PDA

View Full Version : Today’s News, Saturday , Aug.16

denime
08-16-2008, 05:30 AM
Rumours swirl that absent Edu is headed to Glasgow Rangers
TFC coach Carver expects midfielder to play in N.Y. tomorrow
MORGAN CAMPBELL

Half a day after his flight from Beijing landed, defender Marvell Wynne returned to the practice field with Toronto FC as they prepared for tomorrow's visit to the New York Red Bulls.
But his Olympic teammate Maurice Edu remained absent, and if the folks at Toronto FC knew where the second-year midfielder was, they weren't saying. Head coach John Carver simply said that he expected Edu, who played centre back for the U.S. Olympic team, to man TFC's midfield tomorrow.
On Thursday U.S. Soccer announced that Edu had made the U.S. team for the next round of World Cup qualifying and had flown from Beijing to Carson, Calif., to train for next Wednesday's game against Guatemala.
By yesterday, however, it became clear that Edu's absence might be permanent, when reports surfaced that Glasgow Rangers of Scotland's premier league had agreed to pay $5 million (U.S.) to acquire him.
TFC director of soccer Mo Johnston wasn't available to verify the reports, but a league source, while denying the transfer deal was complete, confirmed it was underway.
As of yesterday Edu's bio was still listed on TFC's website.
Under Major League Soccer rules, TFC will receive two-thirds of the transfer fee with some money going to the team's academy and some to the allocation fund. MLS, which owns all players' contracts, receives the remainder of the transfer fee.

Read more (http://www.thestar.com/Sports/Soccer/article/479781)

Maurice Edu sold to Glasgow Rangers: reports
Scotland's Evening Times is reporting Toronto FC midfielder Maurice Edu has been sold to Glasgow Rangers for a deal worth around $5 million.
The story backs up multiple media reports in North America that had the American international, just back from the Beijing Olympics where the U.S. were eliminated early, on his way to one of Europe's most famous clubs.
Edu is said to be only waiting on work permit formalities before he can leave for Britain.
His signing is one of a handful Rangers have completed or are trying to in an effort to boost their midfield, the Times says. Portsmouth's Pedro Mendez is in for about $6 million and the club has also made an $8 million bid for Palermo infielder Mark Bresciano, an Australian international.
A product of Fontana, Calif., Edu was named the MLS's top rookie last year when he scored five times and had two assists. This year he had a goal and a helper in 13 games, missing a number due to American team call-ups for FIFA and Olympic play.

Read more (http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2008/08/15/johann-smith-torontofc.html)

Canada's soccer loss is end of Pellerud's tenure
Jim Morris THE CANADIAN PRESS

SHANGHAI, China–In the final moments of his last game as head coach of the Canadian women's soccer team Even Pellerud stood at the bench, collar open on his white shirt, eyes focused on the play.
His expression was hard to read.
After the heart-breaking 2-1 loss to U.S. Pellerud briefly put his arm around captain Christine Sinclair's shoulder.
It was classic Pellerud. The tactician to the end. A hint of emotion after.
The loss in Friday's quarter-final not only eliminated the women from the Summer Olympic tournament, it also signalled the end of Pellerud's tenure. He announced earlier in the summer he planned to leave after the Games following nine years with the team.
With Pellerud moving on, and some of the players likely to retire, it's difficult to predict the future of the women's soccer program. But Pellerud's influence was the catalyst for the team evolving from a rambling amateur program to a smoothly operating professional group.

Pellerud has his critics.
Jason DeVos, a former men's national team member who has been working as a television analyst, said Pellerud's methods are outdated.
Instead of playing a kick-and-run style, the women should play a more possession-focused game, said DeVos.
Pellerud was blunt in his reply.
"He can start to look at my record," he snapped.
Sinclair was more acid.
"The men's team is not at the Olympics," she said. "It's a shame to hear men's players saying that when they are no where." :eek: :nonod:

Read more (http://olympics.thestar.com/2008/article/479432)

TFC prepares to sell Edu to Scottish side
LARRY MILLSON
From Saturday's Globe and Mail

TORONTO — As Toronto FC announced the signing of free-agent forward Johann Smith yesterday, it was also preparing to say goodbye to midfielder Maurice Edu, who is on the verge of leaving for Rangers of the Scottish Premier League for a $5-million (U.S.) transfer fee.
Edu, last year's Major League Soccer rookie of the year, has just returned from the Beijing Olympics after the United States was eliminated by Nigeria 2-1 this week.
MLS is reported to have accepted the Rangers' offer and now it is a matter of working out the final details.
Under MLS rules, the club receives two-thirds of the transfer fee, with the other third going to the league.
Toronto manager Mo Johnston would not comment on Edu's situation yesterday, but did have some things to say about Smith, describing him as "quick" and a player that head coach John Carver knows and likes.
Johnston said American-born Smith, 21, will join the team immediately.
"Quite a few teams were after him," Johnston said.
In order to land Smith, Toronto made a deal with the New England Revolution, sending them allocation money and then swapping places with them in the allocation rankings, going from 13th to second to acquire Smith.

Read more (http://www.globesports.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080815.wspt-tfc-update-15/GSStory/GlobeSportsSoccer/home)

SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/SUNshineGirl/home.html)

DOMIN8R
08-16-2008, 05:37 AM
Gooooood Mornin' Denime.

DId you know that the Red Bulls are Shiiiite?

denime
08-16-2008, 05:40 AM
Gooooood Mornin' Denime.

DId you know that the Red Bulls are Shiiiite?

