PDA

View Full Version : Our Midfield is TERRIBLE: Pick up Will Johnson

DigzTFC!
08-17-2008, 06:11 PM
Watching the NYRB match today it became quite apparent that we don't generate any offense in a british style midfield. Robbo offense of making short passes with players behind him and then hoofing the ball down the pitch is not working. Its a possession style league. Now Robbo himself isn't the problem but when you have another DM mirroring the style of play in the same game it makes for a defensive game.

Johann Smith will be a good enough left winger in this league. The Robert expirement should end. He has nothing left IMO. Ricketts is fine in the right. The center of the park is our big problem. We need an attacking midfielder like Amado in their every game to create something because Robbo is running the offense and its not working. Jarrod Smith is useless and should be released (like him, but it is what it is). Will Johnson should be in play for TFC.

LucaGol
08-17-2008, 06:13 PM
I agree 200%....playing Harmse beside Robbo was a colossal tactical error.

But one I fully expected........Carver has been playing for single points on the road since game 1 in Columbus.

It's the wrong strategy, yet he persists.

Does he think this is Stoke going up against Man Utd at Old Trafford? (don't answer that question....you know what I mean)

He needs to look up the word parity in the dictionary.

NF-FC
08-17-2008, 06:13 PM
will johnson isn't the answer. he is a depth player, we need a game breaker. we need someone who can take defenders one on one and put the ball in the fucking net.

Roogsy
08-17-2008, 06:15 PM
Harmse sucks. If he made it pro...I wonder what my chances would have been. When my knees were good, I KNOW I played better than this hack.

TFC07
08-17-2008, 06:15 PM
Agreed. Will Johnson can bring some spark to this team. He is young and talented enough to do well in MLS. The only problem is that Chicago has his rights. Why didn't Mo try to get Johnson's rights from Chicago before?

DigzTFC!
08-17-2008, 06:21 PM
Will Johnson isn't the answer at all of TFC. But we need someone who likes to set up goals in the midfield and having a guy like him when Guevara isn't around is what this team needs. That or we revamp our CM with Brazilians or Argentinians

a.ungaro
08-17-2008, 06:23 PM
Why didn't Mo try to get Johnson's rights from Chicago before?

LoL I wonder? does it fall along the lines of

he has no clue what he is doing---------------------0r-----------------He has absolutely no clue what he is doing?

LucaGol
08-17-2008, 06:25 PM
Why didn't Mo try to get Johnson's rights from Chicago before?

LoL I wonder?

C'mon now.....that's like asking a normal person to do advanced Calculus after funnelling 10 beers.

Mo did the absolute best he could with the brain that he has.

DigzTFC!
08-17-2008, 06:29 PM
Moot point. We have the assets to acquire him. We have the assets to acquire a striker. We have the assets to acquire a DP. Seriously, the team isn't all that bad its just the center of the park and a striker. Thats about it.

a.ungaro
08-17-2008, 06:30 PM
lmaooo Mo can funnel more then ten and he'll take carvers 12 incher while hes doing it

LucaGol
08-17-2008, 06:34 PM
Moot point. We have the assets to acquire him. We have the assets to acquire a striker. We have the assets to acquire a DP. Seriously, the team isn't all that bad its just the center of the park and a striker. Thats about it.

lol....u just mentioned 60 percent of the starting 11 that needs rejigging.

We need a new mentality is what we need.

Our team is cocky as f*ck because they're supported like Man U....
We play with no purpose in attack, in defense....
Our conditioning was waaay overhyped at the beginning of the season....
Our tactics are stale...
The team doesn't get on well with each other....

There are many many problems.

I_AM_CANADIAN
08-17-2008, 06:35 PM
My IQ probably dropped by about ten points after reading this thread. :rolleyes:

NF-FC
08-17-2008, 06:37 PM
My IQ probably dropped by about ten points after reading this thread. :rolleyes:

so you're running on empty?

sorry, you made it too easy

LucaGol

Can you have an IQ below zero?

I don't think so.

Better look into that.

LucaGol
so you're running on empty?

sorry, you made it too easy

Damn, beat me to it.

DigzTFC!
No I think our wingers are fine now with Johann and Rohan. I think the CM are the problem in a possession style league. We need guys who can dribble for fuck sakes. The isn't a fucking track meet like in England.

