PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Johann Smith

mauser09
08-17-2008, 07:41 PM
Well he is fast like everyone said, what do you guys think about his play today?

T_Mizz
08-17-2008, 07:42 PM
is he actually as fast as wynne?

DigzTFC!
08-17-2008, 07:43 PM
He's fast. Can cross on the odd time. I'm not sure his touch is the best or his shooting ability. But I liked enough to think he could start on the left.

H Bomb
08-17-2008, 07:44 PM
His first run where he shot was fantastic. Wish he woulda chipped it over like Dane Richards did for NY's second so hopefully he can work on looking up a bit. He is freakish fast and will obviously beat a lot of people to a lot of balls. Now it's about working that style into a formation. I liked what I saw.

TFC-Tyler
08-17-2008, 07:46 PM
He was a lone bright spot, and should have been fucking starting.

DigzTFC!
08-17-2008, 07:51 PM
I actually thought Nana played really well

ochos
08-17-2008, 07:52 PM
^^^^^ yup this guy was the only one running at the defenders because he's not a pussy.

Harmse ain't a pussy either, but has no quality.

To be honest, our team doesn't deserve this guy after our play today....

noochie
08-17-2008, 08:07 PM
He was the only player out there who did not resemble a mindless robot.

H Bomb
08-17-2008, 08:08 PM
^^^^^ yup this guy was the only one running at the defenders because he's not a pussy.

Harmse ain't a pussy either, but has no quality.

To be honest, our team doesn't deserve this guy after our play today....

I don't understand what things like this mean. This is a very silly place.

Brooker
08-17-2008, 08:10 PM
it sure looked like he had the NYRB defenders scrambling and wondering what the hell he was gonna do!

great for his first game. can't ask for any more.

ginkster88
08-17-2008, 08:32 PM
I was impressed with his skill with the ball... not amazing, but he had a few nice moves.

profit89
08-17-2008, 08:37 PM
great prospect

TFC FAN72
08-17-2008, 08:46 PM
He impressed me. He ran balls down, he hustled on every play and just overall showed his teammates what hard work looks like.

I hope he gets the start against NE as his work ethic is sorely needed on our fragile club right now.

Captain Croatia
08-17-2008, 08:49 PM
Good edition compared to what we have.

bdrs
08-17-2008, 09:11 PM
Fast. he was good and fought hard

TFC-Tyler
08-17-2008, 09:13 PM
I don't understand what things like this mean. This is a very silly place.
It means the team is shitty and he deserves better. If you really dont understand that, I would suggest a remedial english class.

DigzTFC!
08-17-2008, 09:22 PM
It means the team is shitty and he deserves better. If you really dont understand that, I would suggest a remedial english class.

Come on man, really? We're all frustrated with the game but don't turn on people like that. Its also pretty shitty to say Johann Smith deserves better team than TFC but to lash out at people on the board is a bit ridiculous. H Bomb did not deserve a comment like that at all. Calma calma calma

Corpand
08-17-2008, 09:34 PM
And the good thing with him is that yes, he does have good pace, but its really his acceleration thats amazing. This guy can go from standstill to fullout sprint in a second!

TFC Cityboy
08-17-2008, 10:03 PM
he did well considering he has barely got to meet his new teammates. Lots of pace and decent crosses. If Dichio had not been injured, I could see the big fella getting on the end of his service.
No doubt he'll get injured vs NE.

UltraSuperMegaMo
08-17-2008, 10:06 PM
MOTM tonight - that’s not saying too much though. Created our only real scoring chance. I’d like to see him play in the centre.

justin
08-17-2008, 10:22 PM

so rather than add players of quality to improve the team, you'd rather have the better players leave because they deserve better? if he needs remedial english, you need problem solving for infants.

back on topic, he was good from what we saw, look forward to him getting comfortable with the team

Kickit09
08-17-2008, 10:24 PM
well he's fast and seems to like the step over a lot.....but we need someone to put the ball in the back of the net, plain and simple.

