PDA

View Full Version : Midfielder Manuel Diego Tello

jabbronies
08-15-2008, 12:39 PM
... has been training with Toronto all week.

http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20080815&content_id=180349&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280

Stryker
08-15-2008, 12:39 PM
Midfielder Manuel Diego Tello has been training with Toronto all week.

"He's a young Spanish player who was at Real Madrid and Levante. He's a free agent, and we've been having a look at him all week. He'll be with us until early next week, and then we'll make a decision," said Carver. When asked about player movement, Carver responded: "There are at least two things going on. We could have one signing by the weekend. I can promise you we are quite close."

http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20080815&content_id=180349&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280

jloome
08-15-2008, 12:40 PM
Former Levante player; I smell a Robert connection. Came out of Real Madrid youth academy.

Hey, what happened to this thread? Someone else (jabbonie?) posted that Manuel Diego Tello was training all week and now it's just my reply under his thread. weird.

Shaughno
08-15-2008, 12:42 PM
Interesting...

denime
08-15-2008, 12:47 PM
Threads moved and merged.

koryo
08-15-2008, 12:48 PM
Does anyone know anything about this fellow? What sort of player is he? Strengths, weaknesses?

Will he improve this team if signed?

jloome
08-15-2008, 12:48 PM
Muchas Gracias. Interesting -- looks like he'll be the guy right away, if they're simply slotting in an immediate replacement for Edu.

GabrielHurl
08-15-2008, 12:50 PM
Crude Babelfish translation

Skilful player technically very good. Good pin and great distributor. He knows to read the game perfectly, always choosing the best option. Very hardworking and disciplined. Really, a very serious and basic player in any club.

Stryker
08-15-2008, 12:55 PM
Sounds somewhat promising.

Damien
08-15-2008, 12:57 PM
No wikipedia on him :(

dantdot
08-15-2008, 12:57 PM
A little googling and it seems he's played for the Real Madrid B team, other Real Madrid junior teams and a few starts for the Spanish under 16,19,20 and 21 teams.

http://72.14.205.104/search?q=cache:V3m889EBh2YJ:www.mushofutbol.com/manuel-diego-tello-jorge-t9823.html+Manuel+Diego+Tello+Jorge&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=2&gl=ca&client=firefox-a

and I think that's him
http://www.joinfutbol.com/fotos/8319g.jpg

Billy the kid
08-15-2008, 01:02 PM
Defensive midfielder like Edu?

Jack
08-15-2008, 01:08 PM
Well, since Edu's moved, this makes sense.

DigzTFC!
08-15-2008, 01:12 PM
This is the type of move that makes me happy! Young spanish player in the midfield. Could be the David Silva of the MLS hahaha

Jack
08-15-2008, 01:13 PM
Silva's more of a winger, though.

invictusTFC
08-15-2008, 01:15 PM
If he can distribute the ball out of the midfield and make accurate passes, then thats already more than Edu was able to do all season...

Jack
08-15-2008, 01:15 PM
Jugador diestro técnicamente muy bueno. Buen pasador y gran distribuidor. Sabe leer perfectamente el partido, eligiendo siempre la mejor opción. Muy trabajador y disciplinado. En definitiva, un jugador muy serio y básico en cualquier club.Scouting report from the Spanish site posted above. It says:

"Very technically sound, right-footed player. Good passer and great distributor. Reads the game perfectly and always chooses the right option. Hard-working and disciplined. Definitely a very serious player and a necessity in any club."

OneLoveOneEric
08-15-2008, 01:16 PM
Scouting report from the Spanish site posted above. It says:

"Very technically sound, right-footed player. Good passer and great distributor. Reads the game perfectly and always chooses the right option. Hard-working and disciplined. Definitely a very serious player and a necessity in any club."

That would be refreshing....

Red Rat
08-15-2008, 01:17 PM
he's got the hair, that is all.. get him!

Jack
08-15-2008, 01:19 PM
And just so we learn it right from the beginning, it's "Tay-o" not "Tell-O"

Shaughno
08-15-2008, 01:20 PM

Ahhh a proper translation. :lol: Sounds much better than "basic player for a club" :rofl:

poppamidnight
08-15-2008, 01:20 PM
he's got the hair, that is all.. get him!

So did cunny a while back with his fro.....

didnt turn out so well :noidea:

Oh... I would like to see Marshall bring back his season-kickoff hair from the columbus game....

That was wicked

invictusTFC
08-15-2008, 01:21 PM

Jack the translator... lol

Do you know that Jose Mourinho started off as a translator for Bobby Robson in Portugal...

Jack = the new special one... JC's natural replacement

... but I digress

Shaughno
08-15-2008, 01:22 PM
:rofl: Jack, the kinda special one

gtaguy
I like this guy already.... I hope he shows hes got talent and we sign him..

Im sure we can make up a song kinda like the Dora the explorer " Go Diego Go "

and before anyone asks i have a couple of nieces so i know this shit..

Heathen

Tay-o, Tay-o
Diego come and we win at home

DigzTFC!
Does anyone really know his position or are we assuming he's a replacement for Edu? He has been trialing all week so there's a chance the Edu offer wasn't even on the table at that point

invictusTFC
08-15-2008, 01:23 PM
:rofl: Jack, the kinda special one

Do you mean "riding the short bus" kinda special? lol

Shaughno
08-15-2008, 01:25 PM
Does anyone really know his position or are we assuming he's a replacement for Edu? He has been trialing all week so there's a chance the Edu offer wasn't even on the table at that point

I highly doubt this 'offer' for Edu came in today. I bet it's been in the works for weeks.

Do you mean "riding the short bus" kinda special? lol

Yup, ask him he'll tell you he's special! :lol:

I_AM_CANADIAN
08-15-2008, 01:26 PM
He looks a bit like Messi...

Hopefully he resembles Messi in other ways, too. :D

Ossington Mental Youth
08-15-2008, 01:27 PM
HAHAHA
i highly doubt that Rangers agreed to 5 million at the spur of the moment

GabrielHurl
08-15-2008, 01:28 PM

Only about 30 minutes late Jack :D

TFCREDNWHITE
08-15-2008, 01:29 PM
OOOoooohhh this sounds very very nice! I like the sound of Tello coming in and distributing the ball! I'm sure he has a very keen eye for how passes are to be completed!!

Shaughno
08-15-2008, 01:31 PM
Only about 30 minutes late Jack :D

But the first one to post a PROPER translation. :lol:

DigzTFC!
08-15-2008, 01:32 PM
I'm going to got out a limb here and say he's a winger because he's 5"7 and 150 lbs. There is now way he's the replacement for Edu.

And I'm not saying it was the spur of moment deal...I'm saying the 5 Million might not have been there earlier in the week

invictusTFC
08-15-2008, 01:32 PM
Just curious... JC said that Tello has been on trial for the past week and that he is going to continue to be on trial for another week. Does it really take 2 weeks to determine whether a guy has enough quality to be signed? Surely you can see that after a couple of practices, no?

Shaughno
08-15-2008, 01:34 PM
Just curious... JC said that Tello has been on trial for the past week and that he is going to continue to be on trial for another week. Does it really take 2 weeks to determine whether a guy has enough quality to be signed? Surely you can see that after a couple of practices, no?

If he's unattached (not sure is he still with Levante?) it could just be training while the paperwork gets completed.

H Bomb
08-15-2008, 01:36 PM

I'd just disagree with this. We're obviously not just trying to pick up another body with him. We'd be using an Inter. spot and need to make sure that he will be a quality addition to the squad. One or two days is not nearly enough time to properly judge a player

DigzTFC!
08-15-2008, 01:36 PM
If he's unattached (not sure is he still with Levante?) it could just be training while the paperwork gets completed.

or it could fitness. The guy has to be in mid season form without a training camp. Carver also might want him a little more fit to judge his game too.

invictusTFC
08-15-2008, 01:38 PM

makes sense... if he is a decent prospect lets hope that immigration doesn't fuck things up... on a related note (if he were a hockey player the leafs were trialling his paperwork would have been pushed through days ago)

Jack
08-15-2008, 01:39 PM
From what it says on that website, he's a central midfielder. "Medio" is a pretty general term, but usually they use it to describe a central midfielder .

I'm going to got out a limb here and say he's a winger because he's 5"7 and 150 lbs. There is now way he's the replacement for Edu.

Well, not a direct replacement. But Edu was sort of lost in his role anyway, so we don't need a direct replacement.

Pablo Aimar is pretty small but he tends to play in the middle.

DigzTFC!
08-15-2008, 01:41 PM
From what it says on that website, he's a central midfielder. "Medio" is a pretty general term, but usually they use it to describe a central midfielder .

I read that too, but 5"7 and 150 lbs as a CM? Thats pretty small for this league, but you could be right. I'm basing it on size alone really

invictusTFC
08-15-2008, 01:42 PM
I'd just disagree with this. We're obviously not just trying to pick up another body with him. We'd be using an Inter. spot and need to make sure that he will be a quality addition to the squad. One or two days is not nearly enough time to properly judge a player

you can see quality right away... its obvious... now taking a few more days to try to ascertain a players mindset or character is a different story... the fact that this guy came through the Real Madrid youth system already tells me that he has more quality then a good percentage of our roster...

Shaughno
08-15-2008, 01:43 PM
If he has the talent, who cares how big he is. Guevara will punch anyone out anyway if they touch our players. :lol:

H Bomb
08-15-2008, 01:44 PM
you can see quality right away... its obvious... now taking a few more days to try to ascertain a players mindset or character is a different story... the fact that this guy came through the Real Madrid youth system already tells me that he has more quality then a good percentage of our roster...

Agreed, but being a free agent in august at 24 leaves other questions to be answered

Shaughno
08-15-2008, 01:44 PM

Agreed, talent is talent and that's easy to pinpoint. Figuring out if they player will work well with your system, your roster, your tactics, your climate, etc. That's what takes time. Well that and the stupid paperwork.

Shaughno
08-15-2008, 01:45 PM
Agreed, but not being a free agent in august at 24 leaves other questions to be answered

True, but it just means that a team can pick him up on a Bosman. Doesn't mean he's absolutely shite. He obviously hasn't gotten his name out there yet, but somebody noticed enough to bring him here.

DigzTFC!
08-15-2008, 01:46 PM
I'm still kind of confused about signing international guys and this window. So any team can sign unattached players up until September 15th including internationals?

H Bomb
08-15-2008, 01:47 PM
fo sho, I'm all for it. But I'm glad they aren't signing him first and asking questions later. it's shows me that Mo has grown in his position and is getting better through experience.

Nodoubtguy
08-15-2008, 01:47 PM

Yeah, you won't be on Real Madrid B unless someone sees some serious talent.....

Shaughno
08-15-2008, 01:49 PM
I'm still kind of confused about signing international guys and this window. So any team can sign unattached players up until September 15th including internationals?

I believe the 'international transfer' status only applies to a player currently employed by a team outside of North America. I could be wrong though.

Beach_Red
08-15-2008, 01:50 PM
If he has the talent, who cares how big he is. Guevara will punch anyone out anyway if they touch our players. :lol:

And Wynne plays like a hockey enforcer....

DigzTFC!
08-15-2008, 01:50 PM
I'm really glad they're trialing him first. Paulo Nagamura was Arsenal youth product....just to give an example that things don't always pan out as well as people thought

invictusTFC
08-15-2008, 01:52 PM
True, but it just means that a team can pick him up on a Bosman. Doesn't mean he's absolutely shite. He obviously hasn't gotten his name out there yet, but somebody noticed enough to bring him here.

It could also mean that a lot of teams in Europe were scared away by his size at the position he plays. While that may play a major factor in the top leagues in Europe, I think its less of a factor here despite the supposed physical nature of this league.

Shaughno
08-15-2008, 01:55 PM
I'm really glad they're trialing him first. Paulo Nagamura was Arsenal youth product....just to give an example that things don't always pan out as well as people thought

True... he scored a goal in his last game though, I believe. :p

It could also mean that a lot of teams in Europe were scared away by his size at the position he plays. While that may play a major factor in the top leagues in Europe, I think its less of a factor here despite the supposed physical nature of this league.

Also a very good point. A small CM in most European leagues doesn't work. Some players can pull it off, but it's damn tough to do. I think his size wouldn't be as much of a factor here.

GabrielHurl
08-15-2008, 02:03 PM
But the first one to post a PROPER translation. :lol:

Damn you Jay http://forum.football365.com/images/smiley_icons/2.gif http://forum.football365.com/images/smiley_icons/2.gif http://forum.football365.com/images/smiley_icons/2.gif http://forum.football365.com/images/smiley_icons/2.gif http://forum.football365.com/images/smiley_icons/2.gif http://forum.football365.com/images/smiley_icons/2.gif http://forum.football365.com/images/smiley_icons/2.gif http://forum.football365.com/images/smiley_icons/2.gif

Shaughno
08-15-2008, 02:04 PM
Well come on! A Basic player for any team... really? WTF does that mean?? :lol: :rofl:

Marco2K
08-15-2008, 02:09 PM
ALERT!!!

He is not signed.

Like dozens of other players this year. they find out what MO is offering and they take off on the next plane out of toronto.

Lets just hope he does not mind playing for 300 000.

If he was really good a team would have picked him up by now.

I hate that we are one of the last options in the whole world for free agents

bgnewf
08-15-2008, 02:11 PM
All speculative tripe lads until I see a pic on the TFC website with the guy holding a TFC jersey. Mo has brought in more triallists this season than Charlie Sheen brings in hookers to his dressing room.

And the last time I looked midfield is probably the last place we need help right now relatively speaking. How about a center back Mo...how about, perish the thought, a striker???

UltraSuperMegaMo
08-15-2008, 02:12 PM
People seem to be tossing the term "young" around in relation to this guy, but is 24 really that young in terms of European football? You’d think at 24 a player of any talent would have some first experience.

Lucky Strike
08-15-2008, 02:18 PM
I highly doubt this 'offer' for Edu came in today. I bet it's been in the works for weeks.

Indeed that's true. This has been coming for a couple weeks now, at least according to the info out there.

Lucky Strike
08-15-2008, 02:22 PM
I believe the 'international transfer' status only applies to a player currently employed by a team outside of North America. I could be wrong though.

Sounds right to me. It's similar to England, where there is a transfer window, but it is much longer for free transfers and loans. I get the impression it's the same deal here.

Ossington Mental Youth
08-15-2008, 02:24 PM
we've got a guy on trial, thats not enough, hes got great pedigree, not enough, hes young, not enough, hes free (whihc is beneficial!!!), not enough

Good thing people are realistic and not demanding

DigzTFC!
08-15-2008, 02:26 PM
He does have first team experience with Levante doesn't he?

UltraSuperMegaMo
08-15-2008, 02:29 PM
There’s not a huge amount of info. out there about Tello. It looks like he’s been with the Levante first time but never played a match for them.

TFCREDNWHITE
08-15-2008, 02:36 PM
I wish we could find out more about this guy. I need more info!! Like why wasn't he good enough for other european teams!?!

loconet
08-15-2008, 02:40 PM
Here is his Levante profile:

http://en.levanteud.com/images/jugadores/jugador129.jpg

http://en.levanteud.com/levanteb/plantilla/20072008/Tello.html

Worth noting that Levante was relegated last season.

invictusTFC
08-15-2008, 02:44 PM

He started 19 of 28 games for Levante last season who were in the Primeira Liga... That is not bad at all if you ask me...

king10
08-15-2008, 02:46 PM
He started 19 of 28 games for Levante last season who were in the Primeira Liga... That is not bad at all if you ask me...

more games then robert started at derby and they were relegated from the epl

arbogast
08-15-2008, 02:47 PM

it's still a higher level than mls.

I think people have seriously got to check their expectations. we play in a footballing backwater, on turf in an already backwater league. if this guy actually wants to play here, we should be so lucky.

brad
08-15-2008, 02:48 PM
I wish we could find out more about this guy. I need more info!! Like why wasn't he good enough for other european teams!?!

Can't read too much into that. Kenny Cooper spent 3 or 4 years with Manchester United, and was released before coming to the MLS. No other teams jumped on him, and players that like that that don't make the cut at United often get snapped up by other teams.

UltraSuperMegaMo
08-15-2008, 02:49 PM

The links reads "levanteb" - I’m pretty sure that those are appearances for Levante B not the Primeira Liga team.

Shaughno
08-15-2008, 02:52 PM
^^ Agreed about playing for the B squad.

LucaGol
08-15-2008, 02:55 PM
The good news is that chants will be easy for him since his last name ends in "o".

invictusTFC
08-15-2008, 02:56 PM
The links reads "levanteb" - I’m pretty sure that those are appearances for Levante B not the Primeira Liga team.

Sorry, missed that. However, we picked up Jarrod Smith from Hawkes Bay United. a guy that played for Levante B must certainly be an upgrade, no?

Shaughno
08-15-2008, 02:59 PM
^^ I think you'll find the skill set between the two Smiths quite different. Jarrod hustles but lacks the quality needed to be a good striker. Johann seems to be the opposite, not only does he hustle but he's able to use his pace to his advantage. Can apparently beat defenders and win fouls and makes some pretty good runs.

Another bonus over Jarrod, he's a domestic American player.

Jack
08-15-2008, 03:02 PM
He played for the B squad and that says he's taller than 5'7" (180cm is closer to 5'11")

If he weighs only 70 kilos and is 180 cm he's a bit of a beanpole.

He has played mainly in Segunda Division B, which is two levels down from la Primera Division (known usually as La Liga). So he's not as good as we initially thought and he wasn't playing in La Liga last season, or even in the second division. This is the equivalent of a League One player in England.

That's why his trial has lasted so long, I would think.

Also, he's very much listed as a central midfielder on that website in the graphic they supply to show his position.

UltraSuperMegaMo
08-15-2008, 03:04 PM
^^ I think you'll find the skill set between the two Smiths quite different. Jarrod hustles but lacks the quality needed to be a good striker. Johann seems to be the opposite, not only does he hustle but he's able to use his pace to his advantage. Can apparently beat defenders and win fouls and makes some pretty good runs.

Another bonus over Jarrod, he's a domestic American player.

I’m not sure why that’s a bonus. I’m not up on all the roster ins and outs, but won’t TFC have to use some of its international slots for American players anyways?

DigzTFC!
08-15-2008, 03:04 PM
I'm would think even the reserve league in the primera would be a better place to develop than MLS....I'm for it if Carver thinks he makes the grade after two weeks of trialing? Why so much pessimism?

and yes Jack you were right...want a trophy hahaha

Shaughno
08-15-2008, 03:05 PM
I’m not sure why that’s a bonus. I’m not up on all the roster ins and outs, but won’t TFC have to use some of its international slots for American players anyways?

I haven't looked at our status recently, but he could slot into the spot Cunny was occupying as a Domestic American I would assume.

Regardless, the option is there where with Jarrod it's not.

Shaughno
08-15-2008, 03:06 PM
Why so much pessimism?

Dude, you realize what board you're on???? :noidea:

:rofl: :rofl:

Jack
08-15-2008, 03:09 PM
I'm would think even the reserve league in the primera would be a better place to develop than MLS....I'm for it if Carver thinks he makes the grade after two weeks of trialing? Why so much pessimism?

Actually, in Spain, the reserve teams play in the league structure, rather than a separate "reserve" loop. So, for example, Barcelona B or Real Madrid B usually play in the Segunda B division, but sometimes get promoted to Segunda. Usually they don't last long in Segunda, since their good players either get sold or called up to the first team.

loconet
08-15-2008, 03:09 PM
.. he wasn't playing in La Liga last season, ....

He was listed as a sub in a few games in La Liga, but yes, never subbed in. I can't find any recorded minutes for him with the 1st team :(

DigzTFC!
08-15-2008, 03:16 PM
And Ricketts could hardly get a game with Barnsley. This guy could be good. We play in the MLS fellas not exactly a huge step up from other second division leagues around the world.

Jack
08-15-2008, 03:17 PM
He was listed as a sub in a few games in La Liga, but yes, never subbed in. I can't find any recorded minutes for him with the 1st team :(

Right...as a player for the reserve squad, he probably got called on for a few games if there were injuries/suspensions etc.

At least it's a good sign that he was one of the callups.

And Ricketts could hardly get a game with Barnsley. This guy could be good. We play in the MLS fellas not exactly a huge step up from other second division leagues around the world.
Or third, in some cases :D

UltraSuperMegaMo
08-15-2008, 03:18 PM

Just for the sake of discussion I would assume. He might work out great. He might be the Spanish Andy Welsh.

Bobo
08-15-2008, 03:23 PM
Also a very good point. A small CM in most European leagues doesn't work. Some players can pull it off, but it's damn tough to do. I think his size wouldn't be as much of a factor here.

Unless you're Portuguese. :eek:

Super
08-15-2008, 03:29 PM
Tay-o, T.O.

Sounds like a perfect fit!

Jack
08-15-2008, 03:43 PM

Yes...an MLS Cup trophy!

TorontoUnitedScout
08-15-2008, 07:25 PM
skysports has this guy 5 out of ten................heres the thing it starts at 4.....ha

TFCREDNWHITE
08-15-2008, 07:43 PM
skysports has this guy 5 out of ten................heres the thing it starts at 4.....ha

I don't understand?? Please elaborate.......

BigLou
08-15-2008, 07:45 PM
I can hear the song already.

TAY-O come and we win the game.
TAY!
ME SAID TAY, ME SAID ME SAID TAYYYOO.
TAY-0 COME IN WE WIN THE GAME.

jloome
08-15-2008, 08:04 PM
Actually, the "if he was really good someone else would have him" line is kind of retarded.

If he's an attacking midfielder, then he's likely being picked up to play in the hole, for when Carver wants to go with one striker, and as a backup to Guevara the rest of the time. He'd be a depth player.

I'd also note that the earlier translation sounds like a sports agent sales pitch (the wording is always very similar ("he's big, strong, has two great feet and is fast, a great asset to any team"). Like I said in another thread, Sky readers rated him a 5.0 (you can find the google cache somewhere) which usually translates to "has some skills but not the brain for the game."

We'll see. If he's a depth player, great. If he's an overlooked gem, also great. Thank god int'l slots aren't tied to number of starts, like Euro work permits.

Torcida
08-15-2008, 11:09 PM
I always forget that for some reason and mispronounce Villareal. Or David Villa.

Jack
08-15-2008, 11:12 PM
It's easy.

In Spanish, double "L" is pronounced like "Y". :D

Dirk Diggler
08-15-2008, 11:55 PM

5 is the default rating.

Jack
08-16-2008, 12:25 AM
I wouldn't trust Skysports rating on a player from a team that's not in the top five of any league other than an English one.

GhostPK
08-16-2008, 01:07 AM
I can hear the song already.

TAY-O come and we win the game.
TAY!
ME SAID TAY, ME SAID ME SAID TAYYYOO.
TAY-0 COME IN WE WIN THE GAME.

I think this is a keeper.

Maple Leaf Red
08-20-2008, 10:58 AM
I wouldn't trust Skysports rating on a player from a team that's not in the top five of any league other than an English one.
Yeah, skysports viewer ratings are the equivalent of the TSN.ca article comments section: Home of the mentally deficient.

H Bomb
08-20-2008, 11:04 AM
It's easy.

In Welsh double L is pronounced thschlshshlshlsh

Shaughno
08-20-2008, 11:07 AM
In welsh double L is pronounced thschlshshlshlsh

I thought it was more of a throaty sound?

lchlchclchclch or something like that :D :lol:

SilverSamurai
08-20-2008, 11:09 AM
It's easy.

IF you're from the north. lol
South American Spanish generally has a different pronunciation. Almost like "dg" like the word edge.

Go w/ the northern way! A lot easier!

H Bomb
08-20-2008, 11:13 AM

I thought it was more of a throaty sound?

lchlchclchclch or something like that :D :lol:

yeah basically. Put your tongue on the top of your mouth and starting drooling loudly. A beautiful language! :lol:

Fort York Redcoat
08-20-2008, 11:14 AM
Sounds like we need to try him with players going out and our backups not really shining...

Chevy
08-20-2008, 12:22 PM

Somebody with far more knowledge than I should start a ranking of all the various soccer leagues, from Europe to South America to MLS. We are always compariing League One to MLS to the Mexican League, etc, etc...

Anybody want to take a shot? I think it would start a great debate.

J

jloome
08-20-2008, 01:32 PM
Somebody with far more knowledge than I should start a ranking of all the various soccer leagues, from Europe to South America to MLS. We are always compariing League One to MLS to the Mexican League, etc, etc...

J

That's a great idea! I'm gonna do it this afternoon when I have a few minutes.

Jack
08-20-2008, 02:32 PM

J

That's a great idea! I'm gonna do it this afternoon when I have a few minutes.
That would be a very difficult ranking to determine.

Comparing leagues is a silly exercise, because a lot of it comes down to which style you like better and personal perception.

DigzTFC!
08-20-2008, 02:40 PM
I think its more important the style of player that comes into the league. If Tello is a typical spanish player with good passing, good vision, good techique but a lack of power, he might be good in this league. For instance, a lot of these England players we look at are bruisers or track stars. Ricketts doesn't fit that description and is in part why he didn't fit into Barnsley all that much.

Keep in mind MLS is a possession style league when assessing players....

Ossington Mental Youth
08-20-2008, 02:51 PM
Any new news on this guy?
Any rumors on how he looks or if we are signing him??

jloome
08-20-2008, 03:21 PM
That would be a very difficult ranking to determine.

Comparing leagues is a silly exercise, because a lot of it comes down to which style you like better and personal perception.

"Silly"is a bit harsh, Jack. To two-thirds of the world, watching grown men run around in short shorts booting a piece of cowhide is pretty dumb, too.

It's a debatable point, that's why it's fun. And lots of fun things are silly. Chip Buttys. Beer. Convertibles.

Jack
08-20-2008, 03:39 PM
Hey...I never said it wouldn't be fun and a great debate.

But it's still a silly exercise. :D

jloome
08-20-2008, 03:44 PM
Hey...I never said it wouldn't be fun and a great debate.

But it's still a silly exercise. :D

Yeah, long too.... I've already given up.

For one, once you get past the top 7 (Spain,England p, England 1, France, Germany, Italy, Holland, not necessarily in that order) there's very little difference between domestic top leagues.

I'd say you have a small number that due to either good initial financing or long establishment belong in a next tier (Russia, Japan, Portugal, Brazil, Argentina);

And then there's everyone else, picking up the scraps. I don't think if you watched a decent MLS game, then watched a decent K-League game, or Austrian league, or Norway, or swedish league, you'd see much difference.

Chevy
08-20-2008, 03:44 PM
Here is a beast of a list containing all the domestic leagues. Reader beware!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_association_football_competitions

Jack
08-20-2008, 03:56 PM
I'd have to put Mexico in that first group. I watched that league on a weekly basis and it's definitely on par with a tier two league in Europe. There is a lot of money in Mexican football and one of the reasons you haven't seen many Mexicans go to Europe is that (plus some pretty draconian contract rules they used to have).

For me you've got something like this:
1. Spain
1. England
1. Italy (though slipping slightly, still right up there)
1a. France
1a. Germany
2. Holland
2. Mexico
2. England 1
Then it goes on from there...

UltraSuperMegaMo
08-20-2008, 04:02 PM
Any new news on this guy?
Any rumors on how he looks or if we are signing him??

I was wondering the same. For no new news on this guy, the thread seems to be going strong.

Troll
08-20-2008, 11:25 PM
I'd have to put Mexico in that first group. I watched that league on a weekly basis and it's definitely on par with a tier two league in Europe. There is a lot of money in Mexican football and one of the reasons you haven't seen many Mexicans go to Europe is that (plus some pretty draconian contract rules they used to have).

For me you've got something like this:
1. Spain
1. England
1. Italy (though slipping slightly, still right up there)
1a. France
1a. Germany
2. Holland
2. Mexico
2. England 1
Then it goes on from there...

Your list is garbage. How does Mexico, England 1, and Holland place before Portugal? Fuck, I'd even place Portugal level with France.

Brooker
08-20-2008, 11:37 PM
what the fuck is everybody talking about

isnt this thread about Tello or am I tripping out?

TFC 420
08-21-2008, 12:00 AM
Mo was on extra time today and said that Tello has gone home. His size and speed were mentioned by Mo as being a liability in the MLS. Tello may have also underestimated the level of football played in North America.

Brooker
08-21-2008, 12:03 AM
......well so much for that.

NEXT!

Jack
08-21-2008, 12:43 AM
Your list is garbage. How does Mexico, England 1, and Holland place before Portugal? Fuck, I'd even place Portugal level with France.

You're right, Portugal should be in there. But realistically, outside of about 3 or 4 teams, the Portuguese league is not on par with the other top leagues in Europe. As to your statement that my list is garbage...well..you're obviously biased.

But I would place the Portuguese league as a "2"

Smenge
08-21-2008, 07:49 AM
League Championship in England is barely on par with MLS, and certainly below the second tier clubs from Spain and Germany, and Italy.......I suppose you maintain your bias for anybody who uses the word shite, instead of merde, or plain old, shit.

Shaughno
08-21-2008, 08:02 AM
League Championship in England is barely on par with MLS, and certainly below the second tier clubs from Spain and Germany, and Italy.......I suppose you maintain your bias for anybody who uses the word shite, instead of merde, or plain old, shit.

What the hell kind of argument is that? Seriously.

IMO, the hardest part in trying to decide which leagues stack up to each other is how different the styles of football are. The Championship is certainly similar to the second tier clubs from Spain and Italy but it has better parity across the league for the most part. Germany's second teir is a step below that I'd say.

arbogast
08-21-2008, 08:12 AM

you're way off base dude. the CCC is on par with MLS and some would argue it's actually higher calibre.

Smenge
08-21-2008, 08:12 AM
None of us can be sure of any of this, the argument is purely based on personal bias. The only inter-league competition, I can remember, took place in the 1980s and early 1990s, between the top teams from serie b and league championship......i cannot find the reference in the internet, and don't want to waste time searching, but from what i remember, the teams from italy easily dominated all the games.....without stomping on anybody's ethnicity or nationality, i don't think England produces enough top players to support so many teams in their Country, and must always rely on international players to both round out the team, and to provide the best players........it explains why aging players like Robert can stick around so long...his mediocrity did not begin with his tenure at TFC....England produces a few Rooney's, but also many Andy Welshs......Serie B, from what I have witnessed, has many tremendous young Italian players, but also many from abroad....and while they don't score a lot of goals, the game is, in my view, more interesting than what i have seen from the Englishh counterpart.

invictusTFC
08-21-2008, 08:19 AM
The Segunda Liga and Serie B are by far the best 2nd tier leagues in Europe. They are much better than a lot of 1st or premier league divisions across Europe. The Championship is a distant 3rd IMO, therefore not worthy of top 10 consideration. I would rank the top divisions in Portugal, Turkey, Greece and Russia above the Championship. Furthermore, there are several clubs from countries like Croatia, Belgium, Poland etc. who would hump the average Championship side.

Shaughno
08-21-2008, 08:22 AM
The Segunda Liga and Serie B are by far the best 2nd tier leagues in Europe. They are much better than a lot of 1st or premier league divisions across Europe. The Championship is a distant 3rd IMO, therefore not worthy of top 10 consideration. I would rank the top divisions in Portugal, Turkey, Greece and Russia above the Championship. Furthermore, there are several clubs from countries like Croatia, Belgium, Poland etc. who would hump the average Championship side.

That I can agree on for the most part. I think the Championship is closer than a distant 3rd personally. Though I definitely agree about the top divisions in Portugal, Turkey, etc. are above the Championship.

Ossington Mental Youth
08-21-2008, 08:25 AM
Gotta take into account that some of those leagues have amazing top teams and shit mid/bottom ones too, theres a serious dichotomy between the two (or three, i guess)

Shaughno
08-21-2008, 08:27 AM
Gotta take into account that some of those leagues have amazing top teams and shit mid/bottom ones too, theres a serious dichotomy between the two (or three, i guess)

That's what I was saying about the Championship. I think it actually has the best, or close to it, parity across the league.

invictusTFC
08-21-2008, 08:33 AM
I think we're dealing with apples and oranges here. The MLS is quite unique and can't be compared that well to European based leagues. There is some MLS talent that can IMO play in some of the top leagues in the world, while other players would struggle to cut it in some lower tier leagues. Thats the problem with MLS, there is a huge disparity in terms of talent from one player to the next. If I were to compare the MLS in terms of competitiveness, I would have to compare it to the J-League or A-League.

rocker
08-21-2008, 08:40 AM
i've watched the championship (thanks Setanta!). their players are much smarter from the first guy on the team to the last, than MLS players. MLS has some smart players, but not throughout the whole lineup.

MLS teams play a much more simple/straightforward style that can be choppy. The MLS teams have better athleticism, but the Championship teams have better soccer IQs. I mean, the CCC teams do these great, smart little pass-and-move plays, sometimes thinking ahead 3-4 passes. MLS players tend to look ahead only to the next pass, with a lot of individual attempts at making things happen. The CCC guys can look like lumbering oafs at times, but they make up for it with brains. and the CCC guys are more team play oriented. also don't make as many bad tackles as the players in MLS, probably because in MLS you have some guys at the end of the roster who probably shouldn't be in MLS, and aren't as talented or properly trained.

Jeffro
08-22-2008, 05:25 PM
TFC has passed on Tello. He has been sent packing.

Marco2K
08-22-2008, 06:18 PM
What a suprise.

You want to know what i am afraid of.

MO- (in a scotish accent.)
We can offer you 200 000 a year.

Tello
Are you kidding me?
Im out of here.

1 day later mo is telling us that he was sent packing.

LucaGol
08-22-2008, 06:26 PM
What a suprise.

You want to know what i am afraid of.

We can offer you 200 000 a year.

Tello
Are you kidding me?
Im out of here.

1 day later mo is telling us that he was sent packing.

Ya ok, try this coversation

We can offer you 17K a year.

Tello
Are you kidding me?
Im out of here.

jloome
08-22-2008, 08:55 PM
More likely he pissed off when Robert was released.

Beach_Red
08-22-2008, 09:59 PM
More likely he pissed off when Robert was released.

Do you think he saw Robert play here?

Ossington Mental Youth
08-23-2008, 02:00 AM
Or perhaps he played on the b team that got relegated and couldnt provide the service needed...

Nah, Mos definitely at fault...

jloome
08-23-2008, 11:56 AM
Do you think he saw Robert play here?

No, he was at Levante with Robert, and I'm assuming that connection is how he ended up here in the first place; if the player I played with/liked/revered/whatever was cut the week I was trying out -- when he'd been a first-team starter and I'd been a reserve team player -- I wouldn't like my chances too much.

Chevy
08-23-2008, 12:29 PM
I think we're dealing with apples and oranges here. The MLS is quite unique and can't be compared that well to European based leagues. There is some MLS talent that can IMO play in some of the top leagues in the world, while other players would struggle to cut it in some lower tier leagues. Thats the problem with MLS, there is a huge disparity in terms of talent from one player to the next. If I were to compare the MLS in terms of competitiveness, I would have to compare it to the J-League or A-League.

I have a thread in the International Section talking about ranking all the major global leagues. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Beach_Red
08-23-2008, 02:48 PM
No, he was at Levante with Robert, and I'm assuming that connection is how he ended up here in the first place; if the player I played with/liked/revered/whatever was cut the week I was trying out -- when he'd been a first-team starter and I'd been a reserve team player -- I wouldn't like my chances too much.

You gotta hope any young athlete sees a not-producing veteran waived as big opportunity and wants to go for it as hard as he can. If he doesn't want to step up at that point, that should raise a big red flag.

Being out of contract is probably the only reason anyone ends up on trial here - I bet every single player out of contract in the world has received the same call from TFC.

ginkster88
08-23-2008, 02:55 PM
The guy was Levante B and R. Madrid B. If he had anything he would still be over there. Plus, he was tiny. At his age, if he was any good he would be on a first team somewhere in Europe.

ag futbol
08-24-2008, 11:10 AM
The guy was Levante B and R. Madrid B. If he had anything he would still be over there. Plus, he was tiny. At his age, if he was any good he would be on a first team somewhere in Europe.
Quite seriously, we could make the same arguement about Robinson, Ricketts, and however else we'd like to throw down on that list.

MLS guys, "unattached" trialist is pretty much par for the course.

loconet
08-24-2008, 02:05 PM
Quite seriously, we could make the same arguement about Robinson, Ricketts, and however else we'd like to throw down on that list. .

Except that Robinson and Ricketts actually have 1st team matches (and goals) under their belt.

ag futbol
08-24-2008, 03:19 PM
Levante “B” (and Real Madrid B) are actual teams that play in the lower levels of the Spanish league system, so he does actually get to start. So kind of like we brought in guys like Martian Britain to trail, this is really no different.

Ricketts scored two goals in a period of many years with various clubs.

There's no reason on paper why this guy can't be a servicable player in MLS (not saying that he is, but that's not my point).

loconet
08-24-2008, 03:37 PM
..lower levels ...

That was my point.

You can't compare him with Ricketts and Robo. Tello does not have a single minute with the respective "higher" level teams recorded (that others and I have been able to find). He never cracked that ceiling. So no, you can't have make the same argument. Tello is considerably further down the list.

ag futbol
08-24-2008, 03:52 PM
Last i checked the championship was a lower level also. Real Madrid Castilla (or real Madrid B) has played in the second division and third division in spain Levante also plays further down the table as well.