

bee dubya
08-19-2008, 01:15 PM
Could the "other guy on his way out" be Marvell Wynne? I hope not but I suppose that it's possible that he's on his way out too...

Shaughno
08-19-2008, 01:15 PM
get the tape... theres all the evidence...

Find me Robert coming back on D... He's done it 1 time all year when he was mad (right before he kicked the ball against a sign)???

Roberts Goal: Place kick.... his "specialty" (all he can do)

Financial #'s are there for you to see: roberts garaneed salary is like $315,000 (off top of my head, could be off)

Kiki: July 20 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/July_20), 1977 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1977)
Robert: May 21 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/May_21), 1975 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1975)

Evidence if overwhelming.... CSI Toronto will lock u up

NOTE: Never said it would happen, just that it "Should" happen, or "shouldhve" been....

If u ask me who'se on their way out, it's Harmse

There's still no real evidence to back anything up. Preseason is preseason, never judge your players by preseason games. The competition isn't at it's strongest and neither are you. Allowing skilled players more freedom and time to do things.

Oh by the way, Kiki also scored an own goal (as usual) in preseason for us. Did you take that into your 'evidence file' Mr CSI?

DigzTFC!
08-19-2008, 01:19 PM
http://thestar.blogs.com/torontofc/

I don't think we can really get a handle on Mo Johnston dealing though....I mean, how many of you saw the Johann Smith coming? If he's dealing within MLS it might be a different story however. Just go back to 2003-2004 and find the top scorers in the league. Thats where you'll find his targets for strikers.

Of the striker who have been rumored/I think to be available:

Ante Razov (my favorite), Carlos Ruiz, Herculez Gomes (opinion)

Ossington Mental Youth
08-19-2008, 01:19 PM
HAHAHAH
The only thing we will agree on is that Harmse is potentially going to leave.

PureTFC
08-19-2008, 01:31 PM
Hmmm, just to add to the smoke... Thomas Gravesen.... unattatched now.

As for Ruiz... Would just pass on another high priced under performer. LA fans still tell Ruiz to suck on these.

Roogsy
08-19-2008, 01:37 PM
This doesn't solve anything. In fact the city looses a field in this transaction.
Lamport is already a facility used by people.
A NEW fake grass field or two have to be built to compensate for the loss of the NSS.

Actually not true...the issue is with regards to the winter "bubble" that does not get put up at Lamport but does at BMO Field. If they promise to put it up at Lamport...it would appease those calling for "year round" facilities.

rocker
08-19-2008, 01:38 PM
I think Mo's "maybe a grass field here" could also be a modifying phrase of the first phrase (about the practice facility). So he's saying they would like a practice facility, and it could be a grass field located here (at the CNE). :)

my ideal option would be a field turf field on the south side of BMO in the parking lot that straddles those two roads. it would require moving a power substation tho, so maybe it wouldn't be feasible. But it would fit without losing too much of the parking. Put the bubble on that, and community users can still utilize the changerooms within BMO.
Or put it over by Medieval Times, on top of the baseball diamond. Although then people might complain about the diamond being taken from them.
Then put grass in the big stadium.

Roogsy
08-19-2008, 01:40 PM
Remember guys this thread is about new signings, not Robert or anyone else we think might not be up to par...

DigzTFC!
08-19-2008, 01:43 PM
I'm predicting a trade for Razov/Ruiz, acquisition of Will Johnson via trade of allocation after Edu is confirmed, and Christanval being signed....and by prediction I mean in my fucking dreams

Wooster_TFC
08-19-2008, 01:45 PM
^^ Dunny hasn't been placed on the SEI list yet, because we haven't brought in a replacement. You don't give up your spot when you're injured until they bring in a replacement for you.

Read my post again and realize that I'm quite aware of this. I'm also pretty sure (but not 100%) that people have been released since Dunny could have been placed on the SEI list in order to sign new players. Why not use the SEI status now, rather than getting rid of roster players?

Ossington Mental Youth
08-19-2008, 02:02 PM
Prob not gonna happen but Graveson would be huge and perfect

Stouffville_RPB
08-19-2008, 02:06 PM
The fact that we never really know who Mo is really looking at makes this whole thing a complete guessing game. With that said here's my take. Either Harmse, Smith or Robert are leaving (probability in that order). I think that Tello and Ruiz are the ones coming in.

I'll be proven wrong in less than 24 hours.

Ossington Mental Youth
08-19-2008, 02:18 PM
Harmse and Smith seem to be the two obvious ones to leave, as does Ruiz to come in (as hes being shopped about by LA).

Roogsy
08-19-2008, 02:23 PM
I'd take Ruiz if LA eats some of his salary. To make the playoffs, we are going to have to gamble.

poppamidnight
08-19-2008, 02:23 PM
Harmse and Smith seem to be the two obvious ones to leave, as does Ruiz to come in (as hes being shopped about by LA).

Thing about Smith....

He's our best option to hold for the Expansion draft (thereby protecting others)

Leave him for our unprotected list... with his age, he could be picked up,

Which is why i think regardless of how much jarrod might tail off this year, he's gunna stay until the expansion draft

rocker
08-19-2008, 02:27 PM
mo has dealt with Arena before....

Shaughno
08-19-2008, 02:28 PM
Thing about Smith....

He's our best option to hold for the Expansion draft (thereby protecting others)

Which is why i think regardless of how much jarrod might tail off this year, he's gunna stay until the expansion draft

Actually agree 100% here. Harmse doesn't seem to hold much value in this league but if I were a manager, I'd rather pick up Smith than Harmse. So keep Smith for the expansion draft.

DigzTFC!
08-19-2008, 02:28 PM
For the expansion draft we will probably lose a defender. Such Dunivant or Velez. How many do you have to leave unprotected?

Shaughno
08-19-2008, 02:29 PM
mo has dealt with Arena before....

And they hated each other did they not? :lol:

Lucky Strike
08-19-2008, 02:31 PM
Thing about Smith....

Now that's a quality remark! Interesting idea there but it seems the expansion draft rules change every time (because they're all different in the # of teams that participate). So leaving Ja. Smith opening the draft might be feasible; then again it might now because time, we had to protect all our international players.

As for Ruiz, I'd be happy with him on board despite claims he's washed up and a diver. Okay that last one is fact but as for his talent, the truth is we don't REALLY know what he's like because he's gotten so little playing time in LA. I know what message that sends but the point is that sometimes coaches are wrong and maybe Gullit was sitting one of his best players. He could still be of great value to us. I'd take him until the end of the season for sure.

Last thing, with a management change in LA, what are the chances Ruiz will no longer be actively shopped around? I still think he will be, but you never know.

Just things to consider...

rocker
And they hated each other did they not? :lol:

Arena gave us Dunivant and Wynne, right?

ManUtd4ever
I wouldn't be disappointed if the mls player turns out to be Ruiz. He would be the #1 striker on TFC by default despite his recent form. A change of scenery can do wonders for a player's confidence (ie. Edson Buddle)...

Damien
08-19-2008, 02:33 PM
I wouldn't be disappointed if the mls player turns out to be Ruiz. He would be the #1 striker on TFC by default despite his recent form. A change of scenery can do wonders for a player's confidence (ie. Edson Buddle)...

Good point... plus service from Guevara might suit his style perfectly.

Lucky Strike
08-19-2008, 02:34 PM

+1 and the other guy who agreed.

Nuvinho
08-19-2008, 02:38 PM
didn't we all talk bad about Guevara when he was rumoured to be coming to TFC. Ruiz, has a past, but so did Guevara. He can still put the ball in the net, and will increase the skill of TFC.

I know he makes alot of money, but with no one really on our team right now who can score it is worth the risk.

Ossington Mental Youth
08-19-2008, 02:38 PM
Thing about Smith....

This had occurred to me before, very good point

Shaughno
08-19-2008, 02:39 PM
Arena gave us Dunivant and Wynne, right?

Two players who he didn't rate and weren't getting any thought in his starting XI at the time.

Ossington Mental Youth
08-19-2008, 02:40 PM

Very true.
I do hate Buddle enough that i will credit his success with Secksy Becksys service as opposed to new scenery/new found form

Smenge
Mo has only one basic criteria for considering a new player: he has to be partly or mostly bald, and have gray pubic hair. I have no idea how the player displays this qualification, Mo keeps this a secret.

Shaughno
didn't we all talk bad about Guevara when he was rumoured to be coming to TFC. Ruiz, has a past, but so did Guevara. He can still put the ball in the net, and will increase the skill of TFC.

I know he makes alot of money, but with no one really on our team right now who can score it is worth the risk.

Agreed, and he's already gonna be down to half salary or whatever it is now. Why not take the chance? It can't put us in a worse position than we're in now can it?

poppamidnight
08-19-2008, 02:47 PM
Agreed, and he's already gonna be down to half salary or whatever it is now. Why not take the chance? It can't put us in a worse position than we're in now can it?

Wasnt Mo searching for another espana-speaking compadre for El Lobo???
Probably sick of Velez conversation by now....
Just more for the Ruiz talk........

One other thing i figured i'd throw in there as far as the one on the way out....

Maybe it's another one of the young guys, either with a trial, or disgruntled by the lack of playing time:
-Hemming (although he has been injured)
-Melo

kuku
08-19-2008, 02:48 PM
Here is what is happening. I can't reveal my source I can give u a hint. He's a former goalie that does analysis on a sports station that carries the tfc games:

LATEST WORD IS THAT ROBERT IS OUT. MOJO WALKED INTO THE LOCKER ROOM AND TOLD HIM TO PACK HIS BAGS. THEY ARE BRINGING IN CARLOS RUIZ AND SIGNING DEFENDER ANDY TODD FORMERLY OF BLACKBURN

Ossington Mental Youth
08-19-2008, 02:50 PM
Where didja find that?

Shaughno
08-19-2008, 02:51 PM
Here is what is happening. I can't reveal my source I can give u a hint. He's a former goalie that does analysis on a sports station that carries the tfc games:

LATEST WORD IS THAT ROBERT IS OUT. MOJO WALKED INTO THE LOCKER ROOM AND TOLD HIM TO PACK HIS BAGS. THEY ARE BRINGING IN CARLOS RUIZ AND SIGNING DEFENDER ANDY TODD FORMERLY OF BLACKBURN

If that were to be true... a 33 year old defender is our answer?