poppamidnight
08-17-2008, 10:31 PM
well he's fast and seems to like the step over a lot.....but we need someone to put the ball in the back of the net, plain and simple.

well he wasnt "up-front", so you should really hold-judgement on this until you see him in an upfront role (and thus getting the chance to go 1-on-1 to put the ball in the net) rather than just as someone swinging it in (robert + Ricketts can already do that)

Theroetically, with the skillsets we had in place today, he shouldhve just switched Johann in for Ibbe, and see how he looked with Robert crossing it in to him

TFCREDNWHITE
08-17-2008, 11:26 PM
I liked what i saw, it was refreshing to see someone with half a brain who can hold onto the ball for longer then 10 seconds! And like someone said earlier, he's not a pussy and can run at defenders! Lets hope he keeps playing with heart!!

sidenote: I'm soo sick and tired of the fucking amateur play we've been bringing to the table! I'm a die-hard TFC fan trust me!! I'm on the gold waiting list for seasons tix, i've already been to 4 home games plus all the Canada Cup home games, plus i have both jerseys, training gear, scarf, keychain, hat, raincoat and the list goes on and on! I'm a DIE HARD!! anyways my point was is that this fucking team and this league SUCK! the lack of quality is really starting to blow my mind!! ...sorry but i'm just venting!!!

GhostPK
08-17-2008, 11:32 PM
I really like Johann. Hes really fast (faster then Wynne?) throws defenders off with his sort of sloppy but super quick footwork, and can anyone catch him around the corners? Give him some time with the big man up front and chaulk one up for the boys in red.

jmorgs88
08-18-2008, 12:07 AM
as of right now i think Jo Smith should start up front because we have not got much quality up there....with time i would like to see someone take that spot so that he can drop to the left mid and give robert his walking papers

TFC-Tyler
08-18-2008, 12:19 AM
Come on man, really? We're all frustrated with the game but don't turn on people like that. Its also pretty shitty to say Johann Smith deserves better team than TFC but to lash out at people on the board is a bit ridiculous. H Bomb did not deserve a comment like that at all. Calma calma calma
What the hell are you talking about?

He said he did not understand what people meant when they said that, so I explained it to him, I never once said I agreed. I would suggest you take your own advice and avoid jumping to conclusions.

TFC-Tyler
08-18-2008, 12:22 AM
so rather than add players of quality to improve the team, you'd rather have the better players leave because they deserve better? if he needs remedial english, you need problem solving for infants.
My goodness, see above.

Although, really, what can you expect from a Habs fan.

jmorgs88
08-18-2008, 12:35 AM
if your explaining it because he didnt understand no need to throw in the immature remedial english class shot towards a fellow fan....if you even call yourself a fan, like many others have said, we all have frustrations with todays game, that being said smith was provided a glimmer of hope because one would hope he will only get better for us as he grows to know his teammates, if u think he deserves better feel free to try and get ahold of Mo to let him know that cuz no one hear is interested in hearing that

TFC-Tyler
08-18-2008, 12:37 AM
if your explaining it because he didnt understand no need to throw in the immature remedial english class shot towards a fellow fan....if you even call yourself a fan, like many others have said, we all have frustrations with todays game, that being said smith was provided a glimmer of hope because one would hope he will only get better for us as he grows to know his teammates, if u think he deserves better feel free to try and get ahold of Mo to let him know that cuz no one hear is interested in hearing that
In cases like you, the remedial english remarks are necessary. Look, just two posts up if you can manage, and you should see "I never once said I agree." Repeat that a few times.

But yeah, go ahead and question my loyalty, it cuts deep.

jmorgs88
08-18-2008, 12:41 AM
fair enough then, sorry cuz i didnt realize it was Ochos original comment, that being said, still dont need take the shot at h bomb for sayin he doesnt understand

Shakes McQueen
08-18-2008, 05:37 AM
In cases like you, the remedial english remarks are necessary. Look, just two posts up if you can manage, and you should see "I never once said I agree." Repeat that a few times.

But yeah, go ahead and question my loyalty, it cuts deep.

He wasn't questioning your loyalty. He was questioning your decency, as have several others.

And I personally don't think for a second that your "remedial English class" comment was supposed to be any friendlier than the "if you can manage" you threw into the quoted post above. It's you being a sarcastic jerk.

Also, the first guy said he didn't understand what you meant by what you said, not that he couldn't understand what the words themselves meant, if you'd like to get pedantic about it.

It was a frustrating day to be a Toronto FC supporter, but arguing amongst ourselves isn't constructive in the slightest.

- Scott

sidney
08-18-2008, 07:22 AM
Well he is fast like everyone said, what do you guys think about his play today?

He looks very promissing and threatening, especially since it was his 1st game playing on concrete.

Steve
08-18-2008, 07:46 AM
He looks fast and dangerous. That is to say, give him about 3 games in a Toronto kit and he will look like the worst player you've ever seen. I don't know what it is, but players come in, we get excited about them, they show some quality, then they shut down. Maybe they get frustrated by their team-mates, I don't know. Either way, if we had Ricketts (on form), Robert (when he was putting through killer through passes), Guevera (back when he played with heart and skill), Barrett of free kick fame, Robinson (ok, he always plays well), and Jo Smith (like he was yesterday) I think you'd see a good offense. Will we ever see that? Unlikely.

Oh, and fire the other smith, two smiths is confusing (I mean, how am I supposed to tell the difference between them? ;) ), and Jarrod is Lombardo V2.0, without the whole being Canadian thing going for him.

LucaGol
08-18-2008, 08:37 AM
I'll make my assessment of him in about 4, 5 games....hell, even Laurent Robert looked impressive in game 1 at RFK.

I'll say this....he does bring some interesting ideas and of course pace.

CoachGT
08-18-2008, 08:45 AM
Speed is very impressive, but I thought he was a little too cute coming from the midfield at times yesterday. When you have a bit of space, it seems unnecessary to do repeated stepovers and scissors to protect the ball. Those moves work best when you're near the box, and he did use them there a couple of times with minimal effect - the defenders didn't jump in, but it didn't buy much (if any) space or time, it just gave NYRB time to get back. Might just have been a case of first game with a new team nerves.

Positive on him to this point, but I'd like to see him shoot the ball a few more times before making a final call.

brad
08-18-2008, 09:10 AM
Before passing any judgment on this guy, remember he will be no where near match fit. he only made 19 appearances in the 2007/08 season, and has been a free agent since he was released from Bolton in May (meaning he's coming to us without any pre-season training).

We won't get a chance to see what he is really about until at least mid-September, and maybe not completely until next season.

Rawkus_420
08-18-2008, 09:50 AM
He was by far our best player on the pitch today, he beat a few defenders with ease, which is something nobody can do on our team. i feel sorry for the guy, he must be frustrated....I say fuck 4 at the back as well, we need offense, let robbo, play that defensive middle position with marshall behind him as a sweeper, with wynne and brennan as the wing backs.

joel
08-18-2008, 10:22 AM
Very impressed..lol did I see some stepovers back there?

TFC-Tyler
08-18-2008, 01:14 PM
He wasn't questioning your loyalty. He was questioning your decency, as have several others.

And I personally don't think for a second that your "remedial English class" comment was supposed to be any friendlier than the "if you can manage" you threw into the quoted post above. It's you being a sarcastic jerk.

Also, the first guy said he didn't understand what you meant by what you said, not that he couldn't understand what the words themselves meant, if you'd like to get pedantic about it.

It was a frustrating day to be a Toronto FC supporter, but arguing amongst ourselves isn't constructive in the slightest.

- ScottI didnt say it in the first place, oh dim one.

Yes very frustrating indeed, arguing isnt constructibe, so you restart a dead argument. Brilliant.

Cry me a river.

Nodoubtguy
08-18-2008, 01:16 PM
1st game, great speed, some nice balls in......Seems like once he gets used to his teammates, he should be solid.

I can picture him and Wynne speeding up the wings......:drool5: