PDA

View Full Version : Which 5 players need to go?

TFC USA
08-17-2008, 06:33 PM
I'm talking players, not Mocacolaleaguechampionship Johnston or Johnneverusehissubswiselyatall Carver.

I want you to pick up to 5 players on TFC right now that aren't worth the money or the space to play in this city anymore.

Laurent Robert, Marco Velez, Jarrod Smith.

EDIT: Kevin Harmse

I really can't think of two others (maybe Ty Marshall).

I_AM_CANADIAN
08-17-2008, 06:34 PM
Wow... and the Leaf fan style hysteria has kicked in already. I don't believe you people. You realize that we had five regulars missing today, right?

a.ungaro
08-17-2008, 06:35 PM
velez....velez....velez...robert...velez

Nuvinho
08-17-2008, 06:35 PM
Robert is gone after this year.

Velez will be a sub, once we get a proper CB

Ja Smith should be back on the developmental roster

Harmse needs to go, once/if we sign the Spanish dude

Roogsy
08-17-2008, 06:36 PM
We can't think of which players to let go unless we have a realistic expectation of what players we can bring in.

Dropping players is not the answer. Making them earn their paycheque is...or giving someone else willing to do so, the opportunity.

TFC USA
We also had more than that missing last week and we won against a just as crap team.

H Bomb
A really terrible thread.

I_AM_CANADIAN
08-17-2008, 06:37 PM
A really terrible thread.
^^^^

TFC USA
All of those players' paychecks should be transferred directly to Rohan Ricketts', Greg Sutton's, and Jim Brennan's wallets, because those are the 3 players that consistently bust their ass for whatever much time they play.

TheRenter
Wow... and the Leaf fan style hysteria has kicked in already. I don't believe you people. You realize that we had five regulars missing today, right?

5 regs missing...who? i count guevara n marshall, that's it

to get to the matter at hand,
velez
ja. smith
robert
all should take a hike

and maybe
harmse

i can live with the rest right now

twistedchinaman
08-17-2008, 06:38 PM
Robert, Velez, Smith and Harmse.

Even with the regulars here, sometimes it seems like they still serve the same shit sundaes.

It's a crap thread, but people need to blow off steam. And there is quite a lot of it.

Sonny Cheeba
08-17-2008, 06:39 PM
We also had more than that missing last week and we won against a just as crap team.

they had 10 men and we barely won.

ag futbol
08-17-2008, 06:40 PM
How about a shopping list of what we actually need:

1) A real playmaker in the centre. A true attacking mid, can pass to all areas of the field and can run onto the ball.

2) Central defenders which can handle the ball to help us keep possession.

3) A dangerous striker, because right now we have nobody up front that would be considered scary.

Other than that, sorry to some of the guys I like on the team but there is a total lack of technical ability. More than just the obvious targets have to go.

Roogsy
08-17-2008, 06:40 PM
I said it last week. We shouldn't have won that game. It's more like Colorado lost it rather than we won it. We played like shit and got 3 points, we should've been thankful. Instead, it made the team comfortable enough that they came into NY and laid a big fat dump on the pitch.

poppamidnight
08-17-2008, 06:41 PM
1 - Harmse
2 - Harmse
3 - Harmse
4 - Harmse
5 - Harmse

Why does this guy get up????....to F*** up????

Nah but really, besides him:
-Jarrod Smith (save for expansion draft.... take this shiiite off our hands)
-Marco Velez (we only have 1 CB worth fielding, our general...Marshall)

Besides those 3 im good,
I dont like Robert at his pay-range, but im okay with him on the team...
If those 3 went, Robert would be our "unprotected international" for the expansion draft... Chances are seattle would take him

DigzTFC!
Jarrod Smith....that's all really. Maybe Harmse

TFC USA
Be more specific twistedchinaman.....Johann Smith showed some promise! :D

twistedchinaman
Be more specific twistedchinaman.....Johann Smith showed some promise! :D

It's Jarrod. Sorry.

TFC USA
08-17-2008, 06:42 PM
I've come to a conclusion of who our best finisher is:

Danny Dichio........and sadly he's old and he's taking more poundings than a Japanese hooker.

twistedchinaman
08-17-2008, 06:43 PM

Danny Dichio........and sadly he's old and he's taking more poundings than a Japanese hooker.

^ True.

I_AM_CANADIAN
08-17-2008, 06:44 PM

I figured that out about a year and a half ago...

TFC USA
08-17-2008, 06:45 PM
I mean, it's no coincidence he's the all-time leading scorer in this team's short history.

I don't know who is 2nd.....I can't think of anyone, maybe Edu but he's gone.

MadMike
08-17-2008, 06:48 PM
Carver must puke after games like this. I did not go to the open practice (would have considereed it if it was free) but he certainly must teach/show them how to complete passes , and anticipate plays ... doesn't he? Our guys have no fluid passes what so ever. And when it comes to shooting on target .............

anyways players that need to go are Velez, Harmse, Jarrod, Robinson, Robert

TFC USA
08-17-2008, 06:49 PM
The rock in central defense in Robinson and you want him gone?

Roogsy
08-17-2008, 06:50 PM
Considering how long Dichio has been out (he didn't play a full season last year or this year)...the fact that he REMAINS our top-goal getter speaks volumes as to the problems of this team.

We have no difference-maker DP or not. And that is our problem. No one to rally around, no one who takes this team by the scruff and says "I am WILLING you to the finish line!". Nobody. We have hard-workers (Brennan, Robinson), we have talented players (Guevara, Ricketts) but we don't have that one guy that this team looks up to. Danny could be that guy, but he is hurt all too often to be that guy on the pitch.

Shakes McQueen
08-17-2008, 06:51 PM
We can't think of which players to let go unless we have a realistic expectation of what players we can bring in.

Dropping players is not the answer. Making them earn their paycheque is...or giving someone else willing to do so, the opportunity.

Exactly. But here are mine, with one caveat. This is assuming we have the opportunity to sign BETTER plays at those positions, for similar money.

1) Kevin Harmse
2) Jarrod Smith
3) Laurent Robert (though I'd prefer he just get a heart transplant)
4) Marco Velez (if a really good signing opportunity came along)

I can't think of a fifth. It needs to be kept in mind that we have been missing our full roster for a long time now, though.

I look forward to having Guevara and Wynne back in the lineup for New England, and maybe seeing Johann Smith in (instead of Ibrahim) as a starter for a full 90 minutes.

Or, God forbid we get the heart and soul of our club back, with Danny Dichio, at some point this bloody season.

- Scott

I_AM_CANADIAN
08-17-2008, 06:52 PM
What we really, really need is a world class striker. When we have our full first team, the only problem is a lack of quality up front.

MadMike
08-17-2008, 06:53 PM
LOL .... maybe the pebble in central defence .... and yes I want him GONZO !! I would love to know why you want him to stay.

DigzTFC!
08-17-2008, 06:53 PM
We need an offensive central midfielder...who would of thought playing two DMs in the center of the park would lead to a dull game.

poppamidnight
08-17-2008, 06:54 PM
I am reminded of my friends back home in vancouver who say they dont avidly support the whitecaps because the players arent that much better than them (a few of the whitecaps play pickup with guys out in van.)

You know what???
Some of these guys are just that.... pickup players...

In fact, their play, with the lack of ambition and all, remind me of a pickup game you join in when your walking through a park....

Jarrod Smith and Harmse are 'pickup players' (i honestly would like to try my hand against Harmse to see how i'd fair...that how dissapointed with him I am as of now)

Robbo and Robert have their specialties, but their downfalls (turnovers) are far worse than what they bring to the table....

but seeing as we won the lotto for Edu, Im not sure you'd want to put all that pressure on our best defesnive mid (Hemming) when he's has injury problems... Im good with Rosenlund as a sub in the mid, but if Hemming went down you'd have nobody as backup to Rosenlund

....and Velez needs to go

ag futbol

Rock on defense is 1/2 of the ball. His passes are fucking terrible and he has no range of movement.

315k for a stopper, keeping in mind we play with two stay at home central defenders and two defensive mids. His defensive prowlance is supported by the amount of commitment we have to staying back.

ginkster88
Nobody needs to go. How exactly does that help us at all??? Harmse, Jarrod and Velez shouldn't be in the starting XI for a proper side, so that's hardly their fault. Our proper line up is actually not half-bad, if you discount Velez:

Wynne Marshall (New Defender Here) Brennan

Ricketts Guevara Robinson Robert

Johann/Ibrahim/Dichio Barrett

Those players performing as they did at the beginning of the year should be enough for a playoff berth. The problem is lackluster play in the middle of the pitch, misguided lobs to the corners that players can't catch up to, and a general laziness about the team. Maybe they're trying hard, but they certainly don't look it. If we were to add a DP up front... not bad. I know this is what we've all known since midway through the year, but this thread needs to get its head out of its ass.

Smenge
08-17-2008, 07:09 PM
five that need to go: peddie, lastman, tannenbaum, carver, MO........as long as MLSE runs TFC, they will be mediocre at best........a good high school phys ed coach would do a better job motivating these players, and a company with a real goal of winning would never allow Peddie and Mo to run the team.

ginkster88
08-17-2008, 07:23 PM
I think that flaming MLSE is all wrong. I just don't understand what "MLSE" is doing wrong. Not spending money? Not hiring the right people?

Look at the Pat Quinn Leafs; with no salary cap, the team just burned money. The fact that the money was spent on useless players is not MLSE's issue. After Quinn it was Ferguson Jr. and the front office that was incompetent, once the salary cap putting an end to reckless spending. So there was no issue with shovelling away money there. Now they have paid Tucker to walk, and are looking to bring in quality front office people (cough, Burke) to turn things around.

Now the Raptors: please show me one way in which MLSE has hurt that team. They hire Bryan Colangelo after a few years of mediocrity. They're paying Jermaine O'Neil TWENTY MILLION PER SEASON. Apparently, his monster contract is no problem.

The trend I see is this: MLSE will (emphasis here) eventually put the right people in the right places and then walk away. Colangelo for the Raptors. Burke for the Leafs. And if Mo is given his walking papers (which I don't know that he deserves just yet), they will find the right person and then just sign the cheques. They've made mistakes with both the Raptors and the Leafs, but they are smartening up with both franchises. The same will happen at the Ex.

Red Skies At Night
08-17-2008, 07:40 PM
Talking about who should be released and who should be fired is very Bob McCown like... and in and of itself isn't something I have an issue with, but if you're going to talk about who goes, then you need to talk about who comes in to replace them.

Of course, the McCown answer is "who cares, get some other guy" but McCown isn't forced to actually get a replacement so he can talk shit.

Here's my question to those who want people fired or released, give real, credible names for their replacements.

If you can, perhaps we can have a good discussion, if you can't, then really you're no better than those you want gone.

I know we're all hurting after such a performance, but let's not be knee-jerk reactionaries. Leave that to the sports press in this town, it's what they do best.

(Personally there are many on thsi squad I'd want off the team, but I don't know of any realistic prospects to replace them)

DigzTFC!
08-17-2008, 07:44 PM
Will Johnson for Jarrod Smith

ginkster88
08-17-2008, 07:47 PM
Will Johnson for Jarrod Smith

That would be lovely. Unfortunately not likely, if SBI is to be trusted.

DigzTFC!
08-17-2008, 07:50 PM
Still within the realm of possibility. Ives gets things wrong and Mo has been known to keep things quite. It probably is just a pipe dream

noochie
08-17-2008, 08:22 PM
What we really, really need is a world class striker. When we have our full first team, the only problem is a lack of quality up front.

I disagree...having defenders that do more than watch the ball instead of man marking is also a core must-have.

Brooker
08-17-2008, 08:25 PM
i dont think we need to start ditching people....

well... then again Kev Harmse but many have been saying that for ages.

around the 70th minute i thought to myself: "if only Dichio didnt get injured..." then i thought... well, we can't even get balls up so it wouldnt matter.

very frustrating seeing the other team control the ball nicely and string together passes.... while we play like we did in 2007.

trane
08-17-2008, 08:41 PM

Many have said this all year, not matter how you cut it, he is our best finsher and is our leader. Barret is OK, but is not quite the same.

king10
08-17-2008, 08:42 PM
Rock on defense is 1/2 of the ball. His passes are fucking terrible and he has no range of movement.

315k for a stopper, keeping in mind we play with two stay at home central defenders and two defensive mids. His defensive prowlance is supported by the amount of commitment we have to staying back.

robinson is very under rated.. no way hes going.. hes worth every penny we are paying for him.. he gets no credit for the job he does for you.. during the game the announcers were even talking about how they felt robinson should have been an all star"

Smenge
08-17-2008, 08:46 PM
MLSE is rich, they spend lots of money, and the directors are stupid. The Leafs have not won in 40 years because the organization is stupid. The same boneheads now run TFC, and my friends, you will never see a championship team here until MLSE gets dumped by the Teachers Pension fund as a partner in this mess........my high school teacher could manage the team better than MO has, and Carver is proving to be a horrible coach. Firing the players is not the solution, firing the management is.

Captain Croatia
08-17-2008, 08:48 PM
Harmse - He sucks.

Ja. Smith - Has decent games, dev. roster i think would do.

Robert - I'd rather have Guevara take Set Pieces, and Johann Smith on the wing.

Smenge
08-17-2008, 08:56 PM
You guys still think MO is great? I got this from Skysports, the article raves about Edu.

"........The youngster was recommended to Walter Smith by former Rangers favourite Mo Johnston, who worked with Edu at Toronto FC."

Nice. Mo worked really hard at keeping Edu here. Asshole.

I_AM_CANADIAN
08-17-2008, 08:59 PM
:(

Ouch, baby... ouch.

I thought he was a Celtic fan these days anyway??!!

The Oz
08-17-2008, 09:30 PM
From the looks of the general consensus it looks like this

Harmse : everyone agrees hes shite and should leave
Robert: has constantly played badly in games and lost many a possesion as well as lazy at getting back at times
ja smith: not as bad but needs to go back to the dev roster
velez: is not up to snuff in this league

personally i think that if mo doesnt adress the problems, not these players persay but in general, he gets sacked cause hes had almost two years and it looks like for the second year in a row were not getting into the playoffs

DigzTFC!
08-17-2008, 09:34 PM
As much as people will probably disagree with me, I don't think Velez should be let go. I truly think Magee was James' man on that first goal. Velez would be a great sub at CB but not a starter

Mikey10308
08-17-2008, 10:00 PM
who comes up with this bullshit?

poppamidnight
08-17-2008, 10:17 PM
Harmse - He sucks.

Ja. Smith - Has decent games, dev. roster i think would do.

Robert - I'd rather have Guevara take Set Pieces, and Johann Smith on the wing.

One might be inclined to think your refering to banking our entire set pieces on Guevara...hence be worried about him getting injured, or his international duty....

So im rewording your statement:

I'd rather have Guevara and Barrett take set pieces
(i realize their both righties.... but 2 IS better than 1, and would keep the D guessing)

Kickit09
08-17-2008, 10:37 PM
not just let go, but replaced with QUALITY people. the sad part is we still need them untill we fing the people to replace them....

Mo Johnson (oh yes i did)
Kevin Harmse (he can just be let go)
Laurent Robert (self explanitory)
Jarrod Smith (the white cunningham)
Marco Velez (where's the velez from the first half of the season)

remember at the start of the season all that talk of how deep the team is... what a load of shit that turned out to be.

king10
08-17-2008, 10:41 PM
too much negativity in these threads

poppamidnight
08-17-2008, 10:45 PM
not just let go, but replaced with QUALITY people. the sad part is we still need them untill we fing the people to replace them....

Mo Johnson (oh yes i did)
Kevin Harmse (he can just be let go)
Laurent Robert (self explanitory)
Jarrod Smith (the white cunningham)
Marco Velez (where's the velez from the first half of the season)

remember at the start of the season all that talk of how deep the team is... what a load of shit that turned out to be.

What are u talking about here :noidea:

We have quality that never gets the chance....

Two recent examples:
-Ibbe (not being played for like 3 matches after we got him)
-Attakora

as of now we have to clearly superior replacement to Harmse:
Hemming + Rosenlund....

I'd be willing to say just by letting Harmse go, we'd be better of with Melo riding the pine....

....actually, from what i remember seeing Melo looked decent,
he could actually turn into another Hemming/Attakora (pleasent discovery)

Harmse is soo bad to watch right now, i'd actually put Melo above him in the depth chart (even though i havent seen his play this year):

Hemming>>>>>>Rosenlund>>>>Melo>Harmse

EDIT: Notice the ying+yang of negativity (towards Harmse) and optimism (towards our capable-youth) in this non-exclusively negative post

TFCREDNWHITE
08-17-2008, 11:14 PM
I'm so sick and tired of Robert's "sometimes i play, sometimes i don't" shite!

The problem with RObert is that i expect so much more outta him!! Damit he needs to step up with GOALS, LEADERSHIP, and HEART!

On a side note, i am also sooo sick and tired of SCREAMING and YELLING at the TV "Just PASS the fucking ball properly for once in your FUCKING life!!!!!"

I'm so sick of the level of play that it makes me wanna puke!!

or yelling "HOLD onto the FUCKING possession of the ball for like 30 seconds at least!!!!"

aaaaaaaarrrrrrrgggggghh i'm so frustrated its disgusting!