Mornin'

As for NYRBareshite,Yes I did know it was on TV too.

denime
08-16-2008, 05:57 AM
Pellerud has his critics.
Jason DeVos, a former men's national team member who has been working as a television analyst, said Pellerud's methods are outdated.
Instead of playing a kick-and-run style, the women should play a more possession-focused game, said DeVos.
Pellerud was blunt in his reply.
"He can start to look at my record," he snapped.
Sinclair was more acid.
"The men's team is not at the Olympics," she said. "It's a shame to hear men's players saying that when they are no where."

I don't know why Sinclair and Pellerud are pissed on DeVos,He was right.
His record sucks and the tactics are outdated by 10 years.
As for Sinclair comment,WOW to compare FIFA Man's and Woman's competition and quality sound so stupid.
I don't know but,are we suppose to be impressed that our WNT managed to qualify for the WWC and the Olympics?

twistedchinaman
08-16-2008, 06:19 AM
Sinclair is being a bitch, Pellerud is a moron -- deserves to be kicked out the door.

Oh you qualified for the Women's World Cup, Christine? Big deal. So did the USA and have you managed to beat them many times? No?

Shut up, go away, and when you actually win something like Huynh, Verbeek, Frandsden and Calder, then you can start talking. Meanwhile, you're in the loser bin.

darb
08-16-2008, 06:33 AM
I don't know why Sinclair and Pellerud are pissed on DeVos,He was right.
His record sucks and the tactics are outdated by 10 years.
As for Sinclair comment,WOW to compare FIFA Man's and Woman's competition and quality sound so stupid.
I don't know but,are we suppose to be impressed that our WNT managed to qualify for the WWC and the Olympics?

10 Years exactly. I watched all of 15 minutes of that game and I couldn't believe how bad Canada looked booting the ball up the field to the forwards and losing 8 of 10 headers, and possession 9 of 10 of those times. It was sad to watch. I think I saw 3 or more passes in succession *maybe* twice.

Mitchell is holding is own for now because of the quality of players, but I suspect we'll need to get foreign coaches in for both the MNT and WNT soon - might as well start with the WNT.

Razcle
08-16-2008, 07:02 AM
WNT has a foreign coach. Pellerud is dutch is he not? and although I am not a huge fan of his, he has done alright. However I do not feel he is the answer to making the lasses a top 5 powerhouse.

boban
08-16-2008, 07:51 AM
WNT has a foreign coach. Pellerud is dutch is he not? and although I am not a huge fan of his, he has done alright. However I do not feel he is the answer to making the lasses a top 5 powerhouse.
He's Norwegian ;)
I think he served his purpose for the time we needed him to get us at a certain level. Hi long ball was frustrating and conterproductive in this tournament.
We need someone new to take the woman's team to the next level.

a.ungaro
08-16-2008, 07:52 AM
oh the red bulls are shite

redrocket08
08-16-2008, 07:55 AM
Rangers confirm talks
http://www.rangers.premiumtv.co.uk/page/News/NewsDetail/0,,5~1367723,00.html

CoachGT
08-16-2008, 09:16 AM
He's Norwegian ;)
I think he served his purpose for the time we needed him to get us at a certain level. Hi long ball was frustrating and conterproductive in this tournament.
We need someone new to take the woman's team to the next level.

Norwegian he is, and he has also written a book about his experiences in winning the Women's World Cup with Norway and his time in Canada. It is a very worthwhile read for anyone who is or is considering coaching. The book talks about the struggles the CSA had (from his perspective) with brining in a foreign coach. It doesn't suggest that (long ball) as his strategy - it may be a change based upon the players he had available.

I know a few people who look forward to his departure, mainly because it probably means the end of his rigorous fitness regimen, giving other players the chance. However, I think his departure signals a drop in our rankings for a few years. I think he has been very good for Canada!

arbogast
08-16-2008, 10:08 AM
Gers confirm Edu arrival

It was reported on Friday night that Rangers had agreed a deal for the American international.
And the Scottish club have now confirmed the news and revealed that Edu will be attending the match against Hearts this weekend.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12874_3993257,00.html

Bobo
08-16-2008, 11:14 AM
Sinclair is being a bitch, Pellerud is a moron -- deserves to be kicked out the door.

Oh you qualified for the Women's World Cup, Christine? Big deal. So did the USA and have you managed to beat them many times? No?

Shut up, go away, and when you actually win something like Huynh, Verbeek, Frandsden and Calder, then you can start talking. Meanwhile, you're in the loser bin.

Exactly what I was going to say. Maybe the men would be somewhere if the CSA cared only for the men's program, like most of the world.

Broad is a man in disguise anyway.

DigzTFC!
08-16-2008, 11:43 AM
I can sympathize with Sinclair but she will have to apologize for that. I mean Pellerud has been a mentor to most of these girls and she was asked about the commentary after a big loss to the US (which have been their major hurdle). Just bad timing for an interview....thats how I interpret it. DeVos hasn't played for the CMNT in how many years? She was just frustrated

Batman
08-16-2008, 12:27 PM
I think Sinclair had no reason to compare the Men to the women and was probably lashing out based upon her disappointment of being eliminated.

I disagree though with those that trash Pelerud. He's done well for the women on a shoestring budget and with little backing by our beloved CSA. I thank him for his work and wish him well. He's certainly better than Dale Bleeping Mitchell.

Hooligan69
08-16-2008, 06:31 PM
It's always a poor decision to conduct interviews right after suffering a disappointing and heartbreaking loss. The players will likely be overcome with emotion and say things they likely wouldn't say any other time. That is what I think happened here to Sinclair.

jloome
08-16-2008, 06:42 PM
It's not a new criticism anyway.

Fort York Redcoat
08-16-2008, 08:16 PM
I don't think DeVos was just being candid not cruel. The response is emotional. IMO the mens game isn't important at all when they have their own world tourneys that are superior. Olympics should be for amateurs.