Todd joined Derby County (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derby_County_F.C.), for an undisclosed fee believed to be around the £750,000 mark on July 7 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/July_7), 2007 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007)[1] (http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/blackburnrovers/roverslatest/display.var.1527918.0.todd_joins_derby.php) and scored a late equaliser on his debut against Portsmouth on August 11 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/August_11), 2007 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007). However, his performance level soon dropped and after making two mistakes in Derby's 1-4 FA Cup defeat to Preston, Derby boss Paul Jewell (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Jewell) dropped him. It was announced on May 8 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/May_8), 2008 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008) that Todd was not in Jewell's plans for his restructuring of the Derby squad following relegation and he would be allowed to leave on a free transfer.

Nuvinho
did MoJo, tell him in French or in English, that he is out??

DigzTFC!
Glen Healy told you that? hahaha

ManUtd4ever
08-19-2008, 02:52 PM

Craig Forrest? Is that you? lol...

bangersandmash
08-19-2008, 02:54 PM
If this is true the Derby county could be challenging Norwich for the title of "Official player supplier to TFC."

SilverSamurai
08-19-2008, 02:54 PM
Forrest is coming back! LOL

Ossington Mental Youth
08-19-2008, 02:56 PM
erm ill file this under believe it when i see it

Technorgasm
08-19-2008, 02:57 PM
Grass gives me a boner.

Give BMO a Boner too by putting in grass. .

they can pactise on the plastic. . but PLay on the BOner!

I mean. . Grass

DigzTFC!
08-19-2008, 02:58 PM
Of the Derby games I've seen, him and Earnshaw were the most impressive. I think it would be a really good move actually

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRzk181_wd8

we need someone tough guys on the team

Pigfynn
08-19-2008, 02:59 PM
C'mon, one of you guys knows something...spill it !

Where's that dude with the player friend/relative?

He's always good for a scoop.

jloome
08-19-2008, 03:01 PM
I'm not even going to dignify the rank stupidity in this breakdown with a response, except to say that Kiki washed out in the K-Leauge, which is very similar in talent to MLS, within five games. In fact, he hasn't lasted anywhere in three years.

Robert has issues, but to suggest that even in their primes Kiki Musampa was in the same league as a guy who played for France in his prime and was a major producer for four straight years at Newcastle (while Musampa has never solidified a starting role anywhere) is absolutely asinine.

You have a hate on for Robert. We get it. Most of us recognize that his legs aren't waht they were. But to think we have better options in either Kiki Musampa or an untried 20-year-old who didn't show on loan to league two is, again, really fucking asinine.

a - Lazyness
b - Turnovers

Kiki's shown:

...why????

Shaughno
08-19-2008, 03:01 PM
C'mon, one of you guys knows something...spill it !

Where's that dude with the player friend/relative?

He's always good for a scoop.

Honestly haven't heard anything since last week! :noidea:

TFCREDNWHITE
08-19-2008, 03:03 PM
I'm not even going to dignify the rank stupidity in this breakdown with a response, except to say that Kiki washed out in the K-Leauge, which is very similar in talent to MLS, within five games. In fact, he hasn't lasted anywhere in three years.

Robert has issues, but to suggest that even in their primes Kiki Musampa was in the same league as a guy who played for France in his prime and was a major producer for four straight years at Newcastle (while Musampa has never solidified a starting role anywhere) is absolutely asinine.

You have a hate on for Robert. We get it. Most of us recognize that his legs aren't waht they were. But to think we have better options in either Kiki Musampa or an untried 20-year-old who didn't show on loan to league two is, again, really fucking asinine.

Fully agree with you!!

Shaughno
08-19-2008, 03:04 PM

Basically what I wanted to say but was too fucking lazy to do it myself. :D

Beach_Red
08-19-2008, 03:13 PM
Grass gives me a boner.

Give BMO a Boner too by putting in grass. .

I mean. . Grass

This would be such a different team right now if we had grass. It would be easy to sell the MLSE board on the extra $$$ they`d be making from CONCACAF Champions games and a deep playoff run - both would be realistic right now.

jloome
08-19-2008, 03:13 PM
Basically what I wanted to say but was too fucking lazy to do it myself. :D

Yeah, I'm in an obsteprous, pissy mood this week. The letter writers have been particularly ill-informed, albeit with good intentions.

Ossington Mental Youth
08-19-2008, 03:14 PM
HAHAHA
so very true and very frustrating.
I found it the worst on Sunday, i couldnt even read the board for about 24 hours or so

S_D
08-19-2008, 03:14 PM

Ruiz?

noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :mad:

THAT will be one of the worst trades that have gone down in TFC history if that is the case. Just watch.

Why would anyone take this piece of garbage if Razov as mentioned earlier was available?

Shaughno
08-19-2008, 03:15 PM
Hey, it happens. :lol: That was me the last few weeks!

Shaughno
08-19-2008, 03:16 PM
Ruiz?

noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :mad:

THAT will be one of the worst trades that have gone down in TFC history if that is the case. Just watch.

Why would anyone take this piece of garbage if Razov as mentioned earlier was available?

Unless I missing something, I don't see a trade mentioned. Just that Robert is to pack his bags. LA is trying to clear space, not add another ton of weight to it's already heavy salary.

Beach_Red
08-19-2008, 03:18 PM
Yeah, I'm in an obsteprous, pissy mood this week. The letter writers have been particularly ill-informed, albeit with good intentions.

Oh man, the letters writers worse than usual? You deserve a drink.

DigzTFC!
08-19-2008, 03:18 PM
Well before you get too excited Razov was mentioned at the beginning of the year in trade rumors and has since disappeared. We would have to give up something significant for Razov. Whereas, Ruiz we wouldn't and he's younger. I don't know what to think of Ruiz at all.

