PDA

View Full Version : Mo says new signing on way

Pages : 1 [2]

maninb
08-20-2008, 07:15 AM
I'm no big fan of Ruiz who is a dirty, diving little pr*ck..but he is one of the best headers of the ball I've seen in a long while...If he starts putting in some goals and stays on his feet then and only then will I welcome him to TFC!

Shaughno
08-20-2008, 07:15 AM
*snort*

A quality player who's available in MLS?? Unless it's Cooper, Blanco, Becks, DeRo or Shalrie Joseph, it's not worth Robert and Edu the other way.

If it's Carlos Ruiz, Mo should be fired tomorrow.

Look at it this way. Robert leaves, Ruiz replaces him and a discounted salary at that. Basically a straight swap.

Ruiz may be a cunt, but he's not lazy. Not like Cunny lazy. The guy will create a ton of problems for defenders. He's got a good attacking footballers mind and he likes to take shots.

Robert wasn't up to some people's standards, but personally I think it was mostly frustration on his part. He didn't seem to be on the same wave length as Guevara and the lack of dedicated striker showed in the way he adapted his game as well.

BTW, Wiki already has Ruiz listed as a TFC player. Not that that has any merit.. but you know.

Shaughno
08-20-2008, 07:18 AM
I'm no big fan of Ruiz who is a dirty, diving little pr*ck..but he is one of the best headers of the ball I've seen in a long while...If he starts putting in some goals and stays on his feet then and only then will I welcome him to TFC!

Exactly!

Have a watch of the USA vs Guatemala game for tonight when you get a chance. You'll see how much of a threat this guy can be.

Batman
08-20-2008, 07:20 AM
Stop panicking people. Mo is not done dealing. Essentially it is Robert for Ruiz, wich I like. Mo still has the room and the allocation money from the Edu deal to upgrade the mid or the D. I think Brennan shoulb play Mid wing and we should get a Central D. Then I woul like our team:

Sutton

Wynn
Marshall
NEW D
Velez

Brennan
Robinson
Guevara
Ricketts

Barrett
Ruiz

That's starting to look like a pretty solid lineup.

Wagner
08-20-2008, 07:20 AM
TSN is reporting that Ruiz is definitely on his way.
http://tsn.ca/soccer/story/?id=246968

Shaughno
08-20-2008, 07:23 AM
As long as he doesn't stay in Guatemala for a week like Landycunt was saying. :lol:

Wagner
08-20-2008, 07:24 AM
Fuck Mo Johnston!

No Mo' Fucking Mo'
No Mo' Fucking Mo'
No Mo' Fucking Mo'
Mo's A Fucking Douchebag!

Fuck Mo Johnston!!!!

Slow Down Turbo.
MoJo is doing his best.
He's publicly said he'll try to get real grass.
He's brought in some good players.

Who really cares if any of those rumours are true about his personal life.
I'll only judge Mo by the product on the field.
So far, he's proven to be a shrewd judge of talent. (Edu, James, Wynne...)

Tintin
08-20-2008, 07:27 AM
That's starting to look like a pretty solid lineup.

Agreed but I am still worried about the D. I hope they sign that French guy they talked about. I would like Tello as well for mid depth.

Shaughno
08-20-2008, 07:35 AM
Agreed but I am still worried about the D. I hope they sign that French guy they talked about. I would like Tello as well for mid depth.

I thought someone said yesterday that Christenavel already went home after they discussed a contract? Meaning he's gone.

Ossington Mental Youth
08-20-2008, 07:37 AM
Dont forget its been speculated that Andy Todd is coming

Ossington Mental Youth
08-20-2008, 07:38 AM
PS TinTin, Brennan will stay in defence its JoSmith thatll play left wing

Tintin
08-20-2008, 07:39 AM
I thought someone said yesterday that Christenavel already went home after they discussed a contract? Meaning he's gone.

really. That's not good. I was hoping for him. It's too bad Tebily left because I think he could have been a good one for us.

Tintin
08-20-2008, 07:40 AM
PS TinTin, Brennan will stay in defence its JoSmith thatll play left wing

I know but I disagree. brennan would be better at HIS NATURAL POSITION.

Tintin
08-20-2008, 07:42 AM
Dont forget its been speculated that Andy Todd is coming

There is 2 Andy Todd. Is it the guy from Derby or the other one that I think plays in league 1 or 2?

ua-kozak_TFC
08-20-2008, 08:01 AM
Slow Down Turbo.
MoJo is doing his best.
He's publicly said he'll try to get real grass.
He's brought in some good players.

Who really cares if any of those rumours are true about his personal life.
I'll only judge Mo by the product on the field.
So far, he's proven to be a shrewd judge of talent. (Edu, James, Wynne...)
hahaha not only i dissagree with you on some players but also if you look at it in the # of players we've had on our roster in the past 2 years which is probably around 70 or whatever the number is... anyone with 2 eyes and a bit of a brain would pick out more good players than mo has just BY CHANCE ALONE....

Daveisonfire
08-20-2008, 08:08 AM

The thing I'm worried about though, is that the majority of our well placed crosses were from Robert lol

Ossington Mental Youth
08-20-2008, 08:11 AM
There is 2 Andy Todd. Is it the guy from Derby or the other one that I think plays in league 1 or 2?

Derby and they wont be playing Brennan on the wing unless its out of necessity, especially now that we signed JoSmith

Shaughno
08-20-2008, 08:19 AM
Derby and they wont be playing Brennan on the wing unless its out of necessity, especially now that we signed JoSmith

Exactly. Also, I'm pretty sure Brennan said last year that he felt more comfortable in the back line at this point in his career.

brad
08-20-2008, 08:26 AM

Todd could be the signing of the yeah, IMHO.

JonO
08-20-2008, 08:29 AM
Exactly. Also, I'm pretty sure Brennan said last year that he felt more comfortable in the back line at this point in his career.
Exactly - everyone calling for Brennan to be moved to mid wonder where he wants to play?

Nuvinho
08-20-2008, 08:32 AM
I am hoping the lineup for Saturday is this:

--------------------------Sutton-------------------------------

Wynne---------Velez-----------James(Marshall)----------Brennan

--------------------------Robinson-----------------------------

Ricketts------------------------------------------------Jo Smith

--------------------------Guevara------------------------------

---------------Ruiz------------------Barrett--------------------

I_AM_CANADIAN
08-20-2008, 08:39 AM
Exactly!

Have a watch of the USA vs Guatemala game for tonight when you get a chance. You'll see how much of a threat this guy can be.
What I'm worried about is that he won't rediscover that form he had before. He's not been playing well at all the last two seasons if I recall correctly.

And to be honest, I'm just disappointed with the way things have gone transfer-wise in the last couple months. Mo did extremely well to bring in Guevara, Ricketts, etc. at the beginning of the year, but I've been waiting so long for him to bring in a top class striker, it's very disappointing to lose two very good midfielders and then only have Carlos Ruiz to show for it. Ruiz is a good player, but not as good as what I'd hoped we could bring in. It seemed like every week we had someone "coming in in the next 48 hours", and all we get is a couple Conference-calibre players and now Ruiz, who's a big improvement over Cunningham and is a dangerous striker, but it's still just very disappointing. The "huge signing" we all expected and were promised nearly every week never materialized.

Shaughno
08-20-2008, 08:48 AM
...and it's all Mo's fault. Dude, he tried and tried and tried to sign a big name and they kept turning down the contracts. I wonder why?

The way I look at it is, Robert for Ruiz and Edu for Grass. Short term move in Ruiz for instant help up front. Long term move in Edu in allowing us to sign players like some of the previous ones that have been linked with us but never materialized.

People need to stop with the negativity for a second and look at the actual outcome. We're in year two, hopefully replacing the turf with grass. We have an abundance of talent in our starting XI, they just need to work together properly. To be honest, going into the season I was hoping for playoffs but not expecting. We have the team to do it, but I'm telling you now I still won't be upset if we don't. Why? Serious improvements from last year. Imagine what a proper training camp with these players will do to this team!

koryo
08-20-2008, 08:51 AM
The way I look at it is, Robert for Ruiz and Edu for Grass.

I'd been one of Robert's staunchest supporters throughout the season, but frankly I've given up on him too. His head was already back in France. Que cera cera.

As for Edu, hell, if the team throws a wad of his transfer fee towards a dedicated practice facility with real grass you might see higher profile players not minding the move here so much.

Shaughno
08-20-2008, 08:55 AM
I'd been one of Robert's staunchest supporters throughout the season, but frankly I'd given up on him too. His head was already back in France. Que cera cera.

As for Edu, hell, if the team throws a wad of his transfer fee towards a dedicated practice facility with real grass you might see higher profile players not minding the move here so much.

Two key points here to consider.

Robert wasn't playing with his heart. He looked frustrated and careless at times. He was still one of our better players on the pitch, but he wasn't performing to the standards Carver/Mo had set for him. So, GTFO we'll replace you with someone who will. IMO that's two positives from one player getting waived.

The second point is the key in the Edu deal. Everyone has been complaining about "Mo's inability to sign players" yet we've been linked with several high profile players who have declined to sign a contract because of the turf. If we do indeed get grass, then selling Edu will be the best business deal that Toronto FC has ever done, and probably will do, for quite some time.

Cobblers
08-20-2008, 08:58 AM
Shaughno's hit the head on the nail. These guys haven't had a chance to gel all season with all the injuries and constant position changes...we are improving, just not very fast.

koryo
08-20-2008, 09:02 AM
Two key points here to consider.

Robert wasn't playing with his heart. He looked frustrated and careless at times. He was still one of our better players on the pitch, but he wasn't performing to the standards Carver/Mo had set for him. So, GTFO we'll replace you with someone who will. IMO that's two positives from one player getting waived.

The second point is the key in the Edu deal. Everyone has been complaining about "Mo's inability to sign players" yet we've been linked with several high profile players who have declined to sign a contract because of the turf. If we do indeed get grass, then selling Edu will be the best business deal that Toronto FC has ever done, and probably will do, for quite some time.

To your first: the fact that he wasn't performing was a symptom of the fact that he refused to adjust his game to better suit the players around him. He seemed content to hold to his status quo, knowing full well it would come to naught.

Second: Edu's transfer is, at this moment, the best business deal TFC has ever done. He was riding the coat tails of a handful of solid games last year . But frankly, the back-end of last year and all this season I didn't rate him. I think he started to believe everything that was being written about him in the press.

You can argue that the team has rid itself of two of its more selfish players. From a unity and togetherness standpoint, that can't be a bad thing.

Whether we have enough quality waiting in the wings or not is, at this moment, conjecture. The team has taken a leap of faith with these moves. Everyone one of us in the stands needs to take that leap now too.

Toronto_Bhoy
08-20-2008, 09:55 AM
^^Totally agree Koryo…good post.

I'm impressed with the fact that Mo has the balls to pull the trigger on both these guys…this sends a message to others…buck up or your next.

Shaughno
08-20-2008, 09:56 AM

I'm impressed with the fact that Mo has the balls to pull the trigger on both these guys…this sends a message to others…buck up or your next.

Exactly. I think if anything, this shows that Mo won't just accept mediocrity from his players. This is a very good thing IMO.

koryo
08-20-2008, 09:58 AM

You and Shaugno put it more succinctly that I ever could. Yeah, that's where it nets out.

William
08-20-2008, 11:26 AM
Johnson signed with Major League Soccer (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_League_Soccer) on August 16th, 2008. Although his rights are still owned Chicago Fire (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago_Fire), they will likely be traded.:canada:

Shaughno
08-20-2008, 11:30 AM
^^ Wiki info... nothing new, unless you know something we don't???

bangersandmash
08-20-2008, 11:43 AM

I look at every player/position in Nuvinho's lineup and those towards the back are able defenders, those at the front are able attackers and those in the middle look strong moving up the sides, tracking back and distributing the ball. This looks like a team to me. If these guys gel -- especially the mids and forwards -- then this team should be able to make an impression. I'm excited. Even with our next game being against New Ingerland (hate-em all you want, they play good football). I'm looking forward to seeing this team on Saturday.

Ossington Mental Youth
08-20-2008, 11:49 AM
Line up looks right (unless we sign Tello and play him in the mid instead of playing barrett up front). Gotta say im pretty excited too, curious to see what happens with Ruiz

DigzTFC!
08-20-2008, 11:50 AM
It finally looks like we have a balanced lineup, except for our CB. But we all know our dreams could be shattered within a game or two

invictusTFC
08-20-2008, 12:41 PM
It finally looks like we have a balanced lineup, except for our CB. But we all know our dreams could be shattered within a game or two

Too much re-shuffling at this stage of the season doesn't exactly foster team chemistry. I'm affraid NER will tear us apart unless our best players play like our best players.

ManUtd4ever
08-20-2008, 01:32 PM

At the risk of sounding overly optimistic, this looks like a playoff calibre lineup to me if everyone puts in the effort on the pitch...

jloome
08-20-2008, 01:39 PM
At the risk of sounding overly optimistic, this looks like a playoff calibre lineup to me if everyone puts in the effort on the pitch...

No, it doesn't.

A playoff-calibre lineup in this league requires bench depth, and requires a solid defence. Our defence CAN be solid, as evidenced at home, but often isn't, as evidenced away. If that inconsistency sticks, it won't matter how good our mid and forwards are, because we'll keep giving up a couple of stupid ones every game.

Having said that, it's still probably the best lineup we'll have fielded in quite some time.

ManUtd4ever
08-20-2008, 01:43 PM
No, it doesn't.

A playoff-calibre lineup in this league requires bench depth, and requires a solid defence. Our defence CAN be solid, as evidenced at home, but often isn't, as evidenced away. If that inconsistency sticks, it won't matter how good our mid and forwards are, because we'll keep giving up a couple of stupid ones every game.

Having said that, it's still probably the best lineup we'll have fielded in quite some time.

Yes, consistency is definitely the key...

Beach_Red
08-20-2008, 02:22 PM
Yes, consistency is definitely the key...

Well, strange things can happen in playoff runs. I know most people here prefer a single table and the league title counting for the most, but I'm new to soccer after 40+ years of following North American sports, so I'm still excited about a playoff run.

There are ten games left in the season and a bunch of teams around the same amount of points. We have a lot of young players who are still getting better and, I hope, a good attitude on the team.

The rest of this season looks a lot more interesting today than it did a week ago.

TFCREDNWHITE
08-20-2008, 02:30 PM
Line up looks right (unless we sign Tello and play him in the mid instead of playing barrett up front). Gotta say im pretty excited too, curious to see what happens with Ruiz

OssMenYth -- I think Tello would be a depth player, someone who would take over Guevara's starting role when he's gone...or come into the game as a sub if needed. Carver is looking to go with a 4-4-2. So Tello would not replace Barrett in the starting lineup... What are your thoughts??

JLoome -- Wanna chime in on this thought???

DigzTFC!
08-20-2008, 02:35 PM
Tello is a centrocampista by all reports and I doubt with his tiny frame (5"10 150Lb, I think) he would be a defensive midfielder. A position which is filled by Robinson and some-what serviceable and cheap Harmse. I think your assertion of him being a bench player to replace Guevara when needed is correct. What I find a little disheartening is that Will Johnson could fill this role, but then again, Will Johnson didn't come from the Real Madrid youth system either. Tello could be the long term successor for Amado.

Wooster_TFC
08-20-2008, 03:03 PM
...and it's all Mo's fault. Dude, he tried and tried and tried to sign a big name and they kept turning down the contracts. I wonder why?

The way I look at it is, Robert for Ruiz and Edu for Grass. Short term move in Ruiz for instant help up front. Long term move in Edu in allowing us to sign players like some of the previous ones that have been linked with us but never materialized.

People need to stop with the negativity for a second and look at the actual outcome. We're in year two, hopefully replacing the turf with grass. We have an abundance of talent in our starting XI, they just need to work together properly. To be honest, going into the season I was hoping for playoffs but not expecting. We have the team to do it, but I'm telling you now I still won't be upset if we don't. Why? Serious improvements from last year. Imagine what a proper training camp with these players will do to this team!

Robert for Ruiz

Edu for Grass + ? (if it's just grass I'm still happy, if it ends up being Grass + Todd + whatever they can use the 500k on next year, I'll be ecstatic).

jloome
08-20-2008, 03:19 PM
That's probably why they're considering him; a good central attacker can play in the hole behind a loan striker or fill in as a primarily-offensive central midfielder. Nothing to suggest he's ever played wide before, but attackers coming out of latin countries always seem to put the emphasis on technique and ball control (compared to the bald-faced tenacity of players out of England and Germany), so maybe in a pinch he can play wide, too.

I doubt they'd start him over Barrett, but give it some time; Barrett's record is onyl to score once every four games (or at about 150% slower a rate than Cunningham), so if he doesn't start coming into his talent and finishing, maybe we'll end up back on a 4-5-1.

Either way, another skilled ballhandler who can steer clear of defenders can't hurt; we've seen with Guevara away how lacking we are at playmaker.

Do we still have an international slot for him? I'd hate to think it come down to Tello vs. Paul McVeigh for a last slot, as we know nothing about the former (other than he mostly played for Levante's reserve team, which is never a greaet sign) and the latter is just awful.

I'm not sure depth counts as such if it isn't any good to you in a game situation. That's just bodies, not depth.

OssMenYth -- I think Tello would be a depth player, someone who would take over Guevara's starting role when he's gone...or come into the game as a sub if needed. Carver is looking to go with a 4-4-2. So Tello would not replace Barrett in the starting lineup... What are your thoughts??

JLoome -- Wanna chime in on this thought???

DigzTFC!
08-20-2008, 03:26 PM
Just as a heads up, Ruiz has his green card so he would take Edu position on the roster chart leaving Robert's spot open

Ossington Mental Youth
08-20-2008, 04:03 PM
I saw him as a DM in our 4-5-1 (or if we need to get into semantics, 4-2-3-1 or 4-4-2 with Guevara as the with holding striker) but i think you guys are right, we prob will use him as a sub for Robinson/Guevara and field two strikers. To be honest i did prefer the 4-5-1 tho

ricciboy
08-23-2008, 01:27 AM
that is going to be so cool

ricciboy
08-29-2008, 09:04 PM
Make the proposal to the board to make BMO a grass pitch and make Lamport the artificial turf all-year facility!

But glad to hear a signing is on the way...although at this point, all we really have avaiable to us are cast-offs which really isn't that encouraging.

its already happening