PDA

View Full Version : Starting XI

The Oz
08-15-2008, 10:38 PM
With the recent signing of Johan Smith and possibly Tello how do you think the Toronto FC starting line up will look like once everyone is available?

TFC Cityboy
08-15-2008, 10:46 PM
dodgy at the back, less bite in Midfield and impotent up front most likely -hope I'm wrong.

nascarguy
08-15-2008, 10:48 PM
i hope to se edu in cb

Keegan
08-15-2008, 10:54 PM
i hope to se edu in cb

Is that a joke nascar or are you doin a Glasgow Rangers XI?

Johann Smith shouldn't start. If that guy is starting for us we have serious problems. I'd rather go with a lone striker Barret.

--------Barret-------
Robert---------Ricketts
--------Guevara-----------
----Robinson-Hemming---
JB-Nana-Marshall-Wynne
--------Sutton---------------

The Oz
08-15-2008, 11:06 PM
Personally I was thinking of seeing what jo smith can do.

-------barret-----jo smith----------
robert------guevara------ricketts--
-------------robinson--------------
brennan---james--marshall--wynne-

kdzb
08-15-2008, 11:40 PM
Guevara is suspended

Stryker
08-16-2008, 12:08 AM
-------Barrett-------Dichio-------
Ricketts---Robinson---Harmse---J. Smith
Brennen----James----Velez----Wynne

Subs used:

Johann Smith for Dichio (hoping for the new guy luck thing)

flatpicker
08-16-2008, 12:18 AM
Ricketts---Robinson---Harmse---J. Smith

Subs used:

Johann Smith for Dichio (hoping for the new guy luck thing)

dang!
I didn't even realise that Dichio was back in the lineup!
I guess that's what happens when you leave the country for a couple of weeks... you miss out on details!

Stryker
08-16-2008, 12:21 AM
Yeah Dichio's back and good to go.
I just checked the website and Robert looks good too for sunday so Im gonna change my line up to:

Robert---Robinson---Harmse---Ricketts

jloome
08-16-2008, 01:41 AM
We need more creativity inside. Ricketts should move in for a game (as he can play defense quite well when needed) and Wynne should move up to right mid. Play Attakora at right back instead. I know Wynne's crossing hasn't impressed, but he also hasn't tried that many. And beyond that, he cuts inside well and beats people on the dribble.

Plus his defensive positioning hasn't looked solid all year, and Attakora's looked good last week.

---------------Sutton---------------
Attakora--Velez--James--Brennan

Wynne---Ricketts--Robinson---Robert

------------Barrett----Dichio------------

It's worth an experiment, although I doubt we'll see it.

Fiin
08-16-2008, 04:59 AM
Even though I like the Wynne for M idea to try, I would not in a million years put him there before Brennan personally.

Hard to guess who they will start between Danny or Smith, only cause I think they are gonna be real careful with Danny for a couple more games.

DOMIN8R
08-16-2008, 05:52 AM
Ricketts---Robinson---Guevera---Robert

Nuvinho
08-16-2008, 06:04 AM
When everyone is back, and the players who are supposedly sold:

-------------------Sutton-------------------------
Wynne----------Velez---------Marshall------Brennan
--------------------Robinson----------------------
Ricketts-------------------------------------Robert
--------------------Guevara-----------------------
--------------Dichio---------Barrett---------------

supersubs: Jarrod Smith for Robert, Johann Smith for Dichio

Stugatzo
08-16-2008, 06:07 AM
Ricketts---Robinson---Guevera---Robert

FTW:hump:

Ehsan
08-16-2008, 09:24 AM
----Barrett---Dichio---Jo. Smith----
----Robert---Guevara (Edu)----Ricketts
----Brenna---Marshall (James)---Velez---Wynne
---------- Sutton "the king"---------

with Dichio in the line up, 3 up front makes a lot of sense to me, he is a target man/slow, he'd be perfect in the middle... he could be subbed out in 2nd half, move Jo. Smith to middle and bring Ibbe in on the right.
Chad and Johann are young and perfect to make runs and help out on the midfield. I think 4-3-3 works for us, carver should try it more often for the boys to sink into it.

this assumes that Edu plays this sunday and is then off to Scotland which takes care of Amado's suspension.

Ossington Mental Youth
08-16-2008, 09:26 AM
----------------------Sutton---------------
-Wynne------Velez------James-----------Brennan
Ricketts --------Edu----Robinson-------Robert
--------------Barrett--------Dichio------------

If Robert is still injured Gala (if not Gala, Smith) will play in his place
Wynne cant play Attakora (or Hemming, prob Attakora)
Edu cant play then Harmse (if hes still injured Rosenlund)
Dichio, then Smith (with Ibrahim as a sub in the 60th)

Wrote this 2 days ago before signings (and Edu leaving) so count Harmse as starting instead of Edu
Sub for Dichio will be Jo Smith, doesnt know team and may be out of shape.

Dont forget Guevaras going to be gone this game as well with that red

poppamidnight
08-16-2008, 11:25 AM
I cant figure out Harmse......

I've not seen anything positive from him.... All negative (notably that red)....

IMO, Hemming should always get the nod over him, and as of late, i'd rather see Rosenlund start ahead of him....
If we want to pull out a decision, this would be the lineup to get it done (probably wont be the lineup):

___Chad____Danny___Ibbe ----------> (Jo. Smith sub in for Ibbe/Danny around the 80)
Robert____________Ricketts ----------> (Hemming in for Ro-"i dont play ze defanse"-bert 75)
_________Robbo________
Jimmy__James__Velez__Attakora ------> (Wynne in for Attakora...at half?)
________Sutton__________

BANG!!!
TFC -3
RBNY (are Shiiite) - 0

.....simple as that

And for once, not being under the pressure to do so, I wanna see Carver use ALL THREE of the bloody subs to keep some fresh legs out there!!! (we always tail off in the 2nd half cuz he never utilizes all his subs!!!)

dannyd
08-16-2008, 11:34 AM
I cant figure out Harmse......

I've not seen anything positive from him.... All negative (notably that red)....

IMO, Hemming should always get the nod over him, and as of late, i'd rather see Rosenlund start ahead of him....
If we want to pull out a decision, this would be the lineup to get it done (probably wont be the lineup):

___Chad____Danny___Ibbe ----------> (Jo. Smith sub in for Ibbe/Danny around the 80)
Robert____________Ricketts ----------> (Hemming in for Ro-"i dont play ze defanse"-bert 75)
_________Robbo________
Jimmy__James__Velez__Attakora ------> (Wynne in for Attakora...at half?)
________Sutton__________

BANG!!!
TFC -3
RBNY (are Shiiite) - 0

.....simple as that

And for once, not being under the pressure to do so, I wanna see Carver use ALL THREE of the bloody subs to keep some fresh legs out there!!! (we always tail off in the 2nd half cuz he never utilizes all his subs!!!)

This line up makes the most sense to me. Robinson doesn't play well with another midfielder, all he does is dish it out the wings anyway (or at least try) so why not play 3 mid, 3 up front. And I would love to see Wynne not start anymore in defense. He's too much of a liability.

Ossington Mental Youth
08-16-2008, 11:48 AM
Dont think we will see 4-3-3 for a while, i suspect that formation was out of necessity

poppamidnight
08-16-2008, 12:07 PM
This line up makes the most sense to me. Robinson doesn't play well with another midfielder, all he does is dish it out the wings anyway (or at least try) so why not play 3 mid, 3 up front. And I would love to see Wynne not start anymore in defense. He's too much of a liability.

I dont think Wynne's a liability, cuz we all know he can catch ANY player in MLS... ANY player....

this is some myth put forth by the wonderfully bias Craig Forrest ("I was at Jimmy B's Wedding!!!!"....Everyone, applause for Craiggy)

I dont think Wynne will start cuz he might be gassed from Beijing... Wont last a full 90 mins, and would be better for him to come off the bench (plus Attakora looked good)... Wynne's lungs are probably still adapting to normal air (actually its NY, so, "somewhat" normal air)

jloome
08-16-2008, 06:45 PM
I dont think Wynne's a liability, cuz we all know he can catch ANY player in MLS... ANY player....

this is some myth put forth by the wonderfully bias Craig Forrest ("I was at Jimmy B's Wedding!!!!"....Everyone, applause for Craiggy)

I dont think Wynne will start cuz he might be gassed from Beijing... Wont last a full 90 mins, and would be better for him to come off the bench (plus Attakora looked good)... Wynne's lungs are probably still adapting to normal air (actually its NY, so, "somewhat" normal air)

Bollocks, some of us have been saying his positional play is shit for about a year now. Catching another player isn't what we need, because that means we give the opposing team all the space in our zone up to the byline and can't keep their other forward players out of the box by playing an offside trap. If he then allows even a third of those balls in from the wing -- or the opposition then cuts inside -- we're left exposed with half their team in our offensive zone and plenty of chances and picking up scraps.