Pigfynn
08-19-2008, 03:20 PM
I fucking hate Ruiz! Only thing is I hate losing alot more.

Marco2K
How can a city like Colorado have a grass stadium plus 24 practice fields around the field.

DAMN

Ossington Mental Youth
Is Razov really free?
How come?
Id defo grab Razov over Ruiz, granted Razov has about 5 years on Ruiz...

jloome
08-19-2008, 03:25 PM
Razov isn't free, he's at Chivas last I heard and not going anywhere.

Ruiz is better than what we've got, which is basically Barrett, a 1 goal every 3-4 games striker. He's also a dick -- ruiz, not chad..

Robert is disappointing; he has so much talent but so many obvious emotional problems, and he has seemed frustrated to the point of quitting numerous times this season. I don't think putting Smith there is necessarily a great move, as the knock on him is that he doesn't have ball skills, which you need as a winger. Certainly looked like he knew what he was doing the other night, though.

Andy Todd would be a huge signing, even at his age, for this level of football. He's been really solid for most of the last five years (at Blackburn) and I wouldn't judge anything on Paul Jewell's decisions, as he's made some terrible ones over the last five or six years.

Pigfynn
08-19-2008, 03:26 PM
On the Fan a minute ago they said "MOJO says the sale of Mo Edu could lead to grass at BMO"

poppamidnight
08-19-2008, 03:29 PM
Question:

We all know the grass is good news, but, theoertically, wouldnt putting the Edu $ into stadium expansion this offseason bring more $ in sooner (also extra revenue to be able to pay for grass) than would say switchign to grass and hoping that brings in one or two new players next year????

(obviously both are high-priorities, but if it comes down to a question of stadium expansion or Grass for next season, personally, i'd put the stadium expansion as top priority...again for a garaneed financial return sooner)

DigzTFC!
08-19-2008, 03:30 PM
Razov was available AT THE BEGINNING OF THE SEASON because they had Eskandarian, Attiba Harris and Galindo. Razov is a big contract so they were shopping him (260k). However, everyone got hurt and he was in the starting lineup. I think he's coming off the bench now and he's hurt currently.

Andy Todd would be a huge signing. I like this more than Christanval (injuries)

ManUtd4ever
08-19-2008, 03:34 PM
http://canadianpress.google.com/article/ALeqM5hwJmjidLZ1XzniqSNomlkZRjiU7A

http://maps.google.com/intl/en_ALL/mapfiles/transparent.pnghttp://maps.google.com/intl/en_ALL/mapfiles/transparent.pnghttp://maps.google.com/intl/en_ALL/mapfiles/transparent.pnghttp://maps.google.com/intl/en_ALL/mapfiles/transparent.pnghttp://maps.google.com/intl/en_ALL/mapfiles/transparent.pnghttp://maps.google.com/intl/en_ALL/mapfiles/transparent.pnghttp://maps.google.com/intl/en_ALL/mapfiles/transparent.pnghttp://maps.google.com/intl/en_ALL/mapfiles/transparent.pnghttp://maps.google.com/intl/en_ALL/mapfiles/transparent.png
Money earned by selling Toronto FC midfielder could lead to new grass field

36 minutes ago
TORONTO — Maurice Edu is headed for greener pastures with Glasgow Rangers. But the U.S. international midfielder could leave a green legacy of his own in Toronto.
Mo Johnston, director of football for Toronto FC, said Tuesday he may try to use his club's share of Edu's US$5-million transfer fee to replace the FieldTurf at BMO Field with natural grass.
The sale, widely reported on both sides of the Atlantic, was finally confirmed by Toronto FC on Tuesday, pending the 22-year-old California native securing a work permit to play in Scotland. The delay in confirming the deal was due to MLS red tape.
One-third of the transfer fee goes to the league, which as a single entity owns the rights to all its players, and two-thirds to Toronto's coffers. Of that, $500,000 will go towards player allocation money - which can be spent over 18 months starting next year, used on salary or to buy a player - with the rest earmarked towards the club's soccer operations such as facilities and youth programs.
"We'll make a proposal to the (MLS) board in terms of can we put it towards a practice facility. Maybe a grass field, which I think is vital and important in moving forward. Then obviously the academy," Johnston told reporters.
If the club was to replace the stadium turf, it would need to build a nearby practice facility with turf to meet commitments to the city of Toronto, which provided the stadium land in exchange in part for a year-round facility that could be used by local residents. In winter, a bubble is put over the field to allow that.
The FieldTurf at BMO Field was state of the art when installed. But many players don't like playing on turf and it has turned off some from coming to Toronto.
Johnston drafted Edu first overall in the MLS SuperDraft and said while he will miss his talents, he could understand the midfielder following his dream of European football. He also could see the MLS side.
"It's a lot of money," he said. "You can't knock that back. You have to take it."
Edu will also benefit financially. His MLS salary was listed at US$157,500 this year and Johnston said he can look forward to that going up "probably seven or eight times."
"I don't think for him it's about the salary, it's about how far he can take his future," Johnston added. "It's a stepping stone going to Rangers. Can he make the (English) Premiership? It's now up to him."
Edu is the latest in a line of MLS stars to head overseas, following in the recent footsteps of goalkeeper Brad Guzan (Aston Villa, England), forward Jozy Alitdore (Villarreal, Spain) and midfielder-forward Freddy Adu (Benfica, Portugal).
"It happens in every business ... You can't hold these young kids back," Johnston said.
"The fans will see players come and go within MLS all the time. It happens in every team."
Still it was clear that the day's dealings were bittersweet for Johnston.
"I'm sad to see him go," he said. "When you have that sort of money sitting on the table, it's difficult to hold a young kid like that back.
"His future now is over there. We need to move on. I have to find the next one."
Johnston revealed that Rangers had been after Edu since last year, with manager Walter Smith rebuffed on an earlier offer. The Scottish side also got a chance to watch the midfielder during the Olympics.
"It's a huge club, it's going to be difficult for him," said Johnston, a Scottish native who played for both Rangers and Celtic. "It's how he adapts to the Scottish game, where they play him and how he adapts to that structure. I believe Walter bought three midfielder players in the last week or so.
"It's going to be difficult but the challenge is now up to him. I think it's a great story - drafted out of (the University of) Maryland, came on board , was rookie of the year (in 2007), broke into the national team and now he's been sold for $5 million. So if there's younger kids out there, they should keep following that dream."
Johnston says more changes are under way with another player leaving and one coming in. He declined to provide details, but said he is in the market for a player out of contract and for a player within MLS.
"We still have a lot of money in our salary cap to spend," he said.

Copyright © 2008 The Canadian Press. All rights reserved. http://canadianpress.google.com/hostednews/img/vertical-space.gif

Corpand
08-19-2008, 03:41 PM
Hey guys, have some bad (or good) news. Just got a quick update from my source who told me about Christanval. The guy did hold talks with Toronto FC two weeks ago (even flew here) but has flown off to France with no deal apparently done. Cant comment why it didnt happen but I can assure you that this is no nonsense.

Here's to hoping that we sign someone else, QUICK....

Don Julio
08-19-2008, 03:43 PM
I think Mo is peaking out of turn here, and I love him for it! This is the kind of article that will put pressure on the city/province/etc. to allow this to move ahead. You don't need 20,000 seats around a public use pitch!

I think this also might be the first sign that MLSE is going to fight the Argos with grass.

billyfly
08-19-2008, 03:47 PM
I think some people (myself included) misunderstood the first posting of this thread to mean grass for practice facility. It clearly says real grass for BMO according to this story about Mo's interview with the aditional news tidbit of maybe MLSE having to build another facility to fulfil the comuunity usage commitments.

DigzTFC!
08-19-2008, 03:49 PM
Hey guys, have some bad (or good) news. Just got a quick update from my source who told me about Christanval. The guy did hold talks with Toronto FC two weeks ago (even flew here) but has flown off to France with no deal apparently done. Cant comment why it didnt happen but I can assure you that this is no nonsense.

Thanks man, I was wondering what the update was. I bet the turf made an impact on the decision. Thus, probably why Mo and Anselmi are publicly stating they want grass long-term.

Ossington Mental Youth
08-19-2008, 03:52 PM
Interesting about Christanval, too bad but im willing to bet they have someone lined up if hes still speaking of signing someone on free transfer, spose Tellos could fall under that category... Nice to hear about the grass tho...

DigzTFC!
08-19-2008, 03:53 PM
Maurice Edu:

His British work permit hearing is this Friday. "I am a little worried, but I'm confident it will go through. There is always that little sense of concern."

So there might not be any free agent additions until next week

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/soccerinsider/

Landon Donovan on Carlos Ruiz

*Donovan, on returning to L.A. in time for Thursday night's game vs. Chicago: "I will be back, but whether I play, I would highly doubt it. You never know. My guess is Carlos [Ruiz] won't be back, but I don't know. (laughing) My guess is Carlos will be in Guatemala for a few days, if I know him correctly."

Great.....

Shaughno
08-19-2008, 03:58 PM
^^ That actually may be a good sign... meaning he's on his way out and figures he'll enjoy Guat, until the deal is done. Who knows though.

DigzTFC!
08-19-2008, 04:01 PM
From the V boards.

I know everyone hates Facebook as a legit source for player news but Fernando Aguiar has changed his status to show that he "is moving back to Toronto". I think it's for good. I know he was out of contract in Portugal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fernando_Aguiar

In 2006, he joined second tier side Gondomar. He has reportedly expressed an interest in returning to play in Toronto (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toronto). With the exanpsion of Major League Soccer (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_League_Soccer) to Canada, this may indeed happen.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x28c8w_fernando-aguiar-wwwscoutingteamcom_sport

Pigfynn
08-19-2008, 04:02 PM
wiki? ya I'm lazy!

Shaughno
08-19-2008, 04:04 PM
^^ You do know he's pushing 37 right? :lol:

Realistically what would we do with a late 30's defensive mid?

Pigfynn
08-19-2008, 04:05 PM
Uhhhh no thanks, WTF?

Shaughno
08-19-2008, 04:05 PM
wiki? ya I'm lazy!

Quick points. Played for the Blizzard when he was younger. Played for the CMNT. Played for a few different Portugeuse clubs most notably Benfica. 36 years old and a defensive mid.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fernando_Aguiar

neuf
08-19-2008, 04:06 PM
I think some people (myself included) misunderstood the first posting of this thread to mean grass for practice facility. It clearly says real grass for BMO according to this story about Mo's interview with the aditional news tidbit of maybe MLSE having to build another facility to fulfil the comuunity usage commitments.

Assuming that CP is interpreting his comments correctly.
I hope they are

Ossington Mental Youth
08-19-2008, 04:08 PM
Yuuuch.
Hope everyone is wrong about Fernando

Shaughno
08-19-2008, 04:08 PM
Definitely a solid player in his time, but he hasn't played for the CMNT in about 6 years... that should give you an idea of where he stands.

DigzTFC!
08-19-2008, 04:10 PM
Just posting what I saw....why do people think I'm an advocate of this guy?

Lets get this guy in the Academy system. He probably knows a thing or two about development playing in Portugal. Hell he could double as a scout for TFC

Ossington Mental Youth
08-19-2008, 04:14 PM
HAHAHA
i never thought you were an advocate, i just hope thats not the dude we are signing.

Shaughno
08-19-2008, 04:14 PM
^^ I would have no problems with that! Just keep him out of our XI :lol:

jimiv
08-19-2008, 04:22 PM
believe it when I see it.

Nuvinho
08-19-2008, 04:40 PM
WE HAVE A NEW PLAYER, AS PER MOJO ON FAN 590

I don't know who tho.

DigzTFC!
08-19-2008, 04:41 PM
Adding them within the next 3 hours. Also, he said he wanted a defender. So, its not a defender that has been added. Its either a midfielder or a forward.

Shaughno
08-19-2008, 04:44 PM
Hmm... Tello or Ruiz?

Ossington Mental Youth
Who wants to take bets that its Tello?

kitchener-TFC
Keep Robert!

Ossington Mental Youth
08-19-2008, 04:47 PM
Keep Robert!

Im sure we will, from what ive read Tello is a CM

Nuvinho
08-19-2008, 04:47 PM
score blog

http://www.thescore.ca/blogs/footy/index.asp?name=footy/2008/08/au_revoir_laure.html

says Robert could be the guy, and Mo likes Ruiz

Ossington Mental Youth
08-19-2008, 04:48 PM
obviously pretty excited about this

Shaughno
08-19-2008, 04:49 PM
As per Score blog posted above:

Lets take the player leaving the club first: Anyone who has bought a Laurent Robert TFC jersey might want to get out your sharpie right now. I suppose the player could be Jarrod Smith but there seems no need for that right now. Mo never talks about fringe players when it comes to leaving the club in a significant manner and Robert's performances over the last few weeks have showed to me that his head has been in France for sometime and I think he's on his way there right now.
Player coming in: This one is Paul McVeigh, a 30-year-old striker who has links to John Carver's former club Luton Town. He has played the bulk of his career at Norwich City. He trained with the team today and is on trial.
Quality player within the MLS: This is Carlos Ruiz - Mo has been a fan of this guy for a long time and I know he is on his radar. Time will tell if he can pull the trigger.

Ossington Mental Youth
08-19-2008, 04:50 PM
Wow, nuts, maybe Robert really is gone... cant say i approve... Interesting aobut Mc Veigh and Ruiz tho

Ossington Mental Youth
08-19-2008, 04:51 PM
not really all that psyched on Mc Veigh, would defo take Ruiz over Mc Veigh even tho he is a an expensive headcase

Inswingingwingman
08-19-2008, 04:51 PM
cool traded Edu for grass...

Ossington Mental Youth
08-19-2008, 04:52 PM
25 games and no goals as a striker?
Nuh uh
Granted I trust Mo, so do the right thing Mo

Shaughno
Oss, I think the way it looks to me.

McVeigh is Dichio's replacement. I think Dichio is officially doneski.

Ruiz = our supposed scoring problems solver.

Ossington Mental Youth
Looking at all these strikers, does that mean that Dichio is done?
Also its starting to look as if JoSmith really is Roberts replacement...

Shaughno
08-19-2008, 04:53 PM
Oss, see my comment above. :lol:

Ossington Mental Youth
Oss, I think the way it looks to me.

McVeigh is Dichio's replacement. I think Dichio is officially doneski.

Ruiz = our supposed scoring problems solver.

HAHAHA
i literally posted right after this.
Great minds think alike

Ossington Mental Youth
HAHA yet again

ManUtd4ever
08-19-2008, 04:54 PM
cool traded Edu for grass...

lol! The big ego might actually prove to be worth all those poor performances after all...

DigzTFC!
08-19-2008, 04:55 PM
Man, when you really dig into what TFC does on a regular basis....they do a lot of things we don't talk about.

Taylor Lord (AS Monaco U18) and Joe Rini (Ontario player) were in the last reserve game. Tones of players train with TFC. Branko Majstrovic has been guest twice.

GeorgeB
08-19-2008, 04:55 PM
i think Johann Smith impressed enough on sunday beating guys down the left side (something Robert hasnt done in since Newcastle) and made Robert surplus.

Ossington Mental Youth
08-19-2008, 04:56 PM
Man, when you really dig into what TFC does on a regular basis....they do a lot of things we don't talk about.

Taylor Lord (AS Monaco U18) and Joe Rini (Ontario player) were in the last reserve game. Tones of players train with TFC. Branko Majstrovic has been guest twice.

Where ya getting those from?
I wanna dig too

Shaughno
08-19-2008, 04:57 PM

Yet apparently MoJo does nothing... ever. :lol: People really have no clue what goes on behind the scenes. It's funny how if there's no mention in the paper, people freak out like nothing is happening. Yet, so much is happening behind the scenes like contacting players, scouting, trials, etc.

Ossington Mental Youth
08-19-2008, 04:58 PM
Yet apparently MoJo does nothing... ever. :lol: People really have no clue what goes on behind the scenes. It's funny how if there's no mention in the paper, people freak out like nothing is happening. Yet, so much is happening behind the scenes like contacting players, scouting, trials, etc.

Yep, so quick to jump people are, its ridiculous

DigzTFC!
08-19-2008, 04:59 PM
Anywho, McVeigh? Don't know anything about this guy at all. Mo is really becoming harder to predict that shifty bastard.

ManUtd4ever
08-19-2008, 05:00 PM

Agreed. At this point, it's become blatantly obvious even to the casual observer that the Godforesaken fieldturf has hindered MoJo's ability to improve the roster...

Shaughno
Anywho, McVeigh? Don't know anything about this guy at all. Mo is really becoming harder to predict that shifty bastard.

Norwich connection I would say. :lol:

Nuvinho
C'mon announce the player, I have to update my FIFA 08 team........hahahaha!!!

Ehsan
lets hope Ruiz brings with him some of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wc-mzkX71hg

MisterMacphisto
08-19-2008, 05:02 PM
I'd be glad to see Robert gone basednon his performance the last several weeks, especially on Sunday. Up smith looked impressive to
Me. If anything more entertaining.

Nuvinho
08-19-2008, 05:03 PM
Robert I think would of performed (if he is really gone) with Smith pushing for a starting position.

The good thing, now Guevara can take all the FKs.

Artur3575
08-19-2008, 05:06 PM
well it is getting interesting, with possible signing of Paul McVeigh and Ruiz thats two strikers along with Barett what would be the starting 11?

King Jeff
08-19-2008, 05:09 PM
*old news, apparently*

Shaughno
08-19-2008, 05:10 PM
Two strikers, most likely Barrett and McVeigh would have to fight for their position. Ruiz would be your guarantee I would assume anyway.

Nuvinho
08-19-2008, 05:17 PM
Robert is officially gone!!!!

Shaughno
08-19-2008, 05:19 PM
Johann better step it up and show Robert what he should have been doing all along!

Wooster_TFC
08-19-2008, 05:20 PM
Robert is officially gone!!!!
'
http://web.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20080819&content_id=181507&vkey=pr_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280

Lucky Strike
08-19-2008, 05:24 PM
'
http://web.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20080819&content_id=181507&vkey=pr_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280

Not disappointed, not surprised, was initially excited about him (more than any other signing) but I was left hanging...

I guess Mo lied when he said Jo. Smith was brought to compete with Robert: he was signed to replace him! We just saved 330 K minus Jo. Smith's salary. The team is flush with cash, now let's do something with it!

Shaughno
08-19-2008, 05:25 PM
Not entirely true, we only waive his remaining salary.

Jack
08-19-2008, 05:29 PM
Good. It sends the message that if you don't try, you're out, no matter who you are.

DigzTFC!
08-19-2008, 05:36 PM
Okay, this is great that we're clearing out some older under-performing players. We're changing the culture of club for the better. Young, talented and hardworking instead of old, overpaid and overrated. This is how you build a team and I think its great TFC has learned their lesson so quickly. However, I have to say the guys they're talking about don't excite me at all.

I know scouting via youtube is wrong, but I couldn't find shit of McViegh. Startling news for someone who plays in england and is a striker

Artur3575
08-19-2008, 05:41 PM
well when i saw robert play first few games i said he is the best that happen to TFC but he did not perform at the time of signing alot of people said that will happen as per time at benfica to bad it did not work out

ben_vw
08-19-2008, 06:21 PM
anyone wanna buy a laurent robert jersey?

Draracle
08-19-2008, 06:23 PM
Room for DeRo?

Oh please.

jloome
08-19-2008, 06:23 PM
Okay, this is great that we're clearing out some older under-performing players. We're changing the culture of club for the better. Young, talented and hardworking instead of old, overpaid and overrated. This is how you build a team and I think its great TFC has learned their lesson so quickly. However, I have to say the guys they're talking about don't excite me at all.

I know scouting via youtube is wrong, but I couldn't find shit of McViegh. Startling news for someone who plays in england and is a striker

That's because he has no highlights. Very poor journeyman forward, can't see him making this or any other MLS team.

Ossington Mental Youth
08-19-2008, 06:24 PM
Still no news as to who we've signed right?

jwfm1985
08-19-2008, 06:25 PM
That's because he has no highlights. Very poor journeyman forward, can't see him making this or any other MLS team.

Just posted the link in a new thread, but Ives is reporting we signed Ruiz

DigzTFC!
08-19-2008, 06:26 PM
We won't know until tomorrow. It could be a roster spot complication with Edu or because MLS HQ is closed for the day

jwfm1985
08-19-2008, 06:27 PM
...Also, "for a bargain price"... I think this is a good move. Most people jumped on Guevara and look how he turned out. Maybe the fresh start will get Ruiz going

DigzTFC!
08-19-2008, 06:30 PM
Sweet titty fucking christ this disturbs me....Ruiz?!!

King Tut
08-19-2008, 06:30 PM
Fuck Mo Johnston!

No Mo' Fucking Mo'
No Mo' Fucking Mo'
No Mo' Fucking Mo'
Mo's A Fucking Douchebag!

That's one of many Anti-Mo Johnston chants that will be ringing out of 127 at the next home game!

We've heard so many stories (everything from arrogance, to drugs, trying to pick up a man's wife in Hamilton right infront of the husband, etc) about this cunt over the weekend and it's time to step up as supporters and drive this bitch out of Canada!

Fuck Mo Johnston!!!!

Beach_Red
08-19-2008, 06:33 PM
I guess Mo lied when he said Jo. Smith was brought to compete with Robert: he was signed to replace him!

Or maybe Robert decided he didn't want to compete with someone for a starting position in the MLS. He was never too happy here.

Draracle
08-19-2008, 06:36 PM
Fuck Mo Johnston!

No Mo' Fucking Mo'
No Mo' Fucking Mo'
No Mo' Fucking Mo'

That's one of many Anti-Mo Johnston chants that will be ringing out of 127 at the next home game!

We've heard so many stories (everything from arrogance, to drugs, trying to pick up a man's wife in Hamilton right infront of the husband, etc) about this cunt over the weekend and it's time to step up as supporters and drive this bitch out of Canada!

Fuck Mo Johnston!!!!

he is going to plead our case for real grass, paid for with the Edu money. So I wouldn't show him the door just yet.

CanuckPete
08-19-2008, 06:59 PM
Fuck Mo Johnston!

No Mo' Fucking Mo'
No Mo' Fucking Mo'
No Mo' Fucking Mo'

Fuck Mo Johnston!!!!

Well, if you heard these things over the weekend, they MUST be true.

Chevy
08-19-2008, 07:32 PM
Fuck Mo Johnston!

No Mo' Fucking Mo'
No Mo' Fucking Mo'
No Mo' Fucking Mo'

Fuck Mo Johnston!!!!

Do you have ANY proof of this crap?

I'm sure Mo has a lawyer to go along with that drug problem so be careful....

Ossington Mental Youth
08-19-2008, 07:40 PM
glad to see this thread went retarded all of a sudden

Corpand
08-19-2008, 07:46 PM
shit, cant believe Robert is gone.........

UltraSuperMegaMo
08-19-2008, 07:54 PM
I don’t know why everyone thinks he displayed so little effort? Seemed to do as much running and tracking back as the next player from my point of view.

LucaGol
08-19-2008, 08:35 PM
Fuck Mo Johnston!

No Mo' Fucking Mo'
No Mo' Fucking Mo'
No Mo' Fucking Mo'

Fuck Mo Johnston!!!!

Welcome to professional football.....

...where do live guy...under a rock.....if you knew have the stuff some of these people get mixed up you'd probably never watch soccer ever again.

tlear
08-19-2008, 09:56 PM
Robert gone, damn did not see this coming..

McVeigh stats look terrible 25 appearances fo Lutton and 0 goals???

Experienced defender would be nice at this point

ua-kozak_TFC
08-19-2008, 11:06 PM
...Also, "for a bargain price"... I think this is a good move. Most people jumped on Guevara and look how he turned out. Maybe the fresh start will get Ruiz going
I donno about you but i don;t like one bit how did guevara turn out... he;s far from being a play maker.. he absent from the game most of the time and when he appears it is usually not for long and the ball get stripped away... I really would not like him to turn out as guevara did..

I_AM_CANADIAN
08-19-2008, 11:11 PM
*snort*

A quality player who's available in MLS?? Unless it's Cooper, Blanco, Becks, DeRo or Shalrie Joseph, it's not worth Robert and Edu the other way.

If it's Carlos Ruiz, Mo should be fired tomorrow.

H Bomb
08-19-2008, 11:13 PM
*snort*

A quality player who's available in MLS?? Unless it's Cooper, Blanco, Becks, DeRo or Shalrie Joseph, it's not worth Robert and Edu the other way.

If it's Carlos Ruiz, Mo should be fired tomorrow.

It is Carlos Ruiz dude.

I_AM_CANADIAN
08-19-2008, 11:21 PM
Well, that's not official... But still, if it does end up being Ruiz, the last thing we need is another lazy douche who's not gonna run after the ball when it's more than three feet away from him.

Inswingingwingman
08-20-2008, 05:28 AM
Grass gives me a boner.

Give BMO a Bonuer too by putting in grass. .

I mean. . Grass

Well Said. I think the club said to Edu sod off for sod.

Tintin
08-20-2008, 06:34 AM
Stop panicking people. Mo is not done dealing. Essentially it is Robert for Ruiz, wich I like. Mo still has the room and the allocation money from the Edu deal to upgrade the mid or the D. I think Brennan shoulb play Mid wing and we should get a Central D. Then I woul like our team:

Sutton

Wynn
Marshall
NEW D
Velez

Brennan
Robinson
Guevara
Ricketts

Barrett
Ruiz

Stouffville_RPB
08-20-2008, 07:05 AM
I'm not a fan of Ruiz but there is nothing I can do about it now. Hopefully he and Guevara click. Also love the dropping of Robert. Ever since I noticed he doesn't even try to use his right foot I haven't been a fan. He really can't play both ways and can't be effective for a full 90. He couldn't even get playing time last year when he was at Derby County.
With everything that has happened the last few days I think we will see alot more goals. We can now attack from the flanks, with Ricketts, Wynne, Johann Smith and Brennan, or up the middle with Guevara, Chad and Ruiz. Prior to these moves most of our attaks came up the sides with crosses in the middle, very predictable. We now have options.