I AM Canadian. You could expand on that comment. What do you find so stupid about it?

I_AM_CANADIAN
08-17-2008, 06:41 PM
Read between the lines, my friends:

This thread is stupid. With Edu, Guevara and Robert in there, our midfield improves by leaps and bounds. Harmse and Jarrod Smith should be packed up and sent on a bus out of town tomorrow.

As for Robert, you guys don't seem to see quality. A guy plays well for one match, suddenly he's incredible in your eyes. Remember when everyone was raving about Smith? Yeah, that died down pretty quickly when he got more first team action. Robert is a player the other team has to take care to try and shut down. That slows down the counterattack, even if that's all he's useful for. With Johann Smith out there, the other team has nothing to worry about. Smith rarely pressured the ball, and he didn't create anything. Likewise with Jarrod Smith and Harmse.

DigzTFC!
08-17-2008, 06:50 PM
I see the quality in Robert....he just has nothing left to give a professional soccer team. Much like I can watch Maradona in and old timers game and see the quality, but understand he is not able to play professionally anymore.

I agree with you in Jarrod and Harmse should be let go. Check the 5 let go thread

Less the talk of Will Johnson, this thread more to extent has to do with our lousy central midfield. Do you believe that we were good? I even mention Will Johnson as being a sub for Guevara. We generate no offense out of the middle.

I_AM_CANADIAN
08-17-2008, 06:57 PM
If you recall the back to back RSL and KC home wins, we looked the best side in MLS for a week, and it was all because of the midfield. Now whether guys have gotten overly frustrated and/or lazy since, I don't know, but with our best five across the middle, we were hard to beat. Now Carver's been f*cking around with new tactics every other game, and guys are hurt or unavailable for one reason or another, and we're not nearly as effective as we were earlier. We need to add depth in midfield and at the back, we can't lose every game in which we don't have the full team.

ag futbol
08-17-2008, 06:59 PM
No, it was because the other teams had no idea how we played. We ran up and down the flanks all day and ran wild on their asses.

Now, they know exaclty how we play, they stuff the flanks. We have no offensive ability in the centre, very few players who can shoot from distance and a total lack of a central playmaker.

So to counter that and adjust we've done nothing, and we'll continue to lose because our playbook is half a page long and several USL teams and a couple of MLS teams playing with 10 men proved how bad it is.

Smenge
08-17-2008, 07:03 PM
I hope MO and Carver are fired before they are allowed to give us another end of season speech about how great we are and how MLSE will spend money to improve the team....boycott BMO, stay silent, cheer for the opposing team......anything to demonstrate you are not going to pay for this garbage.

I_AM_CANADIAN
08-17-2008, 07:11 PM
*sigh*

When hysteria gets underway, it's hard to stop it. I'll bow out of this thread on that note.

T_Mizz
08-17-2008, 07:51 PM
I totally agree with this thread, Johnson is a great playmaker/scorer as anyone who saw the U-23 CONCACAF tourney can tell you, he was the only player with any class and a long while back when he played for Chicago he scored a goal in only 6 games better than anyone on our team and he was like 18.

Limani_Ole
08-18-2008, 12:37 PM
with all the talent available in south and central america.. I dont know how they cant find a couple of players to come up for a trial.. im sure they would love the expose since europe is now looking at the MLS to pluck young talent..

MO has to expand his horizons A LOT.. that or hire some south american scouts..

Ossington Mental Youth
08-18-2008, 12:40 PM
Read between the lines, my friends:

This thread is stupid. With Edu, Guevara and Robert in there, our midfield improves by leaps and bounds. Harmse and Jarrod Smith should be packed up and sent on a bus out of town tomorrow.

As for Robert, you guys don't seem to see quality. A guy plays well for one match, suddenly he's incredible in your eyes. Remember when everyone was raving about Smith? Yeah, that died down pretty quickly when he got more first team action. Robert is a player the other team has to take care to try and shut down. That slows down the counterattack, even if that's all he's useful for. With Johann Smith out there, the other team has nothing to worry about. Smith rarely pressured the ball, and he didn't create anything. Likewise with Jarrod Smith and Harmse.

Dude, i would like to personally thank you.
Its rare (especially with that retarded brutal loss last night) that someone is as accurate as you are.

JoSmith looks like hes got some talent, something we can develop, id argue id rather see him as a stiker then a winger, as for Harmse and Smith, they defo are on their last legs and i wouldnt be surprised if they got waivers or put in the expansion draft

Ossington Mental Youth
08-18-2008, 12:52 PM
I dont, for the record, think that Will Johnson would be a bad idea by any measure, dude could only bring depth and eventually start (if hes as good as i think he might be and others say), however at what cost... I dont thnk he'd make an immediate impact by anymeans. Still love to have him tho

dannyd
08-18-2008, 12:56 PM
No, it was because the other teams had no idea how we played. We ran up and down the flanks all day and ran wild on their asses.

Now, they know exaclty how we play, they stuff the flanks. We have no offensive ability in the centre, very few players who can shoot from distance and a total lack of a central playmaker.

So to counter that and adjust we've done nothing, and we'll continue to lose because our playbook is half a page long and several USL teams and a couple of MLS teams playing with 10 men proved how bad it is.

QFT...

Dirk Diggler
08-18-2008, 01:02 PM
All I know is that in its current form, the team is absolutely poor. Seriously, at this point, I don't think any addition will hurt. Bring on Will Johnson I say.

DigzTFC!
08-18-2008, 01:02 PM
I think the thread title is really misleading on my part. It was more of an anti-Robbo-carrying-the-attack statement without blaming him for assuming that role. What I was really trying to say is that we need an Amado Guevara type in the CM position in every game without this two DM scheme. Will Johnson just seems like an obvious body to get to fill in when Amado's not around.

While I agree with I AM CANADIAN's point of view on a lot of things he has posted, I'm really getting tired of people writing in an unabated aggresive tone and implying the stupidity of people (its definetly not just you either). I don't think its really needed and I try to limit it in my posts the longer I've been using the forums. But, then again, maybe I should find something else to do if I feel so strongly as it seems to hitting a climax with TFC loses

Canadian Blue
08-18-2008, 01:03 PM
Johann Smith will be a good enough left winger in this league.

What about a line up like this:

----------------------Barrett

---------------Guevara

Johann Smith-------- Robert---------- Ricketts

---------------------Robinson

James------- Marshall-------- Velez------- Wynne

----------------------Sutton

DigzTFC!
08-18-2008, 01:06 PM
I like the offensive mindset in that roster:

------Barret--New Stiker/Guevara
Johann--Guevara/Tello-Robinson-Ricketts
Brennan Marshall Velez Wynne

Tello might be that offensive player at CM that we can push Guevara up top. I'm still hoping that they can find a real out and out striker though

TFCREDNWHITE
08-18-2008, 01:09 PM
Dude, i would like to personally thank you.
Its rare (especially with that retarded brutal loss last night) that someone is as accurate as you are.

JoSmith looks like hes got some talent, something we can develop, id argue id rather see him as a stiker then a winger, as for Harmse and Smith, they defo are on their last legs and i wouldnt be surprised if they got waivers or put in the expansion draft

Its true! Johann Smith played Standing tall yesterday, He showed that he's not a pussy!! We need more players like that!! Dichio is another that stands tall and is not a pussy!!

sully
08-18-2008, 01:10 PM

---------------Guevara

Question mark around Robert.
Brennan is a sure starter.

Ossington Mental Youth
08-18-2008, 01:21 PM
As much shit as Robert has been catching, i honestly fail to see where he was doing so terribly yesterday, i dunno, im not a huge fan and i can see his failings (like giving up the ball and/or not chasing close balls down) but i honestly dont think he was playing that poorly yesterday... maybe i need to watch the game again?

tlear
08-18-2008, 01:22 PM

---------------Guevara

Hmm where is Brennan? Replace James with Brennan and I like it a lot

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
08-18-2008, 01:44 PM
on week i hear we have the best midfield in the league.. then its terrible...c'mon you guys are too much!......entertaining though!

Canadian Blue
08-18-2008, 02:57 PM
Hmm where is Brennan? Replace James with Brennan and I like it a lot

Yea I didn't mean to omit Brennan......

Big Bruva
08-18-2008, 03:56 PM
I thought Johann came in with a needed spark and will be a good winger for this team. I personally saw him get to a ball that most on the team wouldn't due to his pace, his final ball should of been better to Barrett but that will hopefully come.

The line up above with Robert in the middle adding creativity to Amado's game might be good coz he does not have the legs anymore to run both ways a lot or at least run at the pace most would want.

T_Mizz
08-18-2008, 09:32 PM

---------------Guevara

I like the polayers in it but you can't be serious with that formation? a 4-1-3-1-1 What is that? no offence but who uses that formation? Also I dunno about Robert at CM he has no defensive skill or will to play defence so there goes that i think what you should do is move it to a 4-1-2-1-2 or 4-4-2 diamond just move smith up to striker and move robert to the left. then I agree whole-heartedly

jloome
08-19-2008, 01:12 AM
I like the polayers in it but you can't be serious with that formation? a 4-1-3-1-1 What is that? no offence but who uses that formation? Also I dunno about Robert at CM he has no defensive skill or will to play defence so there goes that i think what you should do is move it to a 4-1-2-1-2 or 4-4-2 diamond just move smith up to striker and move robert to the left. then I agree whole-heartedly

IT's a 4-1-4-1, it's not that uncommon, just a 4-5-1 variant. You see all sorts of weird versions of it, depending on how they're trying to adapt to the midfielders' abilities, particularly on teams like Liverpool and Madrid, where you have forwards who can play both in the hole and as as striker, or as a striker and a winger, or as a holder and an attacking midfielder etc.

Northern Soul
08-19-2008, 08:49 AM

---------------Guevara

I like that formation. With Robert and Guevara in the middle, there is certainly a lot more creativity.

arsenal
08-19-2008, 09:04 AM
The question you need to ask yourselves ..... does Will Johnson want to play for TFC? He spent more time in the states growing up and may prefer to live there. There is also the issue of turf and perhaps like many other players he would prefer to play on natural grass. I love how everyone automatically assumes he wants to play here and Mo just does not want him.

Canadian Blue
08-19-2008, 12:01 PM
I like the players in it but you can't be serious with that formation? a 4-1-3-1-1 What is that? no offence but who uses that formation?

----------------------------Barrett (Tevez)

---------------------Guevara (Rooney)

Johann Smith (Ronaldo)-------- Robert (Scholes) -----Ricketts(Nani)

----------------------------Robinson(Carrick)

James(Evra)------- Marshall(Vidic) ---Velez(Rio) ----Wynne (Brown)

----------------------Sutton (Van Der Sar)

Your right I must be an idiot, I mean seriously what team could actually have success playing in such a silly formation???? I feel like a complete moron for even bringing it up......

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
08-19-2008, 12:02 PM

Your right I must be an idiot, I mean seriously what team could actually have success playing in such a silly formation???? I feel like a complete moron for even bringing it up......

LOL CLASSIC!

LucaGol
08-19-2008, 12:06 PM
@ T-Mizz

4-1-3-1-1, 4-2-2, 4-1-3-2, 4-1-4-1.....don't get bogged down in semantics

Scholes is only shown playing in front of Carrick because he pushes up more....but for all intents and purposes its really a 4-4-1-1 depending on Rooney's positioning.

It's all the same b.s....and that's coming from a tactics person.

Canadian Blue
08-19-2008, 12:13 PM
@ T-Mizz

4-1-3-1-1, 4-2-2, 4-1-3-2, 4-1-4-1.....don't get bogged down in semantics

Scholes is only shown playing in front of Carrick because he pushes up more....but for all intents and purposes its really a 4-4-1-1 depending on Rooney's positioning.

It's all the same b.s....and that's coming from a tactics person.

Of course it is all a variation of the one striker formation not that we are doing well with it but the formation I suggested is exactly what TFC has been doing all year with Guevara, Robinson and Edu playing in the midfield. I just think it was funny how T-Mizz thought it was such and far fetched idea.

As for Scholes positioning........I think the fact that Carrick is considered a DM and Scholes an AM shows that naturally one plays ahead of the other

Flipityflu
08-19-2008, 12:56 PM

that may be the single most impressive comeback i have seen here.

so, 1 more player will be off the team soon, with Mo working on two MLS guys, and a free signing. to be honest, until all this stuff is signed, who knows what kind of lineups we will be making.

jloome
08-19-2008, 02:53 PM
that may be the single most impressive comeback i have seen here.

Got to agree with that.

Canadian Blue
08-20-2008, 02:50 PM
Thank you, Thank you, I'll be here all week........try the veal!!!!:seeya: