PDA

View Full Version : Today’s News, Monday , Aug.18

denime
08-18-2008, 06:00 AM
Red Bulls gore sloppy Toronto FC
N.Y. adds injury to insult as veteran TFC striker Dichio knocked out of loss by elbow to head

IVES GALARCEP
Special to The Star
EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J.–Down a goal and up a man with 44 minutes to play, Toronto FC looked to have every opportunity to break down the New York Red Bulls yesterday and return home with points for the second straight road match.
The chances came but the goal never did as TFC failed to capitalize on the man advantage, looking more like a short-handed team than the Red Bulls did.
By the time Juan Pablo Angel tapped in an insurance goal in the 92nd minute, Toronto FC was headed out of Giants Stadium with a 2-0 defeat and stuck at the bottom of the Eastern Conference standings.
Missing Amado Guevara to suspension and Maurice Edu to an impending transfer to Scottish club Glasgow Rangers, TFC struggled to create chances and keep possession against a Red Bulls team that played with more purpose and intensity. The result was a second half that saw Toronto FC muster just two shots on goal, neither of which required an extremely difficult save.

Read more (http://www.thestar.com/Sports/Soccer/article/480286)

TFC shut out by Red Bulls
Associated Press

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. — Mike Magee's six-year Major League Soccer career has been hampered by injuries and illness, so he's never really had a chance to meet the expectations that came with his being the fourth pick in the 2003 draft.
However, the Red Bulls forward could be turning things around after scoring for the second straight week during New York's 2-0 win over Toronto FC on Sunday.
"Honestly, I hope I can get a goal every game," Magee said. "I'm getting my legs back, so that's a key and I have confidence now that I can get goals in back-to-back games. I'm getting my second chance and I'm making the most of it."
Magee got his third goal of the season in the 37th minute after he ran down a long pass from Seth Stammler and beat Toronto FC goalie Greg Sutton from about 10 yards out.

Read more (http://www.globesports.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080817.wsptfc17/GSStory/GlobeSportsSoccer/home)

Listless Toronto FC loses to 10-man Red Bulls

Mike Magee in the 37th minute and Juan Pablo Angel in added time led the New York Red Bulls to a 2-0 victory over Toronto FC on Sunday afternoon at Giants Stadium in New Jersey.
It was an especially disappointing loss for TFC as New York played virtually the entire second half a man down thanks to an elbow by Gabriel Cichero to the head of Danny Dichio, just seconds after the latter came into the game following the break.
Toronto drops to 7-9-4 in the Eastern Division of Major League Soccer with the loss, while the Red Bulls, winners of two-straight for the first time this season, are now 7-6-7.
Magee's goal was set up by an intelligent decision from star Juan Pablo Angel.
On a long clearing pass out of the Red Bulls' zone, Angel realized he was offside and that Magee, charging up near him, wasn't.

read more (http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2008/08/17/torontofc-redbulls.html)

Road woes continue for Toronto FC
Reds unable to break through in New York

E. RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- Up a man for 44 minutes and trailing the New York Red Bulls by a goal, Toronto FC had a golden opportunity to steal a second consecutive road result on Sunday evening at Giants Stadium. But despite the numerical advantage, the Canadians couldn't find the break they needed. Mike Magee's fluky first-half strike stood up to hand TFC their eighth away defeat this season. Juan Pablo Angel sealed the visitors' fate with a tap-in tally deep into stoppage time.
"All in all, we got what we deserved out of the game, and that was nothing," said a frustrated John Carver afterward.
Toronto earned its second win away from BMO Field last weekend, when it beat the Colorado Rapids 1-0 on recently acquired Chad Barrett's highlight-reel free kick. Carver called that win his team's biggest this season. But luck was not TFC's side Sunday, as evidenced by the opening goal.
"I think the ball was going to Angel, and it deflected and went to Magee," said TFC defender Marco Velez, who was victimized by what he said was a bad bounce. "I think Magee got caught off guard too. It happened pretty fast. We were just unlucky."
Carver saw it differently.
"It came through a lack of communication from us. We're in the 18-yard box, we lose possession, and the ball is just hooked away. We're asleep on the halfway line and next thing you know, it's in the back of the net," he said.

Read more (http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20080817&content_id=180855&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280)

http://i34.tinypic.com/2zs6tk3.jpg

SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/SUNshineGirl/home.html)

DOMIN8R
08-18-2008, 06:12 AM
Fucking depressing.

ensco
08-18-2008, 06:19 AM
You know what's funny?

If we'd scratched out two hard-fought, well played draws at Colorado and NY, we'd feel better, but we'd be worse off in the standings.

But it's still obvious we're going nowhere.

boban
08-18-2008, 07:56 AM
Not TFC related but Canadian Soccer related.
Gareth Wheeler wrote a nice column in the Sun in response to Sinclair reaction to De Vos' criticism of Pelerud's coaching tactics on just lobbing the ball forward and not concentrating on possession.

http://www.torontosun.com/Sports/OtherSports/2008/08/18/6487316-sun.html

Canada's soccer 'Nowhere' Men deserve our attention and support and not, sorry Christine Sinclair, some misguided low blow

A good old game of "he said, she said" is playing out between the men's and women's soccer circles in this country.

