PDA

View Full Version : Rangers sign US international Edu

mclaren
08-18-2008, 07:11 AM
Rangers have signed the American international Maurice Edu, 22, on a five-year contract, subject to a work permit being granted.

The Ibrox club have agreed a £2.6 million deal with Major League Soccer for the defensive midfielder, who has six caps.

Edu was recommended to the club by their former striker Maurice Johnston, who had coached the player at Toronto.

Edu joins new signings Pedro Mendes and Aaron Niguez in the expanding squad.

Manager Walter Smith is also hoping to complete the signing of Fulham midfielder Steven Davies, who proved to be a popular figure during his loan spell last season.

With captain and playmaker Barry Ferguson out injured for another two or three months, Smith has now strengthened the midfield area significantly.

:confused:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/r/rangers/7567198.stm

tfc_4_ever
08-18-2008, 07:42 AM
hmmm

The Kingpin
08-18-2008, 07:45 AM
WOW!! Not too sure what to make of this. I bet Mo has absolutely nothing under his sleeve.........

Bloor West FC
08-18-2008, 08:05 AM
http://www.tsn.ca/soccer/story/?id=246768&lid=sublink01&lpos=headlines_main

TORONTO FC'S EDU AGREES ON 5-YEAR DEAL WITH RANGERS

MG42
08-18-2008, 08:07 AM
Edu was the MLS's 2007 young player of the year while with Toronto.

Honestly, who writes this crap?

canadian_bhoy
08-18-2008, 08:09 AM
This is a great move by Mo Johnston - although I wish he sent him somewhere else.

Edu didn't fit into the team this year. Robbo held the back and Guevara held the front - where does edu go? The answer? Rangers.

Not only did we get a good return on a player who didn't fit into our line-up, we also got rid of a player who was looking to leave the club anyway.

If we waiting until next year, his contract would have run out and we would have lost him for no money.

Not only that, but if a player is actively looking to move - I say send them packing. I'm all for players having aspirations for bigger things, but if their heart isn't in the moment for TFC - then I'd prefer they go.

Good job MoeJo - you got one right!

Barbarez
08-18-2008, 08:18 AM
This is a great move by Mo Johnston - although I wish he sent him somewhere else.

Edu didn't fit into the team this year. Robbo held the back and Guevara held the front - where does edu go? The answer? Rangers.

Not only did we get a good return on a player who didn't fit into our line-up, we also got rid of a player who was looking to leave the club anyway.

If we waiting until next year, his contract would have run out and we would have lost him for no money.

Not only that, but if a player is actively looking to move - I say send them packing. I'm all for players having aspirations for bigger things, but if their heart isn't in the moment for TFC - then I'd prefer they go.

Good job MoeJo - you got one right!

Mo likes it when you spit and deepthroat it.

CretanBull
08-18-2008, 08:30 AM
Mo likes it when you spit and deepthroat it.

After this deal, Mo deserves it. He got the Rangers to over-pay by about $4 million dollars. I don't think any of us could have predicted that Edu - especially the way he's played this year - would fetch us $5 million. Hate all you want, but that's a brillant move by our manager.

Barbarez
08-18-2008, 08:40 AM
It's a brilliant move yeah, we're a bottom feeding team again this year with no potential, DP deadline came and passed. We have no strikers, no mid, no defense we're a shit fucking team.

rocker
08-18-2008, 08:41 AM
Edu was recommended to the club by their former striker Maurice Johnston, who had coached the player at Toronto.

:confused:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/r/rangers/7567198.stm

why the sad face bro?

mojo ripped them off for TFC's benefit. brighten up :)

mclaren
08-18-2008, 08:43 AM
It's a brilliant move yeah, we're a bottom feeding team again this year with no potential, DP deadline came and passed. We have no strikers, no mid, no defense we're a shit fucking team.

you speak the truth.

Don Julio
08-18-2008, 08:44 AM
Yeah, Mo has really excelled at getting rid of players that consistently go on to excel.

I know, it's not really his fault, but there's a real pattern here..

denime
08-18-2008, 08:46 AM
Merged,no need for multiple threads.

CoachGT
08-18-2008, 08:51 AM

What would you expect a coach or manager to do? He's young, shows lots of potential, and many people speculated on his move to Europe. Few coaches worth their salt, especially one who has played there, would ever try to stop a player from advancing his career. If he did, he'd never get any young players to want to come here again! I wouldn't read more into it than that.

ensco
08-18-2008, 08:53 AM
If Edu's worth $5 million, what does that say about our ability to acquire decent players?

canadian_bhoy
08-18-2008, 08:59 AM

What does that have to do with getting rid of a player for 5M who would have left us for nothing next season. Did anyone say that Mojo has done great this year or comment on any of his other moves? No. BUT this move specifically was a good one.

MartinUtd
08-18-2008, 09:16 AM
Half of you people were bitching that Edu needed benching so whats the big deal? Yeah, it sucks we lost a player with potential. But that potential was never going to pay off for TFC. If Edu was our saviour, then where the fuck was he for the first half of the season?

H Bomb
08-18-2008, 09:50 AM
Use the bloody EDU OFFICIALLY GONE thread for christ sake. This is still pending a work permit so it has no new info AND the other thread has this link. The attention span of this place is 3 seconds. So much clutter

mclaren
08-18-2008, 10:00 AM
I think the problem is not necessarily Mo leaving but what we're doing about strengthening our own side. We don't exist as a feeder club to teams in Europe.

H Bomb
08-18-2008, 10:02 AM
^^ Get used to it. Its' what happens, our best players will leave for Europe 90% of the time. The Dutch game a way better league than us and they lose basically all their good young players.....and merge this shit .

mclaren
08-18-2008, 10:50 AM
^^ Get used to it. Its' what happens, our best players will leave for Europe 90% of the time. The Dutch game a way better league than us and they lose basically all their good young players.....and merge this shit .

But loosing good players and having no strategy to replace them is just downright dumb.

H Bomb
08-18-2008, 10:52 AM
Well we signed Smith the same day and have Tello in the wings perhaps in the next day or two....those are replacements. About having no "strategy", that's an assumption on your part.

....merge

ilikemusic
08-18-2008, 10:57 AM
Why does anybody give a fuck how much money 'we' get for Edu?

1. It isnt like we get to spend all the money on new players. Theres still a salary cap.

2. What the fuck is 5 million dollars to MLSE? They wipe their ass with 5 million dollars.

I actually agree with Barbarez for once.

H Bomb
08-18-2008, 11:04 AM
Why does anybody give a fuck how much money 'we' get for Edu?

1. It isnt like we get to spend all the money on new players. Theres still a salary cap.

2. What the fuck is 5 million dollars to MLSE? They wipe their ass with 5 million dollars.

I actually agree with Barbarez for once.

The money we get IS irrelevant. But you think we would get to say no on something like this. this is a high value for this player. He's young/American/and hasn't previously failed in Europe (read Cooper/Twellman/Donovan) You take it because it's the best you'll get, at the best time (when the player is fit and the euro transfer window is close to closing) The deal makes perfect sense, whether you like it or not is completely up to you.

ilikemusic
08-18-2008, 11:18 AM
No doubt its high value, and I have no problem with the deal. I understand this is MLS and young players with potential are invariably going to move on to Europe asap.

What I wonder is why anybody cares about the specifics. We dont get 5 million dollars to spend on players. MLS takes a chunk, MLSE takes another. The money is apparently supposed to be invested in the franchise in ways other than player salary but again, my point is, this is MLSE, they drop 5 million dollars on the way to the office. The money accured from player sales means nothing to our ownership group.

They should be spending as much money as possible on this team already.

The deal is great for MLS. It is meaningless to MLSE.

Barbarez
08-18-2008, 11:24 AM
So basically TFC and TFC supporters get shit all from this deal. We gave Edu away. Yeah, great job Mo.

MrHawk
08-18-2008, 11:28 AM
No not really.

We get to argue on here about where the money should go. That's gotta count for something?

H Bomb
08-18-2008, 11:32 AM
No doubt its high value, and I have no problem with the deal. I understand this is MLS and young players with potential are invariably going to move on to Europe asap.

What I wonder is why anybody cares about the specifics. We dont get 5 million dollars to spend on players. MLS takes a chunk, MLSE takes another. The money is apparently supposed to be invested in the franchise in ways other than player salary but again, my point is, this is MLSE, they drop 5 million dollars on the way to the office. The money accured from player sales means nothing to our ownership group.

They should be spending as much money as possible on this team already.

The deal is great for MLS. It is meaningless to MLSE.

But it's not really true. MLSE are super rich....but that money goes back into TFC. When do you think MLSE would just hand over roughly 3 million for upgrading of anything? It's an extra three million for the betterment of the club...that's not a negative. We lost Mo, It's too bad, but seemed inevitable.

KRO
08-18-2008, 11:42 AM
Did anyone else hear The Fan 590 news broadcast this morning which said that TFC's Freddie Adu had been traded to Glasgow Rangers? It's nice to know that our local sports channel is so in touch with the team.

ilikemusic
08-18-2008, 11:49 AM
Did anyone else hear The Fan 590 news broadcast this morning which said that TFC's Freddie Adu had been traded to Glasgow Rangers? It's nice to know that our local sports channel is so in touch with the team.

Well its not even so much the team as it is the game. They have no clue how club football works.

Morgan Campbell was on talking with Mike Toth for a bit this morning. I felt awful for him having to try and talk with Toth about footy. :p

dantdot
08-18-2008, 11:50 AM

:rofl: :frown2: