PDA

View Full Version : Ben Knight - Canada/Jamaica, the Other Game

nobodybeatsthewiz
08-19-2008, 09:50 AM
Canada/Jamaica – the other game

This is going to be a challenging match. A lot of preparation and many years of dreams are on the line.
Jamaica is going to be … tough. The drums, the songs, the ecstasy. They come in green and yellow, black and red, bringing the pride and passion of an exultant people from a small island in a hurricane zone. Their culture is rich – so rich.
They speak with pride and love when they call reggae music legend Bob Marley their own. They neatly embody the mysterious mix of fight and freedom he so generously – and brilliantly – turned loose on the world.
The last time Jamaica hit Toronto for a soccer game, they utterly conquered Varsity Stadium. The corner of Bloor and Devonshire, usually a sleepy, windswept afterthought at the far north end of the University of Toronto campus, became a giddy one-day Caribbean jump-up jamboree. The Canadians, loyal in their red scarves but so outnumbered – so helplessly dominated – simply had no answer.
Home field was ringingly lost that day. It's time to get it back.
BMO Field didn't exist then. There was no division-one pro side in town for Canada fans to rally around. But as Toronto FC fans have loudly and consistently proved these last 17 months or so, this is not your father's Toronto.
We all got one warm-up shot a year ago. Costa Rica wandered in for a 1-1 draw on a chilly fall evening.
The park was only half full. The Costa Ricans sang all night. The turf, the fans, this amazing multi-cultural wonder of a town … all got ripped for it.

Meet the challenge, and exceed it. Be ye Voyaguer, U-Sector, Red Patch, North End Elite, Red Brigade, Ultra 114, South Side Jumper, Tribal Rhythm Nation, this is show time. This is go time.
The players are listening. Yeah, it was all off-the-record at practice yesterday, but they clearly want loud, pounding, thumping, percussive support.

Read more (http://www.reportonbusiness.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080819.WBsoccerblog20080819093038/WBStory/WBsoccerblog)

denime
08-19-2008, 09:59 AM
This one is MUST READ article,WOW

I'm so pump already that's not healthy anymore.

Rawkus_420
08-19-2008, 10:01 AM
Yah Im stoked for this game , we got the first row in 111, first 4 seats, streamers??

nobodybeatsthewiz
08-19-2008, 10:02 AM
thanks for the edit, denime ;)

TFC_Junky
08-19-2008, 10:03 AM
^^^ I'm right behind you, Row 2. Got lucky with the ticket pick up, my season seats are 111 row 2!! This is gonna be mental!

denime
08-19-2008, 10:04 AM
Just doing my job,and enjoying it too !!

TFC_Junky
08-19-2008, 10:13 AM
according to the weather network, tomorrow is to be sunny and 23. Perfect for a game!

Loyal
08-19-2008, 11:16 AM
Send Ben a "thank you"! He has been in our corner all year, including his great "Argo" piece last week.

Technorgasm
08-19-2008, 11:33 AM
Doe sanyone feel just a little sorry for not going to the CMNT games in the past?

I have only been to 2 games my entire life. . Its great that we have a professional team now, but all those years spent watchin footy on teh tele. . and I coul dhave been supporting my country intheir chnaces for international play.

I will make up for all those missed chances TOMORROW night!

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
08-19-2008, 11:38 AM
Doe sanyone feel just a little sorry for not going to the CMNT games in the past?

I have only been to 2 games my entire life. . Its great that we have a professional team now, but all those years spent watchin footy on teh tele. . and I coul dhave been supporting my country intheir chnaces for international play.

:canada: QFT!

Eastend
08-19-2008, 12:53 PM
great read....I was so pumped for this game....even more so now.

Eastend
08-19-2008, 02:14 PM

I didn't until now. Thanks.

rocker
08-19-2008, 02:35 PM

yes.... this will be my first canadian nats game. I should have gone in the past but never gave it much thought. i guess TFC hooked me and now I'll buy any tickets to anything that approximates that vibe. but i guess due to stadium issues, we never really had a chance to attend one here recently.

Fort York Redcoat
08-19-2008, 02:51 PM
I remember watching those games played at Queens in Kingston last time round. The rabid Voyageurs. I think we'll all see something special tomorrow and then watch that grow.:canada:

REDPATCHGRL74
08-19-2008, 06:58 PM
This will be my 4th or 5th CMNT game. I am so excited to be going with this type of atmosphere!

loconet
08-19-2008, 08:09 PM
Thank you for the article!

I want to see all of BMO standing tomorrow and cheering Canada like never before.

Don Julio
08-20-2008, 09:59 AM
Cathal Kelly made me realize just how serious this situation is, Ben Knight isprired me to help make the difference.

Is it just me, or is the CSA slowly removing it's head from it's ass:
- Players fly business class
- Canadians, including TFC support, get ample opportunity to coordinate their seats, buy up the supporters sections, etc before tickets go on sale
- Ticket prices have dropped
- Start time moved back