For examples of where this happened, see: just about every game we've lost this year.

jabbronies
08-16-2008, 07:40 PM
--------Barret-------
Robert---------Ricketts
----Robinson-Hemming---
JB-Nana-Marshall-Wynne

Good lineup, more so because you don't have Velez in there.
But I would take out Hemming and put in Johan Smith up front with Barret

------Barret--Smith-----
Robert------------Ricketts
----Guevara----Robinson
JB-Nana-Marshall-Wynne

I also moved Robinson over to the right to fill in for Wynne when he makes a made dash up to forward.
This also gives Guevera and Robert the left side to play with each other (not like that) with Barrett

RPB_Brantford_08
08-16-2008, 07:57 PM
Sutton

Wynne.....Velez.....Marshall....James

Ricketts......Robinson.....Robert

Smith....Barrett....Dichio

go to a 4-3-3 and go all out for a win.

jloome
08-16-2008, 08:04 PM
Sutton

Wynne.....Velez.....Marshall....James

Ricketts......Robinson.....Robert

Smith....Barrett....Dichio

go to a 4-3-3 and go all out for a win.

If you wanted to go this route, it would be

Barrett..........Dichio.........Smith

You put your target man in the middle, Barrett played well as a right-sided forward and Smith played on the left at Bolton.

poppamidnight
08-16-2008, 09:48 PM
Bollocks, some of us have been saying his positional play is shit for about a year now. Catching another player isn't what we need, because that means we give the opposing team all the space in our zone up to the byline and can't keep their other forward players out of the box by playing an offside trap. If he then allows even a third of those balls in from the wing -- or the opposition then cuts inside -- we're left exposed with half their team in our offensive zone and plenty of chances and picking up scraps.

For examples of where this happened, see: just about every game we've lost this year.

WTF are you talking about...

I (or anyone here) has yet to see a Wynne "catch me when you can" position f-up that has cost us a goal...
...it just never happens....

The only time the balls get crossed in is obviously when no players are in the middle (cuz when Wynne's catching up opposition players are still only 3/4 down the field...

Sure, you may not be comfortable with it,
but it Never hurts us...

And more imporantly, shouldnt you be more concerned about the SOURCE of those turnovers in the first place???
i.e. Robert or Robbo (surprise surprise look at their paycheque's)???

dannyd
08-16-2008, 09:54 PM

I (or anyone here) has yet to see a Wynne "catch me when you can" position f-up that has cost us a goal...

The only time the balls get crossed in is obviously when no players are in the middle (cuz when Wynne's catching up opposition players are still only 3/4 down the field...

Sure, you may not be comfortable with it,
but it Never hurts us...

And more imporantly, shouldnt you be more concerned about the SOURCE of those turnovers in the first place???
i.e. Robert or Robbo (surprise surprise look at their paycheque's)???

I gotta disagree with you about Wynne. I love the guy, he plays with a lot of heart and has great speed - he's a threat going forward. But I just don't think he should start until his defending abilities improve a little. It's not just his positioning, I just don't think he can defend in general. Hopefully he can improve, I wanna see him stay with TFC for years to come.

neuf
08-16-2008, 10:15 PM
I really don't trust our defense enough to play a 4-3-3.

TFC07
08-16-2008, 10:29 PM
Good lineup, more so because you don't have Velez in there.
But I would take out Hemming and put in Johan Smith up front with Barret

------Barret--Smith-----
Robert------------Ricketts
----Guevara----Robinson
JB-Nana-Marshall-Wynne

I also moved Robinson over to the right to fill in for Wynne when he makes a made dash up to forward.
This also gives Guevera and Robert the left side to play with each other (not like that) with Barrett

- Guevara is still suspended!
- Robert is back now?
- Marshall is out with an injury I believe.

Stryker
08-16-2008, 10:36 PM
Robert is back now?
Yes.

druid
08-17-2008, 08:05 AM

I'll second that WTF.

This is jloome's pet theory which he can't backup: It's the full backs! Its getting tired.

Someone might also want to point out that in a 4-3-3 you'd want to drop at least Robert and possibly Rickets for more of a box to box midfielder.

jloome
08-17-2008, 09:05 AM
I'll second that WTF.

This is jloome's pet theory which he can't backup: It's the full backs! Its getting tired.

Someone might also want to point out that in a 4-3-3 you'd want to drop at least Robert and possibly Rickets for more of a box to box midfielder.

Well, if you morons really require the minute-by-minute breakdown, as I did with Ricketts, you get to do it this time. I can back it up: watch the fucking game videos. Blind as fucking bats, both of you.

druid
08-17-2008, 11:59 AM
Well, if you morons really require the minute-by-minute breakdown, as I did with Ricketts, you get to do it this time. I can back it up: watch the fucking game videos. Blind as fucking bats, both of you.

In your last ramble you stated that the full backs stayed back against Colorado and this made our defense much more solid. Which put's your theory to bed.

Our defense was crap. Colorado went through us like water. The only thing that kept it from being 5-1 was the fact that Colorado couldn't finish a small diet coke in a heat wave.

So please give our fullbacks some respect and back away from the personal comments.

jloome
08-17-2008, 12:05 PM
In your last ramble you stated that the full backs stayed back against Colorado and this made our defense much more solid. Which put's your theory to bed.

Our defense was crap. Colorado went through us like water. The only thing that kept it from being 5-1 was the fact that Colorado couldn't finish a small diet coke in a heat wave.

So please give our fullbacks some respect and back away from the personal comments.

Here's a suggestion: use your head before you post and read, don't just rely on conjecture In our last game, Wynne -- who is the only person I've criticized in this thread -- wasn't there.

I haven't, in this thread, said our fullbacks are an issue, although they are. I've said Wynne gets caught forward, which leaves space behind him, which allows the opposition to mass their offense. He does close his man down eventually with his exceptional speed, yes, but he a) only shuts off the cross about half the time and b) allows him so deep that our defense can no longer play the trap.

And it's hardly my pet theory. Try reading the boards a little more closely, since it's been discussed in just about every thread featuring wynne recently.

As for suggesting I'm inconsistent? No, you're just not using your noggin. I said the fullbacks stayed back in the last game which is part of why we won. I'm criticizing a fullback here for going forward too much, a full back who didn't play in that game.

For future reference: you can't piss in the corner of a round room, if everyone died when the plane crashed it doesn't matter what side of the border it was on and no, the guy really isn't the son of the former dictator of Nigeria and he doesn't really have $35.6 million in escrow for you.

Corpand
08-17-2008, 12:15 PM
http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_ives/2008/08/johann-smith-to.html

jloome
08-17-2008, 12:31 PM
Have a poll going on this in the news thread...

druid
08-17-2008, 01:26 PM
Here's a suggestion: use your head before you post and read, don't just rely on conjecture In our last game, Wynne -- who is the only person I've criticized in this thread -- wasn't there.

That would be my point. Our defense was shite and your whipping boy wasn't there. And the fullbacks weren't getting forward.

I haven't, in this thread, said our fullbacks are an issue, although they are.

You have now and anyone who's read your previous posts knows it.

I've said Wynne gets caught forward, which leaves space behind him, which allows the opposition to mass their offense. He does close his man down eventually with his exceptional speed, yes, but he a) only shuts off the cross about half the time and b) allows him so deep that our defense can no longer play the trap. And it's hardly my pet theory. Try reading the boards a little more closely, since it's been discussed in just about every thread featuring wynne recently.

If Wynne has license to go forward the gap he leaves is not his responsibility, simple as. If you're not happy with the gap look to our midfield and other defenders.

Is he a bit headless? Yep. Are there better fullbacks in the world? Sure. Is his going forward the reason for our woes? No.

As for suggesting I'm inconsistent? No, you're just not using your noggin. I said the fullbacks stayed back in the last game which is part of why we won.

Perhaps you're posting a bit too hastily. I didn't say you were inconsistent. I said your idea is wrong. Let me type it slow for you:

1) Our fullbacks in Colorado stayed back
2) Our defense wasn't better, it was shit
3) We only avoided a real doing because Colorado couldn't score in a whore house

For future reference: you can't piss in the corner of a round room, if everyone died when the plane crashed it doesn't matter what side of the border it was on and no, the guy really isn't the son of the former dictator of Nigeria and he doesn't really have $35.6 million in escrow for you.

While I shouldn't really stoop to respond to this part of your post, let me just say that the quality of your arguments isn't really helped by your personal attacks on other posters and you'd be better off leaving it out.

a.ungaro
08-17-2008, 01:34 PM
Is that a joke nascar or are you doin a Glasgow Rangers XI?

Johann Smith shouldn't start. If that guy is starting for us we have serious problems. I'd rather go with a lone striker Barret.

--------Barret-------
Robert---------Ricketts
----Robinson-Hemming---
JB-Nana-Marshall-Wynne

i like this lineup

tlear
08-17-2008, 01:50 PM
Robert is out, I guess Smith will start instead

poppamidnight
08-17-2008, 01:52 PM
Robert is out, I guess Smith will start instead

can u post link for this???

(good news by the way)

Ibbe____Dichio___Barrett ------> (Hemming in for Dichio once we pot a couple)
Jo. Smith______Ricketts
_______Robbo______
Brennan_Velez_James_Attakora ------>(wynne in for Attakora at half)

Please Carver, adjust your bloody midfield depth-chart: Hemming>>>>>Rosenlund>Harmse

profit89
08-17-2008, 02:02 PM
I wanna team of 11 Jimmy B's, 11 Jimmy B's..........

UltraSuperMegaMo
08-17-2008, 02:12 PM
I have no objection to Smith getting some time today, but if Robert is out why would we play Smith ahead of Gala? Every time Gala has played for TFC he has impressed, he even started to games last year. Why would Carver start Smith, who’s presumably practised with the team all of once, over a player who’s been with TFC since day one?

dantdot
08-17-2008, 02:16 PM
can u post link for this???

(good news by the way)

Ibbe____Dichio___Barrett ------> (Hemming in for Dichio once we pot a couple)
Jo. Smith______Ricketts
_______Robbo______
Brennan_Velez_James_Attakora ------>(wynne in for Attakora at half)

Please Carver, adjust your bloody midfield depth-chart: Hemming>>>>>Rosenlund>Harmse

I'd like to see something like this but Carver has a thing for Harmse, he'll probably start him with Robbo and we lose Ibbe or Dichio.

Ossington Mental Youth
08-17-2008, 02:20 PM
Smith might play as a striker rather than a winger, from what i read hes been more effective on the us u-20s as a striker (if im not mistaken)

UltraSuperMegaMo
08-17-2008, 02:31 PM
I’d like to see Smith play today as a second half sub., use the pace we’ve been hearing about to run past the tired Red Bulls. Ibrahim, Smith, Gala, Attakora, Hemming - all of a sudden the team’s not looking so old. With a little luck TFC could be the Arsenal of the MLS!

jloome
08-17-2008, 04:02 PM
Yeah, go cry somewhere else. Your original posts were condescending and featured no cogent argument, so I responded in kind.

I'd like to see the 4-3-3 again today with Dichio in the target role dishing to Barrett and Smith. It'll be interesting.

That would be my point. Our defense was shite and your whipping boy wasn't there. And the fullbacks weren't getting forward.

You have now and anyone who's read your previous posts knows it.

If Wynne has license to go forward the gap he leaves is not his responsibility, simple as. If you're not happy with the gap look to our midfield and other defenders.

Is he a bit headless? Yep. Are there better fullbacks in the world? Sure. Is his going forward the reason for our woes? No.

Perhaps you're posting a bit too hastily. I didn't say you were inconsistent. I said your idea is wrong. Let me type it slow for you:

1) Our fullbacks in Colorado stayed back
2) Our defense wasn't better, it was shit
3) We only avoided a real doing because Colorado couldn't score in a whore house

While I shouldn't really stoop to respond to this part of your post, let me just say that the quality of your arguments isn't really helped by your personal attacks on other posters and you'd be better off leaving it out.

BigD
08-22-2008, 10:29 AM
So for tomorrow I am wondering what lineup we will see ... my guess is (if healthy)

-------Dichio ----- Barrett -------
--Jo. Smith ------------Ricketts--
------------Guevara-------------
------------Robinson-------------
Brennen--James--Marshall--Wynne
-------------Sutton--------------

Subs: Ruiz (F), Ja. Smith (F), Ibbe (F), Hemming (M), Harmse (M), Velez (D), Attakora (D), Edwards (GK)

If Marshall is still hurt I would like to see Attakora in there. I think Ibbe gets sent back to the Developmental squad (possibly with Ja. Smith). I could see Ruiz starting but I don't think they will in his first game.

When I look at that ... I am thinking if they can work together they could be a good team.

nimamalek
08-22-2008, 10:34 AM
-------Ruiz ------- Barrett ------
-------Guevara--Robinson--------
Brennen--Velez--Marshall--Wynne

Damien
08-22-2008, 10:38 AM
-------Guevara--Robinson--------

Guevara's a lil far back in your line-up....

-----------Guevara--------------
------------Robinson------------

Ossington Mental Youth
08-22-2008, 10:50 AM

Looks about right to me

Rawkus_420
08-22-2008, 11:37 AM
[quote=Keegan;139332]

quote]

Sorry I'm just reading this thread now, Im assuming the mentioneig of Johann smith not starting was before the game last week right???

I say this because after watching the game last week, i thought he was our best offensive player...his pace was too much for whoever that shiite RB was, he burned him a few times....and he came back on D which is a vast improvement form Robert

Wooster_TFC
08-22-2008, 11:39 AM
I think you'll see something more along the lines of:

--------Ruiz/Dicho----Barrett------------
----------------------------------------
--------Guevara------------------------
Johann--------------------------Ricketts
---------------------Robinson-----------
Brennan----Marshall-----Velez----Wynne

So really, a traditional 4-4-2 with Guevara pushing a little up and Robinson dropping a little back. I think with Robinson's passing strength being the short pass, we'll see Guevara playing more of a CM role than he's been playing so far. Robbo as DM, Guevara as box-to-box CM, Ricketts and Smith as wingers. We really need to have Guevara's playmaking presence in the middle of the field, earlier in our attack build-up IMO.

LucaGol
08-22-2008, 11:44 AM
Im going to post this again, because I think it would work massively well....tentatively referred to as "the Marvell Wynne formation"

----- Velez -- Marshall -- James
Wynne ------------------------ Brennan
------- Robinson -- Guevara
------------- Ricketts
----------------------- Johann Smith
---------- Barrett

Features:

1. Wynne and Brennan have more of a green light to attack and reduced (albeit still present) defensive responsibility

2. Ricketts plays centrally where he achieved success on at least 2 occasions I can remember

3. Attack dependent on the cooperation of the front trident and the link play of Guevara in the middle.

4. Formation is easily adaptable depending on the needs of the game. 5 at the back, 3 at the back..packing the midfield with 5 or 6 players...its all on in this formation.

Ossington Mental Youth
08-22-2008, 11:53 AM
Question:
Are these threads about who/how we'd like to see the XI/formation or are they threads about how we truly think they will play?

Ossington Mental Youth
08-22-2008, 11:54 AM
[quote=Keegan;139332]
Johann Smith shouldn't start. If that guy is starting for us we have serious problems. I'd rather go with a lone striker Barret.[quote]

Sorry I'm just reading this thread now, Im assuming the mentioneig of Johann smith not starting was before the game last week right???

I say this because after watching the game last week, i thought he was our best offensive player...his pace was too much for whoever that shiite RB was, he burned him a few times....and he came back on D which is a vast improvement form Robert

Not to mention the fact that he's played all of 40 minutes for us and you cant judge a player to be crap after that period of time

Pigfynn
08-22-2008, 11:56 AM

This is what I think they should do for sure

LucaGol
08-22-2008, 11:57 AM
Question:
Are these threads about who/how we'd like to see the XI/formation or are they threads about how we truly think they will play?

I would say its a thread that was intended for reality, but has been carried out in fantasy.....the best type of realm there is.

Ossington Mental Youth
08-22-2008, 12:04 PM
I would say its a thread that was intended for reality, but has been carried out in fantasy.....the best type of realm there is.

HAHAHA
life is so much easier there, isnt it?

tlear
08-22-2008, 12:12 PM
Wynn -- Velez -- Marshall -- Brennan
Rickets - Robbo - Guevara - Jo Smith
------------- Ruiz
-------------Barret

Have Ruiz and Guevara do whatever they want, see if that helps

Chevy
08-22-2008, 12:19 PM
Is Ruiz going to be available for Saturday's game???

Ossington Mental Youth
08-22-2008, 12:25 PM
Should be

Smenge
08-22-2008, 12:25 PM
Ask Jloome, he knows everything, and is quickly transforming into our version of Bill Archer....smart guy, knows a lot, but like a child, goes apeshit anytime sombody disagrees with him.

Ossington Mental Youth
08-22-2008, 12:26 PM
Dunno bout that, we've disagreed on many occasions, i suspect he doesnt like being insulted, strange that

Big Bruva
08-22-2008, 12:26 PM
Yes.

Where did you find out he was back?

Big Bruva
08-22-2008, 12:36 PM

This looks right to me too

nimamalek
08-22-2008, 03:36 PM

i find he plays better when he comes back and collects the ball from the defense, rather than waiting for Robo or one of the back 4 to get him the ball

Damien
08-22-2008, 03:39 PM
i find he plays better when he comes back and collects the ball from the defense, rather than waiting for Robo or one of the back 4 to get him the ball

He shouldn't have to. His position is Attacking Mid.

Wooster_TFC
08-22-2008, 03:51 PM
He shouldn't have to. His position is Attacking Mid.

Yes, but to be brutally honest, there's no way Robbo's going to be able to get the ball forward if we are playing 4 in the mid, and Guevara's playing AM. Both Ricketts and Smith are wingers IMO, and aren't likely to be great outlet options to then send the ball to Guevara. Unless you're expecting Brennan and Wynne to be options, you have to get the ball to Guevara in a short pass situation. Banking on Robbo stringing a pass through the midfield to Guevara higher up is just waiting for disaster.

v00d00daddy
08-22-2008, 04:24 PM
-------Ibbe------- Barrett ------
Brennen--Velez--James------Wynne

Just based on what Carver said in the lead up to N.E. on the TFC video site. Marshall is unlikely and he hasn't even spoken to Ruiz yet, let alone seen him. He's not in town yet so it's up in the air. I would imagine that Ruiz will start with Barrett up front but only if he's here in time. Maybe he'll come in as a sub.

Sounds like Marshall is still a no go so I would expect J.J or Attakora to fill in. This game could be ugly.

bangersandmash
08-22-2008, 04:27 PM
Just based on what Carver said in the lead up to N.E. on the TFC video site. Marshall is unlikely and he hasn't even spoken to Ruiz yet, let alone seen him. He's not in town yet so it's up in the air.\

If you haven't seen a player on a Friday, you don't start him on a Saturday, unless the first six letters on the back of his shirt are RONALD. I hope we see a little Ruiz tomorrow. NE will be a tough nut.

v00d00daddy
08-22-2008, 04:29 PM
If you haven't seen a player on a Friday, you don't start him on a Saturday, unless the first six letters on the back of his shirt are RONALD. I hope we see a little Ruiz tomorrow. NE will be a tough nut.

Yeah.. meant to say that i would imagine that Ibbe will start. My bad. There's an off chance that we will see Dichio as well. I guess we'll see tomorrow.

Ossington Mental Youth
08-22-2008, 04:49 PM
Do we know that the thing was filmed today?
If it was yesterday or the day before it could be that he will start.
Thats a bit disheartening tho

jloome
08-22-2008, 05:08 PM
Here's what I think we'll see

-----Sutton-------
Wynne-Velez-James-Brennan
Ricketts-Robbo-Guevara-Smith
-----barrett----dichio----

The big guy'll be back and start, Ruiz -- if he's available --will make a sub appearance, Johann Smith will set up one goal, Guevara the other, TFC wins 2-1.

v00d00daddy
08-22-2008, 06:15 PM
Do we know that the thing was filmed today?
If it was yesterday or the day before it could be that he will start.
Thats a bit disheartening tho

I hope he's available but Carver referred to "tomorrow" when talking about the N.E. game so I would assume it was filmed today.

LucaGol
08-22-2008, 06:24 PM
Yes, but to be brutally honest, there's no way Robbo's going to be able to get the ball forward if we are playing 4 in the mid, and Guevara's playing AM. Both Ricketts and Smith are wingers IMO, and aren't likely to be great outlet options to then send the ball to Guevara. Unless you're expecting Brennan and Wynne to be options, you have to get the ball to Guevara in a short pass situation. Banking on Robbo stringing a pass through the midfield to Guevara higher up is just waiting for disaster.

Indeed.

I can't believe after all this discourse about Robbo being a poor passer of the football that so many of you have agreed with the formation where he is placed at the apex of link play.

Like...hello....this is why we're suffering in games....LINK PLAY....aka ball from the defense to the front lines.

Guevara will play in a deeper role if John Carver knows anything about tactics and his players. Otherwise, we're doomed for a repeat of the last 7 or 8 poor performances.

v00d00daddy
08-23-2008, 12:26 AM
Indeed.

I can't believe after all this discourse about Robbo being a poor passer of the football that so many of you have agreed with the formation where he is placed at the apex of link play.

Like...hello....this is why we're suffering in games....LINK PLAY....aka ball from the defense to the front lines.

Guevara will play in a deeper role if John Carver knows anything about tactics and his players. Otherwise, we're doomed for a repeat of the last 7 or 8 poor performances.

I agree 100%. Shhhhhhh don't say this too loud. Criticizing Robbo gets some people around here mighty mad.

It's pretty sad. All of this shit about I hate complaining posts/threads and why don't you talk about something constructive about this team. Then we go and do it, trying to discuss the starting XI and the upcoming game with N.E. and it's they're the least commented on threads going.

No worries though. All the super optimists are talking about important TFC things like the War of 1812, streamers, our "anthem", riddles, and the Can v. Jamaica game.

I know I'm coming off as a whiner but hey ladies and gentelmen.....just calling a spade a spade. I get shit on for being a complainer and there some of you guys are talking about Glass Tiger v. The Beach Boys. Wow.

Cue the thread hijacking comments. Oh wait, people actually have to be reading a thread to be upset about it being hijacked. My mistake, why would anyone being reading a thread about tomorrows game? :rolleyes:

p.s. I like the Sloop John B idea too. :p

LucaGol
08-23-2008, 09:28 PM
Im going to post this again, because I think it would work massively well....tentatively referred to as "the Marvell Wynne formation"

----- Velez -- Marshall -- James
Wynne ------------------------ Brennan
------- Robinson -- Guevara
------------- Ricketts
----------------------- Johann Smith
---------- Barrett

Features:

1. Wynne and Brennan have more of a green light to attack and reduced (albeit still present) defensive responsibility

2. Ricketts plays centrally where he achieved success on at least 2 occasions I can remember

3. Attack dependent on the cooperation of the front trident and the link play of Guevara in the middle.

4. Formation is easily adaptable depending on the needs of the game. 5 at the back, 3 at the back..packing the midfield with 5 or 6 players...its all on in this formation.

I don't wanna brag....but Carver played the exact formation I suggested, more or less...

I think it still looks better the way I have it mapped out, but obviously, you can see the benefits of freeing up Wynne and Brennan, which is really the key to the whole scheme.

Ossington Mental Youth
08-23-2008, 09:48 PM
Its true, and i thought you were nuts.
I stand corrected.
It was a bit confusing to figure out everyones position but it looked good and worked really well. Curious to see if it changes in the future.

Bobo
08-25-2008, 04:12 PM
With Attakora out and Ruiz arriving, I'm thinking this for next game.

Wynne--Velez--Marshall--James
-----Robbo-----
---Ricketts-----Brennan---
--------Guevara--------
--Ruiz-----Barrett--

Need to see a bit more of Jo. Smith before we can say he's worthy of the starting lineup. Till then, his speed is an asset off the bench.

T_Mizz
08-25-2008, 04:20 PM
Lookin good Bobo and no I'm not coming on to you, that was directed at your post.

Ossington Mental Youth
08-25-2008, 04:24 PM
With Attakora out and Ruiz arriving, I'm thinking this for next game.

Wynne--Velez--Marshall--James
-----Robbo-----
---Ricketts-----Brennan---
--------Guevara--------
--Ruiz-----Barrett--

Need to see a bit more of Jo. Smith before we can say he's worthy of the starting lineup. Till then, his speed is an asset off the bench.

Kinda think youre right, especially after last game when Jo made a late entry. You might even seen JaSmith start on the wing and Brennan still at the back. I personally would like to see JoSmith start on the wing but i guess itll still be a bit as his skills need some refining.