Usually united in the cause of demanding more support from the Canadian Soccer Association, a former national men's team member turned broadcaster and Canada's most recognizable women's player have caused a stir in gender relations.

CBC Sports soccer colour commentator Jason de Vos has openly questioned the tactics of departing women's team head coach Even Pellerud following Canada's elimination in the quarterfinal round at the Beijing Games.

De Vos was critical of the team's kick-and-run style, and suggested that more ball possession would be beneficial. This isn't the first time the women's team's style has been publicly questioned, but this time may have been the loudest.

Cue women's team captain Christine Sinclair who, instead of taking aim at the comment, went after its source, bringing de Vos' national team pedigree into the equation.

"The men's team is not at the Olympics," Sinclair said. "It's a shame to hear men's players saying that when they are nowhere."

You didn't just go there, Christine, did you?

Give her credit. Sinclair remained true to her coach, but to a fault. Sticking up for Pellerud is one thing. Taking a shot at the men's team is another.

De Vos' criticism was fair.

The Canadian women's team's biggest failure was its inability to hold up the ball in the midfield and provide any kind of decent service to Sinclair and the other striking options.

The problem was the same in China a year ago at the Women's World Cup.

The old-school kick-and-run mode does not work in the modern game.

Pellerud and Sinclair can justify their unattractive style of play by pointing to their winning record, but it really doesn't hold water.

For all Pellerud did for women's soccer in Canada, he was a tactical nightmare.

But this argument isn't about Pellerud. It's about why the Canadian women were in Beijing and the men weren't.

First off, the qualifying road for the women to major international tournaments is far easier than the men's. The women's game is nowhere near as competitive as the men's game in terms of countries with legitimate soccer programs.

Women's soccer, internationally, isn't as lacking as women's hockey, where only two nations essentially compete for the world championship. But at this point, there are only half a dozen women's soccer sides on the planet of any kind of quality.

Strong footballing nations, particularly in Europe, still make their men's programs their priority, leaving few resources for the women.

As for Olympic qualifying in CONCACAF, the talent pool is even thinner for the women, with no nation outside of the U.S., Mexico and Canada having a chance of competing.

Such is not the case for the men. Not only are there more strong sides than qualifying spots available, but our men regularly deal with a half-assed commitment from the CSA and, in turn, an ambivalent response from the Canadian public.

Not to suggest things are perfect on the funding front on the women's side, but the men always seem to be treated as an after-thought.

A strong men's national program would be far better for soccer in this nation than a strong women's program. Financially, there is little to be gained through sponsorship, ticket sales, and television deals for the women's game.

Yet, the point that a strong men's team can be much more profitable often is ignored. Instead, critics dwell on the fact the women are rated higher in FIFA's rankings and conveniently brush aside the men by using the played-out excuse that our soccer fans cheer for their homeland instead of Canada.

Quite frankly, the women have hit their ceiling and, as other women's programs develop, will face tougher competition.

Meanwhile, our men continue to develop despite the odds. This current Canadian men's side is the most talented this country has ever seen. They play an attractive, attacking brand of football. And, with players such as Dwayne de Rosario and Julien de Guzman soon to be household names, they have a legitimate shot at qualifying for the 2010 World Cup.

They are the ones that need our support.

rocker
08-18-2008, 08:45 AM
the last two sunshine girls have had great bodies but debatable faces.

Toronto Ruffrider
08-18-2008, 10:53 AM
^ Good article by Wheeler. De Vos' comments were justified, and many of us agree: the women's team plays with dated and ineffective tactics. Sinclair's stab against the men's team is not only unjustified, but it has nothing to do with de Vos' comments.

Roogsy
08-18-2008, 11:19 AM
I can't believe Sinclair had the "balls" to say that about DeVos, one of Canada's most dedicated players who sacrificed much at times to represent Canada internationally. He is one of the true success stories and her attack not only deflects the real issue of tactics, it shows a lack of class in throwing in the Men's faces the fact that they weren't at the Olympics. Nicely done Christine...it's not like the men aren't going up against powerhouses and the women face but a handful of competent teams. It takes either balls or stupidity to say stuff like that. :rolleyes:

ilikemusic
08-18-2008, 11:21 AM
Wow.

Christine Sinclair sounds like a moron.

TFC-Tyler
08-18-2008, 02:31 PM
De Vos should tell Sinclair to bake him a cake, it'd be the best thing she's ever done.

Women's soccer is a fucking joke, I'd like to see them try and qualify in the men's place, they'd get shredded a new vagina.

ag futbol
08-18-2008, 05:54 PM
Gareth Wheeler deserves a medal.

Not only did he criticize the coach but maybe for the first time ever a Canadian paper accurately descibed a tactical issue with a soccer team and put it in an article.

Sorry to some of the other guys writing in this town, but they probably couldn't accurately describe this situation.

This was a step up for soccer journalism because it was actually desciptive and not general.

SoccMan
08-18-2008, 08:48 PM
Gareth Wheeler has a soccer background, from what I've heard Gareth played organized club soccer growing up and he also played university soccer with the University of Western Ontario where if I'm not mistaken he won a national championship with Western. Therefore, it's not surprising he knows his soccer and this article is proof of that.